SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Vancouver Canucks signed J.T. Miller (7 Years / $8,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:44 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: BCAPP
That's a lot less than I expected.

Also kinda shocking to see people say this contract sucks. Seems kinda low to me. Obviously like most Ufa long deals it will age badly at the end. But he's not that old and he's a ppg player. This seems pretty good to fair.

5th most secondary assists in the league and wasn't very impressive analytically. Also it's paying him 8 Million until he's 37 coming off of 1 elite season.
bhavikp27 and Devil liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:46 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Great contract. I thought he was a goner
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:47 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Considering you're a Canucks fan, you're very likely to overate them going into the season, but I don't even see them making the playoffs this year. There's a big difference from being a WC team (best case) then them being a SC Favorite.

The Canucks didn't lose anyone significant this offseason while adding a high potential, top six guy in Kuz and massively improving the PK with Mikheyev. Add in that they will get a full season with Boudreau (who's coaching record was a high enough ppg to make the playoffs had he been there the full season last year). You really think they won't get over the hump and break into the playoffs?
PrisonBull and rollie1967 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:49 p.m.
Banned
5th most secondary assists in the league and wasn't very impressive analytically. Also it's paying him 8 Million until he's 37 coming off of 1 elite season.

Coming off 3 consecutive PPG seasons
PrisonBull liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:49 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Knuckl3s
I don't think I'm overrating them, maybe you're underrating them. Canucks can easily make the playoffs this upcoming season

Quoting: TheAlien
One top pairing RD turns them into a contender. Obviously, that's hard to find but they are closer than people think.

Who would they beat to get into the playoffs?

Colorado
St.Louis
Dallas

Edmonton
Calgary
Vegas

Nashville
Minnesota

Anaheim Ducks
Vancouver Canucks
Los Angeles Kings
Seattle Kraken
Winnipeg Jets
Chicago
Arizona

Perhaps they could sneak in as the last WC, but I don't think with even a miracle they get top 3 in the division.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:50 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Neutral_Zone_Highlights
The Canucks didn't lose anyone significant this offseason while adding a high potential, top six guy in Kuz and massively improving the PK with Mikheyev. Add in that they will get a full season with Boudreau (who's coaching record was a high enough ppg to make the playoffs had he been there the full season last year). You really think they won't get over the hump and break into the playoffs?

The only way the Canucks miss the playoffs is if Pettersson or Demko is hurt for a significant amount of time, so that's a pretty big if
PrisonBull liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
Banned

Colorado
St.Louis
Dallas

Edmonton
Calgary
Vegas

Nashville
Minnesota

Anaheim Ducks
Vancouver Canucks
Los Angeles Kings
Seattle Kraken
Winnipeg Jets
Chicago
Arizona

Perhaps they could sneak in as the last WC, but I don't think with even a miracle they get top 3 in the division.

They'll beat Vegas, Winnipeg, and Dallas obviously. Maybe Nashville and Los Angeles. That's not too bad
PrisonBull liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:52 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Neutral_Zone_Highlights

Kuz won't be a top 6 player. He'll be lucky to crack the 3rd line. I don't see him as anything special, but you never know I guess. He can be a wildcard. You do bring a good point with Mikheyev, that will be an improvement, but I still don't think it gets them over the hump as a pretender. They MIGHT be able to sneak into the playoffs, but a lot of injuries would have to happen for Multiple teams and Demko would somehow have to play even better than he did last year.
oilersguy liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:52 p.m.
Go Jets Go
Didn’t think they’d be able to keep him, good for the Canucks! Guy deserves to get paid and this is a decent deal for both sides in my opinion.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:53 p.m.
Voted yes simply because he's off the market and we don't have to see the ridiculous trade offers from Vancouver fans any longer.
WentWughes
Coming off 3 consecutive PPG seasons

It also doesn't start until he's 30 and it lasts until he's 37. Also, 20-21 year he wasn't a PPG player.
WentWughes
They'll beat Vegas, Winnipeg, and Dallas obviously. Maybe Nashville and Los Angeles. That's not too bad

Think they're right in the conversation with Winnipeg + Dallas + Nashville + Los Angeles, however I don't see them beating all of those teams, don't see them coming close to Vegas. I was almost temped to put them as the #1 slot.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:54 p.m.
Banned
It also doesn't start until he's 30 and it lasts until he's 37. Also, 20-21 year he wasn't a PPG player.

No, but he was very close. Lots of Canuck players were underperforming offensively in that covid shortened year, it wasn't really a true representation of the team's potential due to the dysfunction of the previous regime
KSIxSKULLS and PrisonBull liked this.
Banned
Think they're right in the conversation with Winnipeg + Dallas, don't see them coming close to Vegas. I was almost temped to put them as the #1 slot.

They're very much better than Vegas, it's not even close
PrisonBull liked this.

Colorado
St.Louis
Dallas

Edmonton
Calgary
Vegas

Nashville
Minnesota

Anaheim Ducks
Vancouver Canucks
Los Angeles Kings
Seattle Kraken
Winnipeg Jets
Chicago
Arizona

You think that Anaheim, who is barely at the cap floor, is going to pass LA, who easily made the playoffs last season and only got better this summer?
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
WentWughes
They're very much better than Vegas, it's not even close

We can agree to Disagree, only question mark for Vegas is their goalie situation, but I think their defense will make up for it.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: tkecanuck341
You think that Anaheim, who is barely at the cap floor, is going to pass LA, who easily made the playoffs last season and only got better this summer?

Those 5 non playoff teams could be in any random order, I think it's very close there.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:57 p.m.
Canes hockey.
Yeah it's a lot of money, but they had to sign him long term and I think they did the right thing. It's a good contract imo, I'm so ****ing happy I won't see the stupid "trade miller" comments everywhere now lmao
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:57 p.m.
WentWughes
Those 5 non playoff teams could be in any random order, I think it's very close there.

Also yes, Their young core will only get better and they added a #2 defender in Klingberg + Ryan Strome and I'm not going to count out McTavish on being ROTY
Sep. 2, 2022 at 6:58 p.m.

I think Arizona, Anaheim, and Chicago are all-in on the Bedard lottery. I think all three of them will be out of playoff contention by Christmas.
PrisonBull liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
Edited Sep. 2, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
Also yes, Their young core will only get better and they added a #2 defender in Klingberg + Ryan Strome and I'm not going to count out McTavish on being ROTY

Their defense is one of the worst defenses I've seen in the last 20 years. Cam Fowler is the only guy on their back end that is even remotely decent at defense. They're going to allow 300+ goals against this season, 350+ if Gibson isn't on his game.

Edit: I forgot about the Kulikov acquisition. He's decent too. Still not good enough.
PrisonBull liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
torontos finest
Canucks are going for it with this roster. Skeptical about that, but this is what I would've expected Miller to make on the open market.

He's been elite for the Canucks since he arrived, but there's always a risk of giving money to guys into their 30s and especially to power forwards.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 7:04 p.m.
How can you vote no to this? big W for VAN

better deal than Huberdeau @ 8 x 9.5 (same age) or Kadri @ 7 x 7 (2 yrs older)
Sep. 2, 2022 at 7:04 p.m.
WentWughes
I think Arizona, Anaheim, and Chicago are all-in on the Bedard lottery. I think all three of them will be out of playoff contention by Christmas.

Guess I'm high on Anaheim then? They added two legit impact players and have a young core that's only going to get better. Don't see why they would collapse like that
Sep. 2, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
WentWughes
Their defense is one of the worst defenses I've seen in the last 20 years. Cam Fowler is the only guy on their back end that is even remotely decent at defense. They're going to allow 300+ goals against this season, 350+ if Gibson isn't on his game.

Genuinely think Drysdale is in for a big surprise this year. Think he cracks the top 4 and belongs there, obviously it might not happen, but I like what I see from him. Also like it was mentioned here, they still have a lot of cap space, who knows what they do with it (in terms of upgrading their defense)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit