Forums/Armchair-GM

Find a deal and pull the trigger

Created by: Prison_Goalie_Rick
Team: 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 4, 2022
Published: Oct. 4, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Probably wont happen until the TDL. The CBJ FO will want to see how their team plays and if they need to improve before the playoffs, and also if Chychrun is healthy. ARZ will likely want to wait until the TDL anyway to try and maximize the return.

My assumptions are that the Jackets will be good this year and will want to make a move to improve the defense at the TDL so they can maximize the prime years of 13 and 29. Hopefully Chychrun can stay healthy because he is a tremendous hockey player who could compliment Z well on the top pair.

I don't think Gavrikov will be in the Jackets future plans (though I hope I'm wrong) so Chychrun will slot in as a great 2nd pair LD when Jiricek comes up to play on the right side of the top pair. That kid is looking like an absolute stud, so it could be as soon as next season.
Trades
ARI
  1. Bean, Jake
  2. Boqvist, Adam
  3. Ceulemans, Corson [Reserve List]
  4. 2024 1st round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Top 5 protected
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$75,212,500$0$2,475,000$7,287,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$9,750,000$9,750,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$700,000$700K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$975,000$975,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,583,333$9,583,333
LD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$5,400,000$5,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,525,000$1,525,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.
That's giving up too many defenders, imagine Arz builds half their blueline off a Chychrun trade. If the goal is to improve for the playoffs, that probably doesn't mean moving two roster defenseman for one then playing a call-up.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:15 p.m.
Love Chychrun, but that's a bit of an overpay, Boqvist and Bean and either Ceulemens or the 1st might be more reasonable for Columbus.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
i can agree with it seeming like too much but none of the defensemen in that lineup are call ups. Blankenburg might start over bean opening night playing on his off side. they also have Jiricek, Svozil, Mateychuk coming soon
Prison_Goalie_Rick liked this.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: BJ_Lover
i can agree with it seeming like too much but none of the defensemen in that lineup are call ups. Blankenburg might start over bean opening night playing on his off side. they also have Jiricek, Svozil, Mateychuk coming soon

Quoting: GMBL
That's giving up too many defenders, imagine Arz builds half their blueline off a Chychrun trade. If the goal is to improve for the playoffs, that probably doesn't mean moving two roster defenseman for one then playing a call-up.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
Edited Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.

But is he ahead of Boqvist? If the goal is to be better "now" (i.e. for the playoffs if it's a TDL deal) it would make sense to upgrade Bean to Chychrun and the cost of that might be Ceulemans and a 1st.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
A-toad-a-so

The Jackets have 7 NHL defensemen right now so they wouldn't be playing a call up, and Chychrun is a huge upgrade over Bean and it's looking like Boqvist too. Boq is great offensively but is horrid in his own zone.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.

But is he ahead of Boqvist?

no, but in some fans opinions he could be. the right side is your choice of Peeke, Gud. Boq and Blanks, with the fourth of those taking the 3rd pair LD in a lot of fans minds
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
Quoting: pwisch17
The Jackets have 7 NHL defensemen right now so they wouldn't be playing a call up, and Chychrun is a huge upgrade over Bean and it's looking like Boqvist too. Boq is great offensively but is horrid in his own zone.

He's still one of their higher ceiling young defenseman with experience. Having 7D is no problem if they have playoff aspirations. If they are doing the same trade minus Boqvist, they are going to be a better team even if he does end up being the 7th option.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
But is he ahead of Boqvist?

no, but in some fans opinions he could be. the right side is your choice of Peeke, Gud. Boq and Blanks, with the fourth of those taking the 3rd pair LD in a lot of fans minds

He's still one of their higher ceiling young defenseman with experience. Having 7D is no problem if they have playoff aspirations. If they are doing the same trade minus Boqvist, they are going to be a better team even if he does end up being the 7th option.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
A-toad-a-so

Not all NHL defensemen are created equal. Chychrun is much more capable at playing against top competition than anyone of their current dmen (aside from Z and Gav). Keeping Boqvist just to have as a 6th or 7th defenseman over Blankenburg or Peeke is not worth it. They need an upgrade at the top. I personally don't believe Boqvist's ceiling is much higher than where he's currently at. He just doesn't have the physical traits, and I'm questioning his midset as well. He had the opportunity to come in this year and take the top RHD spot, but instead he has looked unsure and unwilling.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:46 p.m.
Yegor bomb
Not all NHL defensemen are created equal. Chychrun is much more capable at playing against top competition than anyone of their current dmen (aside from Z and Gav). Keeping Boqvist just to have as a 6th or 7th defenseman over Blankenburg or Peeke is not worth it. They need an upgrade at the top. I personally don't believe Boqvist's ceiling is much higher than where he's currently at. He just doesn't have the physical traits, and I'm questioning his midset as well. He had the opportunity to come in this year and take the top RHD spot, but instead he has looked unsure and unwilling.

FWIW Boqvist is playing along side Zach on the top pairing at practice... Maybe he has been playing better than some people think, at least according to the coaching staff. We'll see what the final lines look like come next week
Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.

Keeping Boqvist probably doesn't prevent them from also acquiring Chychrun. With the assumption that this is going to be a TDL move, it would definitely be worth having that depth since it should also promote internal competition but it also won't cost assets like a rental. Perhaps Boqvist does need a change of scenery, so if he's included then maybe they shouldn't have to include celeumans but if they do then they might as well keep Bean. Would suck if Chychrun remained healthy the whole time and then got injured just before the playoffs.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 2:22 p.m.

I mean yeah youre gonna be a better team by not giving up a player instead of giving one up. My point i was making was that the jackets need to make room for jiricek svozil and Mateychuk regardless so its not the end of the world to give up 3D in a trade
Oct. 4, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.

I mean yeah youre gonna be a better team by not giving up a player instead of giving one up. My point i was making was that the jackets need to make room for jiricek svozil and Mateychuk regardless so its not the end of the world to give up 3D in a trade

That's a next year problem though, no?
benjgc liked this.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
A-toad-a-so
Keeping Boqvist probably doesn't prevent them from also acquiring Chychrun. With the assumption that this is going to be a TDL move, it would definitely be worth having that depth since it should also promote internal competition but it also won't cost assets like a rental. Perhaps Boqvist does need a change of scenery, so if he's included then maybe they shouldn't have to include celeumans but if they do then they might as well keep Bean. Would suck if Chychrun remained healthy the whole time and then got injured just before the playoffs.

The trade can definitely happen without Boqvist, but I think the CBJ would certainly rather part with him than another young prospect like Mateychuk, Chinakov or Marchenko. With the way the physicality and compete ramp up in the postseason, I don't see having Boqvist as much of an insurance policy. I'd rather call up Jiricek if that is the scenario. Also, while the term is short, getting rid of Bean and Boqvist's contracts will help this team with cap flexibility next year.

That's a next year problem though, no?

With 3 years left on Chychrun's deal, next year and beyond have to figure into the equation. Trying to win now isn't the same as being short-sighted to get better.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 3:12 p.m.
The trade can definitely happen without Boqvist, but I think the CBJ would certainly rather part with him than another young prospect like Mateychuk, Chinakov or Marchenko. With the way the physicality and compete ramp up in the postseason, I don't see having Boqvist as much of an insurance. I'd rather call up Jiricek if that is the scenario. Also, while the term is short, getting rid of Bean and Boqvist's contracts will help this team with cap flexibility next year.

With 3 years left on Chychrun's deal, next year and beyond have to figure into the equation. Trying to win now isn't the same as being short-sighted to get better.

Chychrun is probably not worth giving up a ton of prospects for but they won't be able to play they all, so it won't hurt to give up one of the forward prospects instead.

Getting rid of both Boqvist and Bean doesn't have to be in the same trade or season.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
A-toad-a-so
Chychrun is probably not worth giving up a ton of prospects for but they won't be able to play they all, so it won't hurt to give up one of the forward prospects instead.

Getting rid of both Boqvist and Bean doesn't have to be in the same trade or season.

They really don't have many top-end forward prospects outside Marchenko, Chinakov and Johnson. They could all make the team this year and will be needed to step up in the next 1-2 years as aging players drop off. The defensive prospect pool is absolutely loaded and they can afford to sacrifice more there. If ARZ wants a young forward it would have to be someone outside of the aforementioned three, and I don't think that would be enough to land Chychrun. Besides, ARZ has tons of forward prospects coming up and virtually no defense, so I think they would want to target defensemen in any Chychrun deal.
Oct. 4, 2022 at 7:13 p.m.
They really don't have many top-end forward prospects outside Marchenko, Chinakov and Johnson. They could all make the team this year and will be needed to step up in the next 1-2 years as aging players drop off. The defensive prospect pool is absolutely loaded and they can afford to sacrifice more there. If ARZ wants a young forward it would have to be someone outside of the aforementioned three, and I don't think that would be enough to land Chychrun. Besides, ARZ has tons of forward prospects coming up and virtually no defense, so I think they would want to target defensemen in any Chychrun deal.

Seems like Arz just wants good prospects, not necessarily defenceman. Perhaps, CBJ could use that deep prospect pool to upgrade their forward core though instead of overpaying for Chychrun.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll