SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Buffalo Sabres signed Tage Thompson (7 Years / $7,142,857 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 31, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
Quoting: DongLord23
Tage was much better offensively though. Had a .15 better PPG & a .23 better G/PG.

PPG

Suzuki

2020/21: .58
2021/22: .73

Tage

2020-2021: .37
2020-2021: .46 (under Granato in 2020-2021)
2021-2022: .87

Both got paid off a breakout year. Tage's breakout year was better than Suzuki's breakout year.

Good comparison. I didn’t really like the Suzuki extension either, but I think age was a factor there.

What you’re calling Suzuki’s breakout year happened when he was 21, so there was an expectation that he would continue to grow his game. (So far I don’t think he has – his 2021-22 numbers were pretty much pro-rated 2021 numbers – but they didn’t know that when they signed him.) Thompson’s breakout year happened when he was 24. That makes a big difference. It’s possible that he’ll continue to improve, but I don’t think there’s anywhere near as much expectation of that as there was with Suzuki.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
No offense man, you sound like someone who hasn't been paying attention to hockey since the cap.

His contract will be the 74th biggest hit starting next year. From now until next season, how many players sign extentions for a bigger cap hit? That will drop his hit even lower than 74th. Last year he finished 54th in scoring. So even if he dips, he will still be producing to the level of his contract.

38 goal scoring center. Yeah, a little over 7 million is nowhere near an overpayment in today's NHL.

Thompson has what 14 career points before this year? He was a fringe nhl player before this year. If he reverts to anywhere near that this contract sucks
Aug. 31, 2022 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
Good comparison. I didn’t really like the Suzuki extension either, but I think age was a factor there.

What you’re calling Suzuki’s breakout year happened when he was 21, so there was an expectation that he would continue to grow his game. (So far I don’t think he has – his 2021-22 numbers were pretty much pro-rated 2021 numbers – but they didn’t know that when they signed him.) Thompson’s breakout year happened when he was 24. That makes a big difference. It’s possible that he’ll continue to improve, but I don’t think there’s anywhere near as much expectation of that as there was with Suzuki.

It's also a point that Tage's contract is buying more UFA years compared to Suzuki buying RFA years.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 4:15 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Thompson has what 14 career points before this year? He was a fringe nhl player before this year. If he reverts to anywhere near that this contract sucks

Tage was playing on the 4th line with Vladimir Sobotka before this year in Krueger's defensive system.

He's a much different player in Granato's high event system playing with actual talent. Only way he's reverting back to that is if we hire Krueger back as HC.
Dahlin_On_Me and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
Ryan Miller Is God
Man I was expecting this comment section to be like every other Buffalo thread and CapFriendly doesn't disappoint.

It's wild that Norris, Suzuki, and Thomas had more expensive contracts signed after one big year, and I can hardly find the same condescending comments on those signings. Tage signs for less money and term, and yet this is getting blasted by people who haven't watched a second of Sabres hockey in the last decade. It's a calculated risk, not the ghost of Chiarelli at the reins.

There are some key differences between those each of those three and Thompson, and yeah that's why Tage has gotten less, but as always context really doesn't matter here.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
Quoting: AudioCats
Man I was expecting this comment section to be like every other Buffalo thread and CapFriendly doesn't disappoint.

It's wild that Norris, Suzuki, and Thomas had more expensive contracts signed after one big year, and I can hardly find the same condescending comments on those signings. Tage signs for less money and term, and yet this is getting blasted by people who haven't watched a second of Sabres hockey in the last decade. It's a calculated risk, not the ghost of Chiarelli at the reins.

There are some key differences between those each of those three and Thompson, and yeah that's why Tage has gotten less, but as always context really doesn't matter here.

If Tage played for Toronto this contract would be called a steal
Aug. 31, 2022 at 4:58 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Did such a comment really bother you that much you’re going to bring up irrelevant information lol?

Did my comment say “wow tage thompson contract is so much worse than Vlasic (no, Vlasic is the worst contract in the league), it’s so much worse than Karlsson (no, Karlsson is immensely overpaid, and declined far more than most experts anticipated), it’s much worse than Burns (Burns is on Carolina, was barely overpaid at 8, and at a current 5m AAV he is definitely a better AAV than Thompson currently unless Thompson can build upon last season), it’s so much worse than Couture (no, Couture isn’t worth 8 compared to other 8’s in the league)?”

Get off your high horse. You look embarrassing lol.

Sure thing sharkie.

Gasp, I literally said oh my gawd outloud. Not a drama queen at all lol
Aug. 31, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Sure thing sharkie.

Your ego is so fragile haha, take care champ
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 5:01 p.m.

So got ya, we will ignore always ignore the previous season, and future potential production when offering player contracts.

That's a grand idea....

....wait no, it's the opposite of that.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Your ego is so fragile haha, take care champ

Oh gasp, oh my lord, how will I carry on with the day.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 8:22 p.m.
torontos finest
Oh gasp, oh my lord, how will I carry on with the day.

you:

simpsons-sideshow-bob.gif
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 3:27 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: ElectroMan

Auston Matthews' contract was voted as being bad by this website.

Take your bs 'Toronto gets all the love' crap elsewhere
Sep. 1, 2022 at 2:31 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Tage was much better offensively though. Had a .15 better PPG & a .23 better G/PG.

PPG

Suzuki

2020/21: .58
2021/22: .73

Tage

2020-2021: .37
2020-2021: .46 (under Granato in 2020-2021)
2021-2022: .87

Both got paid off a breakout year. Tage's breakout year was better than Suzuki's breakout year.

Suzuki 19-20: 0.58
Suzuki 20-21: 0.73
Suzuki 21-22: 0.74

Thompson 17-18: 0.22
Thompson 18-19: 0.19
Thompson 20-21: 0.37
Thompson 21-22: 0.87

Suzuki has a higher floor than Thompson and is much better defensively. I trust the Suzuki contract way more than I do the Thompson contract considering he wasn't great in the past few years prior, had an insane shooting percentage, and broke out at a later age
Sep. 1, 2022 at 2:34 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
You're leaving out a lot of information though. Like how much better Tage is than Suzuki.

This year yes he was better offensively, Suzuki better defensively. Years before, Suzuki was miles better
Sep. 1, 2022 at 4:04 p.m.
Quoting: Devil
Suzuki 19-20: 0.58
Suzuki 20-21: 0.73
Suzuki 21-22: 0.74

Thompson 17-18: 0.22
Thompson 18-19: 0.19
Thompson 20-21: 0.37
Thompson 21-22: 0.87

Suzuki has a higher floor than Thompson and is much better defensively. I trust the Suzuki contract way more than I do the Thompson contract considering he wasn't great in the past few years prior, had an insane shooting percentage, and broke out at a later age

Why are you counting 21-22 year for Suzuki? He got his contract before this season. We only had 2 years of data for him.

A 15 shooting % is insane? Since when?
Sep. 1, 2022 at 7:36 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Auston Matthews' contract was voted as being bad by this website.

Take your bs 'Toronto gets all the love' crap elsewhere

Tavares was voted as a great contract lmao.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 7:20 p.m.
Too much risk here for me... If he regresses Buffalo's rebuild just got extended even longer. If he had another good season how much more would he make?
Sep. 2, 2022 at 8:11 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Tavares was voted as a great contract lmao.

That's because it is. Don't let a s% dip fool you he scored significantly fewer goals than expected recently
Sep. 3, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
Yeah hard to get behind this one, he had a breakout year last year but was pretty unknown before that. Gonna have to keep improving for this to be worth it
Sep. 3, 2022 at 5:27 p.m.
Very risky contract... seems desperate to me. Over 7.14M after only one good season... how much are they actually saving by signing him now instead of letting him prove himself for another season? On the other hand if he regresses you get another Jeff Skinner like contract.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 8:48 a.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
Very risky contract... seems desperate to me. Over 7.14M after only one good season... how much are they actually saving by signing him now instead of letting him prove himself for another season? On the other hand if he regresses you get another Jeff Skinner like contract.

At least Thompson’s cap hit is almost $2M less than Skinner’s.

The difference with the Skinner contract was that they knew exactly what they were getting when they extended him. He ran hold and cold for 8 years in Carolina, so it shouldn’t have surprised anybody that he fell off after his 40-goal season, nor that he rebounded later.

Thompson could turn out to be like that, but it’s also possible that we saw the real Tage Thompson last season, and he will be able to deliver consistently. The problem is, we don’t know.
Leafs_and_Sens_Fan liked this.
Sep. 6, 2022 at 9:38 p.m.

The difference with the Skinner contract was that they knew exactly what they were getting when they extended him. He ran hold and cold for 8 years in Carolina, so it shouldn’t have surprised anybody that he fell off after his 40-goal season, nor that he rebounded later.

Thompson could turn out to be like that, but it’s also possible that we saw the real Tage Thompson last season, and he will be able to deliver consistently. The problem is, we don’t know.

I agree. I just feel this is an extremely risky contract to hand out after one season. Even if he does play the way he did last season this contract isn't really a discount; he'd have to play better than he did last season, especially defensively, for this contract to be a bargain.
Sep. 7, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
Does anyone know of any career progression's that factor in body size?

I've heard many times that bigger players take longer to develop; but not sure how that can be quantified.

My take is that Tage Thompson could be what we expect from a guy like Quinton Byfield, where it takes a season or two extra to "put it all together".
Sep. 11, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
Bruce, There it is
I think this is a big risk. I don't see him as a 1C but he is getting paid like one. His jump was too steep. He was basically a fringe player last year and now they pay him like he is their future 1C after 1 great season
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Edited Sep. 14, 2022 at 7:27 a.m.
It's also a point that Tage's contract is buying more UFA years compared to Suzuki buying RFA years.
Tage was playing on the 4th line with Vladimir Sobotka before this year in Krueger's defensive system.
He's a much different player in Granato's high event system playing with actual talent. Only way he's reverting back to that is if we hire Krueger back as HC.
Quoting: AudioCats
Sure thing sharkie.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
Too much risk here for me... If he regresses Buffalo's rebuild just got extended even longer. If he had another good season how much more would he make?
Quoting: Canesfan21_
Yeah hard to get behind this one, he had a breakout year last year but was pretty unknown before that. Gonna have to keep improving for this to be worth it
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Does anyone know of any career progression's that factor in body size?
I've heard many times that bigger players take longer to develop; but not sure how that can be quantified.
My take is that Tage Thompson could be what we expect from a guy like Quinton Byfield, where it takes a season or two extra to "put it all together".
Quoting: BoudreauFan
I think this is a big risk. I don't see him as a 1C but he is getting paid like one. His jump was too steep. He was basically a fringe player last year and now they pay him like he is their future 1C after 1 great season
Many great comments.

First, in general big players do take longer to develop.
Second, Thompson started demonstrating his talent as early as 2018-'19 when he scored 14 goals in 27 AHL games over two seasons including playoffs.
Third, Krueger was a terrible coach. Miller, Skinner, Okposo, Sheary, Rodrigues, Montour, et al had career worse seasons playing for him.
Fourth, when Granato became head coach at the end of 2020-'21 Tage was put on a line with Mittelstadt and Asplund and responded with 7 goals over the final 20 games.
Fifth, Tuch was a huge factor to driving both Skinner and Tage to higher levels. Pre-Tuch Skinner and Tage were on pace for 25 and 30 goals, post-Tuch that jumped to 40 and 48 respectively.
Six, while his shooting percentage improved last year, in the previous seasons he was aiming at the goalies crest. This past season many of his shots were wide or hit iron, because he was aiming for the corners, LOL he learned how to score.
Finally, since this an extension, think of this as an 8 year contract. $1,400,000 for the first year then $50,000,000 for the next seven $6,425,000 for eight years will appear to be a bargain if he can average 30 goals for the next 5 years.

MY BIG BOLD PREDICTION FOR NEXT YEAR, WE WILL THINK $50,000,000 IS A BARGAIN

EDIT:
After Kyrou signed his $65 million ($8.125 AAV) contract, this is looking like a bargain.
They are the same age, and drafted the same year.
Jordan played with Schenn, Thomas, Tarasenko, Buchnevich and O’Reilly to help him reach his career high 27 goals.
Thompson's contract is looking good from where I am sitting after scoring a career high 38 goals.
GMTD liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit