Forums/Armchair-GM

Ideas on a retool

Created by: CapFriendlysFinest
Team: 2022-23 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 21, 2022
Published: Sep. 21, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As a Leafs fan, I always look at the Jets as such a gifted team on paper but never able to get anywhere with the talent. I think the best thing for the this team would be to retool and move on from some of their older players who seem to cause alot more problems then solutions. It would mean 1-2 years of likely missing the playoffs but would lead to better performances int he future.

I think this leaves the team still competitive while also building the steps for the younger players to grow into. They aren't a playoff team like this but they will have enough draft picks to make a huge step forward in the future. On top of that, there are already some great prospects willing to take the next step.

I also think the C should go to Connor. He's a gem.
Trades
WPG
  1. Smith, Craig
  2. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Bruins get Wheeler for dominate top 6 for 2 years. Likely the last two years B's will be able to push for the playoffs.
BOS
  1. Wheeler, Blake ($4,125,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Picks and Smith come back. Smith will be a decent addition to the top 9 but won't add much offence
WPG
  1. Dvorak, Christian
  2. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
This one seems written in stone. PLD only wants to play for the Habs so just make it happen rather than walking him to UFA.
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
Additional Details:
Dvoark will fill the hole at 2C for now. Picks coming back
WPG
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2024 1st round pick (OTT)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Not only does it free up cap for the Sens, it strengthens there left side with a solid top 4 D
OTT
  1. Dillon, Brenden
Additional Details:
You get a 1st and an at best top 6 D back
WPG
  1. Dickinson, Jason
  2. 2023 4th round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
Cap space for Vancouver to resign Horvat
VAN
    Decent role player for depth
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$77,583,691$0$1,912,500$4,916,309
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $7,142,857$7,142,857
    LW
    UFA - 4
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $2,166,667$2,166,667
    RW
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $2,650,000$2,650,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $6,166,667$6,166,667
    G
    UFA - 2
    $5,950,000$5,950,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Ottawa Senators
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:08 p.m.
    Wheeler wouldn’t even be in the Bruins top six, let alone would his presence allow anything to be dominant. It’s not a fit at all, but if you want to try to push something through it would be more like: wheeler 50% retained for Charlie coyle and a 4th. The first is absolutely dreaming.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:11 p.m.
    alwaysnextyear
    VAN definitely accepts.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
    I can't really see the Jets making the PLD trade at this point and he has never said he only wants to play for Montreal.

At this point of the off season Winnipeg can't move Dubois without an equivalent center coming back. Plus you're only offering Dubois' price as a rental at next year's TDL. So, there is less than no incentive for Winnipeg to move Dubois for a meh offer now.

2 years of Dubois is worth far more that 3 years of Dvorak.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:18 p.m.
    I see what you are trying to do but I dont think BOS accepts this and they definitely dont give up a 1st. Jets should look at Smith though
    Im sorry but I hate all PLD to the habs trades. Get ready for the "we'll just sign him in 2 years" comments
    Dillon does get you a 1st either and having Zaitzev for two years at 4.5 sucks for the jets
    I like Dickerson, but he's a bit over priced for his role. rather have the cap space
    CapFriendlysFinest liked this.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:22 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers
    Wish that PLD trade would just happen already, that Florida pick will be decent and Dubois needs to be gone sooner then later.

Boston says no and Zaitsev blocks the trade to Winnipeg, Van takes that.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:32 p.m.
    GO KNIGHTS GO
    Quoting: masterjuddi
    I see what you are trying to do but I dont think BOS accepts this and they definitely dont give up a 1st. Jets should look at Smith though
    Im sorry but I hate all PLD to the habs trades. Get ready for the "we'll just sign him in 2 years" comments
    Dillon does get you a 1st either and having Zaitzev for two years at 4.5 sucks for the jets
    I like Dickerson, but he's a bit over priced for his role. rather have the cap space

They’ll just sign him in 2 years anyway
    masterjuddi liked this.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:39 p.m.
    Stop trying to trade us Wheeler. Not interested. Poor fit. Can’t take the 2nd year. Already over the cap can’t add to it.

Even if they had the cap space and desire, at 50% retained would not give more than 2nd anyway. In the current market would not even give that.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:53 p.m.
    Mr.
    It's written in stone that the habs won't trade a 1st for PLD
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 1:06 p.m.
    I doubt the Jets retool this season. From Monday....

The Athletic: You’ve got uncertainty on the horizon with a bunch of your star players — Mark Scheifele, Pierre-Luc Dubois and Blake Wheeler — all expiring in 2024. Does that impact your ambition for what your club needs to accomplish this season and next?

Cheveldayoff: So we’re solely focused on this season right now, I don’t know that you can focus on two years down the road on anything. Things change very quickly.

One of the things I do believe this group has, is that they’re a good hockey team. We underachieved last year.

There’s a tremendous sense that they’ve got something to prove, because to a man, there was disappointment that we didn’t achieve any of our goals last season.

At this point in time last year, the expectations were very high and justifiably so. This group is trying to justify that excitement from a year ago.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 1:50 p.m.
    I think the Dubois offer is more than fair. As a Habs fan I would have gladly even thrown an ok prospect in there also.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
    Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
    I doubt the Jets retool this season. From Monday....

The Athletic: You’ve got uncertainty on the horizon with a bunch of your star players — Mark Scheifele, Pierre-Luc Dubois and Blake Wheeler — all expiring in 2024. Does that impact your ambition for what your club needs to accomplish this season and next?

Cheveldayoff: So we’re solely focused on this season right now, I don’t know that you can focus on two years down the road on anything. Things change very quickly.

One of the things I do believe this group has, is that they’re a good hockey team. We underachieved last year.

There’s a tremendous sense that they’ve got something to prove, because to a man, there was disappointment that we didn’t achieve any of our goals last season.

At this point in time last year, the expectations were very high and justifiably so. This group is trying to justify that excitement from a year ago.

Totally agree that this year they do have a great chance of being significantly better. Expectations are lower, more growth for prospects and such. What I am suggesting is if the year doesn't start well, and just continues to trend down, I would suggest this action. Rather than waiting for most of the big guns to get older and on the last leg of their deals.
    Mr_Canoehead liked this.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
    Quoting: SMH
    It's written in stone that the habs won't trade a 1st for PLD

I don't think they would trade their first, but Florida's first I see them having no problem for
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
    Quoting: MisstheWhalers
    Wish that PLD trade would just happen already, that Florida pick will be decent and Dubois needs to be gone sooner then later.

Boston says no and Zaitsev blocks the trade to Winnipeg, Van takes that.

Seeming like all Boston fans don't like the deal which is fair. I feel the second year deal is the big kicker.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 2:14 p.m.
    Quoting: DefenseFirst
    Wheeler wouldn’t even be in the Bruins top six, let alone would his presence allow anything to be dominant. It’s not a fit at all, but if you want to try to push something through it would be more like: wheeler 50% retained for Charlie coyle and a 4th. The first is absolutely dreaming.

To say that someone who has been nearly a point per game player for the last 7 years, does not fit on your top 6 is hilarious. He absolutely would be on the top 6.

But there is a big difference if you WANT him on the top 6. If you think he wouldn't fit, then thats a different story.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
    Quoting: CapFriendlysFinest
    Totally agree that this year they do have a great chance of being significantly better. Expectations are lower, more growth for prospects and such. What I am suggesting is if the year doesn't start well, and just continues to trend down, I would suggest this action. Rather than waiting for most of the big guns to get older and on the last leg of their deals.

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think Chipman (a heavily involved owner) will let Cheveldayoff retool until the 2023 offseason. We saw last year that management refused to give up on playoff hopes despite the team's probability of a playoff spot ranging between 3-10% for the four weeks leading up to the trade deadline. The probabilities went up a little bit after the TDL, but then time decay (and more crappy play) took over.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
    Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
    I hear what you are saying, but I don't think Chipman (a heavily involved owner) will let Cheveldayoff retool until the 2023 offseason. We saw last year that management refused to give up on playoff hopes despite the team's probability of a playoff spot ranging between 3-10% for the four weeks leading up to the trade deadline. The probabilities went up a little bit after the TDL, but then time decay (and more crappy play) took over.

Totally understand man, is this the last year of Cheveldayoff's contract? If the team does slide I assume they would move on from him after all this years right? Or would he go through the process with him as GM?
    Mr_Canoehead liked this.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 2:33 p.m.
    To say that someone who has been nearly a point per game player for the last 7 years, does not fit on your top 6 is hilarious. He absolutely would be on the top 6.

But there is a big difference if you WANT him on the top 6. If you think he wouldn't fit, then thats a different story.

Well, it might be hilarious until you maybe take a look at the bruins roster?

It’s also a bit ridiculous to talk about the last seven years for a 36 year old that is showing huge signs of decline…and that’s even factoring the other stuff going on with him.

He had 40 even strength points last season. He’s a RW. Debrusk and Pastrnak are playing ahead of him. Maybe he can play the left wing? Cool, Marchand and Hall are playing ahead of him.

Hence, he doesn’t fit in the top six. I don’t see the hilarity in it I guess.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 2:33 p.m.
    Totally understand man, is this the last year of Cheveldayoff's contract? If the team does slide I assume they would move on from him after all this years right? Or would he go through the process with him as GM?

Here is the crazy part. He got a 3yr extension at the end of last season.🤯

This is a team that doesn't like to fire people. When they let go of the coaching staff, they just let their contracts expire and said they could "re-apply for their old jobs". Seriously.
    Sep. 21, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
    Mr.
    I don't think they would trade their first, but Florida's first I see them having no problem for

I see a major problem actually, it's called an unprotected 2023 1st owned by a rebuilding team
    Sep. 22, 2022 at 9:41 a.m.
    Quoting: TheFastAndTheFleuryous
    They’ll just sign him in 2 years anyway

haha, there it is

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll