SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2022-2023 Season Thread #1

Oct. 13, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: capsfan2121
Ngl. I hope we keep eller. He is still one of the top 3c in the league I think. His production was the same as it always was last year and he played 10 less games than he always does. If he gets moved to winger when Wilson is back which affects Mikey, that is fine

I regret saying this. Screw eller
Oct. 13, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Also my game day notes will come later today

Spoiler tho. Mantha and Martin Fer where the best players on the ice. Sheary was top 5. Strome making the that list as well
Oct. 13, 2022 at 11:18 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Also my game day notes will come later today

I’m interested in seeing how our notes compare
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
I’m interested in seeing how our notes compare

Did you post yours yet
Oct. 13, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Did you post yours yet

No, not yet. On a school field trip to FedEx Field so it’ll probably have to come after the trip is over
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
No, not yet. On a school field trip to FedEx Field so it’ll probably have to come after the trip is over

Why would anyone want to go to that dump
Oct. 13, 2022 at 11:21 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Why would anyone want to go to that dump

Despite it being a bad stadium, a tour of the stadium including locker rooms is an enticing opportunity
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 11:21 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Despite it being a bad stadium, a tour of the stadium including locker rooms is an enticing opportunity

Oh that’s actually sick. Nvm then
Oct. 13, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Game notes

Anthony Mantha was terrific this game. He was forechecking really well and moving the puck around well too. Strome and him click. I’m so happy on how he played.

Martin Fer was the best blue liner. Kept his man in front of him and his skating is incredible this edges look awesome.

Protas looked like a full time nhl player. That second line was our best line of the night.

The PP2 was the best power play unit and they had set it up different which is why it work well even tho it didn’t score they still generated a ton of chances.

Mojo impressed me. I apologize for doubting him. Looked pretty well. And he did his thing. Entered the zone cleanly.

Dump in chase sucks ass.

Carlson need to get his stuff together. Bad forces to ovi and bad defensive breaks.

TVR is always good.

The fourth line is demonstrating why it’s the best 4th line in hockey. Sheary was flying out there.
All_Knowing and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Game notes

Anthony Mantha was terrific this game. He was forechecking really well and moving the puck around well too. Strome and him click. I’m so happy on how he played.

Martin Fer was the best blue liner. Kept his man in front of him and his skating is incredible this edges look awesome.

Protas looked like a full time nhl player. That second line was our best line of the night.

The PP2 was the best power play unit and they had set it up different which is why it work well even tho it didn’t score they still generated a ton of chances.

Mojo impressed me. I apologize for doubting him. Looked pretty well. And he did his thing. Entered the zone cleanly.

Dump in chase sucks ass.

Carlson need to get his stuff together. Bad forces to ovi and bad defensive breaks.

TVR is always good.

The fourth line is demonstrating why it’s the best 4th line in hockey. Sheary was flying out there.

Only thing you didn’t capture that I would have in my notes was how well Brown and Strome seem to be fitting in, even a game in. Otherwise, you took the words out of my mouth. Hopefully we get a better game tonight
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
Game notes

Dump in chase sucks ass.

TVR is always good.

I like your game notes - agree on all the points (maybe except Martin Fer, but then again, it is hard to judge just because his partner was so bad). The only additions I'd make:

To go off of your point to Carlson, the 4th goal (Krejci goal I believe) showed Carlson's MISERABLE effort. The dude was gliding (if that).

Ovi looked determined throwing his body around for 9 hits and 3 shots on goal - didn't have amazing looks (except the final minute where he hit Bergeron in the glove with a shot). But still looked solid.

PP1 looked identical to last season - tight, slow, holding the puck, forcing passes. What happened to the PP that we saw in the preseason - fast puck movement, shots on net, moving it low to high

Not a game note but a thought:
I am somewhat worried about tonight - Caps need to come out ready to play. I think we will know within the first 10 minutes of the game if the Caps are in it or not.
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 12:50 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Only thing you didn’t capture that I would have in my notes was how well Brown and Strome seem to be fitting in, even a game in. Otherwise, you took the words out of my mouth. Hopefully we get a better game tonight

I should’ve mentioned Strome and Brown more they looked like they have been playing here for a while.

Also I’m glad I actually watched the game. It was really entertaining. And I actually said smart things. I’m a new man
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 12:54 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: All_Knowing
I like your game notes - agree on all the points (maybe except Martin Fer, but then again, it is hard to judge just because his partner was so bad). The only additions I'd make:

To go off of your point to Carlson, the 4th goal (Krejci goal I believe) showed Carlson's MISERABLE effort. The dude was gliding (if that).

Ovi looked determined throwing his body around for 9 hits and 3 shots on goal - didn't have amazing looks (except the final minute where he hit Bergeron in the glove with a shot). But still looked solid.

PP1 looked identical to last season - tight, slow, holding the puck, forcing passes. What happened to the PP that we saw in the preseason - fast puck movement, shots on net, moving it low to high

Not a game note but a thought:
I am somewhat worried about tonight - Caps need to come out ready to play. I think we will know within the first 10 minutes of the game if the Caps are in it or not.

I’m worried about tonight too. And I’m worried about Mantha consistency. Because he had a history of being the best player on the ice and not doing anything for like three games. Hopefully that turns around. We are playing Sammy tonight too. Wonder how he is gonna play. Because we know he could be the best thing in the world or why is he in this league.

Also we need a better transition game. That’s why we won the cup. We have the talent to cash in on the other teams mistakes. Yesterday we did this once and sheary had that nice goal.
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 1:48 p.m.
I’m worried about tonight too. And I’m worried about Mantha consistency. Because he had a history of being the best player on the ice and not doing anything for like three games. Hopefully that turns around. We are playing Sammy tonight too. Wonder how he is gonna play. Because we know he could be the best thing in the world or why is he in this league.

Also we need a better transition game. That’s why we won the cup. We have the talent to cash in on the other teams mistakes. Yesterday we did this once and sheary had that nice goal.

Couldn't agree more about the transition game aspect.

Thinking about Eller on the semi breakaway late in the game last night where he shoots the puck right into Ulmark's chest - I mean come on...either shoot to score or shoot for a rebound (if memory serves me correctly, Eller had MoJo on his right driving as well...That was a big point of the game. Not saying every time someone has a semi breakaway, I expect a goal - but a better (more challenging) shot is necessary...
NoVaSpartan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 14, 2022 at 9:21 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Well, that game sucked. Montreal on Saturday needs to be a convincing win (which it won't be, since I'm in attendance and when I go to games that Caps find it funny to mess with my blood pressure and try and provide me with an early death), or else I'd start to be worried. Something feels... off about the team, but I can't quite place it. Hopefully just a slow start, but I'm just not seeing the energy from the 1st and 3rd lines or the 1st and 2nd D pairings, which might be it. Time will tell, I guess.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 14, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Well, that game sucked. Montreal on Saturday needs to be a convincing win (which it won't be, since I'm in attendance and when I go to games that Caps find it funny to mess with my blood pressure and try and provide me with an early death), or else I'd start to be worried. Something feels... off about the team, but I can't quite place it. Hopefully just a slow start, but I'm just not seeing the energy from the 1st and 3rd lines or the 1st and 2nd D pairings, which might be it. Time will tell, I guess.

Exactly and I’m on the trade Carlson trade again. He has been awful
Oct. 17, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Capitals Game Notes: 3-1 win vs Montreal

- Maybe my attendance at these games isn't the kiss of death it was last year. First period made me think the trend would continue, but thankfully the Caps got out of their funk in periods 2 and 3.

- Taking Kuzy off line 1 and PP1 was definitely the right move. I don't doubt that he can get back to previous form as the year progresses, but he has struggled so far and Strome gave the first line a nice boost. Hopefully they can get on the scoresheet tonight, but they've been decent despite no results to show for it. MoJo also gave the PP a great new edge, and he looks like he learned a thing or two from Backy after all those years.

- Perhaps I was too harsh on the "don't sign Gustafsson" trade. He's been quite solid so far, and I like that Lavy has felt confident enough to move around Orlov and TvR between pairs when needed.

- I have a feeling we may actually see the end to Eller's time in DC quite soon. It seemed like he was taken off PK at one point after the 1st period, and that combined with the meeting with Lavy and the in-game signing of Milano, I think the management may be laying the groundwork for an Eller dump at some point. As long as MoJo continues to play well on PK and 5v5, I don't mind the move as much as I would have before.

- Gallagher going apesh*t at the end of the game was quite something. Funny to see Carlson coming out of the pile holding two Habs back.

- Other assorted player thoughts: Keumper bounced back to form after an ugly first goal by Montreal, Orlov laid one of the best hits I've seen in a while, Mantha and Jensen both looked good, Eller looked invisible, Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway is going to be amazing this season.

- Final Thoughts (an ode to MoJo):

FfJt3kGWAAIROT6?format=jpg&name=small
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 17, 2022 at 11:10 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
When will Mikey get his playing time. I wanna see with with Milano. I know he is going to the ahl but I want to see it soon
Oct. 17, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
We need a guy who plays dump and chase perfectly. Got any ideas
Oct. 17, 2022 at 1:39 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
We need a guy who plays dump and chase perfectly. Got any ideas

Brown kind of does that already I think
Oct. 17, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Brown kind of does that already I think

We need the whole team to.
Oct. 17, 2022 at 4:03 p.m.
Any ideas on what is up with Kuzy? "Maintenance day" and then Lavy said nothing "per se" was hurting during Saturday night's game

Game-time decision...
Oct. 18, 2022 at 9:15 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Despite kuzys production yesterday something seems off about him.
Oct. 18, 2022 at 9:19 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: All_Knowing
Any ideas on what is up with Kuzy? "Maintenance day" and then Lavy said nothing "per se" was hurting during Saturday night's game

Game-time decision...

Despite kuzys production yesterday something seems off about him.

I wonder if Lavy is just bullsh*tting to the media, as Kuzy's skating looks slightly off, but maybe it isn't a physical issue, as I didn't see anything happen to him in the Montreal game to need a day off for injury (though maybe it occurred before). Perhaps something off the ice is messing with his play? He almost seems like he's in a daze while he's playing, and his head isn't entirely in it (which might explain the high stick yesterday)
Oct. 18, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
I’m looking at our drafts from the 70s

We sucked at drafting my god

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll