Logo of the Washington Capitals
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 28, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
This team is pretty weak.
Sep. 28, 2022 at 9:58 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Wild dont need a depth center they need a top 2 center. Might not if Rossi is as good as advertised.
Sep. 29, 2022 at 9:44 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Would love to see Eller dealt and Snively play instead. Wouldn't mind moving Johansson also and sliding Protas to 3RW, Mantha to 3LW, and Sheary to 4LW. Would rather see Alexeyev stay up over Nardella, however.
Sep. 29, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Would love to see Eller dealt and Snively play instead. Wouldn't mind moving Johansson also and sliding Protas to 3RW, Mantha to 3LW, and Sheary to 4LW. Would rather see Alexeyev stay up over Nardella, however.

Alexeyev is out until mid November (sorry if you know this). But I assume he will play most in the AHL this year
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Sep. 30, 2022 at 7:56 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: All_Knowing
Alexeyev is out until mid November (sorry if you know this). But I assume he will play most in the AHL this year

Should have clarified that I meant once he returned from injury, thats on me. Just don't want to lose him to waivers.
All_Knowing liked this.
Sep. 30, 2022 at 8:49 a.m.
I am sure I am in the minority here, but I do not think the Caps should trade Eller anytime in the near future. I don't think McMichael is a 3c right now, especially on a contending team. He certainly didn't have the production last year to warrant 3c (I know he was a rookie so that is okay), but this team is trying to contend, and contending teams need very solid, confident, and established players down the middle. I just think Caps fans are overhyping McMichael, thinking he needs to be in the 3c spot only because he is young. But contending teams don't necessarily worry about "developing their youth".

Side note, reports say Eller has hit highs in every speed, strength and conditioning tests. Apparently, he looks really good. So why are we trading him when we don't need to and when McMichael hasn't come close to proving himself...? I am actually higher on Protas than McMichael right now...

Thoughts:
@NoVaSpartan
@qc14
@clockreads2113
Sep. 30, 2022 at 9:02 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
I am sure I am in the minority here, but I do not think the Caps should trade Eller anytime in the near future. I don't think McMichael is a 3c right now, especially on a contending team. He certainly didn't have the production last year to warrant 3c (I know he was a rookie so that is okay), but this team is trying to contend, and contending teams need very solid, confident, and established players down the middle. I just think Caps fans are overhyping McMichael, thinking he needs to be in the 3c spot only because he is young. But contending teams don't necessarily worry about "developing their youth".

Side note, reports say Eller has hit highs in every speed, strength and conditioning tests. Apparently, he looks really good. So why are we trading him when we don't need to and when McMichael hasn't come close to proving himself...? I am actually higher on Protas than McMichael right now...

Thoughts:
NoVaSpartan
qc14
clockreads2113

I wouldn't say I quite agree that he doesn't have the production to warrant 3C, I felt he looked decent in very limited minutes last year, especially when he briefly took 3C from Eller, but I think Lavi limiting his minutes didn't allow him to fully show his talent. I do have questions about his defensive ability (especially defensive awareness, more often than not I saw him watching 2 on 1 plays down low instead of covering for a defenseman).

I do agree that he shouldn't go to the 3C at this point though, I'd have him on the 2nd line as he should get far more development and opportunities with Mantha and Strome rather than Eller/MoJo and Oshie, at least until Wilson returns, when the Caps can reevaluate. Right now, I would still want the Caps to at least consider trading Eller, as I think Protas and Snively have impressed me enough to warrant getting a starting spot, and I can't see either of them making the roster with Eller/MoJo still around. I can agree with what you said about contending teams not necessarily worrying about developing the youth (which much of twitter fails to grasp), but in this case, I think Protas and Snively have earned spots with their play, not with their potential to maybe be better than Eller eventually.

Edit: I'd personally want the lines at this point to be:
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
McMichael-Strome-Mantha
Snively-Eller-Oshie
Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway
All_Knowing liked this.
Sep. 30, 2022 at 9:40 a.m.

Thoughts:
NoVaSpartan
qc14
clockreads2113

I don't want to get rid of Eller, but I think he's the first out if Backy comes out. We'll need the space.

I think McM could be 2C right now, he's that good. He averaged like 13th forward time last season and was arguably out best possession player. He was a beast. Put him on the 2nd line full time and I be he cooks.
Sep. 30, 2022 at 10:16 a.m.

Thoughts:
NoVaSpartan
qc14
clockreads2113

I definitely agree that there is no need to get rid of Eller right now. I think there are probably 16 forwards who legitimately could have an NHL spot this year and that is without Wilson or Backstrom in. Obviously its not the best to block spots for younger guys like McM, Protas, Snively, but the goal this year should be to win the cup, development be damned. As we saw last year as well, there is absolutely zero guarantee that everyone stays healthy, and I expect Oshie and Mantha at least to miss some time. While I would rather see McM at the 3c rather than Eller, having 5 NHL centers is by no means a bad thing.

Edit: While McM's counting stats weren't great last year even when adjusting for his very minimal ice time, they were perfectly fine for a rookie. What was more encouraging though, was that his possession stats and chance creation stats in particular were some of the best on the team. Defensively, I view him a bit like Carlson in that while overall he actually is a good defensive player, the mistakes he did make on D tended to be big ones that would lead directly to big chances against (which once again is not that worrying as a rookie). If he improves his finishing, I feel really good about McM as a middle 6 center. That being said, he needs to be the one to take that spot -- they are absolutely not in a position to be giving minutes to anyone just so they can figure it out.
All_Knowing liked this.
Sep. 30, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
I wouldn't say I quite agree that he doesn't have the production to warrant 3C, I felt he looked decent in very limited minutes last year, especially when he briefly took 3C from Eller, but I think Lavi limiting his minutes didn't allow him to fully show his talent. I do have questions about his defensive ability (especially defensive awareness, more often than not I saw him watching 2 on 1 plays down low instead of covering for a defenseman).

I do agree that he shouldn't go to the 3C at this point though, I'd have him on the 2nd line as he should get far more development and opportunities with Mantha and Strome rather than Eller/MoJo and Oshie, at least until Wilson returns, when the Caps can reevaluate. Right now, I would still want the Caps to at least consider trading Eller, as I think Protas and Snively have impressed me enough to warrant getting a starting spot, and I can't see either of them making the roster with Eller/MoJo still around. I can agree with what you said about contending teams not necessarily worrying about developing the youth (which much of twitter fails to grasp), but in this case, I think Protas and Snively have earned spots with their play, not with their potential to maybe be better than Eller eventually.

Edit: I'd personally want the lines at this point to be:
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
McMichael-Strome-Mantha
Snively-Eller-Oshie
Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway

Quoting: ClockReads2113
I don't want to get rid of Eller, but I think he's the first out if Backy comes out. We'll need the space.

I think McM could be 2C right now, he's that good. He averaged like 13th forward time last season and was arguably out best possession player. He was a beast. Put him on the 2nd line full time and I be he cooks.

Quoting: qc14
I definitely agree that there is no need to get rid of Eller right now. I think there are probably 16 forwards who legitimately could have an NHL spot this year and that is without Wilson or Backstrom in. Obviously its not the best to block spots for younger guys like McM, Protas, Snively, but the goal this year should be to win the cup, development be damned. As we saw last year as well, there is absolutely zero guarantee that everyone stays healthy, and I expect Oshie and Mantha at least to miss some time. While I would rather see McM at the 3c rather than Eller, having 5 NHL centers is by no means a bad thing.

Edit: While McM's counting stats weren't great last year even when adjusting for his very minimal ice time, they were perfectly fine for a rookie. What was more encouraging though, was that his possession stats and chance creation stats in particular were some of the best on the team. Defensively, I view him a bit like Carlson in that while overall he actually is a good defensive player, the mistakes he did make on D tended to be big ones that would lead directly to big chances against (which once again is not that worrying as a rookie). If he improves his finishing, I feel really good about McM as a middle 6 center. That being said, he needs to be the one to take that spot -- they are absolutely not in a position to be giving minutes to anyone just so they can figure it out.

Great points all the way around. Really appreciate the feedback here.

@NoVaSpartan - I love those lines you put together. Snively and Protas have REALLY impressed me (and others on the Caps have spoken out about those specific players - including Iorio in there). Also, solid idea to put McMichael on the second line. That would provide more opportunities for him and hopefully - more finish.
@ClockReads2113 - Couldn't agree more - Eller is the first one out if Backy comes back / if they need to create space for a TDL acquisition / if McMichael establishes himself as a 3c. Slightly disagree with you on McMichael being a 2c right now, but that's just me.
@qc14 - Depth is always a good thing! I agree with everything you said, especially the defensive parts. McMichael is not a bad defender, but his mistakes have resulted in big chances / goals. I bet that will be fixed as he develops

Another thing to think about:

If the Caps traded Eller and replaced with McMichael (or Protas for that matter), that would REALLY hurt the PK. Who would be the 2nd PK center (behind Dowd)? Kuzy did a solid job on the PK, but he is eh on faceoffs and late in the game when you need a kill, you aren't going to put him out. McMichael? We already touched on his defensive ability so that's a no. Protas? I mean, maybe but you wouldn't play Protas just for PK time. Eller provides a sense of security with the team I think. This could certainly change, and you don't keep someone around for just PK time (unless you are Hags), but still something to consider.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Sep. 30, 2022 at 12:50 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Great points all the way around. Really appreciate the feedback here.

NoVaSpartan - I love those lines you put together. Snively and Protas have REALLY impressed me (and others on the Caps have spoken out about those specific players - including Iorio in there). Also, solid idea to put McMichael on the second line. That would provide more opportunities for him and hopefully - more finish.
ClockReads2113 - Couldn't agree more - Eller is the first one out if Backy comes back / if they need to create space for a TDL acquisition / if McMichael establishes himself as a 3c. Slightly disagree with you on McMichael being a 2c right now, but that's just me.
qc14 - Depth is always a good thing! I agree with everything you said, especially the defensive parts. McMichael is not a bad defender, but his mistakes have resulted in big chances / goals. I bet that will be fixed as he develops

Another thing to think about:

If the Caps traded Eller and replaced with McMichael (or Protas for that matter), that would REALLY hurt the PK. Who would be the 2nd PK center (behind Dowd)? Kuzy did a solid job on the PK, but he is eh on faceoffs and late in the game when you need a kill, you aren't going to put him out. McMichael? We already touched on his defensive ability so that's a no. Protas? I mean, maybe but you wouldn't play Protas just for PK time. Eller provides a sense of security with the team I think. This could certainly change, and you don't keep someone around for just PK time (unless you are Hags), but still something to consider.

Perhaps they would try and throw Oshie out there (though I personally dislike the idea of putting Oshie back at C, even if it is for limited situtions)? It does put the Caps in a bit of a bind unless McMichael or Protas steps up. In that situation, if neither rookie steps up and takes the mantle, I think they'd try and put MoJo in the lineup to have as a PK2C, but it certainly is a shaky part of the lineup without Eller.

Edit: I like having these conversations, and I was wondering if I could interest you three in a discussion thread specifically for the Caps season? @capsfan2121 and I have one in the Caps section of the forums and we'd both be happy to see more specifically Caps discussion. Here's the link: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/638820
All_Knowing liked this.
Sep. 30, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.
Perhaps they would try and throw Oshie out there (though I personally dislike the idea of putting Oshie back at C, even if it is for limited situtions)? It does put the Caps in a bit of a bind unless McMichael or Protas steps up. In that situation, if neither rookie steps up and takes the mantle, I think they'd try and put MoJo in the lineup to have as a PK2C, but it certainly is a shaky part of the lineup without Eller.

Edit: I like having these conversations, and I was wondering if I could interest you three in a discussion thread specifically for the Caps season? capsfan2121 and I have one in the Caps section of the forums and we'd both be happy to see more specifically Caps discussion. Here's the link: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/638820

Great points - forgot about Oshie and Moo

And yes that sounds wonderful! I would love to be added to the discussion thread if that is okay. Love chatting hockey (especially the Caps)! Thanks for that - I'm pumped!
NoVaSpartan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll