SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Older Teams Will Win

Sep. 17, 2022 at 2:01 p.m.
Banned
Everyone says old teams can't win because they haven't before. Why do I disagree? Well, times have change. Player conditioning, in all sports, is very different than it's every been. Players are playing at high levels well into their mid to late 30's.

Sid, Geno, Ovie, Marchand, Bergeron, etc...

Can these players carry teams the way they once did? Maybe not, but they're not far off and I believe if teams build around them the right way, they can absolutely still win a cup.

I firmly believe one or two of Boston, Pittsburgh and/or WSH will go ECF and possibly the SCF. You can NEVER discount players who've been there and know what it takes to win. If their clubs find the weaknesses and add the right players around them, these are teams that can compete with the best.

Yes, I know, people say all three of those teams haven't done squat in the last few years, but that doesn't mean they can't. This is a hard league to win in and EVERY TEAM, young or old, needs that perfect storm of events heading into the playoffs. If the tide moves in either of their directions then teams need to look out.

If Bergeron keeps going and Krejci has a positive impact, I have no reason to believe Boston can not only make the playoffs, but can win the division and make a deep run.

If the Pens stay healthy and don't lose their entire goaltending tandem to injury, they can absolutely win their division and go deep.

WSH addressed their goaltending, but out of the three teams I'm talking about probably have the hardest time being competitive IMO because of their defense, but if their additions do well, i.e. Strome, Brown, Kuemper and this team plays an effective team defense, then this team can absolutely roll through teams.

Don't count out the old guys. They're battle tested and know what it takes.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 5:50 p.m.
retired
i wouldnt be shocked if boston, pittsburgh, and washington all missed.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Sep. 17, 2022 at 5:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DirtyDangle
i wouldnt be shocked if boston, pittsburgh, and washington all missed.

Yeah I think at most 2 miss

My guess due to injuries to start Boston and maybe Washington if Kuemper becomes Grubauer 2.0

But realistically its probs just gonna be Boston
Sep. 22, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle

My guess due to injuries to start Boston and maybe Washington if Kuemper becomes Grubauer 2.0

WSH is the weaker link because they'll have both Backstrom and Wilson out the whole year, but they upgraded their goaltending and made some solid depth moves that I think will keep them in. That said, I think they'd be the one to miss out of the three.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 10:06 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle

Still early, but this isn't aging well lol
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:58 a.m.
Banned
Keep on truckin old teams!
Dec. 23, 2022 at 12:50 p.m.
WentWughes
I think it has a lot to do with experience. The Veterans know when they have to push hard and when to reserve. They also don't have to worry about making mistakes and being healthy scratched/Sent down. There's many things that favour the older players
Dec. 23, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I think it has a lot to do with experience. The Veterans know when they have to push hard and when to reserve. They also don't have to worry about making mistakes and being healthy scratched/Sent down. There's many things that favour the older players

When you can combine that experience and still have ability? I think you're ahead of other teams. It just now falls on the GM's to make sure to build around them the right way.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll