SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Metro Division Projections - Updated

Who gets first place?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 16, 2022 at 10:48 a.m.
Banned
With rosters more solidified. All projections are based on teams staying relatively healthy.

1) CAR
2) PIT
3) NYR
4) NYI
5) WSH
6) NJD
7) CBJ
8) PHI

-I think people are sleeping on the Capitals, placing them closer to the bottom and shouldn't. I think they quietly made solid off-season moves and should battle for the WC spot.

-No, my prediction for NYR is not bias or ill-feelings. Their off-season just puts them back to almost the same exactly lineup as the start of last season. I except major regression to the norm for Kreider and the lateral move from Strome to Trochek will have a net-zero effect. The Rangers' PP and Shesty pushed them forward and were very not good 5v5. Nothing has been changed to help them 5v5, so banking on the PP being that lethal again is a tough one.

-I just can't sleep on the Islanders either. If their offense and health bounces back, they should be right in the hunt. Sorokin is outstanding and their defense is solid. If their offense shows up then it's a problem for the metro.

-NJD is almost there.

-CBJ. Their defense and goaltending is problematic, but their offense should be fun to watch. Could Elvis have a better year? To me he still has a lot to prove.

-Philly? Well Philly is Philly. Who the heck knows with them.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 5:30 a.m.
Banned
I will be shocked if Carolina doesn't win the Metro again.

Trocheck is most definitely an upgrade over Strome. Not a huge upgrade, but definitely not a wash either. I couldn't agree more that the Rangers 5 on 5 play leaves a lot to be desired, that's why I don't consider them to be cup contenders, but I still see enough game breaking talent on their roster to be able to lock in for another post-season birth, and maybe go on another deep run with the new found experience they have under their belt. Not sure I agree with Kreider falling back down to earth but okay.

I think the Islanders will bounce back to a degree, but I don't know if I see them being a lock for the playoffs. Yeah, Sorokin is really good, but there are a lot of ageing players in front of him.

I'm curious how you think people are sleeping on the capitals. Yeah, they put on a couple of band-aids in the forms of Dylan Strome and Connor Brown, but they're undeniably a weaker team than last year being without Backstrom and missing Wilson for an extended period of time.

I agree that the Devils aren't quite there yet, there are just too many other competitive teams in the Metro with a defensive and/or goaltending edge on them. If the Devils don't make it, I honestly wonder if Fitzgerald's job will still be safe

Agree that Columbus will be fun to watch, even though it likely won't translate to much results. Expecting to see lots of run and gun hockey

As for Philadelphia, I think their roster is a mess, might even say the same about the front office. I don't see how Torts is gonna be able to get many results out of it, and I can see a house cleaning in upper management being virtually imminent. Honestly, the organization as a whole needs to make some fundamental changes to itself if they ever want to be relevant in this league again, cause Torts just feels like a band-aid to me, a volatile one at that.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 9:15 a.m.
retired
it's between carolina and nyr imo. carolina is the favorite but shesterkin is the wild card. i expect the isles to bounce back after a coaching change.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 11:39 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Knuckl3s
I will be shocked if Carolina doesn't win the Metro again.

Trocheck is most definitely an upgrade over Strome. Not a huge upgrade, but definitely not a wash either. I couldn't agree more that the Rangers 5 on 5 play leaves a lot to be desired, that's why I don't consider them to be cup contenders, but I still see enough game breaking talent on their roster to be able to lock in for another post-season birth, and maybe go on another deep run with the new found experience they have under their belt. Not sure I agree with Kreider falling back down to earth but okay.

I think the Islanders will bounce back to a degree, but I don't know if I see them being a lock for the playoffs. Yeah, Sorokin is really good, but there are a lot of ageing players in front of him.

I'm curious how you think people are sleeping on the capitals. Yeah, they put on a couple of band-aids in the forms of Dylan Strome and Connor Brown, but they're undeniably a weaker team than last year being without Backstrom and missing Wilson for an extended period of time.

I agree that the Devils aren't quite there yet, there are just too many other competitive teams in the Metro with a defensive and/or goaltending edge on them. If the Devils don't make it, I honestly wonder if Fitzgerald's job will still be safe

Agree that Columbus will be fun to watch, even though it likely won't translate to much results. Expecting to see lots of run and gun hockey

As for Philadelphia, I think their roster is a mess, might even say the same about the front office. I don't see how Torts is gonna be able to get many results out of it, and I can see a house cleaning in upper management being virtually imminent. Honestly, the organization as a whole needs to make some fundamental changes to itself if they ever want to be relevant in this league again, cause Torts just feels like a band-aid to me, a volatile one at that.

I've had this Trochek/Strome debate with plenty and it's a wash if you really look at the numbers. The biggest difference between the two is their style. Trochek plays a more physical game and has better wheels, but their on-ice results are almost the same with a slight edge to Strome.

Screen-Shot-2022-09-17-at-11-36-46-AMdonne poems
Screen-Shot-2022-09-17-at-11-37-01-AMdonne poems

The other factor here is chemistry. Strome and Panarin have great chemistry together. Will Trocheck have the same? I can't expect much difference, so I really think we're seeing almost an identical Rangers lineup to start the season as we saw last year.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: DirtyDangle
it's between carolina and nyr imo. carolina is the favorite but shesterkin is the wild card. i expect the isles to bounce back after a coaching change.

I can see NYR, but I just think they have to prove it first. When you combine how lights out Kreider was and how likely he is to regress to the norm, how good that PP was and how good Shesty was, the only thing you can really guarantee is Shesty and that Krieder will pot around 30.

I know it's coming off like a homer, but if the Pens stay relatively healthy I think there's a chance they can take the division as well or finish #2. Health will be the key factor. That said, it's hard to think CAR doesn't take this division.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 12:12 p.m.
With the Rangers; they still haven't found the ceiling for Miller and Kakko and Lafreniere so rating them based on last year is only partially accurate. They improved a lot towards the end of the season and playoffs. I see a team on the upswing that also has veteran superstars leading the offense. It was Gallant's first year with them too. I just don't understand why Kreider can't be moved to RW instead forcing the kids to do it.

Penguins and Capitals have an established identity and system with veteran players. Caps have lots of chemistry questions and injury issues too.

The top 3 is definitely Canes, Penguins, and NYR. I think it's closer than most predict. Canes have a big ? at 2C; and Patches injury means their deep lines won't be there all season.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 12:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HockeyScotty
With the Rangers; they still haven't found the ceiling for Miller and Kakko and Lafreniere so rating them based on last year is only partially accurate. They improved a lot towards the end of the season and playoffs. I see a team on the upswing that also has veteran superstars leading the offense. It was Gallant's first year with them too. I just don't understand why Kreider can't be moved to RW instead forcing the kids to do it.

Penguins and Capitals have an established identity and system with veteran players. Caps have lots of chemistry questions and injury issues too.

The top 3 is definitely Canes, Penguins, and NYR. I think it's closer than most predict. Canes have a big ? at 2C; and Patches injury means their deep lines won't be there all season.

Your point about the Rangers is a bit off because they lost all the pieces they acquired at the deadline that made them so much better at the end of the season. I'm not questioning their defense or goaltending, but let's be honest about Kakko... he is what he is. Can he grow? Sure, but how much? I don't think too much. At this point you hope that he turns into a high-end 3rd line forward in terms of production, but right now he's Zach Aston-Reese.

Laff is the big x-factor up front for them, so that remains to be seen, but the Rangers are starting with almost the same exact lineup as they started with last year.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 8:27 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
Your point about the Rangers is a bit off because they lost all the pieces they acquired at the deadline that made them so much better at the end of the season. I'm not questioning their defense or goaltending, but let's be honest about Kakko... he is what he is. Can he grow? Sure, but how much? I don't think too much. At this point you hope that he turns into a high-end 3rd line forward in terms of production, but right now he's Zach Aston-Reese.

Laff is the big x-factor up front for them, so that remains to be seen, but the Rangers are starting with almost the same exact lineup as they started with last year.

Fair enough I did like what Copp did there as a versatile guy and he wasn't replaced.
Mr_Gardoki liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit