Forums/Armchair-GM

Kings wrap up their rebuild but wont in reality

Created by: Enrique
Team: 2022-23 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 27, 2022
Published: Sep. 27, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What are these players worth? Kings gotta make room for the new players.
Trades
LAK
  1. Johnson, Ryan [Reserve List]
  2. Portillo, Erik [Reserve List]
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (VGK)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Quick, Jonathan ($2,900,000 retained)
  2. Roy, Matt
FLA
  1. Doughty, Drew ($1,000,000 retained)
LAK
  1. 2023 5th round pick (VAN)
LAK
  1. McMichael, Connor
  2. 2023 1st round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. Kopitar, Anze ($5,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Backstrom replacement?
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Termination Fees
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$71,484,167$637,500$3,495,000$11,015,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,875,000$7,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
C
RFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,675,000$1,675,000
C
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$10,000,000$10,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$262,500$262K)
LD
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RD
RFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 27, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
The Sabres trade is not a bad idea, particularly if they can't sign Johnson and Portillo, but the Sabres already filled the needs that Quick and Roy would have filled. I also don't see them giving up a second in the deal.
Enrique and RavensShadow liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
Kings finish their rebuild, become competitive and you have them retain 8.9M in cap space, take on nearly $15M cap hit for goalies, Lose their top line center, lose two of their best defensemen in Roy and Doughty, and greatly depreciate their center depth and force Byfield into playing bigger minutes before he is ready. Big No's here.

Brown, Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick were asked at the begining to the rebuild if they wanted to play elsewhere during a rebuild. All declined, all are committed to winning again with the Kings. Each of these 4 players have played their enitre career for the Kings and are likely to get their number retired. No way Blake would do such an unpopular move as Quick played our starting goaltender in every playoff game, Kopitar played top-line center and led the Kings in points for most of the last decade (including last season), and Doughty was on-track for his best season in a decade before going down with his injury. This is not only veteran presence and established leaders, these are still the Kings best players until their replacements take their job from them you can't entertain moving them. And even then there isn't much time left on the contracts other than Doughty.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:03 p.m.
This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:04 p.m.
I get you're just asking a question, but these trades border on trolling levels of terrible. Almost worthy of a report.

1) That Florida trade is horrendous. No, the Kings are not going to give up their franchise, Hall-of-Fame-bound 1RD for the albatross contract of a constantly terrible goaltender. Like... what?

2) Same reasoning as the Doughty trade, but at least it's a pick and a prospect. However, there is zero chance Kopitar is traded. Let's not talk about the massive amount of retention and the mediocre return.

3) The Kings won't trade Sean Walker until he's proven he can be back on the ice. And even if they did, he's STILL worth more than a 5th. That's a terrible trade as well.

4) The only trade that relatively favors LA is the Coyotes trade, but what interest do they have in Edler, a 37 year old, slowing defenseman.

Quoting: Greysuits
The Sabres trade is not a bad idea, particularly if they can't sign Johnson and Portillo, but the Sabres already filled the needs that Quick and Roy would have filled. I also don't see them giving up a second in the deal.

5) I'm sure Sabres fans love that trade. It's terrible from the Kings point of view. Roy is worth a 1st ++ and the Kings aren't trading their starting goaltender. Peterson hasn't grabbed the reigns, and even if he had, the Kings have no capable NHL backup. Awful.
Artman91 and RavensShadow liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:14 p.m.
Iglesias
Quoting: PuckLuck_77
I get you're just asking a question, but these trades border on trolling levels of terrible. Almost worthy of a report.

1) That Florida trade is horrendous. No, the Kings are not going to give up their franchise, Hall-of-Fame-bound 1RD for the albatross contract of a constantly terrible goaltender. Like... what?

2) Same reasoning as the Doughty trade, but at least it's a pick and a prospect. However, there is zero chance Kopitar is traded. Let's not talk about the massive amount of retention and the mediocre return.

3) The Kings won't trade Sean Walker until he's proven he can be back on the ice. And even if they did, he's STILL worth more than a 5th. That's a terrible trade as well.

4) The only trade that relatively favors LA is the Coyotes trade, but what interest do they have in Edler, a 37 year old, slowing defenseman.

5) I'm sure Sabres fans love that trade. It's terrible from the Kings point of view. Roy is worth a 1st ++ and the Kings aren't trading their starting goaltender. Peterson hasn't grabbed the reigns, and even if he had, the Kings have no capable NHL backup. Awful.

The trades were more about opening up roster spots for young players than the actual returns.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:15 p.m.
Iglesias
Quoting: Artman91
This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.

I dig it!
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
Iglesias
Quoting: tryger
Kings finish their rebuild, become competitive and you have them retain 8.9M in cap space, take on nearly $15M cap hit for goalies, Lose their top line center, lose two of their best defensemen in Roy and Doughty, and greatly depreciate their center depth and force Byfield into playing bigger minutes before he is ready. Big No's here.

Brown, Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick were asked at the begining to the rebuild if they wanted to play elsewhere during a rebuild. All declined, all are committed to winning again with the Kings. Each of these 4 players have played their enitre career for the Kings and are likely to get their number retired. No way Blake would do such an unpopular move as Quick played our starting goaltender in every playoff game, Kopitar played top-line center and led the Kings in points for most of the last decade (including last season), and Doughty was on-track for his best season in a decade before going down with his injury. This is not only veteran presence and established leaders, these are still the Kings best players until their replacements take their job from them you can't entertain moving them. And even then there isn't much time left on the contracts other than Doughty.

The Kopitar Doughty and Quick era is over. Let go of your attachments and make space for some new blood!
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:22 p.m.
Edited Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:28 p.m.
Quoting: Enrique
The Kopitar Doughty and Quick era is over. Let go of your attachments and make space for some new blood!

Cal Petersen looked trash last season, do you think he should have started in the playoffs.

Kopitar centered the first 30 goal scorer drafted and developed by the Kings in years, this year he'll have 2.

Doughty was our best defenseman until his injury.

Have the young guys take it from them and I'm game to talk about it. But forcing them into roles before they are ready and you are just asking for another Vilardi situation.
Enrique liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:26 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Caps and Kings both decline that trade. Caps don't have nearly enough cap space to make a Kopitar move work when Wilson returns, and would likely rather keep their future 1-2C and a 1st instead of dealing for Backstrom again. Kings shouldn't be dealing Kopitar if the expectation for centers would be Danault-Byfield-Helenius-Lizotte, Kopi would be a great mentor for Byfield especially and can be a bridge to Byfield while keeping the Kings competitive, and still giving them 6 mil in cap space to work with. Kopi would likely block that trade anyway as I can't see Washington being on his 7 team trade list due to an acute lack of Capitals players from the Czech-Slovakian-Austrian-Slovenian area and being a much different market from LA.

As for the other trades, I don't see why Buffalo would spring for Quick in that top-heavy Atlantic, I doubt they would think he would put them over the top. Walker could gain back significantly more than a 5th, teams would be willing to pay likely at least a 2nd for a cheap, productive middle pairing RD. And while I can see the idea in exploring a Doughty trade later down the line, I can't understand why the Kings would do it at this point, as it leaves them with 3 very inexperienced RD, and an overall underprepared D core such as the one you have created faces major risks of prospects busting due to being fed too many minutes, too quickly.
Enrique and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
Shibbal18
Kopitar was worth that 8 years ago. Might get that 1st but McMichael isnt going to be available for him, let alone both. Sabres probably do that, i would
Enrique liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
I dig it!

You dig it? The only thing your digging is a hole. This team wouldn’t even make the playoffs. We would we pay Bobrovsky 10M. That’s ridiculous. And Kopitar and Doughty are still good. You’re just a fool. This is the most troll post I’ve ever seen. You’re probably not even a real Kings fan. Kopitar and Doughty have NMC so they can’t even be traded to be realistic. And even if they’re able too, the Kings wouldn’t wanna trade them. That’s like Washington trading Ovechkin or Pittsburgh trading Crosby. Sure they’re still better players than Kopitar and Doughty but my point is these are franchise players you don’t move. The Kings are also not in a “rebuild” as you stated but what you just didn’t in this trade is make them a rebuild team. Moore-Danault-Arvidsson are all solid players but they get outmatched almost against every team. Kempe-Kopitar-Fiala on the other hand will match up very well against most team. And the Danault line will be one of the best 2nd lines. You’re funny man 😂.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Kopitar was worth that 8 years ago. Might get that 1st but McMichael isnt going to be available for him, let alone both. Sabres probably do that, i would

Kopitar way worth waaaay more than that 8 years ago.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Iglesias
That’s like Washington trading Ovechkin or Pittsburgh trading Crosby. Sure they’re still better players than Kopitar and Doughty

They are better players you said it yourself. Kopi and Doughty shouldnt be untouchable anymore.
Kings made it far last year without Doughty and looked better when he wasnt in the lineup. Kopitar was getting burned a ton and was a minus on the year. Time to let go of 2012-2014.
This roster wouldnt make the playoffs but its a natural step to building a contender not just a team that hangs around missing the playoffs/getting bounced early for a decade.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
Wingsfan92
is this buying or selling?
Sep. 27, 2022 at 1:46 p.m.
Caps better not.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.

Kopitar is still the single best player on the Kings and one of the best centers in the NHL. If the Kings were ever to consider trading him, I'm expecting Jack Eichel level returns for him. Four 1st round picks or no deal.

Doughty is likewise on top of his game. Before he was injured last season, he was on track for the single-best season in his career. He's not going anywhere.

The Kings could entertain trading Quick, but considering that Petersen is coming off a down season and left the game with an injury last night, I can't imagine they're remotely interested in trading him right now. Not sure why they'd do a terrible trade like the one you propose? Bobrovsky is significantly more expensive, tied up for much longer until he's much older, and isn't any better than Quick is now. Why would the Kings want to downgrade their goaltending while locking up $10M in cap space for the next 4 years? My guess is that the Kings will extend Quick after this season to a less lucrative contract.

The team you list here is significantly worse than the team the Kings would ice if they didn't make any moves. Aside from Chychrun and the 1st round pick coming back in the Kopitar trade, they're not getting any quality pieces back in the trade. You're essentially giving away the Kings best players for nothing, not even future draft capital.

I give this ACGM an F- grade. I wouldn't do a single one of the moves you list here.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:01 p.m.
Iglesias
Quoting: C_LGRW71
is this buying or selling?

Just opening up roster spots for young players that can use the experience and will be part of the future core.
Sep. 27, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
Shibbal18
Kopitar way worth waaaay more than that 8 years ago.

Not waaaay more but Id agree WSH probably adds something else. McMichael is just as untouchable imo
Sep. 27, 2022 at 8:50 p.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Not waaaay more but Id agree WSH probably adds something else. McMichael is just as untouchable imo

Yes he’s way better. Gretzky even said around that time he’s the 3rd best player in the NHL. You can’t disagree with Gretzky.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll