Forums/Armchair-GM

Flames 2-LDs for 2-RWs

Created by: KingofRnR
Team: 2022-23 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 26, 2022
Published: Sep. 26, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Make A Bigger Top-6 RW Move (if need be) at the Trade Deadline when more Cap Space is Available
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$762,500
1$750,000
Trades
CGY
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (DAL)
CGY
  1. Zetterlund, Fabian
  2. 2024 7th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Assuming Zetterlund doesn't make NJD's 23-Man Roster and NJ wants to avoid losing him for nothing to Waivers
NJD
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (DAL)
  2. 2024 4th round pick (CGY)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$71,300,000$0$200,000$11,200,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,900,000$5,900,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$912,500$912,500
LD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 26, 2022 at 11:00 p.m.
If the Devils put Zetts on waivers over McLeod, Bastian, or AJ, Fitz is straight dumb.
Tintin liked this.
Sep. 26, 2022 at 11:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Seems kinda strange that Zetterlund wouldn't be good to make the Devils, but could make probably a top three team in the West Conference.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 26, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Trevor Moore is a local boy and fan favorite who is emerging as a top-6 forward. Kylington hasn't shown that he's anything more than a third-pairing defenseman.

If Zetterlund isn't good enough to make the roster of a draft lottery team, why is he worth a second-round draft pick (even a future one)?
Sep. 26, 2022 at 11:26 p.m.
What in tarnation
Stars have a logjam in LHDs, acquiring Välimäki makes no sense.

Even if we wanted him we'd just take him off waivers.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 1:42 a.m.
I like Moore bit Kylington is worth more than that (no pun intended)
KingofRnR liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 4:22 a.m.
me wan da poonani
Quoting: palhal
Seems kinda strange that Zetterlund wouldn't be good to make the Devils, but could make probably a top three team in the West Conference.

It's plausible though if you look into it.
I think it'd be unlikely if Zetterlund weren't a clear upgrade over guys like Lucic, Rooney and Lewis.
Not as clear that he'd be an upgrade over Bastian, McLeod, Tatar and Johnsson.
I believe it's fair to say that the Devils may be a little deeper than the Flames at the extreme end of things.

As the other Devils fan said, I wouldn't think of waiving Zetterlund ahead of McLeod, Bastian and Johnsson.
Zetterlund looked very promising in his outings last season.
KingofRnR liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 5:01 a.m.
Given that Valimaki hasn't shown well enough at the NHL level, you'd be lucky to get a 3rd in return for him- more likely a 4th given the cap hit.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: justaBoss
Stars have a logjam in LHDs, acquiring Välimäki makes no sense.

Even if we wanted him we'd just take him off waivers.

Quoting: SupremeBone
Given that Valimaki hasn't shown well enough at the NHL level, you'd be lucky to get a 3rd in return for him- more likely a 4th given the cap hit.

I see a logjam at RD with the acquisition of Lundkvist, but not at LD. Harley has work to do yet before taking on full-time NHL Duties

Valimaki would be a Good Fit in DAL and the Stars don't seem to mind paying up for Young Defense Prospects
Sep. 27, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: NJDevils1317
If the Devils put Zetts on waivers over McLeod, Bastian, or AJ, Fitz is straight dumb.

Good Point lol. I was focused on whether Zetterlund would beat Mercer, Bratt and Holtz for a Top-9 Position. McLeod is NJD's Top Penalty Killing Forward and I didn't see NJD wanting to break up the Mcleod & Bastian 4th line chemistry
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Sep. 27, 2022 at 6:44 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

Right! CGY can put guys like Mangiapane & Coleman at RW, but another Big Young Skilled Right Shot Swede would be a nice addition for the Flames. Zetterlund is a guy I've been targetting for a awhile and I’m just hoping there's a way to acquire him given the skilled depth they have on RW
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:06 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Trevor Moore is a local boy and fan favorite who is emerging as a top-6 forward. Kylington hasn't shown that he's anything more than a third-pairing defenseman.

If Zetterlund isn't good enough to make the roster of a draft lottery team, why is he worth a second-round draft pick (even a future one)?

So do you think Trevor Moore wouldn't be made available? Kylington established himself as a 2nd Pairing LD last season with upside yet, so not sure where the 3rd Pairing comment is coming from

Kings appear to be very weak at LD with Alex Edler nearing the end of his career. Bringing in Kylington now to have Edler mentor and prepare him to be their Top-4 LD made a lot of sense to me. Kylington would be a Great fit with all their other Top D-Prospects who are all primarily Swede's as well
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I like Moore bit Kylington is worth more than that (no pun intended)

Yeah, I didn't know what Moore's value might be exaclt, but he'd make a great RW on the Coleman-Backlund line imo and we could use that more than Kylington
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: Tintin
It's plausible though if you look into it.
I think it'd be unlikely if Zetterlund weren't a clear upgrade over guys like Lucic, Rooney and Lewis.
Not as clear that he'd be an upgrade over Bastian, McLeod, Tatar and Johnsson.
I believe it's fair to say that the Devils may be a little deeper than the Flames at the extreme end of things.

As the other Devils fan said, I wouldn't think of waiving Zetterlund ahead of McLeod, Bastian and Johnsson.
Zetterlund looked very promising in his outings last season.

We need replacements for the future and Zetterlund is one of my top targets. Flames should trade for or claim Mcleod or Bastian too if the opportunity presents itself. NJD has a great pool of talented prospects, but they can't play and/or use them all
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
Yeah, I didn't know what Moore's value might be exaclt, but he'd make a great RW on the Coleman-Backlund line imo and we could use that more than Kylington

I mean sure but Dube or Milano can play that role just fine too. I see no reason to move Kylington unless we want cap space or an actual relevant upgrade to the top 6 (Mantha caliber or better)
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
TrevorA
I mean sure but Dube or Milano can play that role just fine too. I see no reason to move Kylington unless we want cap space or an actual relevant upgrade to the top 6 (Mantha caliber or better)

Flames are already projected to have over $6mil in Cap Space at the Deadline, I think these moves would improve us in the meantime and would make the Cap Space go up even more

I'm not convinced or sold on Rooney or Milano at all yet and Dube is best at LW or C. Dube has good chemistry with Lucic, so I put him at Centre, but I want more scoring from the 4th line and Ruzicka is cheaper and better than both Milano & Rooney imo. Normally I'd have one of Rooney or Lewis in the lineup, but with the acquisition of Moore, we wouldn't need either, otherwise I'd go:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Lindholm-Ruzicka (hoping Ruzicka can be the Play Maker Lindholm & Mangiapane need)
Coleman-Backlund-Lewis = Shut Down Line
Lucic-Dube-Klapka/Phillips/Milano (can be moved up to 2RW and swapped with Ruzicka if they play well) = Energy Line
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
Flames are already projected to have over $6mil in Cap Space at the Deadline, I think these moves would improve us in the meantime and would make the Cap Space go up even more

I'm not convinced or sold on Rooney or Milano at all yet and Dube is best at LW or C. Dube has good chemistry with Lucic, so I put him at Centre, but I want more scoring from the 4th line and Ruzicka is cheaper and better than both Milano & Rooney imo. Normally I'd have one of Rooney or Lewis in the lineup, but with the acquisition of Moore, we wouldn't need either, otherwise I'd go:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Lindholm-Ruzicka (hoping Ruzicka can be the Play Maker Lindholm & Mangiapane need)
Coleman-Backlund-Lewis = Shut Down Line
Lucic-Dube-Klapka/Phillips/Milano (can be moved up to 2RW and swapped with Ruzicka if they play well) = Energy Line

That's not accurate. They have 3 players on PTO's and currently have a 22 man roster. If and when Milano gets his ~1M contract Calgary will have far less TDL cap space unless Valimaki or someone else is moved.

Completely ignoring the Zetterlund deal because he's actually just not remotely impactful enough for the top 6 Moore would be a decent add but not particularity relevant with the loss of Kylington too.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Sep. 27, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
That's not accurate. They have 3 players on PTO's and currently have a 22 man roster. If and when Milano gets his ~1M contract Calgary will have far less TDL cap space unless Valimaki or someone else is moved.

Completely ignoring the Zetterlund deal because he's actually just not remotely impactful enough for the top 6 Moore would be a decent add but not particularity relevant with the loss of Kylington too.

In my proposal, Milano doesn't get signed and both Eakin & Stone (should they chose to sign 2-way contract) would likely clear waivers and start in the AHL. I've proposed a 23 man roster with $2mil in Cap Space after moving Valimaki & Kylington to Bolster the Middle-6 Forward corps till the Deadline

We don't know what Zetterlund can do in the NHL, but he's shown to be impressive in the AHL and in the little he's played, the NHL as well. He's a Good Sized, High Energy, Good Forechecking, Right Shot Swede who can play C or RW. He'd be an ideal player to acquire using assets we receive in return for Valimaki and I can see him being a long-time Flame; might be another future Backlund or if we're lucky Lindholm
Sep. 27, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
In my proposal, Milano doesn't get signed and both Eakin & Stone should they chose to sign, would likely clear waivers and start in the AHL. I've proposed a 23 man roster with $2mil in Cap Space after moving Valimaki & Kylington to Bolster the Middle-6 Forward corps till the Deadline.

We don't know what Zetterlund can do in the NHL, but he's shown to be impressive in the AHL and in the little he's played, the NHL as well. He's a Good Sized, High Energy, Good Forechecking, Right Shot Swede who can play C or RW. He'd be an ideal player to acquire using assets we receive in return for Valimaki and I can see him being a long-time Flame, maybe our new Backlund or if we're lucky Lindholm

I'm not talking about your proposal specifically, you were arguing the cap space at the TDL. Reality is Milano is free and a similar caliber player to Moore so he will probably be signed for dirt cheap.

Zetterlund is an inferior prospect to Pelletier and Phillips. Neither of them is likely to make the Flames roster let alone be an impactful top 6 players right now. Also he is 5'11 and doesn't play center
Sep. 27, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
TrevorA
I'm not talking about your proposal specifically, you were arguing the cap space at the TDL. Reality is Milano is free and a similar caliber player to Moore so he will probably be signed for dirt cheap.

Zetterlund is an inferior prospect to Pelletier and Phillips. Neither of them is likely to make the Flames roster let alone be an impactful top 6 players right now. Also he is 5'11 and doesn't play center

Trevor Moore is a complete two-way player who is very good at Killing Penalties, Milano is an inconsistent/unimpressive/one-dimensional player

Pelletier's not ready, Phillips won't be given an opportunity due to his size and I see Zetterlund stepping in, being a better fit and more effective than Milano, Pelletier or Phillips who CAN play Centre if need be. Probably my grass is greener on the other side view, but I'd be right
Sep. 27, 2022 at 3:21 p.m.
Trevor Moore is a complete two-way player who is very good at Killing Penalties, Milano is an inconsistent/unimpressive/one-dimensional player

Pelletier's not ready, Phillips won't be given an opportunity due to his size and I see Zetterlund stepping in, being a better fit and more effective than Milano, Pelletier or Phillips who CAN play Centre if need be. Probably my grass is greener on the other side view, but I'd be right

Your take on Milano is completely baseless, he is actually perfectly fine defensively and playing PK is irrelevant since Calgary has 7+ PKing forwards already. Even more baffling is that you think Zetterlund is a better fit than all 3 of those players. Milano is far more of a fit than him and Pelletier is just as much of a center as him
Sep. 27, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
What in tarnation
I see a logjam at RD with the acquisition of Lundkvist, but not at LD. Harley has work to do yet before taking on full-time NHL Duties

Valimaki would be a Good Fit in DAL and the Stars don't seem to mind paying up for Young Defense Prospects

Harley is already better and more NHL ready than Välimäki is. And we have Heiskanen, Lindell and Suter as well. We have more LHDs than RHDs. DAL uses Miro on the right side specifically because we want to have a place for Harley in the lineup.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 5:08 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
So do you think Trevor Moore wouldn't be made available? Kylington established himself as a 2nd Pairing LD last season with upside yet, so not sure where the 3rd Pairing comment is coming from

Kings appear to be very weak at LD with Alex Edler nearing the end of his career. Bringing in Kylington now to have Edler mentor and prepare him to be their Top-4 LD made a lot of sense to me. Kylington would be a Great fit with all their other Top D-Prospects who are all primarily Swede's as well

No, Moore won't be available because he's our #2LW.

LD is certainly a soft spot but Kylington doesn't appear to be enough of an upgrade on Bjornfot and Moverare to sacrifice our local boy for him.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 5:49 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Sep. 28, 2022 at 12:38 a.m.
Your take on Milano is completely baseless, he is actually perfectly fine defensively and playing PK is irrelevant since Calgary has 7+ PKing forwards already. Even more baffling is that you think Zetterlund is a better fit than all 3 of those players. Milano is far more of a fit than him and Pelletier is just as much of a center as him

With only 5 Points in his last 26 Games, Milano just isn't good enough to be a Top-6 Player for us and he's not Big or Physical enough to be a Bottom-6 either, same goes for Pelletier who isn't impressing enough in camp or Phillips who again, won't be given a chance in CGY under Sutter. Zetterlund & Moore would be much better options if they are made available

Heck, Daniel Sprong would have been better than Milano
Sep. 27, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: justaBoss
Harley is already better and more NHL ready than Välimäki is. And we have Heiskanen, Lindell and Suter as well. We have more LHDs than RHDs. DAL uses Miro on the right side specifically because we want to have a place for Harley in the lineup.

That's Hilarious. I don't agree and the statistics don't support your statement at all, but you're entitled to your opinion. Now that DAL acquired Lundkvist, it's certain to me Harley will be out of the lineup
Sep. 27, 2022 at 6:01 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: OldNYIfan
No, Moore won't be available because he's our #2LW.

LD is certainly a soft spot but Kylington doesn't appear to be enough of an upgrade on Bjornfot and Moverare to sacrifice our local boy for him.

This is also a very comical statement. You can try to compare Bjornfoot or Moverare to Juuso Valimaki if you want too, but neither is as good as Valimaki and certainly nowhere near as good as Oliver Kylington has proven to be. Kylington had more Goals and almost just as many points as all of your LD's combined last season

I wouldn't Trade Moore either, but I always wonder and have to ask, why no extension if he's so valuable to the Team

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll