SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2022-2023 Season Thread #1

Nov. 20, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
I think with orlov Oshie backstrom coming back soon and Wilson. Make a trade. Keep us in the race. Because time is running out.

thats definitely what I would do but I think a lot depends on what the cost would be. I'd move McM / 24 1st / Iorio / Protas all day but would be really hesitant on Miro / Lap / 23 1st
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.
Quoting: qc14
thats definitely what I would do but I think a lot depends on what the cost would be. I'd move McM / 24 1st / Iorio / Protas all day but would be really hesitant on Miro / Lap / 23 1st

I would be hesitant to move Iorio - he really is our only RHD prospect who could be ready in 1-2 years to make the jump to the NHL...Cheney (spelling?) isn't close to be ready (obviously).

For me, I would look into the trade market, but that being said, I would keep in mind two things:

1) Price (like qc14 stated)
2) Making sure I am not making a trade just to make a trade. We need an impact player who can come in and ignite the culture/fire. What Jensen, Eller, MoJo said after Saturday's game (about not having the motivation to play the game / having a tough time finding energy to bring to the game) is not good. Actually, quite concerning for a player to actually admit that (not a knock on the players as they go through a lot, but certainly a concern).

I saw Karlsson and Horvat "briefly linked" to the Caps as potential targets. I would pass on Karlsson, unless some salary was retained (some as in minimum $3mil).
Horvat would be fine, and we could move Strome to LW, but I don't love the fit...
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: All_Knowing
I would be hesitant to move Iorio - he really is our only RHD prospect who could be ready in 1-2 years to make the jump to the NHL...Cheney (spelling?) isn't close to be ready (obviously).

For me, I would look into the trade market, but that being said, I would keep in mind two things:

1) Price (like qc14 stated)
2) Making sure I am not making a trade just to make a trade. We need an impact player who can come in and ignite the culture/fire. What Jensen, Eller, MoJo said after Saturday's game (about not having the motivation to play the game / having a tough time finding energy to bring to the game) is not good. Actually, quite concerning for a player to actually admit that (not a knock on the players as they go through a lot, but certainly a concern).

I saw Karlsson and Horvat "briefly linked" to the Caps as potential targets. I would pass on Karlsson, unless some salary was retained (some as in minimum $3mil).
Horvat would be fine, and we could move Strome to LW, but I don't love the fit...

100% agree that a trade needs to be for an actual elite forward. Caps have a ton of really good depth complimentary guys, the problem is they are all playing at least one spot too high in the lineup. Meier is still the dream for me -- elite guy, under team control for next year, still pretty young. If they could even play ~.500 hockey and stay 2-4 points back of the playoffs, I would be fine with Kane or Tarasenko too but they would be a big risk. Garland at the right price would be intriguing but hard pass on moving a 23 (or even 24) first for him. Would take Duchene, Johansen, Miller at a discounted price given their massive contracts. Extremely wary on Horvat -- like the player a lot but he's shooting 22% right now and is a prime candidate for an overpay both in trade acquisition and the subsequent contract. Would stay even further away from Boeser who hasn't improved at all since his rookie year and doesn't even have the flexibility of playing center. Schenn and O'Reilly look completely cooked and not worth the assets. Assume if STL sells they would keep Buchnevich but if he becomes available Caps should be all over him, worth a 23 first + imo. With how well NJD is playing I think Bratt gets moved in the offseason unfortunately. Nyquist, Henrique, Silfverberg, Dadonov, Hoffman are more expensive versions of guys the Caps already have and should not at all be in the discussion. Kings don't really have cap problems and are good otherwise Arvidsson or Moore would be good pick-offs.

On defense, would stay away from Karlsson unless they move Carlson, something I don't think they will or should do. Chychrun is the defensive version of Horvat imo, would be a great fit but for like half of the rumored asking price. Murphy, Gavrikov types are good players but more of an offseason move. Could definitely see something worked out with LAK for one of their 17 RD lol.
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 2:15 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Thoughts on Blake Coleman?
Nov. 21, 2022 at 5:38 p.m.
Thoughts on Blake Coleman?

6 points in 17 games. good player but a complimentary one. need guys that can actually drive offense by themselves.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:09 a.m.
Lines this morning before Flyers:

Ovi-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Kuzy-Oshie
MoJo-Eller-Mantha
Protas-Dowd-Hath

Gus-Carlson
Feh-Jensen
Irwin-TVR

This is the first time I have seen the forward lines and thought they looked pretty good honestly. I think Strome really compliments (consistently) Ovi. That second line looks fantastic. Third line, eh (but when does it not look eh lol). MoJo did look great on the 4th line the other day (forgot what game it was). And honestly, Kubel looked like a decent fit on the 3rd with eller and mantha..but oh well. Fourth line, honestly, I would like to see Kubel instead of Protas as he seems to be a PERFECT fit (strong on the puck, wins board battles, physical, good forechecker) for our 4th line, but small potatoes.

Defense - I mean Gus and Carlson is a pairing that is just begging to get burned. But who else would you put up there? Maybe TVR and play him on the left...? Idk.

I have always been a Carlson defender, but it is really bad that we need to play a guy with our $8mil "star" defender that will "cover" his mistakes. Anyways, got a few days off - hopefully the boys come out with some intensity.
NoVaSpartan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 3:03 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Lines this morning before Flyers:

Ovi-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Kuzy-Oshie
MoJo-Eller-Mantha
Protas-Dowd-Hath

Gus-Carlson
Feh-Jensen
Irwin-TVR

This is the first time I have seen the forward lines and thought they looked pretty good honestly. I think Strome really compliments (consistently) Ovi. That second line looks fantastic. Third line, eh (but when does it not look eh lol). MoJo did look great on the 4th line the other day (forgot what game it was). And honestly, Kubel looked like a decent fit on the 3rd with eller and mantha..but oh well. Fourth line, honestly, I would like to see Kubel instead of Protas as he seems to be a PERFECT fit (strong on the puck, wins board battles, physical, good forechecker) for our 4th line, but small potatoes.

Defense - I mean Gus and Carlson is a pairing that is just begging to get burned. But who else would you put up there? Maybe TVR and play him on the left...? Idk.

I have always been a Carlson defender, but it is really bad that we need to play a guy with our $8mil "star" defender that will "cover" his mistakes. Anyways, got a few days off - hopefully the boys come out with some intensity.

At this point, I’d like to see Alexeyev for a more prolonged period of time, I’d maybe have him in over Irwin and let him get a chance on the 1st pair if he does well.

Hopefully we also see Mantha swapped with Oshie eventually, I’d like to see how Strome and Mantha work together.
Nov. 25, 2022 at 6:06 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Finally, a complete game by everybody! No complaints with anyone for once
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 25, 2022 at 8:49 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Finally, a complete game by everybody! No complaints with anyone for once

Just overall speed but we are a slower team but that’s it. Great well rounded game. Osh is on fire. Ovi is hot again. Things are looking up.
Nov. 26, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I want Timo on the team.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 9:56 a.m.
Ovi-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Kuzy-Oshie
NAK-Eller-Mantha
MoJo-Dowd-Hath

I would like to see these forward lines. The third line (per usual) looks thin and probably will continue to struggle, but with NAK there to forecheck, could help (maybe). Cannot break up the second line - they look like they have good chemistry.

Put MoJo on the 4th, as he looked pretty solid there a few games ago. Protas needs to sit - he just doesn't do anything out there.

Feh-Carlson
Gus-Jensen
Irwin-TVR

These, to me, are the most realistic based on what Lavy has done in the past. I would like to see TVR on the first line and Carlson on the 3rd, but that would never happen. TVR deserves more minutes and looked GREAT when Carlson was out. Would be interesting to see TVR-Carlson, but that would provide a huge hole on the 3rd RHD. Honestly, for defense, I am kinda at a loss until Orlov comes back. Forwards need to pitch in on defense to assist both the defenders and the goalies.

Big road trip coming up - need to gather some points. My prediction:

Canucks (W), Kraken (W), Flames (L), Oilers (L), & Flyers (W)
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 10:11 a.m.
Ovi-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Kuzy-Oshie
NAK-Eller-Mantha
MoJo-Dowd-Hath

I would like to see these forward lines. The third line (per usual) looks thin and probably will continue to struggle, but with NAK there to forecheck, could help (maybe). Cannot break up the second line - they look like they have good chemistry.

Put MoJo on the 4th, as he looked pretty solid there a few games ago. Protas needs to sit - he just doesn't do anything out there.

Feh-Carlson
Gus-Jensen
Irwin-TVR

These, to me, are the most realistic based on what Lavy has done in the past. I would like to see TVR on the first line and Carlson on the 3rd, but that would never happen. TVR deserves more minutes and looked GREAT when Carlson was out. Would be interesting to see TVR-Carlson, but that would provide a huge hole on the 3rd RHD. Honestly, for defense, I am kinda at a loss until Orlov comes back. Forwards need to pitch in on defense to assist both the defenders and the goalies.

Ovi-Strome-Protas
Milano-Kuz-Osh
Sheary-Eller-Mantha
MoJo-Dowd-Hath

Agree w/ you about MoJo on the fourth line, but think Protas is just a better player than NAK. Sheary moves down for me through no fault of his own but just to provide some more balance in the lines. On defense I would love to see TVR given a chance with Carlson and Irwin moved over to the right side. Would require Irwin (and TVR) moving to their off side but I think both of them have actually been pretty good and could handle it.

TVR-Carlson
Feh-Jensen
Gus-Irwin
All_Knowing and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 10:40 a.m.
Quoting: qc14
Ovi-Strome-Protas
Milano-Kuz-Osh
Sheary-Eller-Mantha
MoJo-Dowd-Hath

Agree w/ you about MoJo on the fourth line, but think Protas is just a better player than NAK. Sheary moves down for me through no fault of his own but just to provide some more balance in the lines. On defense I would love to see TVR given a chance with Carlson and Irwin moved over to the right side. Would require Irwin (and TVR) moving to their off side but I think both of them have actually been pretty good and could handle it.

TVR-Carlson
Feh-Jensen
Gus-Irwin

I could also go with these forward lines as well. The main thing I want to see is A) a true forechecking on the 1st (Protas, NAK, and I guess Sheary although not really), B) something to get the 3rd line going - I had NAK because he looked decent with Eller-Mantha, but Sheary will do the trick, and C) MoJo on the fourth to spark that line, which has been underperforming big time.

Defense -> I like these, but Irwin on his offside - I just don't know honestly. No judgement, but I just don't know if that works
Nov. 29, 2022 at 10:50 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Ovi-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Kuzy-Oshie
NAK-Eller-Mantha
MoJo-Dowd-Hath

Feh-Carlson
Gus-Jensen
Irwin-TVR

My lines would be:

Ovi-Strome-Protas (I think Protas can be that forechecking guy, has worked well with Ovi in the past)
Milano-Kuzy-Mantha (Reward Milano for strong play, give Mantha 2nd line time)
Sheary-Eller-Oshie (easily the weakest of the lines, but I'd like to see how they play anyway)
MoJo-Dowd-Hathaway (let mojo play the Hagelin role)

Fehervary-Carlson (Let Fehervary back getting 1st pair minutes)
Alexeyev-Jensen (I want to see Alexeyev get extended time, Jensen can stabilize him)
Gus-TvR (Standard 3rd pairing, let them get similar minutes to Alexeyev-Jensen if they do well)
All_Knowing liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 11:36 a.m.
My lines would be:

Ovi-Strome-Protas (I think Protas can be that forechecking guy, has worked well with Ovi in the past)
Milano-Kuzy-Mantha (Reward Milano for strong play, give Mantha 2nd line time)
Sheary-Eller-Oshie (easily the weakest of the lines, but I'd like to see how they play anyway)
MoJo-Dowd-Hathaway (let mojo play the Hagelin role)

Fehervary-Carlson (Let Fehervary back getting 1st pair minutes)
Alexeyev-Jensen (I want to see Alexeyev get extended time, Jensen can stabilize him)
Gus-TvR (Standard 3rd pairing, let them get similar minutes to Alexeyev-Jensen if they do well)

Mantha certainly needs 2nd line play. Him and Eller do not play well together and it has clearly shown. Mantha needs to start producing, and the best way to get a player to produce is play him with fast / talented players. That second line would be really, really good, I think.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Ovi Kuzy Mantha
Milano Strome Oshie
Mojo Eller Nak
Sheary dowd Hathaway

Get that fourth line back together.

Feh Carlson
Gus Jensen
Irwin TVR
Nov. 29, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
72jgrd.jpg

Hes doing coke again
Nov. 29, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Nov. 29, 2022 at 10:20 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Edited Nov. 29, 2022 at 10:37 p.m.
That third line just played like a pp unit for like 2 and half minutes maybe more. Looked pretty good.

Update: Eller great play on the board which leads to a mojo pass to Mantha. I think we have a set line there.

Also Sheary has so many chances, he can’t finish. Reminds me of Hagelin lol
All_Knowing liked this.
Dec. 1, 2022 at 9:06 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

I'm hyped
qc14 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.

I'm hyped

he's been really good in the VHL and MHL this year. Hope he can stick in the K
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Dec. 2, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
Rough one last night.

Can't play prevent defense for 20+ minutes. Was a team effort to be that bad, but calling out one player - Mantha was invisible and played just over 10 minutes. Not sure what else to say - frustrating.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Dec. 2, 2022 at 10:00 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Rough one last night.

Can't play prevent defense for 20+ minutes. Was a team effort to be that bad, but calling out one player - Mantha was invisible and played just over 10 minutes. Not sure what else to say - frustrating.

What are we doing and what is management doing.

Somebody needs to do something
All_Knowing liked this.
Dec. 2, 2022 at 10:04 a.m.
What are we doing and what is management doing.

Somebody needs to do something

Staying afloat until Wilson and Orlov come back?

I honestly don't know, but clearly something needs to change if the Caps want to string together some wins. And those wins need to come soon, as we are already 25 games in.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2022 at 10:08 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Staying afloat until Wilson and Orlov come back?

I honestly don't know, but clearly something needs to change if the Caps want to string together some wins. And those wins need to come soon, as we are already 25 games in.

We can’t wait anymore. It’s already December. Next thing you know it’s going to be all star break. We need a guy. The guy. That will turn this around. But who I don’t know.
Anyone know what we need?
All_Knowing liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll