This is Actually a Realistic Approach

Created by: Kiekenapp
Team: 2017-18 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2017
Published: May 25, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
EXPLANATION-
This would be the worst case scenario, where Bieksa does NOT WAIVE his NMC, and Murray does NOT want to BUYOUT.

Obviously if it comes down to this then we need to control our Cap and pull back Good Talent.

EXPANSION DRAFT PROTECTION LIST-
Forwards-
Getzlaf
Perry
Kesler
Rakell
Silfverberg
Palat
Bozak

Defenseman-
Lindholm
Bieksa NMC
Fowler

Goalie-
Gibson
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,000,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$3,600,000
Trades
ANA
    Rights to Palat
    TOR
    1. Manson, Josh
    2. Stoner, Clayton
    3. 2017 2nd round pick (SJS)
    Additional Details:
    Josh Manson Top4/Top6 D
    Clayton Stoner - Cap Dump
    Pick- for Cap Dump of Stoner
    ANA
      Expansion Draft Selection
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$75,000,000$68,787,583$0$850,000$6,212,417
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 5
      $8,250,000$8,250,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $8,625,000$8,625,000
      RW
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $3,600,000$3,600,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $6,875,000$6,875,000
      C, RW
      NMC
      UFA - 5
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $4,200,000$4,200,000
      C, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $2,463,139$2,463,139
      RW, LW
      UFA - 5
      $825,000$825,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $670,000$670,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,750,000$1,750,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $2,602,778$2,602,778
      LD
      UFA - 5
      $894,166$894,166
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $2,300,000$2,300,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $825,000$825,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $825,000$825,000
      G
      UFA
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $3,700,000$3,700,000
      RD
      UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 25, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.
      Unfortunately, this approach doesn't leave the Ducks with any defensemen that are "exposure eligible". They have to expose a defenseman under contract for 2017-18 that played at least 40 games in 2016-17 or 70 games the last two seasons. As of now, if Bieksa does not waive the NMC and must be protected, it leaves the Ducks having to expose one of Fowler, Manson, Lindholm or Vatanen. If you're protecting Fowler and Lindholm and trading Vatanen and Manson, that doesn't work. Best case scenario is the Ducks get a waiver for Stoner since he played 64 games the last two seasons but "should" be healthy in time for next season, but in this approach you are trading him too.
      May 25, 2017 at 3:37 p.m.
      I actually don't know if this is serious or not. I'm a Leafs fan and that is insanely one-sided for Toronto.
      May 25, 2017 at 3:44 p.m.
      NateElder12
      That TOR trade needs a ton of work IMO - not even clsoe to Manson's value even with the cap dump.

Quoting: ashtonstine
      Unfortunately, this approach doesn't leave the Ducks with any defensemen that are "exposure eligible". They have to expose a defenseman under contract for 2017-18 that played at least 40 games in 2016-17 or 70 games the last two seasons. As of now, if Bieksa does not waive the NMC and must be protected, it leaves the Ducks having to expose one of Fowler, Manson, Lindholm or Vatanen. If you're protecting Fowler and Lindholm and trading Vatanen and Manson, that doesn't work. Best case scenario is the Ducks get a waiver for Stoner since he played 64 games the last two seasons but "should" be healthy in time for next season, but in this approach you are trading him too.

Believe you are correct which is why the Ducks need Beiksa to waive his clause.
      May 25, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
      I'm a leafs fan but dam that trade is terrible for the ducks
      May 25, 2017 at 4:01 p.m.
      Lenny7
      Here's why this probably isn't as realistic as you may think.

Anaheim is going to lose a good player in the expansion draft. It's inevitable. The biggest thing for the Ducks is to make sure it's as painless as possible, and try to make a move for player(s) that they don't need to protect. It's not that I don't think the value coming back in the Bozak-Manson trade is wildly different from what it should be, because for a lot of teams it's might be on par with a reasonable ask. It's just that center isn't an area of need for this team. You ended up putting one of the best faceoff guy's in the league on the 4th line, and created a hole on the back end that wasn't there before, all the while assuming that Larsson (Who's got 4 AHL and 4 NHL games under his belt), Theodore and Montour step in and take significant roles.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Bozak isn't a good hockey player. He is. He's a very good center. But his value as the 3rd line center for the Toronto Maple Leafs is much larger than it is to the Ducks. If the Ducks lose Vermette to expansion, maybe then they circle back and check in on Bozak. Even then though, I doubt they move Manson for him, when they could hit up just about every other team in the league and get someone younger, better and with more control. I think one more season of Stoner's contract is probably the least of the Ducks worries, and probably doesn't require you to give up a RH top 4 shut down guy.

I also think the likelihood of Bieksa not waiving is basically non-existent, given that he's stated that he would already. You either waive and get to remain on a contending team and live in So-Cal, or you don't and you get bought out, and end up hoping that someone wants a 36 year old dman on the decline. That's not a game I'd imagine he really wants to play, but, who knows I guess...
      NateElder12 liked this.
      May 25, 2017 at 4:11 p.m.
      NateElder12
      Quoting: Lenny7

Anaheim is going to lose a good player in the expansion draft. It's inevitable. The biggest thing for the Ducks is to make sure it's as painless as possible, and try to make a move for player(s) that they don't need to protect. It's not that I don't think the value coming back in the Bozak-Manson trade is wildly different from what it should be, because for a lot of teams it's might be on par with a reasonable ask. It's just that center isn't an area of need for this team. You ended up putting one of the best faceoff guy's in the league on the 4th line, and created a hole on the back end that wasn't there before, all the while assuming that Larsson (Who's got 4 AHL and 4 NHL games under his belt), Theodore and Montour step in and take significant roles.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Bozak isn't a good hockey player. He is. He's a very good center. But his value as the 3rd line center for the Toronto Maple Leafs is much larger than it is to the Ducks. If the Ducks lose Vermette to expansion, maybe then they circle back and check in on Bozak. Even then though, I doubt they move Manson for him, when they could hit up just about every other team in the league and get someone younger, better and with more control. I think one more season of Stoner's contract is probably the least of the Ducks worries, and probably doesn't require you to give up a RH top 4 shut down guy.

I also think the likelihood of Bieksa not waiving is basically non-existent, given that he's stated that he would already. You either waive and get to remain on a contending team and live in So-Cal, or you don't and you get bought out, and end up hoping that someone wants a 36 year old dman on the decline. That's not a game I'd imagine he really wants to play, but, who knows I guess...

Additionally, the Despres contract is way higher on their list of concerns...
      May 25, 2017 at 4:14 p.m.
      Kiekenapp
      Quoting: NateElder12
      Quoting: Lenny7

Correct, I left him off the LTIR to see what would happen if he came back. Word is he was skating with the team during the playoff practices.
      May 25, 2017 at 4:29 p.m.
      Lenny7
      Quoting: NateElder12

True enough. The good news is that they don't have to worry about protecting him which essentially makes him future Bob Murray's problem re: his cap hit, as opposed to current Bob, who needs to figure out a way to keep Silfverberg, and not rip apart his group of dmen.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll