SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vancouver Canucks

If JT and EP are centers does VAN resign Horvat

Sep. 14, 2022 at 10:42 p.m.
If Boudreau considers all of Miller Pettersson and Horvat to be centers, do the Canucks resign Horvat at the end of the year now that Miller is locked p for the next 7?
The reason I am curious about peoples thoughts on this is that Horvat likely gets around 7M a year on his next contract, and I can't ever recall seeing a "3C" make 7M.

If EP signs for 9 on his next deal and Horvat 7, I think that makes Vancouver's top 3 centers the highest paid in the NHL minus TO, and if Draisaitl plays mostly center (not sure if he does) then EDM, but Horvat would be by far the highest paid "3C".
Sep. 14, 2022 at 10:48 p.m.
I hate this team
Horvat is good enough to be 1C but the only reason he is 3C just cause we have Pettersson and miller. I doubt he is even gonna play 3C minutes, I think the first three lines are rolling evenly.
palhal, Reason and majormoose007 liked this.
Sep. 14, 2022 at 10:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You can't have too many good centres, and Miller can play LW,
There is still the possibility that Miller is traded. Now he has a signed contract signed, he could be traded and I think he would be willing to waive his NMC to certain teams.
Reason and majormoose007 liked this.
Sep. 14, 2022 at 10:51 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: vapodz
Horvat is good enough to be 1C but the only reason he is 3C just cause we have Pettersson and miller. I doubt he is even gonna play 3C minutes, I think the first three lines are rolling evenly.

You're right and the three top centres would see plenty of PP time with at least two on the ice at the same time. Kadri was a so called 3C with the Leafs scoring 30 goals. 12 on the PP, playing LW
Sep. 14, 2022 at 11:03 p.m.
Quoting: vapodz

Personally I think Horvat is better suited as a good 2C instead of a 1C, that said I would guarantee he wont see 3C minutes. I also think the top 3 lines, especially the centers, will see close minutes, I don't see the 4th line getting much playing time.
Sep. 14, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
You can't have too many good centres, and Miller can play LW,
There is still the possibility that Miller is traded. Now he has a signed contract signed, he could be traded and I think he would be willing to waive his NMC to certain teams.

Yup I agree with you. I just found it interesting that BB stated those are his top 3 centers and that having your 3rd top center being paid 7M would be an NHL first (as far as I can tell). Not saying it would be a bad thing, just interesting.
Sep. 14, 2022 at 11:18 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
I would be surprised if Horvat makes 7 mil. Miller is making 8 and is considerably better than Horvat atm. I would expect his AAV to start with the number 6 especially after Miller took a paycut to stay with the team. I would have to assume Horvat would be a bit pressured to do similar. A 6.75x8 is solid
Sep. 15, 2022 at 12:59 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
I would be surprised if Horvat makes 7 mil. Miller is making 8 and is considerably better than Horvat atm. I would expect his AAV to start with the number 6 especially after Miller took a paycut to stay with the team. I would have to assume Horvat would be a bit pressured to do similar. A 6.75x8 is solid

6.75 is solid but 7 is a surprise? I could see anywhere between 6.25-7.25 depending when he is signed and how well he plays until the contract is signed.
Sep. 15, 2022 at 1:03 a.m.
I think you make some fair points. Plus, what if Horvat doesn't see his spot in the organization going forward with Miller and Pettersson as centers? He's probably not interested in playing 3C minutes IF that is actually the plan.

I don't think Horvat will play 3C minutes this year though. I think all of Vancouver's best players are going to play a lot of minutes overall by getting double shifted or loading up the lines during a game regularly. That means Miller, Pettersson, Horvat Boeser and whoever is playing the best on a given night out of Garland, Podkolzin, Mikheyev, etc. will always play the most minutes by far. Moving Ekman-Larsson with Hughes makes the most sense as one of those two will play semi-regular minutes apart as well, like Colorado did in the Playoffs with Toews and Makar. Bottom line is Horvat will still be the leader in Vancouver and they will pay him as such.
Sep. 15, 2022 at 2:29 a.m.
Quoting: Canucks33
I think you make some fair points. Plus, what if Horvat doesn't see his spot in the organization going forward with Miller and Pettersson as centers? He's probably not interested in playing 3C minutes IF that is actually the plan.

I don't think Horvat will play 3C minutes this year though. I think all of Vancouver's best players are going to play a lot of minutes overall by getting double shifted or loading up the lines during a game regularly. That means Miller, Pettersson, Horvat Boeser and whoever is playing the best on a given night out of Garland, Podkolzin, Mikheyev, etc. will always play the most minutes by far. Moving Ekman-Larsson with Hughes makes the most sense as one of those two will play semi-regular minutes apart as well, like Colorado did in the Playoffs with Toews and Makar. Bottom line is Horvat will still be the leader in Vancouver and they will pay him as such.

Yup that's the way I see it going as well. I just think it's interesting that you don't see team's third best centers making that kind of money (don't know if it's ever happened), be interesting to see how that works out.
Sep. 15, 2022 at 2:36 a.m.
Quoting: Reason
Yup that's the way I see it going as well. I just think it's interesting that you don't see team's third best centers making that kind of money (don't know if it's ever happened), be interesting to see how that works out.

If the Canucks had a viable 3C option, then all three of Miller, Pettersson and Horvat would be in the top-6. Dickinson and Lazar are not options so if we get one then Horvat will move up in the lines on paper.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll