SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Chychrun Wants a Contender

What team is the best fit?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 23, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Banned
Chychrun has publicly stated he wants to go to a contender and AZ appears like they will try to do right by him. This definitely limits the playing field.

Teams like Colorado, Carolina, Rangers, Tampa, and Blues are all pretty set at that position. While I'm sure some would like to upgrade, the ability to either fit and/or offer the right competitive package causes issues. I know TOR fans would like him, but I think they'd have to make too many things happen to bring him in.

To me, teams like Florida, LAK and EDM make the most sense. Now, does he consider teams that are close to being contenders? DET, OTT, BUF? I guess that remains to be seen, but I'm going to take him literally at the moment.

The problem with Florida is they have no first round picks for a while, but they do have some interesting pieces to offer. I can't see how they can keep Knight at this point with the Bobrosvky contract, so if they were open to moving him it would be hard for many teams to compete with a piece like that.

LAK can IMO offer the best package. They have picks and a bevy a good prospects that they're in a position to move.

EDM has picks and some interesting pieces, but no real solid prospects to offer.

What say you?
HockeyScotty liked this.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 5:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Only team on this list I could see is LAK

Edmonton doesnt have the space and neither does Florida. Florida also doesnt have the assets to get it done

One team I could see do it is the Wild as they got the assets and cap space to do it.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 5:51 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
Only team on this list I could see is LAK

Edmonton doesnt have the space and neither does Florida. Florida also doesnt have the assets to get it done

One team I could see do it is the Wild as they got the assets and cap space to do it.

I did think about the Wild, too actually, but they seem like they'd have to move around too many things to make it happen.

Florida doesn't have any firsts, but they do have assets that could get it done. If they were open to moving Spencer Knight, that's as good of an asset as anyone can offer and they do have a few other very nice prospects. Spender Knight is in a weird position because of Bobrosvky. I doubt FLA will pay $10M for Bobs to be a back-up and nobody is taking that contract. FLA runs the risk of getting offer-sheeted for Knight, so moving him for a piece like Chychrun could be a wise move. Honestly, I don't know that FLA would have to add much more than Knight to get him.

EDM can make the space. AZ would have to take a salary back, but they don't have any good prospects to offer. It would really just be picks and maybe someone like JP plus some salary going the other way.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 5:59 p.m.
Agree on Knight. He will be hard for Florida to keep around. Demko signed his deal after 59 starts (5 x $5 million). Knight should reach 60 this year. And Knight and Demko have the same agent. (Personally, I’d like to Devils go after him).

If Florida puts their young goalie on table, it shouldn’t be hard to obtain Chychrun. If they do not, they have little chance as they have no picks or prospects to trade.

Los Angeles would also be a good bet.

My dark horse team would be Washington.
Mr_Gardoki liked this.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Agree on Knight. He will be hard for Florida to keep around. Demko signed his deal after 59 starts (5 x $5 million). Knight should reach 60 this year. And Knight and Demko have the same agent. (Personally, I’d like to Devils go after him).

If Florida puts their young goalie on table, it shouldn’t be hard to obtain Chychrun. If they do not, they have little chance as they have no picks or prospects to trade.

I'm sure WSH would want him, but I can't see what they could really offer. Their prospect pool isn't so hot.

FLA need to upgrade their defense and Chychrun is the perfect fit for them. I think using Knight would be wise for them. Sure, they could move Knight for a very nice package of futures, but they want to contend right now and Chychrun makes that happen. I definitely hope you guys don't go after Knight haha.

LA just seems like the perfect fit if they're interested.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 9:15 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
I'm sure WSH would want him, but I can't see what they could really offer. Their prospect pool isn't so hot.

FLA need to upgrade their defense and Chychrun is the perfect fit for them. I think using Knight would be wise for them. Sure, they could move Knight for a very nice package of futures, but they want to contend right now and Chychrun makes that happen. I definitely hope you guys don't go after Knight haha.

Washington has prospects though. Chesley, Miroshnichenko, Lapierre, Iorio, Alexeyev, Protas…fairly underrated crop, I think.

Florida has Samoskevich, Benning, and Puutio. Very thin.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 11:58 p.m.
I make typos
Oilers could do, 23 1st, 24 1st, Bourgault, Savoie, Lavoie, Barrie
Sep. 24, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.
Banned
Washington has prospects though. Chesley, Miroshnichenko, Lapierre, Iorio, Alexeyev, Protas…fairly underrated crop, I think.

Florida has Samoskevich, Benning, and Puutio. Very thin.

WSH's crop is so so, but nothing compared to what others can offer.

Florida has Knight though. That's the get. He may be enough. They're going to have to do something with him, so to me they should get their need by using Knight.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 9:44 a.m.

Knight would have to break out in a big way this season to get close to Demko’s contract. Most likely he gets a 3 year bridge in the 3-3.5 mill range. When that contract is up, Bobs will be as well so then he can get his long term deal
Sep. 24, 2022 at 9:45 a.m.

Florida needs solid goaltending a lot more than they need a top 4 LHD. Knight has top 5 potential, he’s not getting traded for a defenseman who’s always injured.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 9:45 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: oilersguy
Oilers could do, 23 1st, 24 1st, Bourgault, Savoie, Lavoie, Barrie

Not bad but Arizona will be looking for better prospects
Sep. 24, 2022 at 10:04 a.m.
Quoting: Db1899
Knight would have to break out in a big way this season to get close to Demko’s contract. Most likely he gets a 3 year bridge in the 3-3.5 mill range. When that contract is up, Bobs will be as well so then he can get his long term deal

I believe Knight would need 25 starts with .913 save percentage to equal Demko’s career numbers at the time he signed his 5-year x $5 million contract.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 10:13 a.m.
I believe Knight would need 25 starts with .913 save percentage to equal Demko’s career numbers at the time he signed his 5-year x $5 million contract.

Demko had a .915 sv% and was incredible in the playoffs which boosted his value. Oettinger had a .914 Sv% last season and had one of the best playoff performances of all time . He only got 4 mill x 3 and he plays in a state with no income tax just like Knight. I don’t expect knight to play better than Oettinger this season , so hell most likely come in at around 3.5 mill x 3, shorter term maybe 2.5 mill x 2.
Sep. 24, 2022 at 10:21 a.m.
Demko had a .915 sv% and was incredible in the playoffs which boosted his value. Oettinger had a .914 Sv% last season and had one of the best playoff performances of all time . He only got 4 mill x 3 and he plays in a state with no income tax just like Knight. I don’t expect knight to play better than Oettinger this season , so hell most likely come in at around 3.5 mill x 3, shorter term maybe 2.5 mill x 2.

The link to Demko was Knight shares an agent with Demko.

If Knight wanted to be a back-up for four more years, I agree that he may take the tiny bridge deal. He won’t want to be back-up though. And will likely ask for deal that brings him closest to UFA (so 4 or 5 years).
Sep. 24, 2022 at 10:36 a.m.
The link to Demko was Knight shares an agent with Demko.

If Knight wanted to be a back-up for four more years, I agree that he may take the tiny bridge deal. He won’t want to be back-up though. And will likely ask for deal that brings him closest to UFA (so 4 or 5 years).

It’s not a tiny bridge deal and He’s not going to be the backup. 3.5 mill x 3 is a fair deal for a very young starting goaltender in a place like FL with state no income tax. He most likely won’t have the leverage to get 5 mill x 4-5 year deal. He’ll be 22 YO with no arbitration rights. Demko was 25 when he signed his contract.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Banned
Florida needs solid goaltending a lot more than they need a top 4 LHD. Knight has top 5 potential, he’s not getting traded for a defenseman who’s always injured.

You do realize their situation with Bobrovsky, right?
Sep. 25, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
You do realize their situation with Bobrovsky, right?

Yes, he has a terrible contract. That won’t prevent Knight from taking over the starters role and getting a bridge contract.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 2:20 p.m.
Banned
Yes, he has a terrible contract. That won’t prevent Knight from taking over the starters role and getting a bridge contract.

They will get offer-sheeted if they bridge deal him.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.

yeah, just like oettinger lol
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
Banned
yeah, just like oettinger lol

Not the same situation.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
Not the same situation.

How?
Sep. 25, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
Banned
How?

Florida's cap situation.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 4:14 p.m.

Florida's cap situation.

16m projected cap space, no noticeable player to extend except Knight

@db1899 is right, same situation than DAL ; he'll not get an OS
Db1899 liked this.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 6:14 p.m.
Florida's cap situation.

Florida has a great cap situation for next offseason. Bobrovsky is their only bad contract , they have a ton of players with value who can be traded for significant assets.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 7:42 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: pinslack
16m projected cap space, no noticeable player to extend except Knight

db1899 is right, same situation than DAL ; he'll not get an OS

Ah, I missed that part. I was looking at this year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit