SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Dallas Stars

Stars fans HELP

Sep. 28, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
d4rk1ll4
Hey ! I'm doing my preparation for some hockey pools. I'm a habs fan, but I want to know the other teams better. I have some questions :

1. Where will Dallas finish in the ranking?

2. What will most likely be the PP?

3. Who is likely to have a breakout year or who will surprise in terms of point production? Who is advantaged by the line combinations?

4. Who is likely to have a bad year in point production?

5. How many games each goalie is likely to play?
Sep. 28, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
True Reverse Retro
All of this partially depends on how much time (if any) Robertson misses to start the season. If he's in the lineup on game 1:

1. Fourth in the Central (probably a WC team), behind Colorado, St. Louis, and Minnesota

2. Most likely PP unit:

Pavelski
Robertson-Seguin-Hintz
Heiskanen

3. Gurianov is the pretty obvious answer for a breakout player. He'll be playing in a less-restrictive offensive scheme & will likely play the bulk of the season with linemates that compliment his aggressive, offensive play-style. Disadvantaged? Ryan Suter. He had a lackluster year last season he spent a good chunk of time with Heiskanen. With the addition of Lundkvist and Harley full-time, I could see him getting pushed down to the 3rd pair pretty quickly.

4. Bad year in terms of point production? I'm going with Jacob Peterson. He's got the skill to be a good player, but with the addition of Marchment paired with the possible addition(s) of guys like Johnston, Bourque, or Stankoven, I think he could find himself seeing very limited minutes in the bottom-6. If he can find a way to carve out a top-6 role, I think he could do quite well, but he'd have to jump over a few different guys to get there.

5. I've got the goalie splits at 60 starts for Oettinger & 22 starts for Wedgewood
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 28, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
Edited Sep. 28, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
Diehard Stars fan here. See below.

1. Where will Dallas finish in the ranking? I think they're getting a bump from a coaching change and think Marchment adds some spice to the Top 6. My prediction is still 3rd/4th in the Central, fighting for a WC with St Louis (half step back), Minnesota (half step back) and Nashville (half step up). I think they'll be a better team than last year and much more fun to watch, but that division is still a massive log jam in the middle.

2. What will most likely be the PP? Robertson, Hintz, Pavelski/Seguin, Marchment, Heiskanen

3. Who is likely to have a breakout year or who will surprise in terms of point production? Who is advantaged by the line combinations? Marchment and Gurianov. They are likely even to be line mates, either on the top line with Hintz or second line with Seguin. They compliment each other really well, Marchment as a physical puck hound with the speed to play against top lines and strong forecheck; and Gurianov as a finisher to operate in open space but needs to play with someone that will stand up physically and create that space for him.

4. Who is likely to have a bad year in point production? Benn. DeBoer's system is going to be tough for him to adjust to, and there's a situation where he ends up playing on the 4th line. Still think he can have an impact on the roster and be a good captain, but there's not the upside for him that Seguin has to gain from a new system. I also think Peterson will have a tough time is he's stuck on the 3rd line and potentially gets pushed out by Stankoven/Bourque/Johnston.

5. How many games each goalie is likely to play? 55ish for Oettinger, 25ish for Wedgewood.
Sep. 28, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
True Reverse Retro
Quoting: dougbrady214

1. Where will Dallas finish in the ranking? I think they're getting a bump from a coaching change and think Marchment adds some spice to the Top 6. My prediction is still 3rd/4th in the Central, fighting for a WC with St Louis, Minnesota and Nashville. I think they'll be a better team than last year and much more fun to watch, but that division is still a massive log jam in the middle.

2. What will most likely be the PP? Robertson, Hintz, Pavelski/Seguin, Marchment, Heiskanen

3. Who is likely to have a breakout year or who will surprise in terms of point production? Who is advantaged by the line combinations? Marchment and Gurianov. They are likely even to be line mates, either on the top line with Hintz or second line with Seguin. They compliment each other really well, Marchment as a physical puck hound with the speed to play against top lines and strong forecheck; and Gurianov as a finisher to operate in open space but needs to play with someone that will stand up physically and create that space for him.

4. Who is likely to have a bad year in point production? Benn. DeBoer's system is going to be tough for him to adjust to, and there's a situation where he ends up playing on the 4th line. Still think he can have an impact on the roster and be a good captain, but there's not the upside for him that Seguin has to gain from a new system. I also think Peterson will have a tough time is he's stuck on the 3rd line.

5. How many games each goalie is likely to play? 55ish for Oettinger, 25ish for Wedgewood.

Don't see Marchment having much impact on the PP. He was very scarcely used on it when he was in Florida. I don't see him going from nearly 0 PP time to being on the top unit right off the bat. He might see some sporadic usage on the 2nd unit, but someone like Seguin will slot on to the top unit.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 28, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
Xercuses
Quoting: dougbrady214

1. Where will Dallas finish in the ranking? I think they're getting a bump from a coaching change and think Marchment adds some spice to the Top 6. My prediction is still 3rd/4th in the Central, fighting for a WC with St Louis (half step back), Minnesota (half step back) and Nashville (half step up). I think they'll be a better team than last year and much more fun to watch, but that division is still a massive log jam in the middle.

4. Who is likely to have a bad year in point production? Benn. DeBoer's system is going to be tough for him to adjust to, and there's a situation where he ends up playing on the 4th line. Still think he can have an impact on the roster and be a good captain, but there's not the upside for him that Seguin has to gain from a new system. I also think Peterson will have a tough time is he's stuck on the 3rd line and potentially gets pushed out by Stankoven/Bourque/Johnston.

I dont see NSH MIN and DAL fighting for 2 with STL
COL 1 STL 2 MIN,DAL,NSH 3-5
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 28, 2022 at 4:52 p.m.
Quoting: xercuses
I dont see NSH MIN and DAL fighting for 2 with STL
COL 1 STL 2 MIN,DAL,NSH 3-5

St Louis losing Husso is a big deal. Binnington was pretty great in the playoffs, but was flat out awful all year prior to that. Perron also leaving is a large hole in their forward group. I don't think they put up 109 points again.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll