Forums/Armchair-GM

Give the bargain bin players a real oppportunity to shine at the start

Created by: leafs101
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 22, 2022
Published: Sep. 22, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
May as well see if any of them pop off right?
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$82,477,283$212,500$0$22,717

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 22, 2022 at 5:35 p.m.
Owly
Maybe in the preseason but once the regular season starts there is no point in breaking up one of the best lines in the game. Plus Kampf with Engvall and Jarnkrock or ZAR will be so good defensively that you can really target other teams 3rd and 4th lines with JT's line and hopefully really dominate other teams with our top 6. I like the idea of Guadette with Aube-Kubel and whoever else is on the 4th line to really attack other teams 4th lines and forecheck hard. They may only get 8-10 minutes a night anyways so you can really develop an identity 4th line that helps you in ways our 4th line couldn't do last season.
Sep. 22, 2022 at 6:32 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
Maybe in the preseason but once the regular season starts there is no point in breaking up one of the best lines in the game. Plus Kampf with Engvall and Jarnkrock or ZAR will be so good defensively that you can really target other teams 3rd and 4th lines with JT's line and hopefully really dominate other teams with our top 6. I like the idea of Guadette with Aube-Kubel and whoever else is on the 4th line to really attack other teams 4th lines and forecheck hard. They may only get 8-10 minutes a night anyways so you can really develop an identity 4th line that helps you in ways our 4th line couldn't do last season.

Agree, lines (imo) will be:
1/ Bunting, Mathews, Marner (arguably best line in nhl)
2/ Robertson (Kerfoot when Engvall is healthy), JT, Willy (Robertson is only forward waiver exempt so he goes, unless he explodes)
3/ ZAR,Kampf, Jarnkrok (shutdown matchup line - ZAR is so good defensively, he has to play here)
3/ Kerfoot( Engvall when healthy), Gaudette, AKN - hopefully energy, tough to play against & occasional goal
Sep. 22, 2022 at 6:49 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: kster34
2/ Robertson (Kerfoot when Engvall is healthy), JT, Willy (Robertson is only forward waiver exempt so he goes, unless he explodes)
3/ ZAR,Kampf, Jarnkrok (shutdown matchup line - ZAR is so good defensively, he has to play here)
3/ Kerfoot( Engvall when healthy), Gaudette, AKN - hopefully energy, tough to play against & occasional goal

Engvall offers more than ZAR on the 3rd line. He is such a good puck mover and is also very good defensively.
Sep. 22, 2022 at 6:58 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
Engvall offers more than ZAR on the 3rd line. He is such a good puck mover and is also very good defensively.

Depends on Keefe’s thinking; I just think ZAR, Kampf, Jarnkrok would be really, really strong defensively albeit with limited offense. I like engvall’s speed and size playing with AKN (forecheck) & Gaudette - who seems like he has his mojo back (finally healthy).
Beauty is you could always flip one of the bottom 6 wingers with Kerfoot if needed (injury, slump, etc). Having such a dominant first line, an above average second line and lots of speed in bottom 6 provides Keefe with a lot of room to experiment. Plus Robertson in minors waiting. Looking good💪!
Sep. 22, 2022 at 8:01 p.m.

Stop it just stop.
Landy-mackinnon-rantanen
Stamkos-point-kucherov
If they play it drai-mcdavid-kane/hyman
Ffs even marchand-bergeron-pasta is better but they didnt play together much the 2nd half last year and now marchys injured
Sep. 22, 2022 at 9:38 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: UBS_ARENA
Stop it just stop.
Landy-mackinnon-rantanen
Stamkos-point-kucherov
Ffs even marchand-bergeron-pasta is better but they didnt play together much the 2nd half last year and now marchys injured

Yeah I don’t really value isles fans opinions on nhl best lines unless we’re talking about most boring lines, in which case you guys are experts.
Leafs line has Matthews - hart trophy winner, rocket Richard winner & Marner - led the league in scoring (2nd half), both are first team all stars. Bunting is a great addition as rookie but honestly I could play with those two.
That Av’s line is great, but it is a PP unit; they don’t play together regularly.
Bruins line is really good but they were separated and oiler & bolts lines are PP units too (McD & Drai don’t often play together). Flames has a really good line but 2 of the 3 bolted.
Everyone entitled to their opinion but Matthews, Marner, Bunting are - if not the best - one of the top 1-3 lines in the league; the best imo. Even an Isles fan should be able to acknowledge that
Sep. 23, 2022 at 12:33 a.m.
Marner rocks
Yeah I don’t really value isles fans opinions on nhl best lines unless we’re talking about most boring lines, in which case you guys are experts.
Leafs line has Matthews - hart trophy winner, rocket Richard winner & Marner - led the league in scoring (2nd half), both are first team all stars. Bunting is a great addition as rookie but honestly I could play with those two.
That Av’s line is great, but it is a PP unit; they don’t play together regularly.
Bruins line is really good but they were separated and oiler & bolts lines are PP units too (McD & Drai don’t often play together). Flames has a really good line but 2 of the 3 bolted.
Everyone entitled to their opinion but Matthews, Marner, Bunting are - if not the best - one of the top 1-3 lines in the league; the best imo. Even an Isles fan should be able to acknowledge that

Matthews and Marner are as good a one, two punch as any in the league and will only get better every year. Out of all the forwards mentioned on the best lines, bunting would be the worst player, so that is the only thing that makes the other lines closer. If Matthews and Marner play all 82 games, they will both be in the top 5 in league scoring without a true power forward at LW on their line.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 9:20 a.m.
Stop it just stop.
Landy-mackinnon-rantanen
Stamkos-point-kucherov

the only line you listed that actually plays together is the Avs line (and even at that not always). The Matthews line is certainly up there in terms of lines that actually play together consistently, it's not that outlandish of a statement
Sep. 24, 2022 at 12:00 a.m.

Its very telling that the 1st thing you mentioned was the isles. If you think that bc i am a fan of the islanders i cant evaluate hockey bc my team doesnt have a better line then im just wasting my time. Have a good day.
Edit: in order to avoid hypocrisy you should stfu about defense and goaltending
Sep. 24, 2022 at 12:06 a.m.
Quoting: leafs101
the only line you listed that actually plays together is the Avs line (and even at that not always). The Matthews line is certainly up there in terms of lines that actually play together consistently, it's not that outlandish of a statement

No i dont think its that outlandish. The reason i came on strong is bc i dont think theres any way they are objectively better than COLs line. But they are a top 3 line in the league.
I mentioned a couple of lines that i expect to play together this year. Like the BOS line i think will be paired up again now that they have krejci back at 2C.
The TBL line played a little together and were really good but werent really together. With palat gone now i expect them to play full time barring injuries.
The EDM line i highly doubt will play together
Sep. 24, 2022 at 7:19 a.m.
Kster
Its very telling that the 1st thing you mentioned was the isles. If you think that bc i am a fan of the islanders i cant evaluate hockey bc my team doesnt have a better line then im just wasting my time. Have a good day.
Edit: in order to avoid hypocrisy you should stfu about defense and goaltending

Hit a nerve?
And you should stfu about good forward lines; that’s why I reference You being an isles fan - you have none.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
No i dont think its that outlandish. The reason i came on strong is bc i dont think theres any way they are objectively better than COLs line. But they are a top 3 line in the league.
I mentioned a couple of lines that i expect to play together this year. Like the BOS line i think will be paired up again now that they have krejci back at 2C.
The TBL line played a little together and were really good but werent really together. With palat gone now i expect them to play full time barring injuries.
The EDM line i highly doubt will play together

They aren't better than the COL line but honestly as good at worst compared to the other mentioned lines (I don't think TBL will play stammer on Point's wing but could be wrong)
Sep. 25, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
Hit a nerve?
And you should stfu about good forward lines; that’s why I reference You being an isles fan - you have none.

Wow the isles made it to the ECF with no good forward lines and the leafs can’t get out of the 1st rd with the best forward line in the league. Sad
Sep. 25, 2022 at 4:18 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: Db1899
Wow the isles made it to the ECF with no good forward lines and the leafs can’t get out of the 1st rd with the best forward line in the league. Sad

Isles missed the playoffs last year
Sep. 25, 2022 at 6:16 p.m.
Isles missed the playoffs last year

Correct, they fired the biggest reason they missed the playoffs last season
Sep. 25, 2022 at 7:38 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: Db1899
Correct, they fired the biggest reason they missed the playoffs last season

So when they made it to the ECF with that same coach, what was that?
Statistically (and by eye test, imo anyway) isles have always been offensively average to below average but were structured and a tough team to play against. Not my preferred style but it worked, as you noted. New coach isn’t going to turn them into something they are not , maybe they can get back to winning but they are not a good offensive team
Sep. 25, 2022 at 8:08 p.m.
So when they made it to the ECF with that same coach, what was that?
Statistically (and by eye test, imo anyway) isles have always been offensively average to below average but were structured and a tough team to play against. Not my preferred style but it worked, as you noted. New coach isn’t going to turn them into something they are not , maybe they can get back to winning but they are not a good offensive team

They made it to the ECF in spite of Trotz.

Isles have always been a below average offensive team in terms of finishing talent. But they have always been solid at generating quality scoring chances. They were 7th in the league a few years ago.

I never said they were an above average offense team. The issue with Trotz is he buried all the isles going offensive players. I’d bet the new coach doesn’t do the same, and if that’s the case then they will likely be average to slightly above average offensively

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll