SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Logan Mailloux (3 Years / $902,500 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 5, 2022 at 8:48 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
As someone who is a teenager and spends a lot of time around teenagers, many of them are let off way too easily. Some teenagers break laws all the time, in spite of them being given their independence. But nearly none of them ever get charged. Saying “they’re young” is no excuse. You’re not holding people accountable for their actions. It’s the same thing as saying “boys will be boys”.

If Mailloux was old enough to live away from home in another country and play professional hockey, he should be tried like an adult. (Since he essentially is one.)

im not trying to defend the action that he did. its definitly a valid point to raise the question '' was the punishment enough and more importantly, whats steps did he do to show he wants to repent for his actions, and show he did learn from it ''. and i 100% disagree with the boys will be boys as a good argument, its not an excuse for any behavior. but the ''their young '', thats different. it is not an excuse to defend any behavior, but i an excuse to defend the severity for punishement.

and for the being abroad thing, i know deep down you know thats irrelevant. once again, i dont want to defend his action, but its in my deepest values that teenagers should be given second chances. who you are at 16-17 years old doesnt define who you will be. but i will always respect your opinion.
Oct. 5, 2022 at 8:58 p.m.
I count at least a half a dozen members who 100% should be receiving an "infraction" strike on their account with the comments being made.

Please stop.
Oct. 5, 2022 at 9:07 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Went_Wughes
So you're a hater?

yeah i'm not a big fan of canadiens or sex offenders.
Kotkaniemi15 and kaljakori liked this.
Oct. 5, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I count at least a half a dozen members who 100% should be receiving an "infraction" strike on their account with the comments being made.

Please stop.

Not your place to decide that.

I'm taking a position of some leniency here for the same reasons we're keeping discussion moving forward regarding the Hockey Canada scandals.

I want to trust the user base here to have a mature discussion. Some of the really egregious comments were already deleted. If you guys can't grow up we'll just lock the thread.
A_Habs_fan, F50marco, Kotkaniemi15 and 3 others liked this.
Oct. 5, 2022 at 9:37 p.m.
Teenagers do stupid things.

My 16 year old daughter sent another female classmate, who was 17 year old, a nude pic which got reported and the police got involved.

She could have been charge with a crime and had to live with the "sex offender" tag for the rest of her life and have her future career ruined.

So all you keyboard warriors, riding your high horse, when discussing Mailloux, obviously don't remember what a teenage life is and the progression with maturity into adulthood is.
JeyCH22, KSIxSKULLS and drambui liked this.
Oct. 5, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
Quoting: SnakeDelilah
i thought this guy had his draft rights rescinded no?

na that was Mitchell Miller
Oct. 5, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
Off ice discussion aside, Im surprised Habs felt inclined to even sign him right now. They should have waited as long as possible to sign him if they knew they wanted to eventually. Signing him now does nothing for them. At least with another year he could have played some actual hockey for the brass to watch and in that time could have had even more character training.

Frankly he's played so little due to injury/suspension, etc lately that signing him right now makes so little sense from a player evaluation perspective.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:54 a.m.
Quoting: drambui
does something you have done when you were 14 should hold the same weight as if you were an adult? .

What does that have to do with this case where he was 2 months away from being a legal adult? We seriously need to stop babying people who do things like this. Yes, even a minor knows what Mailloux did was wrong. His punishment wasn't even a slap on the wrist, it was somehow less than that. If he did it 2 months later he'd face automatic jail time. How do you not see the problem of defending his minor status?
Oct. 6, 2022 at 7:25 a.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: F50marco
Off ice discussion aside, Im surprised Habs felt inclined to even sign him right now. They should have waited as long as possible to sign him if they knew they wanted to eventually. Signing him now does nothing for them. At least with another year he could have played some actual hockey for the brass to watch and in that time could have had even more character training.

Frankly he's played so little due to injury/suspension, etc lately that signing him right now makes so little sense from a player evaluation perspective.

He was everywhere around veterans of the team this summer, this signing isn't a surprise to me. By signing him the Canadiens are blowing away the dark cloud over his head so he can now focus on playing hockey and not thinking whether or not he's part of a team's future. I guess he's proven to the team he's worthy of it and the team faces little to no risks considering he's only starting his D+2 season.

Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
People like Mailloux should be in jail. So yes, he definitely shouldn’t have a job.

Man just cheer for another team if you ain't happy about it...
Oct. 6, 2022 at 8:11 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco

Exactly my thoughts too, he’s played so little and is currently injured, hard to gauge the talent we have in him, this season ( as long as he stays healthy ) would’ve been the time to evaluate him thoroughly
Oct. 6, 2022 at 9:06 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
yeah i'm not a big fan of canadiens or sex offenders.

Sex offender is a long stretch. It's the epitomy of semantic and sensationalism.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 9:08 a.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
What does that have to do with this case where he was 2 months away from being a legal adult? We seriously need to stop babying people who do things like this. Yes, even a minor knows what Mailloux did was wrong. His punishment wasn't even a slap on the wrist, it was somehow less than that. If he did it 2 months later he'd face automatic jail time. How do you not see the problem of defending his minor status?

i dont see the problem at all of defending his minor status. ( there is no such thing as automatic jail time by the way for that kind of offence). and once again, if you feel the punishment was not enough, it can be a valid point. but i believe in readaptation. if mailloux can show he his willing to repent for his action, i dont think preventing him from becoming a nhl player is the right thing to do just to make some people happy. fun fact : if he had done his crime in canada, no one would have known because the records are secrects here for minor, but not in sweden. just different legal system. (not an excuse for anything, just a fun fact).
Went_Wughes, Doshee and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 10:10 a.m.
torontos finest
Sex offender is a long stretch. It's the epitomy of semantic and sensationalism.

he's still a hab though
Oct. 6, 2022 at 12:37 p.m.
Banned
he's still a hab though

Hopefully your desire to start being rational instead of letting your bias color outside the lines will restore your awareness.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.
torontos finest
Hopefully your desire to start being rational instead of letting your bias color outside the lines will restore your awareness.

sorry i'm not giving the benefit of the doubt to some creep kid who just made a ton of money the same week our national hockey organization is getting shredded by their sponsors and the government for covering up sexual assault cases. it's almost as if the issue with mallioux isn't some one off bad apple incident and is instead a reflection of youth hockey culture's treatment of women as a whole.

i'd wager the only reason you're going so hard to bat for this kid is because he's a montreal canadien and could be good, which is more telling of your own biases over mine.
poeticentropy liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:04 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: kaljakori

Sending a non consensual nude photo of consensual sex in Sweden results in prison time?
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:05 p.m.
WentWughes
sorry i'm not giving the benefit of the doubt to some creep kid who just made a ton of money the same week our national hockey organization is getting shredded by their sponsors and the government for covering up sexual assault cases. it's almost as if the issue with mallioux isn't some one off bad apple incident and is instead a reflection of youth hockey culture's treatment of women as a whole.

i'd wager the only reason you're going so hard to bat for this kid is because he's a montreal canadien and could be good, which is more telling of your own biases over mine.

Now treat Matthews the same way
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:09 p.m.
HABS FAN
As a long time HABS fan I was surprised when he was drafted but he was considered a top 10 pick in the draft. Yes the teenager made a horrible mistake that can never be accepted and was morally wrong. But he has done everything he had to do legally and personally to make right the horrible mistake he committed but I'm sure the young woman will never forgive him. By all counts he has lived up to what punishment he was given and learned from it. Should he suffer the rest of his life for this stupid mistake, I don't think so. Also I'm sure a lot of the negative comments are from real HAB haters who can't stand the fact they have a talented young D man under contract.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:14 p.m.
Banned

You're ridiculous. It's sad how your opinion just sounds like the woke jargon of the times.

I grew up without cell phone. God knows what I would have done with one during my sexual exploits as a youngster.

Have you never bragged with friends about a sexual encounter or made negative comments about an experience to friends?
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Now treat Matthews the same way

The indecent was Matthews was completely inappropriate and unacceptable on his part, and you'd be forgiven to thinking less of him because it. However I think it's a far stretch to act like the two incidents are on the same level. Photographing a person naked without their consent and sharing said photos isn't quite the same as showing your underwear to a security guard, especially considering the former isn't some spontaneous or arbitrary action. Both are definitely indications of how poorly youth hockey culture views women though.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:27 p.m.
torontos finest
God knows what I would have done with one during my sexual exploits as a youngster.

sounds like you need to turn yourself in to the police
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:35 p.m.
WentWughes
The indecent was Matthews was completely inappropriate and unacceptable on his part, and you'd be forgiven to thinking less of him because it. However I think it's a far stretch to act like the two incidents are on the same level. Photographing a person naked without their consent and sharing said photos isn't quite the same as showing your underwear to a security guard, especially considering the former isn't some spontaneous or arbitrary action. Both are definitely indications of how poorly youth hockey culture views women though.

The only difference is Mailloux wasn't able to pay off the defendant and Matthews was. Done talking about it because this talk probably isn't allowed, but like mentioned above, if this was Canada, we wouldn't even know about it because he was a youth when it happened, Matthews was not.
Went_Wughes liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
Banned
sounds like you need to turn yourself in to the police

Constructive. Thanks for participating. Enjoy festering in your judgement and superiority.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
torontos finest
Constructive. Thanks for participating. Enjoy festering in your judgement and superiority.

there's no use in talking to you seriously considering you opened this discussion by saying "so you're a hater" and completely ignored the point i was making in my post to go on about your definitely real sexual exploits.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:56 p.m.
Banned
there's no use in talking to you seriously considering you opened this discussion by saying "so you're a hater" and completely ignored the point i was making in my post to go on about your definitely real sexual exploits.

Sure. Dismiss and deflect and to defend your irrational bias. Typical. Thanks for showing your true self.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit