SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2022-2023 Season Thread #1

Jan. 27, 2023 at 10:32 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
guys would it be a good idea to upgarde over mojo?
Jan. 27, 2023 at 10:34 p.m.
Always have 2018
Quoting: capsfan2121

I’d rather upgrade in the top 6 and play sheary in the bottom 6.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 10:35 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: perrystreett
I’d rather upgrade in the top 6 and play sheary in the bottom 6.

now kumenko isnt getting moved who should it be
Jan. 30, 2023 at 8:29 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Oshie has been deadweight
All_Knowing liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 9:53 a.m.
Edited Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.

Oshie has been deadweight

I think MoJo has played exceptional, but having him be number 2 in goals for the Caps really really shows just how bad the "stars" have been and how, not even depth scoring, but top 6 scoring has been bad. So I am agreeing that we need to upgrade top 6 scoring, and play Sheary in bottom 6 (as perrystreet stated). Really hurts that Connor Brown is out because I believe he would have filled that top 6 scoring nicely.

We need much more out of Kuzy, Oshie, Orlov, Mantha (obviously), and Hathaway (I know he is a 4th liner, but still).

I think this all-star break is coming at a perfect time. We are sliding (as we always do in January), and this downtime is very important as all the lingering injuries will hopefully be addressed and the team can reset (mentally and physically).

Really hoping they can pull off a W against CBJ...big game tomorrow.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:13 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
possible cheap contract RD trades that either reporters have floated around or may not have been fully discussed:

FnupEpFWAAI8gMq?format=png&name=small

FnupKfAWYAA9GlW?format=png&name=360x360

FnupMTCXwAEL_N2?format=png&name=360x360

FnurwzbXoAAa65l?format=jpg&name=small
All_Knowing and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
possible cheap contract RD trades that either reporters have floated around or may not have been fully discussed:

FnupEpFWAAI8gMq?format=png&name=small

FnupKfAWYAA9GlW?format=png&name=360x360

FnupMTCXwAEL_N2?format=png&name=360x360

FnurwzbXoAAa65l?format=jpg&name=small

Nick would be a gem
Jan. 30, 2023 at 11:05 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Couple Interesting Prospects I'd watch for the next few months:

Mitchell Gibson has a .919 sv% and some enticing film so far in his final year at Harvard. He projects as a high end, Lindgren-esque backup to me but his play has been turning into a believer. Hopefully he'll sign and continue to develop.

Bogdon Trineyev has had a decent season in the KHL as a 20 year old. 11 points in 30 games for Dynamo Moscow is nothing to scoff at, could be an interesting player going forward if Washington can lure him to Hershey. Another big player, could be developed similar to Protas in terms of tall forwards.

He's gotten a decent amount of love but I can't emphasize Alexander Suzdalev enough. Could be a steal in the 3rd round.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 11:08 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
What would the price be for vladdy daddy Tara and blankenburg
Jan. 30, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
cautious optimism
What would the price be for vladdy daddy Tara and blankenburg

Too much for you to feel comfortable giving up.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Bobcat205
Too much for you to feel comfortable giving up.

We are desperate.

Also if you race in a Williams car is it guaranteed your gonna lose.(I’m a new F1 fan)
Jan. 30, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
cautious optimism
We are desperate.

Also if you race in a Williams car is it guaranteed your gonna lose.(I’m a new F1 fan)

Anything can happen at any given Grand Prix, but Williams isn't exactly the best. They've been back-of-the-grid strugglers since... The early 2010s (with the exception of 2014-2015 when Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa went insane and got them back-to-back P3s in the WCC).
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:41 a.m.
Islanders getting Horvat really doesn't concern me. I still think they will miss the playoffs, despite this move. I am concerned about the growing rumors about Meier to the Devils.

I seriously think as of right now, Devils are not contenders. I know they are doing well in the standings, but I don't see them being built for the playoffs (I feel the same about the Kraken). Now if they get a guy like Meier, that does change slightly...
NoVaSpartan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:48 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: All_Knowing
Islanders getting Horvat really doesn't concern me. I still think they will miss the playoffs, despite this move. I am concerned about the growing rumors about Meier to the Devils.

I seriously think as of right now, Devils are not contenders. I know they are doing well in the standings, but I don't see them being built for the playoffs (I feel the same about the Kraken). Now if they get a guy like Meier, that does change slightly...

I definitely see where you're coming from on the Devils and Kraken. The Devils don't have much playoff experience on the roster and I don't know if I trust their goaltending to keep playing up to this level, but Meier is certainly a threat if he goes to NJ (Bratt probably is gone though, I'd think). Kraken to me just need some stable goaltending. I love Grubie, but he's cooked, and perhaps someone in the goalie market can help them out. (Varlamov maybe if NYI wants to move salary?)

Right now, I think Washington is built well for playoff time and the amount of depth + playoff experience makes me think they can surprise someone in the first round, they just need to get to the dance first. With BUF having the 3rd toughest schedule from here on out, FLA dealing with inconsistent goaltending, and NYI still seeming to be more of a two gun team on offense, I think WSH will just have to deal with PIT from behind to get into the playoffs. Hoping the All Star break can reset the team and give them a jump to try and get past NYR for 3rd in the division.
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:56 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Why is it when someone leaves this team they become successful
Jan. 31, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
I definitely see where you're coming from on the Devils and Kraken. The Devils don't have much playoff experience on the roster and I don't know if I trust their goaltending to keep playing up to this level, but Meier is certainly a threat if he goes to NJ (Bratt probably is gone though, I'd think). Kraken to me just need some stable goaltending. I love Grubie, but he's cooked, and perhaps someone in the goalie market can help them out. (Varlamov maybe if NYI wants to move salary?)

Right now, I think Washington is built well for playoff time and the amount of depth + playoff experience makes me think they can surprise someone in the first round, they just need to get to the dance first. With BUF having the 3rd toughest schedule from here on out, FLA dealing with inconsistent goaltending, and NYI still seeming to be more of a two gun team on offense, I think WSH will just have to deal with PIT from behind to get into the playoffs. Hoping the All Star break can reset the team and give them a jump to try and get past NYR for 3rd in the division.

I say this now - obviously things might change.

But I'd love to face the Devils in the first round. So certainly agree, hopefully the Caps can push NYR out of 3rd place.
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 10:56 a.m.
Why is it when someone leaves this team they become successful

I assume this is about Stephenson, who I'm happy got a deserved all-star nom. That being said, he showed very little with the Caps with a grand total of 33 points in 168 games (for context Dowd has 95 in 284 with WSH while playing very similar minutes). Washington also already had two elite centers to play in their top 6, and Vegas needed literally anyone to play with Stone and Pacioretty. It sucks to think about what could have been, but important to keep in mind 1) almost all of the "should of kept!!!!" guys were ones that no one had any problem moving at the time and 2) for every Stephenson that left and turned out great there are 10 Madison Boweys and Brett Connollys and Christian Djooses that the team correctly moved on from.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 10:57 a.m.
We should take advantage of the Blues. They have a few expiring contracts - one I am looking at is Ivan Barbashev

Could package Barbashev with Robert Bortuzzo?

Barbashev is an upgrade over MoJo (imo) and Bortuzzo provides defensive depth, physicality, and leadership (and is very cheap with a contract signed through next season)

Thoughts?
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.
We should take advantage of the Blues. They have a few expiring contracts - one I am looking at is Ivan Barbashev

Could package Barbashev with Robert Bortuzzo?

Barbashev is an upgrade over MoJo (imo) and Bortuzzo provides defensive depth, physicality, and leadership (and is very cheap with a contract signed through next season)

Thoughts?

Don't think with the way they're playing this year that Barbashev is an upgrade over MoJo, and at best is a slight one. They should not be making any moves for depth guys, they already have more than enough and they are more than pulling their weight. Biggest problems are that their top guys aren't producing either because of injuries (Carlson, Wilson, Backstrom), just straight up bad play (Kuzy), or both (Oshie). Only make a move for a truly elite talent that can move the needle like Meier or Chychrun. Anything else is fixing a problem that isn't actually a problem but a strength for the Caps
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:10 a.m.
Quoting: qc14
Don't think with the way they're playing this year that Barbashev is an upgrade over MoJo, and at best is a slight one. They should not be making any moves for depth guys, they already have more than enough and they are more than pulling their weight. Biggest problems are that their top guys aren't producing either because of injuries (Carlson, Wilson, Backstrom), just straight up bad play (Kuzy), or both (Oshie). Only make a move for a truly elite talent that can move the needle like Meier or Chychrun. Anything else is fixing a problem that isn't actually a problem but a strength for the Caps

Great point. You are right - definitely do not need depth. Pretty bad that MoJo is our second leading scorer lol

I could see a "depth" move on defense (like a Gudas - if you consider him depth)

But forward wise - great point. top 6 scorer or nothing
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
I assume this is about Stephenson, who I'm happy got a deserved all-star nom. That being said, he showed very little with the Caps with a grand total of 33 points in 168 games (for context Dowd has 95 in 284 with WSH while playing very similar minutes). Washington also already had two elite centers to play in their top 6, and Vegas needed literally anyone to play with Stone and Pacioretty. It sucks to think about what could have been, but important to keep in mind 1) almost all of the "should of kept!!!!" guys were ones that no one had any problem moving at the time and 2) for every Stephenson that left and turned out great there are 10 Madison Boweys and Brett Connollys and Christian Djooses that the team correctly moved on from.

Well now Copley which it’s just wins imo. Mediocre goaltending
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Great point. You are right - definitely do not need depth. Pretty bad that MoJo is our second leading scorer lol

I could see a "depth" move on defense (like a Gudas - if you consider him depth)

But forward wise - great point. top 6 scorer or nothing

Vlad Tara work?
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
Vlad Tara work?

For me, it all depends on the price honestly. He has a history of injuries and is having an "eh" year. If the price is reasonable, definitely would work. If the price is high (which I assume it will be due to the brand name), I would avoid. Would rather keep our prospects and picks.

I wouldn't be eager to resign him either due to injuries (unless it was a Mantha type salary - say 2x$5mil - which is also wishful thinking)

What would be the most you would give up for Vlad (that is reasonable for both sides)
Jan. 31, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Well now Copley which it’s just wins imo. Mediocre goaltending

Screenshot-2023-01-29-at-8.52.13-PM-1536x962.png

I'm happy for the guy to get a starting opportunity but his winning seems unsustainable.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
Vlad Tara work?

Not my first choice but don't hate it, would want to give the team a little more time to prove whether they deserve to be buyers
All_Knowing and capsfan2121 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll