Forums/Armchair-GM

Found enough money for Kane or Sandin and XXX

Created by: GiggywithGibby
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 8, 2022
Published: Sep. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Leafs get a 30+ goal 60+ point guy for 1.45 mil AAV who's contract expires under RFA control, and a second round pick, saving a staggering 5.5+ million in cap space to do with as they please at the TDL.

Terry is rumored to be looking for 7 mil AAV on his next deal, while it can be assumed Nylander is going to be asking 10+, and the Leafs don't have RFA control to prevent him from walking for nothing. While he is certainly a downgrade from Nylander, Terry is a young talented scorer you can lock up long term for less money than you have been paying Nylander already, and he is a perfect 2nd line right wing who can also take faceoffs.

Furthermore, Terry is already experienced at playing along side elder statemen in decline, if he can put up 37 goals with Getzlaf as his pivot, what do you think he can accomplish with Tavares?
Trades
TOR
  1. Terry, Troy
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (COL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$76,968,250$212,500$0$5,531,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Edited Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:15 p.m.
Yeah not a chance the Ducks even entertain a 1 for 1

Terry is under team control, Nylander can walk in 2 years

Terry>>>Nylander to the Ducks

Terry is untouchable, hes a major piece of what the Ducks are building
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:06 p.m.
Why would Anaheim ever consider that? Do the Ducks look like a team that is contending for a cup in the next 2 years?
Not_Isles5513, Salzy and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
we miss leo k
I don't get it from Anaheim's side - Terry is younger than Nylander and put up 37-30-67 last year, and has at least one more year at $1.45M. Even if you assume that you bridge him at 3x$7M, you're still going to pay less salary to a younger player than Nylander (34-46-80 last year on a better team) and his $6.9M this year & next, plus whatever his extension looks like.

Also, can't see Anaheim being the side throwing in anything extra here. Terry actually outscored Nylander at ES last year (29-23-52 vs. 21-28-49), and as is said with many Leafs trades, you're doing Toronto a favor here by giving them a guy who can conceivably replicate Nylander's production at a 70% discount. The Leafs add, and I think it has to be a -strong- add here - we're talking a 2nd and a Hirvonen-esque prospect.
Not_Isles5513, Salzy, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:27 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
I don't get it from Anaheim's side - Terry is younger than Nylander and put up 37-30-67 last year, and has at least one more year at $1.45M. Even if you assume that you bridge him at 3x$7M, you're still going to pay less salary to a younger player than Nylander (34-46-80 last year on a better team) and his $6.9M this year & next, plus whatever his extension looks like.

Also, can't see Anaheim being the side throwing in anything extra here. Terry actually outscored Nylander at ES last year (29-23-52 vs. 21-28-49), and as is said with many Leafs trades, you're doing Toronto a favor here by giving them a guy who can conceivably replicate Nylander's production at a 70% discount. The Leafs add, and I think it has to be a -strong- add here - we're talking a 2nd and a Hirvonen-esque prospect.

I disagree, the one major factor is that last season for Terry is a huge outlier for him, he has had over 30+ goals once & before that even hitting 20 seemed unlikely, it’s a massive risk on the Leafs part & that is without considering that tbh if Zegras,McTavish & Drysdale develop well, they will 100% be playoff contenders in 1-2 years time, Their prospect pool is deep as any & you guarantee an at least 60+ point player in Willy who is only 26 & not to make excuses but If you look at the numbers of Nylander on even the 3rd line last season with Kampf & Mikheyev he boosts xGF by nearly 5-10% he is a great playmaker as well as scorer who is proven, Terry has his one outlier season, Imo this is a risk for the Leafs more than Anahiem, I agree that Terry is cheaper & will definitely be cheaper on his next deal but i don’t understand how you look at Terry like a core star after one huge jump in production that he hasn’t even had glimpses of beforehand, Leafs at most add a second but definitely not Hirvonen
python3504 liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
Quoting: T0R
I disagree, the one major factor is that last season for Terry is a huge outlier for him, he has had over 30+ goals once & before that even hitting 20 seemed unlikely, it’s a massive risk on the Leafs part & that is without considering that tbh if Zegras,McTavish & Drysdale develop well, they will 100% be playoff contenders in 1-2 years time, Their prospect pool is deep as any & you guarantee an at least 60+ point player in Willy who is only 26 & not to make excuses but If you look at the numbers of Nylander on even the 3rd line last season with Kampf & Mikheyev he boosts xGF by nearly 5-10% he is a great playmaker as well as scorer who is proven, Terry has his one outlier season, Imo this is a risk for the Leafs more than Anahiem, I agree that Terry is cheaper & will definitely be cheaper on his next deal but i don’t understand how you look at Terry like a core star after one huge jump in production that he hasn’t even had glimpses of beforehand, Leafs at most add a second but definitely not Hirvonen

Terrys analytics have always shown this past season was waiting to happen so your stance of "This came out of nowhere" isnt even true

Terry is more valuable to the Ducks and it isnt really even close

Terrys "Outlier" season was a breakout not an outlier, and if he had that season in TOR he would be hailed as a superstar
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
Quoting: Salzy
Terrys analytics have always shown this past season was waiting to happen so your stance of "This came out of nowhere" isnt even true

Terrys "Outlier" season was a breakout not an outlier, and if he had that season in TOR he would be hailed as a superstar

No he’d probably have more 10-25 more points on the Leafs 2nd line with JT, That being said we’ve seen several times that one breakout year can result in a underwhelming next season, It’s happened before & can happen again
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
Take Terry out if you want to talk to Verbeek about a trade, he is worth more to us than Nylander and will probably make less along with being on the team for more than the next 2 years
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: Salzy

well he scored more this season than his 3 previous seasons, it kind of is an outlier in the definition of the word.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: T0R

Look, it's quibbling, but to me an "outlier" season is 31-year-old Nazem Kadri beating his previous career high by 25 points; something like a 24 year old Troy Terry jumping to being a 37 goal scorer after basically 1.5 season's worth of NHL games under his belt is something I'd call more of a "breakout/making the leap/etc" kind of year. Terry didn't have enough of a track record coming into last year to draw much of a conclusion from.

And again, you can't simply ignore the cap circumstances this summer. Oliver Bjorkstrand has settled into a very nice groove as a 25-30 goal scorer, is a year older than Nylander and signed to a deal that's got more term and costs less, and Columbus basically gave him away for nothing. Max Pacioretty is older than Nylander and had bad injury luck last year, sure, but he's also scored at a better pace than Nylander over the last 3 years(75-79-154 in 158 GP vs. 82-99-181 in 200 GP), had the same cap hit with only one year left, and Vegas had to add a young roster player to get him off their cap.

Toronto, as it currently stands, is going to just barely get by icing a 20 man roster (22 guys on NHL contracts, $1.49M over the cap). Saving ~$5.5M by turning an 80 point Willie Nylander into a 67 point(on a much worse team) Troy Terry is something that the Leafs are going to have to pay up for - Anaheim isn't in the business of helping out other teams out of the goodness of their hearts, and with two very recent, very comparable examples to point at, they're going to have all the ability to push for a strong return if you want Terry.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
Hi, OP here, here are my thoughts/reasoning.

Terry's production last season was a bit of an outlier. Not a significant outlier, but I don't think 37 goals is a bit higher than is repeatedly achievable. I am thinking he is a consistent floats around the 55 to 65 point mark season in and out, and between 25-30 goals. This is great production for 2RW, but a bit lacking for 1RW. I see Strome being 2RW with McTavish at 2C, so Terry needs to step up to 1RW, or we need to go get one, because I don't think we play Strome down on 3. I'm not as convinced Terry can be a consistent 80 point guy, so that's the basis behind this trade.

Nylander has the skills, size, and well rounded game to be a true 1RW. We would need some assurances from Nylander for the deal to work, and that is that he is interested in being the star RW in Anaheim long term. We have the money to pay him, and we have the slot for him to be the star instead of playing second fiddle to Marner. He CAN walk and he WILL walk is an important distinction here, we only make the deal if he WANTS to be in ANA. Assuming he is a fit with Zegras, I would be comfortable paying him 9-10 mil AAV on an 8 year deal to be our star RW. He is sufficiently young to grow with the core we have, we just have to make sure he wants to do that. Big IF, but we are in the land of fantasy.

The COL 2nd is nearly a third with how far down they likely go into the playoffs, maybe its a conditional pick contingent on a resigning. Maybe there are conditional picks on both sides tied to resigning.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
Jah1722
Ducks counter with Henrique and a 2nd for Matthews. It’s basically the same concept as this, 2/3 of the production and a 2nd plus ~5M in cap space for TOR. Seems like a great deal for them…
LosPatos and Salzy liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
Edited Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
This trade is risky for either team, the difference between Terry and Nylander is only 1-year in age, so it won't be surprising if Terry on the Leafs does worse than Nylander on Anaheim. The savings+extra pick could be tempting for the Leafs, but if Terry does well in Toronto, he could very much cost more than 7m to resign. If he doesn't do well then they probably downgraded their offense in the long-term. Anaheim has no reason to take on the risk of losing Nylander even if he is the better player now and in the future-it won't matter if he walks away. The trade would be much worse, if Terry turns out to be just as good or better, and locked on a cheaper contract vs Nylander's next one.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.
LosPatos
Sorry but I’m taking Terry over Nylander any day
Shibbal18 and Salzy liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: GMBL
This trade is risky for either team, the difference between Terry and Nylander is only 1-year in age, so it won't be surprising if Terry on the Leafs does worse than Nylander on Anaheim. The savings+extra pick could be tempting for the Leafs, but if Terry does well in Toronto, he could very much cost more than 7m to resign. If he doesn't do well then they probably downgraded their offense in the long-term. Anaheim has no reason to take on the risk of losing Nylander even if he is the better player now and in the future-it won't matter if he walks away. The trade would be much worse, if Terry turns out to be just as good or better, and locked on a cheaper contract vs Nylander's next one.

Yes, there are risks to both.

ANA doesn't make the trade unless Nylander wants to be the star RW in ANA long term, that's a talk they can have during negotiations. We have the money and spot to make him a long term 1RW star.

Yes, the deal could look bad on ANA if Terry does even better in Toronto, I have my doubts given his nearly 20% shooting percentage last year that he is truly top line material, but I think he is the perfect 2RW. We would also never know if it was Terry doing it himself, or if its being part of Toronto's high flying offense that makes him even better.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Yes, there are risks to both.

ANA doesn't make the trade unless Nylander wants to be the star RW in ANA long term, that's a talk they can have during negotiations. We have the money and spot to make him a long term 1RW star.

Yes, the deal could look bad on ANA if Terry does even better in Toronto, I have my doubts given his nearly 20% shooting percentage last year that he is truly top line material, but I think he is the perfect 2RW. We would also never know if it was Terry doing it himself, or if its being part of Toronto's high flying offense that makes him even better.

This is the type of trade that could go down next year if both guys are willing to extend with their new team long-term and there's some sort of issue with their current team.
GiggywithGibby liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 4:05 p.m.
Shibbal18
Didnt he just have 30+G 60+pt season. Why would Anaheim entertain this
Salzy liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: Shibbal18
Didnt he just have 30+G 60+pt season. Why would Anaheim entertain this

Its a question of whether Terry can become a true top line player of if he is more consistent but strong 2nd line player. his 37 goals came from a 19.3 S% Regress that down to the 14-15% range and he is a 28-30 goal scorer. I think that's great production for a 2nd line scorer, but I am less convinced of him attaining 1st line status.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll