Forums/Armchair-GM

Holland goes all in

Created by: ceeque84
Team: 2022-23 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 22, 2022
Published: Sep. 30, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I still think its highly unlikely Holland trades for Chychrun. But say he does, I wouldnt be against Broberg & a 1rst being the main pieces that go the other way. I like Broberg & think its highly likely he is EVENTUALLY a top 4 dman. Chychrun is a top 4 dman NOW & signed to a decent contract for 3 more yrs, which obviously fits well into the Oilers WIN NOW window...
That being said... Main concerns about this trade would be, Chychrun has never played 70 games in one season due to injury.... can he stay healthy?? Also, The Oilers already have some depth on LHD, RHD is more needed in the coming yrs, is Chychrun capable of playing the right side consistently & effectively or can Kulak make that shift to the right side??
And any Oiler fans who hate the idea of trading a first rnd pick, get a grip... a 25th over all or later pick is not factoring into the team in the WIN NOW window so if Holland insists on holding a death grip on his first rnd picks then he isnt really serious about being all in.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$780,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Kane, Patrick
1$2,625,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Chychrun, Jakob
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (EDM)
ARI
  1. Barrie, Tyson
  2. Broberg, Philip
  3. Petrov, Matvei
  4. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
  5. 2024 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
    P Kane. Half retained. 3rd team involved to retain 1/4. 3rd rnd pick goes to whichever team is retaining. Trade happens well into the season, or at trade deadline.
    CHI
    1. Bourgault, Xavier
    2. Foegele, Warren
    3. Samorukov, Dmitri
    4. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
    5. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$82,500,000$82,374,000$896,000$1,350,000$126,000
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    Kane, Patrick
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $798,000$798,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $4,600,000$4,600,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $762,500$762,500
    LD
    RFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 30, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
    If you've been paying attention you'd know that Holland never goes "all-in", ie. sacrificing the future for the present. He has never traded a 1st for a rental, for example. Neither has the Edmonton Oilers organization in their 40+ year NHL history traded a 1st for a rental. Holland is a builder whose mandate is to create a team that will contend for the entire careers of McDavid and Draisaitl, he's not going to start sending out high end picks and prospects for a short term boost.

He's already had this conversation with Armstrong, and he refused to include Broberg or Holloway in any offer.
    aedoran liked this.
    Sep. 30, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
    Quoting: CD282
    If you've been paying attention you'd know that Holland never goes "all-in", ie. sacrificing the future for the present. He has never traded a 1st for a rental, for example. Neither has the Edmonton Oilers organization in their 40+ year NHL history traded a 1st for a rental. Holland is a builder whose mandate is to create a team that will contend for the entire careers of McDavid and Draisaitl, he's not going to start sending out high end picks and prospects for a short term boost.

He's already had this conversation with Armstrong, and he refused to include Broberg or Holloway in any offer.

I don't think Kane makes much sense for the Oilers, but Chychrun isn't a bad idea, but Broberg's and Holloway's ELCs are too valuable for the Oilers, who probably won't be able to extend Chychrun. I wonder though if both sides would be willing to have both McLeod and Puljujarvi+a B prospect instead of a premium prospect+typical cap dump or both Bourgault+Samorukov/Niemelainen.
    Sep. 30, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.

Paying attention??? This is CapFriendly where getting people to read and comprehend the title of the ACGM is a big enough task.
    CD282 liked this.
    Sep. 30, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.

Quoting: aedoran
    Paying attention??? This is CapFriendly where getting people to read and comprehend the title of the ACGM is a big enough task.

Speaking of "paying attention" I believe I clearly stated in the explanation: "I think its highly unlikely Holland trades for Chychrun"
    CD282 liked this.
    Sep. 30, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
    Quoting: GMBL
    I don't think Kane makes much sense for the Oilers, but Chychrun isn't a bad idea, but Broberg's and Holloway's ELCs are too valuable for the Oilers, who probably won't be able to extend Chychrun. I wonder though if both sides would be willing to have both McLeod and Puljujarvi+a B prospect instead of a premium prospect+typical cap dump or both Bourgault+Samorukov/Niemelainen.

Extending Chychrun is a non issue as he is signed for the next 3 seasons. And i'd argue that McLeod & even Puljujarvi are more valuable(to the Oilers) right now than Bourgault & Samo because they are roster players NOW, not in another season or 2.
    As for Niemo i think he could be the most valuable of the players you mentioned because he is arguably ready to play & has a much lower ceiling than Broberg or Bourgault. He's likely a career 3rd pairing dman who brings some physicality. He'll never cost more than say $2.5mill per yr but still serves a crucial spot on the roster. The entire roster cannot be made up top 15 picks who more or less all play the same style of game and who all eventually want to be paid $6mill+.
    With McD, Drai, Hyman, RNH, Kane, Nurse, & Bouchard the roster pretty much has its top 2 lines in place. Arguably they need one more top 6 winger(preferably RW) & one more top end Dman, & they need them now, not in 2 or 3 seasons.
    Sep. 30, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
    Quoting: ceeque84
    Extending Chychrun is a non issue as he is signed for the next 3 seasons. And i'd argue that McLeod & even Puljujarvi are more valuable(to the Oilers) right now than Bourgault & Samo because they are roster players NOW, not in another season or 2.
    As for Niemo i think he could be the most valuable of the players you mentioned because he is arguably ready to play & has a much lower ceiling than Broberg or Bourgault. He's likely a career 3rd pairing dman who brings some physicality. He'll never cost more than say $2.5mill per yr but still serves a crucial spot on the roster. The entire roster cannot be made up top 15 picks who more or less all play the same style of game and who all eventually want to be paid $6mill+.
    With McD, Drai, Hyman, RNH, Kane, Nurse, & Bouchard the roster pretty much has its top 2 lines in place. Arguably they need one more top 6 winger(preferably RW) & one more top end Dman, & they need them now, not in 2 or 3 seasons.

Extending Chychrun could be a challenge because all of those guys are signed beyond 3 years. Draisaitl and Holloway (if he makes the team) will need a raise at the same time as Chychrun but before that McLeod, JP, Yamamoto, and Skinner would which might be why Broberg is off the table as well. The cap doesn't go up much next year, and the Oilers will lose a lot of the cap relief that they have this year, which is why I suggested maybe JP and McLeod and it's also probably the reason why Holland isn't willing to bring in Chychrun for Broberg+a 1st+Barrie for example since next year they would still need to make a sacrifice.

Bourgault and Samo are less valuable than JP and McLeod to the Oilers now imo but I wonder if either team would be willing to give/take either package. Perhaps, the best package for both teams would be something like JP+Samo(or another prospect) +1st+Barrie. The Oilers are probably among the teams who aren't super high on Chychrun though.
    Oct. 1, 2022 at 3:57 a.m.
    Quoting: GMBL
    Extending Chychrun could be a challenge because all of those guys are signed beyond 3 years. Draisaitl and Holloway (if he makes the team) will need a raise at the same time as Chychrun but before that McLeod, JP, Yamamoto, and Skinner would which might be why Broberg is off the table as well. The cap doesn't go up much next year, and the Oilers will lose a lot of the cap relief that they have this year, which is why I suggested maybe JP and McLeod and it's also probably the reason why Holland isn't willing to bring in Chychrun for Broberg+a 1st+Barrie for example since next year they would still need to make a sacrifice.

Bourgault and Samo are less valuable than JP and McLeod to the Oilers now imo but I wonder if either team would be willing to give/take either package. Perhaps, the best package for both teams would be something like JP+Samo(or another prospect) +1st+Barrie. The Oilers are probably among the teams who aren't super high on Chychrun though.

My point was that extending Chych is a non issue because he has 3 seasons left on his deal.... if the Oilers went all in this yr and traded for him and another piece and didnt win a cup in the next 3 yrs they'd most likely be looking at remaking alot of the team by then anyways.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll