SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2022-2023 Season Thread #1

Oct. 18, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: capsfan2121
I’m looking at our drafts from the 70s

We sucked at drafting my god

Elite pick Rick Green first comes to mind(though he did bring us the biggest fleece in Caps history so thats a positive)
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 18, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Elite pick Rick Green first comes to mind(though he did bring us the biggest fleece in Caps history so thats a positive)

The first pick in franchise history 1oa.

Greg Joly

Whoooooo?
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 18, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Let’s take a second a admire elite first liner Travis Boyd, remember when we picked him over stephponsen. I can’t spell lol
Oct. 19, 2022 at 9:41 a.m.
Lavvy said this morning that more information will come out today on Connor Brown, but certainly not what we wanted to see with him. He is such a hardworking guy, a competitive guy on the ice.

Doesn't sound good.
NoVaSpartan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 10:24 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
If we want to make the playoffs we need to replace brown rn. Every game matters in this division. Honestly it isn’t the time to play the kids. Mikey can replace eller.
We need to fine another work horse. Sheary can’t do it all by himself. Who should it be
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 10:31 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
If we want to make the playoffs we need to replace brown rn. Every game matters in this division. Honestly it isn’t the time to play the kids. Mikey can replace eller.
We need to fine another work horse. Sheary can’t do it all by himself. Who should it be

I think for now, Snively/McM will suffice. We said this same thing last year, but the team did quite well even with AJF, Leason, Protas, McM, and Snively getting elevated playing time. I'd at least let them try and replace Brown for the next little bit, and reevaluate in a few games time. If Snively goes back to scoring like crazy, I don't think there will be too much of a problem, as he's almost a mini-Sheary (in height and in playing ability)
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 10:35 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
I think for now, Snively/McM will suffice. We said this same thing last year, but the team did quite well even with AJF, Leason, Protas, McM, and Snively getting elevated playing time. I'd at least let them try and replace Brown for the next little bit, and reevaluate in a few games time. If Snively goes back to scoring like crazy, I don't think there will be too much of a problem, as he's almost a mini-Sheary (in height and in playing ability)

Garland could be a fit. More long term.
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 10:45 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Garland could be a fit. More long term.

Maybe, probably too expensive though. I don't see a huge need for a Top 6 forward long term with Kuzy, Mantha, Wilson, and Ovi all locked up past this year, and Strome as an RFA. I'd look at someone like Kane short term if the Caps committed to paying up for a winger, but more reasonable priced guys will likely be available. Someone like a Trevor Moore if LA doesn't expect to resign him, perhaps.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 10:54 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Maybe, probably too expensive though. I don't see a huge need for a Top 6 forward long term with Kuzy, Mantha, Wilson, and Ovi all locked up past this year, and Strome as an RFA. I'd look at someone like Kane short term if the Caps committed to paying up for a winger, but more reasonable priced guys will likely be available. Someone like a Trevor Moore if LA doesn't expect to resign him, perhaps.

Wouldn’t really be that give of a problem. Garland would play up until brown returns and then when brown comes back we have a deeper wing depth. And protas scratched. I haven’t been that impressed with him
Oct. 19, 2022 at 12:12 p.m.
Edited Oct. 19, 2022 at 12:35 p.m.

I agree we should let McM and Snively have some playing time and see how they do. But eventually, if the Caps are a playoff contending team, they will need to go out and get someone who can fit that 15+ goal scorer AND aggressive/physical Brown/Wilson type player. McM/Snively are not that player (not a knock - just not their game). Slow starts can kill a team's chances to make the playoffs (Islanders last year for example).

I don't know who it should be, but the Caps might have to make a move sooner rather than later, especially since Oct/Nov/early Dec are the hardest months of the Caps schedule (by far honestly). We are in a tough position now that AJF and Leason are gone, as those players would have been pretty decent "sweeteners" within a deal

I have seen Drouin thrown around, Dadonov, Sam Bennett, James Van Riemsdyk maybe? I am not saying these are the guys (personally not a big fan of any lol), but just trying to spark some ideas
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: All_Knowing
I agree we should let McM and Snively have some playing time and see how they do. But eventually, if the Caps are a playoff contending team, they will need to go out and get someone who can fit that 15+ goal scorer AND aggressive/physical Brown/Wilson type player. McM/Snively are not that player (not a knock - just not their game). Slow starts can kill a team's chances to make the playoffs (Islanders last year for example).

I don't know who it should be, but the Caps might have to make a move sooner rather than later, especially since Oct/Nov/early Dec are the hardest months of the Caps schedule (by far honestly). We are in a tough position now that AJF and Leason are gone, as those players would have been pretty decent "sweeteners" within a deal

I have seen Drouin thrown around, Dadonov, Sam Bennett, James Van Riemsdyk maybe? I am not saying these are the guys (personally not a big fan of any lol), but just trying to spark some ideas

Bennett could be an interesting one, not a huge fan of the term he has left but would play a similar hard-nosed game, just not sure about price there. I considered throwing out Hornqvist's name if Florida would retain 50% but given his history against the Caps I'm not sure the core players would appreciate a move like that.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Bennett could be an interesting one, not a huge fan of the term he has left but would play a similar hard-nosed game, just not sure about price there. I considered throwing out Hornqvist's name if Florida would retain 50% but given his history against the Caps I'm not sure the core players would appreciate a move like that.

I mean Sheary, Schulzz and Hags where on those teams too, and they fit well into the team especially hags and sheary. Garland, Horny, Bennet, good targets.
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 12:53 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Beck Malyenstein is not the freaking answer.
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 1:02 p.m.

I mean Sheary, Schulzz and Hags where on those teams too, and they fit well into the team especially hags and sheary. Garland, Horny, Bennet, good targets.

Hornqvist would be a really great addition, 100%. What would be the price for him you think with retention?

And price for Bennet?

I'm not sure the Panthers would be sellers though, so they would need a NHL ready player back, not just draft picks.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Hornqvist would be a really great addition, 100%. What would be the price for him you think with retention?

And price for Bennet?

I'm not sure the Panthers would be sellers though, so they would need a NHL ready player back, not just draft picks.

Maybe eller? As the player and then good pick I would think and a prospect
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
Maybe eller? As the player and then good pick I would think and a prospect

Good idea. Any potential idea would be Max Domi. I know he isn't a grinder and I am not the biggest fan, but he has been connected with the Caps in years past...

Josh Anderson could be another. Not a bad idea for someone who throws his body around

Edit: I did not realize Josh Anderson has a 5x5.5 contract. Probably wouldn't work so nvm lol
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 1:20 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Good idea. Any potential idea would be Max Domi. I know he isn't a grinder and I am not the biggest fan, but he has been connected with the Caps in years past...

Josh Anderson could be another. Not a bad idea for someone who throws his body around

Edit: I did not realize Josh Anderson has a 5x5.5 contract. Probably wouldn't work so nvm lol

And if where to post a acgm with Anderson he is worth three firsts in some peoples minds(habs fans). I watched the habs closely last year. Anderson is more inconsistent than Mantha
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Ovechkin-Eller-Sheary
Protas-Strome-Oshie
Johansson-McMichael-Mantha
Snively-Dowd-Hathaway

Can we fire him.

Eller is the worst forward on the team
Oct. 20, 2022 at 7:58 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Ovechkin-Eller-Sheary
Protas-Strome-Oshie
Johansson-McMichael-Mantha
Snively-Dowd-Hathaway

Can we fire him.

Eller is the worst forward on the team

Which is why he needs to be there, imo. Moving Eller to any other line makes it much weaker and having Ovi and Sheary with him can help shield his inabilities from coming out.

Not a fan of any other line combos tbh. Protas-Eller-Oshie would be too slow, Ovi-McMichael-Sheary wouldn’t be able to play any defense, and we shouldn’t be breaking up Dowd-Hathaway.
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 20, 2022 at 8:00 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

I like the idea of a Domi acquisition. Shouldn’t cost too much, can play around the lineup, not tied up for too long, manageable cost makes him probably the best idea listed so far. With the inability the Chicago GM has showed so far, the Caps can probably get him below market price if MacLellan can maneuver well enough.
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 20, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Could Ryan Hartman be a guy we should target
Oct. 20, 2022 at 12:47 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Could Ryan Hartman be a guy we should target

Maybe, don't know if he keeps up his production from last year, but I could see him being a target if he continues producing and Minnesota is well out of a spot
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Is Aj Greer another target. Is he a Connor brown type
Oct. 20, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Is Aj Greer another target. Is he a Connor brown type

Not at all. Career AHL guy doing ok on the 3rd line, but nowhere near what the Caps need. Unless its a late round pick for a depth option come deadline time, Greer should be a no go.
Oct. 20, 2022 at 3:20 p.m.
Completely forgot about the season thread, so I'm going to restate what I posted recently on an ACGM re: replacing Brown going forward. Between Sheary, MoJo (who a lot of people owe MacLellan an apology about), Protas, Eller, Snively, McMichael, Milano, and Hathaway we have plenty of guys who can play the wing, get some special teams minutes, and chip in around 15/20/35. Because of health issues, I'm only expecting slightly better from Oshie, Wilson, and Backstrom. That leaves only Ovi, Kuzy, Strome, and Mantha as guys I am very confident will crack 50 points, and only really Ovi and Kuzy will get close to a point per game. What they are really missing is another bona-fide top 6 player who can actually drive play and scoring themselves, rather than just be a complimentary piece.

Going after Domi, JVR, Drouin, Dadonov, etc. will just put them right back where they were (as well as take away even more chances for McMichael and Snively to get minutes). It might raise the floor a bit given that with playing the young guys there is a much greater chance that they flame out, but it certainly doesn't raise our ceiling at all. Garland or Anderson would be a step above as direct Brown replacements and are definitively top-6 guys, but like Brown, Mantha, and Strome are much better suited serving a secondary role next to other elite players rather than driving a line themself.

Even though it wold probably cost a 1st and McMichael or Lapierre, my top choices for a Brown replacement would be Meier, Kane, Tarasenko, Bratt, Konecny, Schmaltz, PLD, Scheifle, and Pastrnak. Obviously not all those guys will be available but they all theoretically could be if their respective teams fall way out of the playoff race. Of those Meier is IMO the perfect fit -- a team that is clearly awful and desperately needs to start accumulating future assets, coming off of a ppg season, has consistently controlled possession throughout his career, only 26, and a high QO (that the caps could fit in) could bring the price down a la DeBrincat, only making 6m this year so could fit in relatively easily under the cap.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll