Yeah...wow.

I got some game notes coming today. Excited to read yours if you got any
NoVaSpartan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 21, 2022 at 8:15 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: All_Knowing
Yeah...wow.

I got some game notes coming today. Excited to read yours if you got any

Interested to see the notes you have on this game. I saw them go up 2-0 at the end of one and, thinking it was going to be fine and the Caps would win, went to do work for a government class and came back to this mess, so I'm still not sure how the team screwed up that great start.
All_Knowing and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 21, 2022 at 10:16 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
My games notes are going to be short.

Mantha needs to be on the first pp1.
We need to get rid of dump in chase or we get better forecheckers. Like it isn’t working. Mojo can weave through guys to set it up. Great entering the zone and that’s what led to the Oshie goal I believe. We need more movement. It’s the same thing. Protas isn’t ready to be on the nhl. Neither is Mcm. Snively played decent. Youth doesn’t fit into our system, we need to stop playing east to west and start playing north to south. We need a replacement for Wilson. We need a replacement for brown. Kuemper played awesome in the 3rd period. I’m sick of this. It’s been the same sh** for three years now. We need a system that’s fits modern day nhl. We are the slowest team in the league, we have skill tho. I know it’s only five games but having only 20-27 shots a game won’t win you games. We are going to fail hard this year especially in this division.
All_Knowing and qc14 liked this.
Oct. 21, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Anyways what do you guys think.
Oct. 21, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
My games notes are going to be short.

Mantha needs to be on the first pp1.
We need to get rid of dump in chase or we get better forecheckers. Like it isn’t working. Mojo can weave through guys to set it up. Great entering the zone and that’s what led to the Oshie goal I believe. We need more movement. It’s the same thing. Protas isn’t ready to be on the nhl. Neither is Mcm. Snively played decent. Youth doesn’t fit into our system, we need to stop playing east to west and start playing north to south. We need a replacement for Wilson. We need a replacement for brown. Kuemper played awesome in the 3rd period. I’m sick of this. It’s been the same sh** for three years now. We need a system that’s fits modern day nhl. We are the slowest team in the league, we have skill tho. I know it’s only five games but having only 20-27 shots a game won’t win you games. We are going to fail hard this year especially in this division.

Good notes. Pretty similar to mine. Last night was a tough one...

1st period:
Caps dominated. Shot the puck, had great possession, and certainly had their legs. Right from the start, it was pretty clear that the Caps had their legs and came out ready to play. Joe B commented on it as well. It was a great start. Enough said.

2nd period:
I mean, it was a totally different team. Back to back penalties from Oshie within minutes of each other (that resulted in two goals) hurt big time. The only other observation for 2nd period was Sens started to control puck and hit...and hit everything.

3rd period:
I mean, same story, but much worse. We looked absolutely horrible. No way to sugar coat it - just horrible. Defensive miscues, missed assignments, no physicality, no offensive possession, no forechecks. Felt like we were at 20 shots from the start of the period to the end. Only positive, Kuemper played out of his mind. I was really impressed with him.

High-level notes:
1) Caps are missing Wilson/Brown, and I mean BIG TIME. No way Sens would have been that physical if the Caps had a guy like 43 who could stand up. It was the first time in a very, very long time that I felt the Caps were soft. You could tell that the Sens hitting took a big toll out of the Caps. Even Ovi was getting pushed around, and no one was stepping up to hit them back (not even Hathaway). So if we aren't physical, we certainly aren't fast/young, we aren't stout defensively...what is our identity?
2) Protas was nowhere to be found. McM had his worst game as a Cap, and the whole "play him because he is young" narrative needs to stop - he is not there right now. Kid doesn't finish, doesn't play defense, is not physical (despite that fight good job there) - can't just give him a spot because he was a first round draft pick lol. Snively had a few opportunities, but I can't judge as I need to see another game outta him. Anyways, our rookies need to earn a spot, not just be gifted a spot because they are "young".
3) 4th line was terrible. Like really, really bad.
4) Carlson and Orlov together looked worse than Carlson and Fehervary (surprisingly).
5) The first line had 0 chemistry. Eller is obviously not a first line center lol...
6) Wow is our PK bad - so aggressive and out of place. They are running around like chickens with their heads cut off

Is it time to worry? No I don't think so. Not yet. We are 5 games in, battling a hurt amount of injuries. I will say, Saturday vs the Kings feels almost like a "must win" to get back on track.

Positives: Mantha, MoJo, Kuemper, PP

Lets get em Saturday.
NoVaSpartan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 22, 2022 at 9:12 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
idk what this team is anymore
Oct. 23, 2022 at 1:27 p.m.
Game notes from the Kings:

The biggest issue is that the elite guys (Ovi, Kuzy, Carlson) are not playing like elite guys. Fehervary has not taken a step forward and looks like he did at the end of last year, which is a 3rd pairing guy. Laviolette's system seems incapable of generating good offensive looks with this set of forwards. Wilson is a huge miss and Ovi and Kuzy look lost without him. Johansson and Gustafsson have looked great and BMac is owed an apology by a ton of people for those signings. Strome and Mantha are playing like they know this is a make-or-break year for them. Dowd and Hath seem to have lost some of their defensive prowess. The PK is down probably its 3 best forwards (Wilson, Hags, Brown) but looks atrocious.
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 23, 2022 at 1:34 p.m.
Also going to wade in on the McMichael debate since that seems to be a big trending topic on twitter/forums and RMNB just posted a big article on it. The Caps keeping McMichael as the 13th forward is completely fine and the right course of action. Would I like to see him get a shot at 3c instead of Eller? Of course. However, during camp and vs. the Sens he has not done anything to grab that spot for himself, and while Protas hasn't looked great in the regular season so far he is the only winger I can see McM beating out for a spot right now.

That leaves him either here as the 13th F, or sent back down to Hershey. Unlike almost everyone, however, I think sending him down to Hershey would be horrendous for his development and more importantly his confidence. He already proved last year that he has outgrown the AHL, and being sent back down after a full year of not playing in the minors would absolutely destroy his confidence and belief. Playing top line minutes in a league he has already outgrown will also certainly not help with the bad habits the coaching staff clearly want him to grow out of. Keep him up, and let him fight for a roster spot. People will get injured or suspended, and in the meantime he can continue to grow as a pro by being up with the big club and working with the coaching staff every day.
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 24, 2022 at 9:33 a.m.
Quoting: qc14
Game notes from the Kings:

The biggest issue is that the elite guys (Ovi, Kuzy, Carlson) are not playing like elite guys. Fehervary has not taken a step forward and looks like he did at the end of last year, which is a 3rd pairing guy. Laviolette's system seems incapable of generating good offensive looks with this set of forwards. Wilson is a huge miss and Ovi and Kuzy look lost without him. Johansson and Gustafsson have looked great and BMac is owed an apology by a ton of people for those signings. Strome and Mantha are playing like they know this is a make-or-break year for them. Dowd and Hath seem to have lost some of their defensive prowess. The PK is down probably its 3 best forwards (Wilson, Hags, Brown) but looks atrocious.

I missed the first period and most of second from Saturdays game. Caught the good part though wink

Looks like Eller had a good night? Saw some highlights showing him in pretty solid position/goal? That accurate or did I make that up?

Ovi looked a little out of touch a little as well?
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2022 at 9:56 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
How angry are we at Sammys success
Oct. 24, 2022 at 10:12 a.m.
I missed the first period and most of second from Saturdays game. Caught the good part though wink

Looks like Eller had a good night? Saw some highlights showing him in pretty solid position/goal? That accurate or did I make that up?

Ovi looked a little out of touch a little as well?

Eller did have a good night. His line especially was pretty dominant at 5v5. Ovi and Kuzy just look slightly off offensively and the same defensively, which means they are not good.
All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 24, 2022 at 10:15 a.m.
How angry are we at Sammys success

I would give it more than 4 games ... it was the sammycoaster for a reason
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 25, 2022 at 8:53 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Well, that was a refreshing game. Looked like the offense finally woke up from their long nap (possibly as a side effect of Ovi scoring), and while I am slightly concerned by the lack of shots through most of the game, it was nice to see most of the team not fall apart after giving up a goal early.

Also, take a bow Charlie Lindgren. Absolutely beautiful performance.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 25, 2022 at 9:10 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Well, that was a refreshing game. Looked like the offense finally woke up from their long nap (possibly as a side effect of Ovi scoring), and while I am slightly concerned by the lack of shots through most of the game, it was nice to see most of the team not fall apart after giving up a goal early.

Also, take a bow Charlie Lindgren. Absolutely beautiful performance.

im so happy we have charlie for the next three years
Oct. 25, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Games notes:

I was at the game, and I'll say - Prudential Center is great (besides the main entrance which is set up horribly). But other than that, it is a great, kid-friendly, cheap arena. Props to Newark, NJ for setting it up right. Anyways, back to the game.

I thought the Caps came out slow. They looked slow and old. As the game progressed, 1st period got better and better (still not great), but the second was pretty impressive. Dowd goal got some life back into the game. Second was a great period for the Caps. 4th line was absolutely great this game. Great defensively, solid possession time, and obviously, two goals on the board = great night for them. I thought this was the first game that Hathaway really threw his body around, which was great to see. Also, forgot how great Dowd is on winning board battles - great job 4th line.

Let's talk about Sheary. He is red hot this season. I am loving his game and his energy for this Caps team. After his short-handed goal, the Caps bench went crazy. I was in the upper deck and I could hear them cheering. Really energized them - GREAT to see.

Jensen - another great game.

Great to see Protas on the board. I thought he was decent in this game. The boarding penalty happened solely because he is just stronger than the average NHL player.

Lindgren was really really impressive last night. He stole the game for the Caps. He made great save after great save. I know Kuemper is one of those goalies who does better with a bigger workload, but I am excited to see Lindgren get some more games. He looks on point to start this season (knock on wood that continues).

Now the negatives:
Slow start (I guess) is one. But small potatoes as they came on well.

But the big one for me is more of a compliant. We were in prevent defense from the exact start of the 3rd. I get being up 5-1 calls for less aggressive play. But the Caps don't have enough of a stellar defense that can suffocate teams (sorta like the Islanders with Trotz). I do not believe the Caps should play / can play prevent defense for 20min straight. It was opportunity after opportunity for the Devils in the third (and easily could ahve been 5-4 with 9 min left if not for Lindgren's incredible pad save on a backdoor), and honestly, I thought they were going to comeback (almost did). The prevent defense changed with about 8 min left in the game where the Caps started to get some time of possession, which killed off time, provided some defensive relief, and iced the game with Protas's nifty move. But I am strongly against playing prevent defense for an extended period of time - it just is not build for the Caps style of play.

That being said - great win. Lets come out on Thursday and get another.
NoVaSpartan, capsfan2121 and qc14 liked this.
Oct. 25, 2022 at 11:53 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Games notes:

I was at the game, and I'll say - Prudential Center is great (besides the main entrance which is set up horribly). But other than that, it is a great, kid-friendly, cheap arena. Props to Newark, NJ for setting it up right. Anyways, back to the game.

I thought the Caps came out slow. They looked slow and old. As the game progressed, 1st period got better and better (still not great), but the second was pretty impressive. Dowd goal got some life back into the game. Second was a great period for the Caps. 4th line was absolutely great this game. Great defensively, solid possession time, and obviously, two goals on the board = great night for them. I thought this was the first game that Hathaway really threw his body around, which was great to see. Also, forgot how great Dowd is on winning board battles - great job 4th line.

Let's talk about Sheary. He is red hot this season. I am loving his game and his energy for this Caps team. After his short-handed goal, the Caps bench went crazy. I was in the upper deck and I could hear them cheering. Really energized them - GREAT to see.

Jensen - another great game.

Great to see Protas on the board. I thought he was decent in this game. The boarding penalty happened solely because he is just stronger than the average NHL player.

Lindgren was really really impressive last night. He stole the game for the Caps. He made great save after great save. I know Kuemper is one of those goalies who does better with a bigger workload, but I am excited to see Lindgren get some more games. He looks on point to start this season (knock on wood that continues).

Now the negatives:
Slow start (I guess) is one. But small potatoes as they came on well.

But the big one for me is more of a compliant. We were in prevent defense from the exact start of the 3rd. I get being up 5-1 calls for less aggressive play. But the Caps don't have enough of a stellar defense that can suffocate teams (sorta like the Islanders with Trotz). I do not believe the Caps should play / can play prevent defense for 20min straight. It was opportunity after opportunity for the Devils in the third (and easily could ahve been 5-4 with 9 min left if not for Lindgren's incredible pad save on a backdoor), and honestly, I thought they were going to comeback (almost did). The prevent defense changed with about 8 min left in the game where the Caps started to get some time of possession, which killed off time, provided some defensive relief, and iced the game with Protas's nifty move. But I am strongly against playing prevent defense for an extended period of time - it just is not build for the Caps style of play.

That being said - great win. Lets come out on Thursday and get another.

Very nice that you were able to attend the game! I drove up there in 2020-21 when Vrana was originally scratched that year and when the Devils started hosting games after Covid. Prudential Center is definitely a nice arena to see a game at (also I believe the main manager of George Mason's arena was part of the team to design it, so interesting local tie-in). As for the notes themselves, I think you really hit everything right on the nose, especially with the team going into prevent (great way to describe that) defense up 5-1. It ended up being alright, but I do find it frustrating that the Caps seem to spoon-feed opposing teams opportunities when they are up big, like they want the game to get closer.
All_Knowing and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 27, 2022 at 8:55 a.m.
Saw a rumor yesterday that Caps are linked to Ethan Bear. I for one really like Bear - I think he is a great puck moving young defender (and RHD which is somewhere the Caps don't have a lot of NHL ready depth). Potential trade / waiver pick up (although I am not sure who has priority on the waiver wire right now). But you could send Irwin down and pick up Bear. If a LHD gets hurt, TVR played on the left side all last year. Just a thought
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 27, 2022 at 9:05 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Saw a rumor yesterday that Caps are linked to Ethan Bear. I for one really like Bear - I think he is a great puck moving young defender (and RHD which is somewhere the Caps don't have a lot of NHL ready depth). Potential trade / waiver pick up (although I am not sure who has priority on the waiver wire right now). But you could send Irwin down and pick up Bear. If a LHD gets hurt, TVR played on the left side all last year. Just a thought

It's an interesting Idea, but I worry that it would force the Caps to lose either Gustafsson or Alexeyev to waivers, with Gus playing well and Alexeyev still harboring good potential, I worry a loss of one of them would be as detrimental to the team as a pickup of Bear is. If they have a defenseman go down long term, I'd be much more on board with giving Bear a chance, but I don't think a move like that in it's current state would be beneficial enough to fully outweigh a potential loss of Gustafsson or Alexeyev when Alexeyev returns from injury.
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.
Oct. 27, 2022 at 9:26 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Edited Oct. 27, 2022 at 11:16 a.m.
I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this idea, what are your thoughts on what the Caps top 5 prospects are and what you think they could become?

My rankings are only going to include players who have played in less than 30 NHL games.

1A. Vinny Iorio: (Top 4 RHD who reminds me of a young Carlson) Great shot and someone I expect to be really smooth offensively, with some worries on defense.
1B. Hendrix Lapierre: (2nd line center and 50-60 point guy) I worry he lost some vital development time going back to the QMJHL last year despite being AHL ready, but should be able to overcome that and become a nice 2C down the road.
2. Ivan Miroshnichenko: (Top line LW, 40 goal scorer, Mini-Ovi) As far as projections go, Miro would be #1 on this list for me, as the more I watch, the more I love from him. He's got an amazing shot and I like his speed as well. However, I'm keeping him lower on the list due to missing development time fighting Lymphoma, and his overall riskier development chances.
3. Ryan Chesley: (Top 4 RHD that can play both sides) Chesley is already looks like a steal after sliding out of the 1st round in 2022 draft, and being behind Iorio and Johnson on the development timeline should allow him to not be rushed up before he's ready.
4. Clay Stevenson: (1A/1B goalie, can play 40 or so games but won't be a 60 game goalie) There's a big drop-off between 3 and 4, but I do still like Stevenson's upside after a strong season at Dartmouth. For me, he looks a bit better than Mitchell Gibson and Garin Bjorklund, and I think he'll end up being a pretty decent 40 game guy. I don't see him being able to maintain a large workload, however.

Honorable Mentions: Mitchell Gibson (Solid Backup, has excelled at Harvard), Oskar Magnusson (3rd line Winger, jumped up my list after strong international play), Brent Johnson (#4 or #5 guy, goes under the radar much like the last Capital named Brent Johnson), Alexander Suzadelev (Middle 6 forward, early results from Regina look strong, though it's too early to tell whether that's because of him or because of playing with Bedard)
qc14 liked this.
Oct. 27, 2022 at 10:05 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this idea, what are your thoughts on what the Caps top 5 prospects are and what you think they could become?

My rankings are only going to include players who have played in less than 30 NHL games.

1A. Vinny Iorio: (Top 4 RHD who reminds me of a young Carlson) Great shot and someone I expect to be really smooth offensively, with some worries on defense.
1B. Hendrix Lapierre: (2nd line center and 50-60 point guy) I worry he lost some vital development time going back to the QMJHL last year despite being AHL ready, but should be able to overcome that and become a nice 2C down the road.
2. Ivan Miroshnichenko: (Top line LW, 40 goal scorer, Mini-Ovi) As far as projections go, Miro would be #1 on this list for me, as the more I watch, the more I love from him. He's got an amazing shot and I like his speed as well. However, I'm keeping him lower on the list due to missing development time fighting Lymphoma, and his overall riskier development chances.
3. Ryan Chesley: (Top 4 RHD that can play both sides) Chesley already looks like a steal after sliding out of the 1st round in 2022 draft, and being behind Iorio and Johnson on the development timeline should allow him to not be rushed up before he's ready.
4. Clay Stevenson: (1A/1B goalie, can play 40 or so games but won't be a 60 game goalie) There's a big drop-off between 3 and 4, but I do still like Stevenson's upside after a strong season at Dartmouth. For me, he looks a bit better than Mitchell Gibson and Garin Bjorklund, and I think he'll end up being a pretty decent 40 game guy. I don't see him being able to maintain a large workload, however.

Honorable Mentions: Mitchell Gibson (Solid Backup, has excelled at Harvard), Oskar Magnusson (3rd line Winger, jumped up my list after strong international play), Brent Johnson (#4 or #5 guy, goes under the radar much like the last Capital named Brent Johnson), Alexander Suzadelev (Middle 6 forward, too early to know for sure on him, but early results from Regina look strong, though it's too early to tell whether that's because of him or because of playing with Bedard)

we still need to sign oskar right?
also

im a little worried about hendrix.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 27, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
we still need to sign oskar right?
also

im a little worried about hendrix.

Magnusson, Chesley, Gibson, Johnson, and Miroshnichenko all are on the reserve list, yes.

I’d also be slightly concerned since he looked like he lost time readjusting to play in the Q, and looked like he wasn’t improving. If he had been able to be sent to the AHL, I think he definitely would have. I’m not super concerned right now though, since the Caps have too many forwards NHL-Ready as it is.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 27, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
what do you think the best connor mc trade value is
Oct. 27, 2022 at 2:31 p.m.

3. Ryan Chesley: (Top 4 RHD that can play both sides) Chesley is already looks like a steal after sliding out of the 1st round in 2022 draft, and being behind Iorio and Johnson on the development timeline should allow him to not be rushed up before he's ready.

Honorable Mentions: Mitchell Gibson (Solid Backup, has excelled at Harvard), Oskar Magnusson (3rd line Winger, jumped up my list after strong international play), Brent Johnson (#4 or #5 guy, goes under the radar much like the last Capital named Brent Johnson), Alexander Suzadelev (Middle 6 forward, early results from Regina look strong, though it's too early to tell whether that's because of him or because of playing with Bedard)

Would probably put Miro at 1, then keep everyone else the same. Would note that Suzdalev has actually not been getting as much time with Bedard as people originally thought, which makes his production a bit more impressive.
NoVaSpartan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll