Forums/Armchair-GM

Could they become more competitive this year

Created by: BestGMBenning
Team: 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 8, 2022
Published: Sep. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No big additions but perhaps potential begins to start getting filled. I’m sorry I worded that so poorly. I think my head is just all over the place with these expectations and overall looking at these teams lol.

The forward core looks good here and there but they really would need some young players like Mittelstadt, Krebs and Cozens to really take the next step which can happen for some of them. But if it is improvements but not by much then I wouldn’t have Buffalo ranked higher. They got some great potential though and it can pay off for the team to be better

The defence just really depends on how well the younger guy play. I think they can be a more better defence core this season for sure. They just need more time in the NHL to really developing though. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t perform super good or super bad. They are still pretty young.

The goaltending is where I’m wildly thrown off. Anderson is old and really not what he used to be. Comrie is a good back up goalie but he’s not really starting material as well. The only way I see it working is a 3 goalie system throughout the year I guess if they want Luukkonen taking on a NHL role this season as well. If that’s how they want it to work then maybe.

Overall they are still a rebuilding team with a lot of very likeable young players that could take another step. They’ve been doing a good job of rebuilding so far and just need stay in that direction and building up the younger players. They could probably catch alot of people off though and win a bit more. I could see them as between a 5th and 7th in the Atlantic.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$82,500,000$57,704,167$0$3,537,500$24,795,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$687,500$687,500
RD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
G
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,916,667$4,916,667
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 8, 2022 at 9:27 a.m.
Great job.
Casey will have a break out season and putting him between Krebs and Okposo just may be the ticket.
Put Asplund on the fourth line and you may have Granato's line up.
GMTD liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
They were competitive last year. They had a winning record the last 41 games of the season. If Anderson and Tokarski both don’t get hurt at the same time they most likely end up with a winning record.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
Comrie last year - 19GP, .920 SV% playing behind a perennial Vezina candidate on a team with a middling defense corps.

I see no reason why Comrie couldn't, if Sabres' d-men can find their way to league average, put up .910-.915 while handling 1A duties. If Luukkonen shows well in camp or in early starts with Rochester, he could easily play 20-25 games as 1B during the second half of the season.

Or they could have the same snakebit goalie platoon that they've had the last two years. It's really a coin flip.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 9:36 p.m.
Quoting: Diaspora
Comrie last year - 19GP, .920 SV% playing behind a perennial Vezina candidate on a team with a middling defense corps.

I see no reason why Comrie couldn't, if Sabres' d-men can find their way to league average, put up .910-.915 while handling 1A duties. If Luukkonen shows well in camp or in early starts with Rochester, he could easily play 20-25 games as 1B during the second half of the season.

Or they could have the same snakebit goalie platoon that they've had the last two years. It's really a coin flip.

Comrie was good but that’s 19 games. You’d need him for plenty more starts then that. Anderson really isn’t what he used to be no matter what. And if that’s the plan, then I’m not sure if goaltending is their strongest suit
Sep. 9, 2022 at 2:55 a.m.
Edited Sep. 9, 2022 at 3:08 a.m.
Quoting: Sabres923
They were competitive last year. They had a winning record the last 41 games of the season. If Anderson and Tokarski both don’t get hurt at the same time they most likely end up with a winning record. I agree.
Quoting: Diaspora
Or they could have the same snakebit goalie platoon that they've had the last two years. It's really a coin flip. I agree. Let's hope they win the coin toss this year.
Quoting: BestGMBenning
Comrie was good but that’s 19 games. You’d need him for plenty more starts then that. Anderson really isn’t what he used to be no matter what. And if that’s the plan, then I’m not sure if goaltending is their strongest suit I agree. It does not have to be strong, just healthier than last year.
The GK does not need to be great, just healthier than last year.
Last year Tokarski, Dell and Subban played 2446 minutes or about 41 games, 10 more than Anderson, and posted a 3.58 GAA, while Anderson and Luukkonen posted a 3.03 GAA.
If Comrie/Anderson/Luukkonen could post a 3.00 GAA collectively (a little better than the league average), the Sabres would give up 246 goals, or 44 fewer goals than last year.
With a healthy Mittelstadt (plus 10) and Olofsson (plus 5) plus a full year of Cozens (plus 10) and Quinn (plus 20), they could score an additional 40 goals over last year or 272 goals.
Remember with a healthy line up they collected 35 pts over the final 28 games, or 103 over 82.
With a 26 positive goal differential, they will be competitive until the last couple of weeks of the season, if not beyond.
GMTD liked this.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 4:13 a.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
The GK does not need to be great, just healthier than last year.
Last year Tokarski, Dell and Subban played 2446 minutes or about 41 games, 10 more than Anderson, and posted a 3.58 GAA, while Anderson and Luukkonen posted a 3.03 GAA.
If Comrie/Anderson/Luukkonen could post a 3.00 GAA collectively (a little better than the league average), the Sabres would give up 246 goals, or 44 fewer goals than last year.
With a healthy Mittelstadt (plus 10) and Olofsson (plus 5) plus a full year of Cozens (plus 10) and Quinn (plus 20), they could score an additional 40 goals over last year or 272 goals.
Remember with a healthy line up they collected 35 pts over the final 28 games, or 103 over 82.
With a 26 positive goal differential, they will be competitive until the last couple of weeks of the season, if not beyond.

The thing about them though is that the goaltending will need the team to perform well in order to really have a winning record and for the goals to be actually coming around. You say a GAA of 246? That’s still a bit much goals to give up in order to be a competitive team and that’s a little too much faith in a Sabres team that hasn’t really proven themselves as competitive. They are a team to keep tabs on though. They just don’t have a high end calibre talent developed just yet. You’d really REALLY need a at least two of Cozens or Mittelstadt or Krebs to really breakout. Other than that they aren’t going no where. As much as those guys are bound to breakout in the coming years I just don’t think all of them do that together. They can get better but it probably won’t be insanely high production. There’s still juggernaut teams in the east that they’d have to play and beat as well. And I don’t think this Buffalo team has what it takes just yet. They are mediocre at best. Unless if the past 5 years haven’t changed and Buffalo crumbles again. You mention the goalie injuries. Injured or not they do not change much.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Edited Sep. 20, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
@Sabres923
@Diaspora
The thing about them though is that the goaltending will need the team to perform well in order to really have a winning record and for the goals to be actually coming around. You say a GAA of 246? That’s still a bit much goals to give up in order to be a competitive team and that’s a little too much faith in a Sabres team that hasn’t really proven themselves as competitive. They are a team to keep tabs on though. They just don’t have a high end calibre talent developed just yet. You’d really REALLY need a at least two of Cozens or Mittelstadt or Krebs to really breakout both will have much better seasons. Casey may reach 60 pts if he is allowed to center Olofsson and Quinn and Dylan 50 pts. even if he is put between Girgensons and Okposo.. Other than that they aren’t going no where. As much as those guys are bound to breakout in the coming years I just don’t think all of them do that together. They can get better but it probably won’t be insanely high production. There’s still juggernaut teams in the east that they’d have to play and beat as well. And I don’t think this Buffalo team has what it takes just yet. They are mediocre at best. Unless if the past 5 years haven’t changed and Buffalo crumbles again. You mention the goalie injuries. Injured or not they do not change much.
One cannot forget the Granato effect.
Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators, Edmonton Oilers, Minnesota Wild, and Toronto Maple Leafs all gave up 246 or more goals and made it to the playoffs.
Among those teams Dallas and Nashville scored fewer than the 272 goals that the Sabres are capable of scoring.
Let me add, while the Sabres finished the 2021-’22 season with a 16-9-3 record, only five games were against teams with losing records Chicago, New Jersey and Philadelphia winning all five games.
Nineteen games were against playoff teams Florida, Florida, Florida, Carolina, Carolina, Toronto, Toronto, Toronto, Los Angeles, Calgary, Rangers, Tampa Bay, St. Louis Boston, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Washington, Nashville, and Minnesota compiling an 8-9-2 against those playoff teams.
If we include Las Vegas who were fighting for a playoff spot, the Sabres were 9-9-2 during the 28 game stretch against top teams.
Adding Comrie, Lyubushkin, Power and Quinn while dropping only Miller, Pysyk, Hagg, Butcher, Dell and Houser should make the team perform better.
I am certainly one of the most optimistic Sabre fan, but last end of season performance against quality teams indicated they are up to the task and will surprise many pundits.
Finally, below is the record of the 3rd GK for each playoff team. ONLY Toronto, Dallas and Vegas back up GK’s had more than 10 decisions.
Panthers 0-2-0
Colorado 4-2-2
Carolina 4-1-1
Toronto 11-6-1
Minnesota 0-0-0
Calgary 0-0-0
Rangers 1-1-0
Tampa 1-1-0
St. Louis 6-1-1
Boston 2-0-0
Edmonton 0-0-0
Pittsburgh 1-1-0
Washington 1-2-1
Los Angeles 1-0-0
Dallas 6-5-4
Nashville 1-2-0
Vegas 10-9-3
Buffalo 5-15-4
Buffalo’s third GK’s had 24. If the GK’s can stay healthy, who knows how the season could have played out.
GMTD liked this.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
Sabres923
Diaspora
One cannot forget the Granato effect.
Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators, Edmonton Oilers, Minnesota Wild, and Toronto Maple Leafs all gave up 246 or more goals and made it to the playoffs.
Among those teams Dallas and Nashville scored fewer than the 272 goals that the Sabres are capable of scoring.
Let me add, while the Sabres finished the 2021-’22 season with a 16-9-3 record, only five games were against teams with losing records Chicago, New Jersey and Philadelphia winning all five games.
Nineteen games were against playoff teams Florida, Florida, Florida, Carolina, Carolina, Toronto, Toronto, Toronto, Los Angeles, Calgary, Rangers, Tampa Bay, St. Louis Boston, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Washington, Nashville, and Minnesota compiling an 11-9-3 against those playoff teams.
If we include Las Vegas who were fighting for a playoff spot, the Sabres were 12-9-3 during the 28 game stretch against top teams.
Adding Comrie, Lyubushkin, Power and Quinn while dropping only Miller, Pysyk, Hagg, Butcher, Dell and Houser should make the team perform better.
I am certainly one of the most optimistic Sabre fan, but last end of season performance against quality teams indicated they are up to the task and will surprise many pundits.
Finally, below is the record of the 3rd GK for each playoff team. ONLY Toronto, Dallas and Vegas back up GK’s had more than 10 decisions.
Panthers 0-2-0
Colorado 4-2-2
Carolina 4-1-1
Toronto 11-6-1
Minnesota 0-0-0
Calgary 0-0-0
Rangers 1-1-0
Tampa 1-1-0
St. Louis 6-1-1
Boston 2-0-0
Edmonton 0-0-0
Pittsburgh 1-1-0
Washington 1-2-1
Los Angeles 1-0-0
Dallas 6-5-4
Nashville 1-2-0
Vegas 10-9-3
Buffalo 5-15-4
Buffalo’s third GK’s had 24. If the GK’s can stay healthy, who knows how the season could have played out.

You’re forgetting the fact that all those teams you just mentioned have elite producing players. You are far too confident in an old goalie and a back up that hasn’t even played 20+ games in the league for a season. And a young goaltender that has barely had much time in the league.

As decent as the defence is, you’d still need some of that from the forwards as well. This team is still young and still have holes in the lineup. There’s gotta be some losing teams in the east and considering teams still in playoff spots from last season that made some big additions. Players from Buffalo putting up between 50-60 points won’t make them better than teams ranked in higher spots. And that’s teams in higher spots for a reason. They are up against teams like Ottawa, Detroit, New Jersey, and Columbus that have all made some really big additions and really making me consider them playoff teams. And the only team that I’d see struggling is Washington. The eastern conference is pretty freakin crazy right now. There’s still bigger teams like Tampa Bay, Toronto, Florida, Carolina, New York Rangers,, Boston and Pittsburgh that all made changes to become better. I like your confidence in the Sabres I really do. But those are teams that have made changes and are far more proven. And if the Islanders were to rebound and start playing like they did in 2020 and 2021 well then there’s another team that would become a problem in the east. A team looking to redeem themselves for last seasons downfall and a team that was an ECF team in 2021 which was recent.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 5:06 p.m.
Edited Sep. 9, 2022 at 5:19 p.m.
@Sabres923
@Diaspora
You’re forgetting the fact that all those teams you just mentioned have elite producing players. You are far too confident in an old goalie and a back up that hasn’t even played 20+ games in the league for a season. And a young goaltender that has barely had much time in the league.

As decent as the defence is, you’d still need some of that from the forwards as well. This team is still young and still have holes in the lineup. There’s gotta be some losing teams in the east and considering teams still in playoff spots from last season that made some big additions. Players from Buffalo putting up between 50-60 points won’t make them better than teams ranked in higher spots. And that’s teams in higher spots for a reason. They are up against teams like Ottawa, Detroit, New Jersey, and Columbus that have all made some really big additions and really making me consider them playoff teams. And the only team that I’d see struggling is Washington. The eastern conference is pretty freakin crazy right now. There’s still bigger teams like Tampa Bay, Toronto, Florida, Carolina, New York Rangers,, Boston and Pittsburgh that all made changes to become better. I like your confidence in the Sabres I really do. But those are teams that have made changes and are far more proven. And if the Islanders were to rebound and start playing like they did in 2020 and 2021 well then there’s another team that would become a problem in the east. A team looking to redeem themselves for last seasons downfall and a team that was an ECF team in 2021 which was recent.
Forgive my criticism, but you are repeating yourself and not addressing the new information that I presented.
Let's start, Dahlin, Power, Thompson, Skinner, Olofsson and Tuch are elite.
Mittelstadt, Cozens, Krebs, Quinn will greatly improve and add significant talent to the line up.
Comrie and Lyubushkin are totally new assets and are significantly better than their replacements Tokarski and Miller.
No team had the GK problems that Buffalo experienced that needed three back ups during one season.
You are overlooking how good the team was to close out the season, 12-9-3 v playoff contenders alone would result in 92 pts over an 82 game season.
Let's be clear, over the last 28 games no playoff contender was presuming Buffalo would roll over for them, Buffalo earned those victories.
So this line up that you say lacks star performers did quit well against teams that you think were loaded with talent.
Granato knows how to utilize his roster talents, I would expect him to do the same this year.
Let me add, remove the 5-15-4 of the back up GK from the teams over all record of 32-39-11 leaves 27-24-7 61 pts in 58 games or 87 pts over 82.
Adding Quinn, Comrie, Lyubushkin, Power to the team it should not be difficult to imagine a 13 pt improvement over that 87.
Considering how many games their 3rd, 4th and 5th GK played, presuming they could have had 87 pts last season is not unreasonable.
As for other teams jumping over them Detroit's 3rd and 4th GK records were 2-1-0, Islanders 1-0-0, they did not suffer with GK injuries their poor record was just the team playing poorly.
My optimism is based on past performance and not false promises.
Finally, I said "they will be competitive until the last couple of weeks of the season..." This comment was based on their GK remaining healthy and I did not predict a playoff team.
We can revisit this discussion in June of next year.
GMTD liked this.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 10:06 p.m.
Sabres923
Diaspora
Forgive my criticism, but you are repeating yourself and not addressing the new information that I presented.
Let's start, Dahlin, Power, Thompson, Skinner, Olofsson and Tuch are elite.
Mittelstadt, Cozens, Krebs, Quinn will greatly improve and add significant talent to the line up.
Comrie and Lyubushkin are totally new assets and are significantly better than their replacements Tokarski and Miller.
No team had the GK problems that Buffalo experienced that needed three back ups during one season.
You are overlooking how good the team was to close out the season, 12-9-3 v playoff contenders alone would result in 92 pts over an 82 game season.
Let's be clear, over the last 28 games no playoff contender was presuming Buffalo would roll over for them, Buffalo earned those victories.
So this line up that you say lacks star performers did quit well against teams that you think were loaded with talent.
Granato knows how to utilize his roster talents, I would expect him to do the same this year.
Let me add, remove the 5-15-4 of the back up GK from the teams over all record of 32-39-11 leaves 27-24-7 61 pts in 58 games or 87 pts over 82.
Adding Quinn, Comrie, Lyubushkin, Power to the team it should not be difficult to imagine a 13 pt improvement over that 87.
Considering how many games their 3rd, 4th and 5th GK played, presuming they could have had 87 pts last season is not unreasonable.
As for other teams jumping over them Detroit's 3rd and 4th GK records were 2-1-0, Islanders 1-0-0, they did not suffer with GK injuries their poor record was just the team playing poorly.
My optimism is based on past performance and not false promises.
Finally, I said "they will be competitive until the last couple of weeks of the season..." This comment was based on their GK remaining healthy and I did not predict a playoff team.
We can revisit this discussion in June of next year.

That is 6 young players you are counting on for Buffalo’s success and consistencies that they may not really have. It’s apart of having a young team. You’re counting on a successful what last two months of the season? Looking at the scores they were still inconsistent in a lot of areas of their game. Barely beating teams, getting blown out by them, and beating teams going through rough patches and beating teams worse than them. And you’re also expecting 246 GA and 272 GF? That’s quite a lot of work for the whole team.
Sep. 10, 2022 at 11:18 a.m.
Im just horrified that you have Asplund scratched
Sep. 10, 2022 at 7:55 p.m.
Quoting: Sabres_Insider
Im just horrified that you have Asplund scratched

Probably put him over Bjork’s spot. Or if Quinn starts out in AHL then Asplund gets a spot.
Sep. 11, 2022 at 7:41 a.m.
Probably put him over Bjork’s spot. Or if Quinn starts out in AHL then Asplund gets a spot.

Asplund is locked into the 3rd line
Sep. 11, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: Sabres_Insider
Asplund is locked into the 3rd line

I think my new proposed line up would be

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch or Olofsson
Krebs-Cozens-Olofsson or Tuch
Asplund-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Bjork-Girgensons-Hinostroza

Maybe a plan would be to find a trade partner for Okposo in the first few months so they can bring up Quinn since Okposo is locked in his last season under contract.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll