Forums/Armchair-GM

Potential Miller spots

Created by: Warpbox
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 30, 2022
Published: Aug. 30, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Interested to hear peoples thoughts. Do you think these teams could trade for Miller? Do you think another team might? Do you think these packages are fair?
Trades
VAN
  1. Peeke, Andrew
  2. 2023 1st round pick (CBJ)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
First is top 5 protected
CBJ
  1. Miller, J.T. ($2,625,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Doubt Columbus fans want Miller but Columbus really is a wild card after Gaudreau. Could see them going after Miller as a centre for Gaudreau and Laine well mentoring the young guys
VAN
  1. Eller, Lars
  2. Iorio, Vincent
  3. 2023 1st round pick (WSH)
WSH
    JT Miller.

This is more likely to me. This is one of the last few years Washington can go for it and Miller would be a great add. Vancouver gets a big, defensive, shutdown RD prospect in Iorio who is from here along with a first in a stacked draft class and Ellet who can be flipped for a pick.
    VAN
    1. Kerfoot, Alexander
    2. Niemelä, Topi
    3. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
    TOR
    1. Schenn, Luke
    Additional Details:
    JT Miller (50%)

Toronto is going to have to win soon. Miller stacks the second line and adds a physicality that the leafs have lacked. Vancouver gets a great RD prospect in Niemela, a hometown kid who can fill in at 3 C in Kerfoot, and a first in a stacked draft class.
    VAN
    1. Lysell, Fabian
    2. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
    BOS
      JT Miller (50%) Vancouver can also take a one year cap dump. (Miller has extension)

This one I’m less sure about. Miller would be a great Bruin and likely would extend there. Not sure if Bruins would give up Lysell but this could be the current cores last chance at a cup and then Miller can take up 1 C role in the future for them. Not entirely sure though
      VAN
      1. 2023 1st round pick (COL)
      2. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
      COL
        JT Miller (50%)

Genuinely not Familiar with Colorados prospect system, but assume the 2024 first is switched out with an equal prospect. Vancouver can also take Girard + something but not sure if Colorado would want to do that
        Buyouts
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the CBJ
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the BOS
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the CBJ
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        24$82,500,000$86,200,001$1,250,000$2,000,000-$3,700,001
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
        $7,350,000$7,350,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 2
        $6,650,000$6,650,000
        RW
        UFA - 3
        $4,750,000$4,750,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 4
        $4,125,000$4,125,000
        C
        UFA - 1
        $4,950,000$4,950,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 4
        $3,250,000$3,250,000
        LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $2,650,000$2,650,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 2
        $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        RW, C
        UFA - 3
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RW, LW
        RFA - 2
        $750,000$750,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Boston Bruins
        $894,167$894,167
        RW
        RFA - 4
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        LW, C, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Washington Capitals
        $2,415,000$2,415,000
        C
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $7,850,000$7,850,000
        LD
        UFA - 5
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        G
        UFA - 4
        $7,260,000$7,260,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $762,500$762,500
        G
        UFA - 2
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $750,000$750,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
        $787,500$787,500
        RD
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Washington Capitals
        $845,000$845,000
        RD
        RFA - 4
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $856,667$856,667
        RD
        RFA - 3
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 3
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
        LW, RW
        RFA - 1
        $762,500$762,500
        RD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 6:53 p.m.
        Jones is Underpaid
        Quoting: coga16
        you dont give him away for a rental, that is just poor asset management

I disagree. I would say it's poor asset management to keep something you have an excess of when you have other issues that need addressing, such as offensive depth when we are in a win-now mode. Girard, while he is a great player, isn't necessary, we won the cup without him for most of the run. Letting him go for someone who makes us much better now is what we should be trying to do if we're trying to win now.

Miller gives us two things: 1) A 1st line forward who will be playing 2nd line, and he could take minutes away from the lower lines and allow them more rest for things like penalty killing, plus he has great offensive upside. 2) Cap space after next season, it'll give us more flexibility to re-sign Newhook and Byram (accounting for EJ's contract satisfying Nate's extension).

Now, I get that Girard is a signed for a long time, but we need to give space and roster spots for players like Byram, and in the future, prospects coming up (Behrens, for instance). Girard is creating an unnecessary surplus that could be easily solved by simply trading him!

And even though Miller is a rental, by the time we trade for him and after this next post-season, I believe that Newhook will have shown he can be a 2C behind Nate. So I think we can fill the rest of the holes through free agency and further trading (we still do have a decent prospect pool).

Also I really don't think we should be paying a 3rd pairing defenseman $5 million after EJ's deal is up, cause that's the role he will have unless we move him (same thing if we move him to RD and send Manson down to the bottom pairing).

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk smile
        Warpbox liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
        Quoting: Juiceman
        Why do you always treat Miller like a grizzled old veteran? He is 29 years old and will be for the whole season. He isn't at the end of his prime

Why do you always chery pick in order to make your failed point? I said he is going to be overpayed, is a 2c on the Avs and is a rental. Guys aging out of their prime is also one of the things the Avs have been vocal about avoiding. I think Miller is still in his prime. However, giving 7 year deals at north of 7m to 30 year olds is bad business outside a special few.
        Fox_Czar_Cup and HOCKEYBOY448 liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 6:58 p.m.
        Quoting: Warpbox
        I figured he wouldn’t be, but wasn’t entirely sure. If the Bruins were to trade for Miller, what do you think the package would be?

Only way it works for Boston is if 1st/Zacha or 1st/Debrusk are the primary pieces. If that’s of no interest then cross us off the list. But there is the X factor. Don S is in charge. And he does dumb 💩. Although to be fair he generally does ok on trades. It’s free agency he hasn’t quite figured out yet. Give him a couple more years, he’s getting there. 🙄
        Warpbox liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 6:59 p.m.
        Quoting: Nqutilus
        I disagree. I would say it's poor asset management to keep something you have an excess of when you have other issues that need addressing, such as offensive depth when we are in a win-now mode. Girard, while he is a great player, isn't necessary, we won the cup without him for most of the run. Letting him go for someone who makes us much better now is what we should be trying to do if we're trying to win now.

Miller gives us two things: 1) A 1st line forward who will be playing 2nd line, and he could take minutes away from the lower lines and allow them more rest for things like penalty killing, plus he has great offensive upside. 2) Cap space after next season, it'll give us more flexibility to re-sign Newhook and Byram (accounting for EJ's contract satisfying Nate's extension).

Now, I get that Girard is a signed for a long time, but we need to give space and roster spots for players like Byram, and in the future, prospects coming up (Behrens, for instance). Girard is creating an unnecessary surplus that could be easily solved by simply trading him!

And even though Miller is a rental, by the time we trade for him and after this next post-season, I believe that Newhook will have shown he can be a 2C behind Nate. So I think we can fill the rest of the holes through free agency and further trading (we still do have a decent prospect pool).

Also I really don't think we should be paying a 3rd pairing defenseman $5 million after EJ's deal is up, cause that's the role he will have unless we move him (same thing if we move him to RD and send Manson down to the bottom pairing).

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk smile

I agree with most points but Miller is not an ideal PK guy
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
        Quoting: Gofnut999
        Only way it works for Boston is if 1st/Zacha or 1st/Debrusk are the primary pieces. If that’s of no interest then cross us off the list. But there is the X factor. Don S is in charge. And he does dumb 💩. Although to be fair he generally does ok on trades. It’s free agency he hasn’t quite figured out yet. Give him a couple more years, he’s getting there. 🙄

Sounds horrible. Maybe hire Jim Benning? Reform the D with OEL?
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
        Ex Nucks fan
        Quoting: MeetYourMakar
        Why do you always chery pick in order to make your failed point? I said he is going to be overpayed, is a 2c on the Avs and is a rental. Guys aging out of their prime is also one of the things the Avs have been vocal about avoiding. I think Miller is still in his prime. However, giving 7 year deals at north of 7m to 30 year olds is bad business outside a special few.

Hypocritical. The Last year, Landeskog was signed to a 7 million dollar contract for 8 years. He was 28 at the beginning of last season. Miller is 29 right now. Landeskog is being payed 7 mil until he is 36. Must be a bad contract then
        Knuckl3s liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:09 p.m.
        Quoting: Fox_Czar_Cup
        But that's negative value?!

Whoops. My bad. Tried to slip one in there.
        Fox_Czar_Cup and Warpbox liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:11 p.m.
        Jones is Underpaid
        I agree with most points but Miller is not an ideal PK guy

No no I meant he provides rest FOR the PK guys by spending more time on the ice with top 6 (most pk guys are on our bottom lines)
        Warpbox liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
        I don’t think Boston does this, it would have to be something other than Lysell and McLaughlin, and any of our top 6, top 3 D-man, or any of our goalies. That’s your choice but that how Boston accepts I would say.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:36 p.m.
        Hypocritical. The Last year, Landeskog was signed to a 7 million dollar contract for 8 years. He was 28 at the beginning of last season. Miller is 29 right now. Landeskog is being payed 7 mil until he is 36. Must be a bad contract then

I think the question is will Miller extend for $7 mil though?
        MeetYourMakar and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:49 p.m.
        They really don’t need RW. They have Boeser and Garland with Hoglander and Mikheyev both capable of the right side. I imagine a VAN BOS trade would be Miller for futures

If Vancouver doesn't need RW then why ask for Lysell whose a RW?
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:50 p.m.
        Ex Nucks fan
        Quoting: ON3M4N

Well yall dont really have much else. Carlo would be my first ask
        Warpbox and Knuckl3s liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:52 p.m.
        Well yall dont really have much else. Carlo would be my first ask

That's why Boston and Vancouver don't match up well for a trade. Miller isn't a need this season and Boston can't be trading away their good prospects since we have so few tears of joy
        Warpbox and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.

He’s a prospect more then anything. They don’t need a RW that needs NHL time right now
        Knuckl3s liked this.

lol, Landy signed at 28 and Miller will be 30 when this next deal starts. The team who signs Miller is getting 2 less years of "prime". Follow it up with will Miller sign for 7m?
        When he gets to 36, Landy might be on a bad deal. It isn't lost on Avs fans. Currently he's underpaid so w.e.
        Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:55 p.m.
        He’s a prospect more then anything. They don’t need a RW that needs NHL time right now

I won't be shocked if Lysell see NHL action this year. He likely starts the year in the AHL, but I could see him getting some games later in the season or of injuries happen.
        Warpbox liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:56 p.m.
        I won't be shocked if Lysell see NHL action this year. He likely starts the year in the AHL, but I could see him getting some games later in the season or of injuries happen.

Yeah, but it’s not like he needs top 6 minutes
        Knuckl3s liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 8:00 p.m.
        Ex Nucks fan
        lol, Landy signed at 28 and Miller will be 30 when this next deal starts. The team who signs Miller is getting 2 less years of "prime". Follow it up with will Miller sign for 7m?
        When he gets to 36, Landy might be on a bad deal. It isn't lost on Avs fans. Currently he's underpaid so w.e.

The team who trades for him is getting him at the age of 29. Is that math so hard to get?
        Knuckl3s liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 8:03 p.m.
        2+2 is 4 -1 that's 3, quick maths. One JT Miller was born Mar 14th 1993. He will be 30 years of age when the 2022-23 nhl season starts.I said the team that SIGNS him.
        Good day
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 8:20 p.m.
        I would make all of these trades if I were Vancouver, with the exception being the WASH trade.

The 1st is going to be late, Iorio is probably a B prospect no guarantee he ever plays an NHL game, Eller's will be 34 by the end of the year and would essentially be a throw in. I bet if WASH tried to move Eller's right now it would cost them to do so.

I think either the prospect or NHL player needs to be upgraded, even if they remove the other piece.
        Knuckl3s liked this.
        Aug. 30, 2022 at 8:21 p.m.
        Ex Nucks fan
        2+2 is 4 -1 that's 3, quick maths. One JT Miller was born Mar 14th 1993. He will be 30 years of age when the 2022-23 nhl season starts.I said the team that SIGNS him.
        Good day

Ok but how is that relevant to the trade? Cant you just stay on topic for ONCE
        Knuckl3s liked this.
        Aug. 31, 2022 at 7:49 a.m.
        Might get a first. Won’t get Lysell.
        Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:09 a.m.
        Craig Laughlin Fan
        Quoting: Reason
        I would make all of these trades if I were Vancouver, with the exception being the WASH trade.

The 1st is going to be late, Iorio is probably a B prospect no guarantee he ever plays an NHL game, Eller's will be 34 by the end of the year and would essentially be a throw in. I bet if WASH tried to move Eller's right now it would cost them to do so.

I think either the prospect or NHL player needs to be upgraded, even if they remove the other piece.

I think you are underrating Iorio quite a bit, especially with how he improved this year and that he's only one year off being drafted. He's a strong RD that should get full minutes in Hershey as a 19/20 year old and improved in zone exits, had career highs in points, goals, and assists, has a rocket shot, and his PNHLe has gone up steadily in the last couple years. If Vancouver wants a young RD, which it seems they do, Iorio perfectly fits the bill.
        Warpbox liked this.
        Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:17 a.m.
        Craig Laughlin Fan
        I don't think Washington would go for him since I can't see Miller being anything more than a rental this year, he's coming off a career season that I don't think he can replicate, and Washington is quite high on Iorio (and they refuse to move Eller, even if it would give McMichael more playing time). Washington already brought in Strome for this year so I don't see them going for another center, and with big free agents coming up for Washington, like Orlov, Jensen, Fehervary, Brown, Strome, and Hathaway, as well has having 2 great center prospects in Lapierre and McMichael in the pipeline and Kuznetsov under contract already.

I can't see the Caps re-upping Miller over any of the previous FAs and with Washington getting burned in the past on rentals like Shattenkirk, who also came off a career season, I can't see the Caps dealing for what Vancouver demands when they know they can't bring him back.
        Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:21 a.m.
        Quoting: NoVaSpartan
        I think you are underrating Iorio quite a bit, especially with how he improved this year and that he's only one year off being drafted. He's a strong RD that should get full minutes in Hershey as a 19/20 year old and improved in zone exits, had career highs in points, goals, and assists, has a rocket shot, and his PNHLe has gone up steadily in the last couple years. If Vancouver wants a young RD, which it seems they do, Iorio perfectly fits the bill.

Don’t get me wrong it’s not that I don’t’t think he could a part of a package for Miller or that his style of play couldn’t be a fit in Vancouver. I’m pretty sure I made the first AGM targeting him as a piece in a Miller trade all the way back in late January/early February, with that said he’s a B prospect and so if the 1st is going to be late then the returning player needs to be upgraded. I can’t find a single NHL affiliated prospect ranking that has Iorio in the top 100 rankings, so he by no means a guaranteed NHL player.
        I dont think you trade the 12th highest scorer over the last 3 years on a cheap contract (relatively speaking) for a late 1st, a B prospect and a 33 year old player that currently likely has negative value. Most of the Canuck Miller trades on here are overvaluing Miller worth, but I definitely think there will be better overall packages for Miller.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll