Forums/Armchair-GM

win now

Created by: BigShoots
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 23, 2022
Published: Sep. 23, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First trade Garland for Severson is the swap. Garland has term on his contract so has more value. Pick swap makes up that difference. A contact with Severson in place would negate the pick swap.

Myers is a good NHL dman, veteran presence for Arizona. He probably isn't even overpaid anymore as odd as that sounds. I think his value is no longer negative, Meanwhile Arizona ship money back in the deal and get the picks.

The Canucks do all of this to secure a good RD and to free cap to sign Horvat, Severson, Hoglander and maybe Kuzmenko depending on how he plays.
Trades
ARI
  1. Myers, Tyler
  2. Poolman, Tucker
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (VAN)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Severson, Damon
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Garland, Conor
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (VAN)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$79,255,833$1,250,000$2,000,000$3,244,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RW
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 1
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 23, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
Devils currently have too many wings as is. I'm not saying many or most are better than Garland, but they might as well go in with a deep RHD side and running with the forwards they have.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 6:56 p.m.
Banned
Not worth giving up that asset capital just to earn some short-term cap flexibility
majormoose007 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 6:56 p.m.
Big Shoots
Quoting: NJDevils1317
Devils currently have too many wings as is. I'm not saying many or most are better than Garland, but they might as well go in with a deep RHD side and running with the forwards they have.

Two things on that. One, do you think they will want to give Nemec a chance? Two, they certainly won't want to lose Severson for nothing in free agency.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 7:01 p.m.
Big Shoots
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Not worth giving up that asset capital just to earn some short-term cap flexibility

It's cap flexibility for next season which will see Horvat, Hoglander, Kuzmenko need new deals while Miller's deal will take effect. It's maybe a lateral step now for longer term gain.

RD are so hard to come by. Severson is one that fits our window, is a solid player and most importantly is potentially available.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 7:02 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BigShoots
It's cap flexibility for next season which will see Horvat, Hoglander, Kuzmenko need new deals while Miller's deal will take effect. It's maybe a lateral step now for longer term gain.

RD are so hard to come by. Severson is one that fits our window, is a solid player and most importantly is potentially available.

Myers can be moved in the off-season for actual assets
Sep. 23, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
Two things on that. One, do you think they will want to give Nemec a chance? Two, they certainly won't want to lose Severson for nothing in free agency.

No, very unlikely Nemec will get more than 9 games max. Walsh is likely ahead of him in the call-up order because his clock is ticking and he seems to be more ready. Otherwise they'd just had a LHD play their off-hand.

I'd be fine with losing Severson for nothing if it meant making playoffs and I wouldn't be surprised if Fitz felt the same way, the core's gotta get over the hump. Nothing against Garland, I just don't think he's the winger that the team should be looking at.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 7:08 p.m.
Big Shoots

I kinda doubt that. I think his value is probably around zero. Don't have to pay to get rid of him but also prob not getting anything for him. That also assumes he has as good a yr as he did last yr, and not the type of yrs he's had previously in Vancouver. Getting out from under Poolman would be huge too.

Two 3rds is what the cost would be in this proposal. Given that the Canucks are in win now, it's not a lot to give up to make those changes. I took expiring contracts back specifically so we wouldn't lose high end futures.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 7:28 p.m.

First thing, Nemec isn't going to be ready and shouldn't be rushed. Let him cut his teeth in NHL.

Second, if the Devils are out at the deadline, I'd rather get a 2023 1st and whatever else depending on the market and get pieces for the futures, not another now winger. Holtz will likely be given a shot in top 6, which already pushes Mercer down. This is all about clearly the way for the youth movement the Devils have coming, but will need pieces for when they are in their window to move at deadlines for steps forward.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 7:34 p.m.

If the devils wanna trade severson, that ain’t the trade they should make. Completely lob sided. Severson is currently a better player than garland, but Harland has term. Equal in value imo. But devils should t do a trade one for one bc they have forwards. They’d be paying garland above 4 mil to play in their bottom six instead of just having an elite defense for a year. No brained decline from the devils
Sep. 23, 2022 at 7:55 p.m.
Big Shoots
Quoting: Erkadurk347
If the devils wanna trade severson, that ain’t the trade they should make. Completely lob sided. Severson is currently a better player than garland, but Harland has term. Equal in value imo. But devils should t do a trade one for one bc they have forwards. They’d be paying garland above 4 mil to play in their bottom six instead of just having an elite defense for a year. No brained decline from the devils

You could argue that Severson's on ice impact will be more than Garland's this yr but it's close, that's born out is most of the stats too. The difference in trade value is that Garland is signed for extra yrs on a team friendly deal. So I certainly don't think the value of the trade is lopsided. New NHL I think most good teams have three scoring lines. If you wanna say Garland is on your 3rd line so be it, he could also be on your first line.

Having an elite d for a yr could be good but losing Severson for nothing would be bad asset management for the Devils given where they're at in their rebuild. That said you might be able to get a late 1st if you covet that over Garland.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 8:10 p.m.
You could argue that Severson's on ice impact will be more than Garland's this yr but it's close, that's born out is most of the stats too. The difference in trade value is that Garland is signed for extra yrs on a team friendly deal. So I certainly don't think the value of the trade is lopsided. New NHL I think most good teams have three scoring lines. If you wanna say Garland is on your 3rd line so be it, he could also be on your first line.

Having an elite d for a yr could be good but losing Severson for nothing would be bad asset management for the Devils given where they're at in their rebuild. That said you might be able to get a late 1st if you covet that over Garland.

Devils say no. If a garland severson trade happens, the devils will want more from Vancouver than a one for one. Literally zero point. Holtz and Zetterlund can be centered by haula. That’s a scoring line with an elite defense for way cheaper if ya ask me
Sep. 23, 2022 at 8:42 p.m.
Big Shoots
Devils say no. If a garland severson trade happens, the devils will want more from Vancouver than a one for one. Literally zero point. Holtz and Zetterlund can be centered by haula. That’s a scoring line with an elite defense for way cheaper if ya ask me

What would you be looking to get for Severson if you aren't making the playoffs? Just a pick?
Sep. 23, 2022 at 8:44 p.m.
What would you be looking to get for Severson if you aren't making the playoffs? Just a pick?

Probably. Rather have the chance of picking a late round steal or packaging a first for a star player. Garland is not a good use of cap space for the devils. Especially bc of their upcoming forward depth
Sep. 23, 2022 at 9:00 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

You're the only one who thinks that (shocker)

Maybe is the Canucks retain half of his salary

No team is paying to take on a 6M defensemen when there are better players in free agency
Sep. 23, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.

I think the difference in value between Severson and Garland is entirely needs-driven. If you need a RD, it’s Severson. Need a winger, it’s Garland.

Canucks need RD, Devils need winger. That’s why this swap makes sense. I don’t love it, but think it’s completely logical hockey trade (assuming Sevs re-ups in Vancouver).
Sep. 23, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
Probably. Rather have the chance of picking a late round steal or packaging a first for a star player. Garland is not a good use of cap space for the devils. Especially bc of their upcoming forward depth

I’d rather have Garland than a late 1st. Picks are probably easier to acquire at deadline though, since buying teams are rarely giving away valuable wingers.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 10:53 p.m.
Big Shoots
Quoting: Devil
You're the only one who thinks that (shocker)

Maybe is the Canucks retain half of his salary

No team is paying to take on a 6M defensemen when there are better players in free agency

I don't think the return will be anything but I think it's sensible to think it won't cost much (if anything) to move him should we choose to in his last yr. He had a good yr last yr and is a decent enough player. He would need to have another good yr granted. The biggest thing is he plays the holy grail position of RD. And there really aren't many better options for the price tag at RD. Those that are clearly better Dumba. Severson then you are into the might be better category which includes names like Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Jensen, Zub. Not a lot there. And they likely don't all make it to free agency. I could see a team with cap space taking a flyer on him for late round pick or b prospect. Of course the Canucks would only do it if they had a way of replacing him.
Devil liked this.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 10:55 p.m.
Banned
I kinda doubt that. I think his value is probably around zero. Don't have to pay to get rid of him but also prob not getting anything for him. That also assumes he has as good a yr as he did last yr, and not the type of yrs he's had previously in Vancouver. Getting out from under Poolman would be huge too.

Two 3rds is what the cost would be in this proposal. Given that the Canucks are in win now, it's not a lot to give up to make those changes. I took expiring contracts back specifically so we wouldn't lose high end futures.

If Myers has to be moved just for FC's, that's no skin off of managements nose. I don't see them giving up assets to move Poolman, especially when he hasn't gotten the chance to show a meaning enough sample size to prove his worth
Sep. 23, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
Big Shoots
If Myers has to be moved just for FC's, that's no skin off of managements nose. I don't see them giving up assets to move Poolman, especially when he hasn't gotten the chance to show a meaning enough sample size to prove his worth

Poolman was signed by a different GM, was clearly terrible by all accounts and all metrics, he then backed that up with poor play in the 40 game sample size we had of him in Vancouver. There is optimism and then there is delusion. His and Dickinson's contracts are gonna be problematic. At least with Dickinson he has been decent in this league, I am open to the idea he could be better.
Tintin liked this.
Sep. 23, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
Banned
Poolman was signed by a different GM, was clearly terrible by all accounts and all metrics, he then backed that up with poor play in the 40 game sample size we had of him in Vancouver. There is optimism and then there is delusion. His and Dickinson's contracts are gonna be problematic. At least with Dickinson he has been decent in this league, I am open to the idea he could be better.

Uh, we don't know if Poolman is good or not, I just said there isn't a big enough sample size. Dickinson will probably bounce back to some degree. Might not be worth the full 2.65M he costs against the cap, but I'm confident he will be better
Sep. 23, 2022 at 11:18 p.m.
Banned
I'm saying you're delusional if you are holding out hope he is good. He was bad with the Jets by all accounts and by the data, he then played 40 games for us and was awful. There is really nothing to suggest he will be good, neither eye test nor advanced metrics. I think Dickinson will be better too. He can't be much worse.

He wasn't great for the Jet's, but he was playing on a back end that was weaker than what the Canucks currently have. Get your eyes checked and watch your language
Sep. 23, 2022 at 11:32 p.m.
Big Shoots
He wasn't great for the Jet's, but he was playing on a back end that was weaker than what the Canucks currently have. Get your eyes checked and watch your language

I spoke to quite a few Jets fans at the time, they all felt he was nothing more than a bottom pairing guy. The advanced metrics showed the same thing. Seeing him in the flesh and tracking his numbers backed all that up. That is why I say to be optimistic about him is just homer delusion.

I read your posts quite a bit and you are incredibly snarky to people, yet so extremely sensitive.
Tintin and Wildnochance liked this.
Sep. 25, 2022 at 8:27 a.m.
do not Devil my ass

Another Devils fan here, hiya.

Like others have stated, I wouldn't want Nemec to play in the NHL this year.
I think he should have at least one year of development in the AHL first, throwing him to the wolves right away would be doing him and the team a disservice both short-term and long-term.
Sliding his ELC for one year would be immensely valuable to the Devils when they are in the middle of their cup window 3-4 years from now.
Besides, Walsh looks ready for a full time gig in the NHL and should step into the 3RD vacancy should Severson be moved.

I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if Severson was kept as a self-rental if the Devils are competitive and make the playoffs, but I'm of the mind that using him in a hockey trade for a cost controlled winger would be preferable to keeping him.
Currently my preferred targets are Garland and Puljujärvi.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:31 a.m.
Banned
I spoke to quite a few Jets fans at the time, they all felt he was nothing more than a bottom pairing guy. The advanced metrics showed the same thing. Seeing him in the flesh and tracking his numbers backed all that up. That is why I say to be optimistic about him is just homer delusion.

I read your posts quite a bit and you are incredibly snarky to people, yet so extremely sensitive.

I could say the same about you. I'm only "snarky" when I try to correct people on their dumb takes, otherwise I don't say anything, I just leave a like

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll