Forums/Armchair-GM

Preseason Standouts

Created by: Nathaniel
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 30, 2022
Published: Sep. 30, 2022
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Team Explanation
This Leafs preseason has been particularly interesting, not only because a lot of guys have been very surprising, but also because we have racked up a giant amount of injuries. This has made it fairly hard to pencil in certain players into the lineup, as waiver eligibility will play a large part in who makes the team and who doesn't. Heres a breakdown of my favourite standouts:

Denis Malgin: Malgin has looked fantastic. He is a genuine NHLer. I have stood by him ever since we have gotten him from Florida, as he had some great results in the NHL prior to returning to Switzerland. His speed, his possession, his defensive play, his checking, everything has been fantastic. With Nylander, without Nylander, Malgin just gets it done. He's a real standout who is signed for cheap, which I think makes him an ideal roster player. He is also waiver eligible which I think plays a big factor in keeping him up on the big team.

Alex Steeves: Steeves has been one of the guys whose success has surprised me least. I have adored Steeves as a player since I saw him at the Traverse City tournament last year. He only played a short while before getting injured, but looked great and has a fantastic attitude. Great motor on this kid, and he's coming off of a great season with the Marlies. He should certainly be an NHL option eventually, but given his waiver exemption, I think he will marinate in the AHL for one more season. Great kid, really hope to see more of his play.

Pontus Holmberg: There is one word that comes to mind in regards to Holmberg; Wow. He looks right at home against NHL competition. Great motor, has been surprisingly physical, has generated a lot of offensive opportunities, and looks very sound defensively. I am a big fan. Like Steeves, Holmberg's waiver exemption probably means he returns to the AHL as their 1C, but after the Gaudette experiment is all said and done, Holmberg should get the call for sure.

Zach Aston-Reese: ZAR has been exactly as advertised. Super tough, aggressive forechecker, and defensive machine. He's earned a contract and then some. I'm really hoping this is a Mike Hoffman situation where there is already a contract in place, because man, ZAR has been fantastic.

Nick Robertson: Almost as unsurprising as Steeves. What can I saw about Robertson that hasn't been said one thousand times before. He's great.

Bobby McMann: Reminds me a lot of a guy like Josh Leivo or Stefan Noesen. Tough nose fourth liner who scores. Ive been a fan of what I've seen, but again, the waiver exemption changes everything.

Marshall Rifai: This kid is going to get an ELC sooner than later. Ive been a fan since this most recent development camp, where Rifai's skating was a real standout. In Traverse, he was an absolute pest and looked very good. Now in the preseason, he continues to look very good. Currently on an AHL deal, but could be signed to an ELC in which case he also gets a waiver exemption. Im a big fan

Victor Mete: Fluid skater, steps up in the offensive zone. My expectations were fairly low, but I've been impressed. Probably finds himself among the final cuts and could probably get picked up on waivers, in which case its kind of a loss, but nothing major. If he clears, then even better.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:

Samsonov: Has looked very good. Could work on his play out of his crease, but both Campbell and Mrazek were AWFUL outside of their nets last year and we did just fine with them, so it's whatever. Ive been very impressed by Samsonov, but thats not a surprise.

Murray: Has also looked great (unsurprisingly). Im a HUGE Murray fan. He's been one of my favourite goalies in the league since he was drafted. Still surreal to see him dawn the blue and white.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Aston-Reese, Zach1$850,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Rifai, Marshall1$750,000
Waiver, Eligible1$750,000
Waiver, Exempt1$750,000
Waiver, Exempt1$750,000
Professional, Tryout1$750,000
Waiver, Exempt1$750,000
Waiver, Exempt1$750,000
AHL, Contract1$750,000
Waiver, Eligible1$750,000
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$82,500,000$12,533,334$212,500$0$69,966,666
Left WingCenterRight Wing
Logo of the TOR
Malgin, Denis
$750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Waiver, Eligible
$750,000
Logo of the TOR
Steeves, Alex
$834,167
C
RFA - 2
Waiver, Exempt
$750,000
Logo of the TOR
Holmberg, Pontus
$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
Waiver, Exempt
$750,000
Logo of the TOR
Aston-Reese, Zach
$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Professional, Tryout
$750,000
Logo of the TOR
Robertson, Nicholas
$796,667
LW
RFA - 2
Waiver, Exempt
$750,000
Logo of the TOR
McMann, Bobby
$762,500
C
UFA - 2
Waiver, Exempt
$750,000
Rifai, Marshall
$750,000
AHL, Contract
$750,000
Logo of the TOR
Mete, Victor
$750,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Waiver, Eligible
$750,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the TOR
Aubé-Kubel, Nicolas
$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Samsonov, Ilya
$1,800,000
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Murray, Matt
$4,687,500
G
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the TOR
Järnkrok, Calle
$2,100,000
C, LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the TOR
Simmonds, Wayne
$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the TOR
Kämpf, David
$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Gaudette, Adam
$750,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Engvall, Pierre
$2,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Kerfoot, Alexander
$3,500,000
LW, C
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Bunting, Michael
$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Clifford, Kyle
$762,500
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the TOR
Brodie, TJ
$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the TOR
Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the TOR
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the TOR
Marner, Mitchell
$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the TOR
Matthews, Auston
$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the TOR
Giordano, Mark
$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the TOR
Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the TOR
Sandin, Rasmus
$1,400,000
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the TOR
Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Anderson, Joey
$750,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the TOR
Liljegren, Timothy
$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 30 at 9:26 p.m.
Kraken Fan Designate
Not sure if you just have them in a random order but to me Malgin, mete, and Robertson have been really standing out. Steeves as well but to a lesser extent. ZAR is also looking good. I also liked Holmberg at times but I don't think he makes the team.
Sep. 30 at 9:45 p.m.
Lets Go Leafs
Quoting: GMBL
Not sure if you just have them in a random order but to me Malgin, mete, and Robertson have been really standing out. Steeves as well but to a lesser extent. ZAR is also looking good. I also liked Holmberg at times but I don't think he makes the team.

Updated to include explanations in the description. It should also be considered that I ranked these guys based on my expectations for them going into the preseason
GMBL liked this.
Sep. 30 at 11:31 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
👌I like it man, agree with all of it.

I’ll just stick with Marshall Rifai, for a team desperate in need of some defensive prospects, he looks like a very good find. Reminds me a lot of Travis Dermott. I was thinking he would probably start with the Growlers but with all the injuries, he is absolutely playing with the Marlies. Because they only have one more SPC (that’s going to ZAR) Marshall will have to wait till next season, but absolutely he is getting an ELC.
Nathaniel liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll