SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2022-2023 Season Thread #1

Jan. 20, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
Always have 2018
Quoting: qc14
My thoughts on the lines, Mantha, and Laviolette after a nice win tonight and a very unlucky loss (with some very questionable goaltending) against MIN.

Its pretty clear that Lav sees players as filling certain roles in his system rather than building his system to get the most talented players in the lineup. I'm not sure its the philosophy I would go with, but I think everyone needs to take that as a starting point. Within each line, it seems like he wants one puck retriever, one setup guy, and one shooter. This is why Ovi has always been paired with Wilson, Sheary, or now NAK as his other winger (or even Mike Knuble or Joel Ward back in the day). The other lines can be seen in this way -- Ovi, Milano, Oshie, and Johansson are roughly the shooters, Strome, Backstrom, Eller, Kuzy the setup guys, and NAK, Wilson, Sheary, Hath the puck retrievers. It makes sense, and I think has worked pretty well, especially the Milano-Backstrom-Wilson line. Mantha's problem (in addition to getting unlucky goaltending results) is that he doesn't fit any of those categories very clearly or consistently. He's squandered too many breakaways and good chances to be a finisher, doesn't have the vision or passing to be a setup guy, and most importantly isn't consistently physical enough to be a puck retriever -- at least in the way Lav wants the team to play. He's stuck in a weird position where he then throws off the balance of any line he gets put on, not really (once again within the confines of Lav's system) complimenting any other pairing of forwards. Move the combos around to accommodate him, by say putting out a Mantha-Strome-Wilson line, and you automatically break up better pairings and don't effectively optimize better players like Ovi and Kuzy. The combo I think worked the best (unsurprisingly given how good they are) was when he was on the 4th line with Dowd and Hathaway. With Dowd out injured though, that's not an option, and even if it was MoJo fits that role nicely AND kills penalties.

Overall I just can't get as worked up about Mantha as people on RMNB, Japers, and Twitter do. He's a very good player, who has good underlyings and boxcars, and I think he can still work out in DC. At the same time, coaches need to think just as much about the how of those results and put every player, not just Mantha, with teammates that will play off of their strengths and mask their weaknesses. I just think Mantha is a bit too much of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none type player to fit in with what Lav wants to do. Once again I disagree with this a bit philosophically, but I totally understand it -- especially when the combos for these past two games seem to have worked out very well.

Great response and I think you are right. I think the only solution is to trade him, if we aren't going to utilize his strengths and we won't play him there is no reason to keep him.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
Always have 2018
Quoting: All_Knowing
Great write up qc14 - I think you hit it spot on. I definitely think Mantha is an effective player AND can work in DC.

To answer the question above - I really think we should hold on to Mantha. Think about how many injuries this team has gone through (and potentially, god forbid, might go through in the near future)...We all know the player (players) I am referring to so no need to speak that bad mojo. That being said, having a guy (yes I know a $5.7mil guy) to plug in where needed is absolutely huge. Plus, depending on matchups, Lavy has options and almost always, options are good.

One big exception - If Mantha can be used in a package to get a top 4, effective D (preferably with term due to only have Carlson next year) OR a better top 6 winger (which is not something I would be necessarily shopping for if I were the Caps).

Anyways, I would love to see Mantha in there, but too many times, the guy plays and I forget he is actually in the lineup. Whereas NAK, MoJo, Eller, even Protas - I ALWAYS notice them (usually for decent to good things lol).

Having good depth is important and its always nice to have a backup plan if someone gets hurt, however someone like Mantha cannot be the healthy scratch that is there in case someone gets hurt.

We can't afford to have $5.7 million in the press box every night just in case. That's a waste of cap and a player.

It seems pretty clear that he does not fit Lavis system and we need to move him instead of wasting his cap. We could use a top 4 D but we still need another top 6 forward, NAK, Milano, Sheary, and Mojo can do alright in the top 6 but they are not true top 6 players.

The only options are to play him (which lavi wont) or trade him.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 4:38 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Edited Jan. 21, 2023 at 8:41 a.m.
Delete
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:36 p.m.
Great write up qc14 - I think you hit it spot on. I definitely think Mantha is an effective player AND can work in DC.

To answer the question above - I really think we should hold on to Mantha. Think about how many injuries this team has gone through (and potentially, god forbid, might go through in the near future)...We all know the player (players) I am referring to so no need to speak that bad mojo. That being said, having a guy (yes I know a $5.7mil guy) to plug in where needed is absolutely huge. Plus, depending on matchups, Lavy has options and almost always, options are good.

One big exception - If Mantha can be used in a package to get a top 4, effective D (preferably with term due to only have Carlson next year) OR a better top 6 winger (which is not something I would be necessarily shopping for if I were the Caps).

Anyways, I would love to see Mantha in there, but too many times, the guy plays and I forget he is actually in the lineup. Whereas NAK, MoJo, Eller, even Protas - I ALWAYS notice them (usually for decent to good things lol).

I 100% agree. No need to panic at all
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.
Jan. 23, 2023 at 2:15 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Alex Holtz for Mantha. (Might be bad for devils but gives them what they need.
Jan. 24, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Jan. 24, 2023 at 11:02 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Miro is having a tough time in the k. Aren’t they only playing him like 5 minutes a game. I know that’s what was happening when he first started
Jan. 24, 2023 at 11:06 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: capsfan2121
Miro is having a tough time in the k. Aren’t they only playing him like 5 minutes a game. I know that’s what was happening when he first started

Last couple games he hasn't touched the ice at all. Omsk is using him as a 13th forward on most nights and he's lucky if he cracks 4 minutes of ice time (hes had a decent amount of 2 minute TOI and no TOI games so far). It's a miracle he's had enough time to put up any points at all, to be honest. I'd like to see him get dealt to a bad team like Sochi, just like Michkov. Could do wonders for his development.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 24, 2023 at 10:46 p.m.
Always have 2018
Edited Jan. 24, 2023 at 11:19 p.m.
Hoping Tom’s alright, can’t have him out long term again

It is his right leg and not his left which he had surgery on.
Jan. 24, 2023 at 11:19 p.m.
Always have 2018
Edited Jan. 24, 2023 at 11:25 p.m.
4 game point streak for stromer.

5 points in 5 games since being scratched
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 24, 2023 at 11:38 p.m.
Always have 2018
Thought we played really well with no backy, osh, or Willy. We need to start winning games again. Hoping to win these next three before the break
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.
Jan. 25, 2023 at 8:52 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: perrystreett
Thought we played really well with no backy, osh, or Willy. We need to start winning games again. Hoping to win these next three before the break

might help us win if they are out tbh. i wnna see protas in the lineup. one thing i realized. we havent been the same since carlson got hurt. after this injury thats when we started dropping games. we need a number one guy
Jan. 25, 2023 at 10:40 a.m.
might help us win if they are out tbh. i wnna see protas in the lineup. one thing i realized. we havent been the same since carlson got hurt. after this injury thats when we started dropping games. we need a number one guy

We really are missing Carlson. You can tell in pretty much every part of the game, especially on the PP. Having Gus at point limits Ovi to his office. With Carlson, the team could swap Ovi and Carlson to a) throw another look at the PK and b) give the team an option of a one-timer at the point or in the office (whether it is Carlson or Ovi).

Without Carlson, Ovi is glued either to his office (where he is taken away by a player) or down near the net, where he only has a chance for a hard-earned rebound goal.

I thought last night the team played well last night.

Defensively - Top to bottom, the guys played fine-ish. Started out rough, specifically Orlov and Jensen. But to me, it looked like Lavy split them up (Orlov with Feh and Jensen with Irwin...I think...). Thought Irwin played his "best" game in recent memory, but I still think the Caps need an upgrade there.

Offensively - I thought the team played pretty solid actually - just couldn't buy one. Loved Sheary, Protas, and Eller's play. They were flying out there and really battling on the boards. We need more out of Kuzy. And although MoJo played fine (and has played fine in recent memory), we could use an upgrade over him.

Goaltending - Again, I thought Kuemper played okay. The 3rd goal HAS TO be stopped - it was a slick shot, but still, gotta be stopped. I personally would like to see more of Chuck. Nothing against Kuemper, who I think has played solid, but the team seems to play slightly different with Chuck in net.
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Jan. 25, 2023 at 11:01 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
We really are missing Carlson. You can tell in pretty much every part of the game, especially on the PP. Having Gus at point limits Ovi to his office. With Carlson, the team could swap Ovi and Carlson to a) throw another look at the PK and b) give the team an option of a one-timer at the point or in the office (whether it is Carlson or Ovi).

Without Carlson, Ovi is glued either to his office (where he is taken away by a player) or down near the net, where he only has a chance for a hard-earned rebound goal.

I thought last night the team played well last night.

Defensively - Top to bottom, the guys played fine-ish. Started out rough, specifically Orlov and Jensen. But to me, it looked like Lavy split them up (Orlov with Feh and Jensen with Irwin...I think...). Thought Irwin played his "best" game in recent memory, but I still think the Caps need an upgrade there.

Offensively - I thought the team played pretty solid actually - just couldn't buy one. Loved Sheary, Protas, and Eller's play. They were flying out there and really battling on the boards. We need more out of Kuzy. And although MoJo played fine (and has played fine in recent memory), we could use an upgrade over him.

Goaltending - Again, I thought Kuemper played okay. The 3rd goal HAS TO be stopped - it was a slick shot, but still, gotta be stopped. I personally would like to see more of Chuck. Nothing against Kuemper, who I think has played solid, but the team seems to play slightly different with Chuck in net.

That beautiful moustache must be seen more by the league
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2023 at 11:15 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
That beautiful moustache must be seen more by the league

who would you rather have. holtby neck bread or chuck moustache
Jan. 25, 2023 at 11:18 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
who would you rather have. holtby neck bread or chuck moustache

Chuck moustache 1 million times.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2023 at 11:21 a.m.
Tintin over 1122

neck bread won a vezina and was in a geico commercial. smh
Jan. 25, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
Always have 2018
Which defenseman are the best trade fits?

Thought of Gudas, Edmundson, and Roy/Walker.

Which forwards are the best trade fits?

Thought of Garland and False Kuzy
Jan. 25, 2023 at 4:52 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Which defenseman are the best trade fits?

Thought of Gudas, Edmundson, and Roy/Walker.

Which forwards are the best trade fits?

Thought of Garland and False Kuzy

kuzmenko and matt roy
perrystreett liked this.
Jan. 25, 2023 at 4:58 p.m.
Always have 2018
kuzmenko and matt roy

Would love that. Obviously need a physical defenseman (is that Roy?) and I desperately want to add a forward that we will actually play top 6 mins since we wont play Mantha that way.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Would love that. Obviously need a physical defenseman (is that Roy?) and I desperately want to add a forward that we will actually play top 6 mins since we wont play Mantha that way.

ill do research on roy. im pretty sure he has a physical edge to him. will look into him
Jan. 25, 2023 at 6:54 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
roys our guy
perrystreett liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
cautious optimism

Never mind Lindgren's mustache, what about those f*ckin' sideburns?

file-charlie-lindgren-mustache-zoom-aland-8849.jpg
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
Random thought:

Say Carlson is determined to be out until playoffs. Would the Caps consider using some of that spare salary cap to get paid for taking on a contract (assuming the contract expires at the end of the year)?

Acquire a cap dump player (ex would be Kerfoot from TOR) and get a draft pick along with it. Then just send such player down through waivers. If claimed, great. If not, who cares.

Thoughts?
Jan. 26, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
Random thought:

Say Carlson is determined to be out until playoffs. Would the Caps consider using some of that spare salary cap to get paid for taking on a contract (assuming the contract expires at the end of the year)?

Acquire a cap dump player (ex would be Kerfoot from TOR) and get a draft pick along with it. Then just send such player down through waivers. If claimed, great. If not, who cares.

Thoughts?

I would think if they don't use that space to add a player that could actually help then they would either take a cap dump or be a 3rd party retainer, that is what florida did last year when Ekblad went on LTIR
All_Knowing and capsfan2121 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll