Forums/NHL

Chychrun Wants a Contender

What team is the best fit?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 25, 2022 at 8:16 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
EDM can make the space. AZ would have to take a salary back, but they don't have any good prospects to offer.

Quoting: IconicHawk
Not bad but Arizona will be looking for better prospects

Any of Bourgault, Broberg, or Holloway are the calibre of prospect the Coyotes would be interested in. @oilersguy offers far too much in his proposal. Why would the Oilers need multiple top assets *just* to do a salary swap in a Chychrun deal (assume Barrie)? The 2023 first, one of the aforementioned Oilers' A-prospects, a B-prospect, a second-round pick, and Barrie has to be damn close to get this done. If Chychrun is vocal about wanting out, the Coyotes lose leverage by the day. Any contending team making a move for Chychrun has to move a an amount of salary roughly equivalent to that of Chychrun's and the Coyotes still need to respect the existence of the salary floor. The near-$4M any club moves in a deal for Chychrun cannot be viewed as a wholly negative asset, it's an absolute requisite for both sides of the deal.

However you value either player, please recognize that Chychrun is not the next coming of Lidstrom nor Barrie the next Wade Redden. Expecting Edmonton - or any team for that matter - to pay more than what Vegas did for Eichel is ridiculous.

That said, the only teams in my eyes that make sense for Chychrun are indeed Edmonton, Los Angeles, or New Jersey. I don't believe Florida has the pieces anymore to acquire Jakob nor are they moving Knight. Clubs mentioned like Minnesota, Washington, or other long-standing contending teams missing pieces (Boston comes to mind) don't have the right combination of desperation, futures expendability, and prospect quality. The Capitals are only relevant to get Ovechkin past Gretzky's scoring record, the Wild are about to navigate a very tumultuous two-year window and appear content to give their prospects the keys to the roster, and Boston is biding its time before being dead in the water for the net half-decade. The Kings and Oilers are in a unique position regarding their windows and the weakness of the Pacific Division (chance to secure #1 in the division for the foreseeable future, Edmonton needs to win a Cup or two NOW) and I think the Devils find themselves needing to acquire one or two high-end players if they're serious about getting out of the basement of the Metropolitan on their own terms (otherwise they're stuck waiting for the Capitals and Penguins to finally flatline).

I think the Kings are the best fit, I'd vastly prefer the Devils to be the team to pull the trigger. I'd rather the Oilers burn picks - not prospects - on Sanheim.
Sep. 28, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
Oilers could do, 23 1st, 24 1st, Bourgault, Savoie, Lavoie, Barrie

they could, if they were to do so I'd rather it be a deadline move. Chychrun doesn't seem worth it to me right now. Too big of an asking price imo
Sep. 28, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: gary_gobbler
they could, if they were to do so I'd rather it be a deadline move. Chychrun doesn't seem worth it to me right now. Too big of an asking price imo

Personally, I don't think he's the TYPE of dman EDM needs. At least from an outsider's prospective, EDM needs one or two positionally sound steady dmen.
Sep. 28, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
Personally, I don't think he's the TYPE of dman EDM needs. At least from an outsider's prospective, EDM needs one or two positionally sound steady dmen.

I agree, I'd also hate to give up most of our top prospects.
Mr_Gardoki liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit