SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

St. Louis Blues signed Jordan Kyrou (8 Years / $8,125,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 13, 2022 at 1:39 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: Random2152
If you haven't figured out how big the cap jump is going to be this should really have you clueing in by now with another one of these 8 year mega bet deals.

If your team has signed a high profile bridge deal this year, (or is likely going to DALLAS) you're in for a bad time.

Good point with all of these contracts.

When are they expecting the cap to jump? I thought I read the expectation was 1-2 more seasons of “flat” cap, then it’ll start catching up.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
Grierless Sharks Fan
Quoting: BluesFan81
I voted yes cause Kyrou is emerging into a dynamic star winger but he still needs to put it all together for this to really be a good deal.

I'm a Sharks fan, so I don't watch as many Blues games as you do, but every time I see this kid he's always making plays.

Just curious what his defects are, if any?
Sep. 13, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
Barbashev's deal could price out O'Reilly as they are using up a lot of next year's cap space unless it really is a near 8 figure increase in 2023-24.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 1:46 p.m.
Quoting: goodfella
I'm a Sharks fan, so I don't watch as many Blues games as you do, but every time I see this kid he's always making plays.

Just curious what his defects are, if any?

Finishing plays, play away from the puck, easy to move off the puck, weakness at stickhandling with his speed at times.

Basically: he is "raw". Could be amazing or could be one of those frustrating talents that never puts it all together
Sep. 13, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: budgeteam
There is no longer a distinction between what star RFAs coming off their ELC and star UFAs (or RFAs selling off significant UFA years) get on long term deals. Teams get their RFA discounts on 2nd line players and bottom 6 players because those players have less leverage.

People will point to JT Miller signing for 8 million over 7 years as a criticism of the Stutzle or Kyrou deal. As in, why does a mystery box in Stutzle get more than a known near 100 point player in Miller. Well, Miller's contract starts the year he turns 31, and takes him well into his late 30s. There is an understanding that he won't be a 100 point player for the entire contract. Stutzle and Kyrou signed contracts that stretch through their prime years.

I think part of what we are seeing is that teams are motivated to lock up these players because there is an expectation that the cap is going to explode once escrow is repaid. 3-4 years from now, the norm could very well be 10 million for these kind of players, not 8.

Yup. In a few years, this will be like having two "McKinnon contracts" - and it will be that way for a half decade. Some folks are talking about oh he only had one great season. Uhh yeah, it was his first full NHL season. How many should he have had?
mart liked this.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 1:48 p.m.
Grierless Sharks Fan
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Finishing plays, play away from the puck, easy to move off the puck, weakness at stickhandling with his speed at times.

Basically: he is "raw". Could be amazing or could be one of those frustrating talents that never puts it all together

Guess I'm just seeing the good stuff. Probably when he plays the Sharks which aren't that hard to play against right now.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Try not paying a fringe 1st liner around 8mil challenge is clearly impossible

Ahem *cough* Nick Suzuki *cough*
mart, jpsnow13, SydBarrett and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Ritzy
STL seem to be the kings of matching contracts.

Kyrou/Thomas
Schenn/Faulk/Krug/Parayko
ROR/Tarasenko

Armstrong only has 3-4 contracts in his desk drawer. “Well Jordan you can choose the 8x$8.1M, the 7x $6.5M, or the 7x $7.5M. Your choice.” “ hmm…I’ll go 8x$8.1M”. “Excellent choice!!”
Ritzy, mokumboi, mart and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:22 p.m.
yotes own canada
shouldve gotten 6-7 mil but should be a good scorer regardless. he was on the third and second line for a lot of the year
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:22 p.m.
yotes own canada
Barbashev's deal could price out O'Reilly as they are using up a lot of next year's cap space unless it really is a near 8 figure increase in 2023-24.

doubt were resigning barby
mokumboi liked this.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:25 p.m.

He’s in the 97th percentile for goals per 60 min and 98th in primary assists per 60. I don’t think finishing plays is a weakness
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Yup. In a few years, this will be like having two "McKinnon contracts" - and it will be that way for a half decade. Some folks are talking about oh he only had one great season. Uhh yeah, it was his first full NHL season. How many should he have had?

Wish you were there saying this in the comments defending the Jimmy Stu extension
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
sen krak fan
Seems like an okay deal, maybe slight overpayment in the later years and stuff.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:32 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: TheBoyDuddus
Wish you were there saying this in the comments defending the Jimmy Stu extension

Actually, I think I did. Though maybe it was in the general NHL thread. But yeah, same deal. Everyone will be hailing it as genius cap massaging in a couple years.
TheBoyDuddus liked this.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
mokumboi

Haha what??? Not being perfect 100% on his stick handling does not make it a weakness. Geez. And if PPG with medium ice time in a first full season isn't putting it together, the whole league should be terrified of him. Because you're right, he's not at his ceiling yet.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:14 p.m.
Yegor bomb
Quoting: dopplsan

When are they expecting the cap to jump? I thought I read the expectation was 1-2 more seasons of “flat” cap, then it’ll start catching up.

2024-2025 season is when I believe cap explodes higher
dopplsan liked this.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
Quoting: dickie_boon
doubt were resigning barby

Too expensive or just not a good fit?
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
mokumboi
Too expensive or just not a good fit?

Cap space.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:35 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: dopplsan

2-3 more seasons.

The NHLPA has wanted to stop using their salary escalator for a long time, but it is always controversial because it helps players currently signed by lowering the possibility of escrow at the expense of hurting the upcoming UFAs by lowering the pool of available dollars. It's possible that they might see the huge jump in the cap over one season as an opportunity to cut bait on using the salary escalator. Which means the rise might not be quite as high as expected, but it should still be big.

Let's it this way, the 2020-21 season was supposed to have a cap ceiling between 84.5-88.5 million. That's before the US TV deal. The US TV deal is what will drive the cap up dramatically.
dopplsan liked this.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Actually, I think I did. Though maybe it was in the general NHL thread. But yeah, same deal. Everyone will be hailing it as genius cap massaging in a couple years.

The Stuetzle/Norris singings really are quite similar to Thomas/Kyrou but I will say that the same way Timmy's worth more than Norris, I think Thomas should've gotten a little more than Kyrou! But you're right, I'm sure both deals will look great a couple years down the line.

Cheers
mokumboi liked this.
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:39 p.m.
Hockey/Caps fan
On the fence but voted yes because no signing bonuses...
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Ritzy
STL seem to be the kings of matching contracts.

Kyrou/Thomas
Schenn/Faulk/Krug/Parayko
ROR/Tarasenko

Krug and Faulk both got 7 years at 6.5M AAV per, while Parayko and Schenn got 8 years at 6.5M AAV per, so two and two

Also, O'Reilly got 7 years of term, while Taresenko got 8 years, same AAV of course. I'd say 1 more or 1 less year of term is rather significant in these contexts
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: RawDeal
On the fence but voted yes because no signing bonuses...

Armstrong never gives out signing bonuses it seems, neither does Dorion, even after Melnyk has gone
Sep. 13, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: budgeteam
There is no longer a distinction between what star RFAs coming off their ELC and star UFAs (or RFAs selling off significant UFA years) get on long term deals. Teams get their RFA discounts on 2nd line players and bottom 6 players because those players have less leverage.

People will point to JT Miller signing for 8 million over 7 years as a criticism of the Stutzle or Kyrou deal. As in, why does a mystery box in Stutzle get more than a known near 100 point player in Miller. Well, Miller's contract starts the year he turns 31, and takes him well into his late 30s. There is an understanding that he won't be a 100 point player for the entire contract. Stutzle and Kyrou signed contracts that stretch through their prime years.

I think part of what we are seeing is that teams are motivated to lock up these players because there is an expectation that the cap is going to explode once escrow is repaid. 3-4 years from now, the norm could very well be 10 million for these kind of players, not 8.

JT Miller's new deal kicks in when he's 30 as oppose to age 31, very important distinction
Sep. 13, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.
Juraj Slapshotsky
Quoting: yikes
Cant wait to see the praise for this deal compared to the criticisms of Stutzle's.

Suzuki*

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit