$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 6, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
it has to be engvall or Kerfoot i think, as much as i dont like holl he just doenst give you enough space really and Keef loves him to much also. that is why we gave up McCann in the expansion draft.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
Let Him Cook
holl looks way faster this year too, he"ll be a big part of our blue line, we need him more than kerfoot imo.
palhal liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
It's going to be ZAR, not Simmonds
Oct. 6, 2022 at 11:48 a.m.
Engvall or Holl dont allow you to have 19 skaters, even though hes the best of the lot, Kerfoot has to go, or the team will struggle to ice a team (or overplay their top 7 players constantly).

Leafs arent hurting for offense, never do, but the age on defense or over-reliance on Sandin/iljegren who have never played top 4 minutes or 70+ games, makes Holl more important than Kerfoot.
palhal liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 12:03 p.m.
Quoting: python3504
it has to be engvall or Kerfoot i think, as much as i dont like holl he just doenst give you enough space really and Keef loves him to much also. that is why we gave up McCann in the expansion draft.

I agree.

For the last couple seasons, NHL caliber blueline depth has been an issue with the Leafs, and now having 7, there is a knee jerk reaction to move one of them to get under cap. Holl isn't a big flashy name, but is economical and efficient in his game, and just underrated. Sure, there are better out there, but there are worse. Moving Holl will simply recreate a wheel where you Dubas will be hunting for D depthbat the deadline..... just like last year.

Which brings us to Kerfoot or Engvall.

Kerfoot is completely versatile, plays 200 feet, and can play centre - which seems to matter. Now, I am not sure if we get the 2021-22 Kerfoot this year, but his sample size is large enough to suggest he is a defensively reliable and good for 40 points.

Engvall is a bit more of an enigma - a player who has the size to play a heavy game (but really doesn't), his transition game is fantastic, skates well, and defends well, and plays centre in a pinch. What he can do offensively is anyone's guess. Did he catch lightening in a bottle last year, or has he finally found his game?

Overall, I move Kerfoot, and here is why.

1. He is a Swiss Army knife in the line up, and Dubas signed a second one in Järnkrok. He too can play up the line up and play centre. And just like Kerfoot, better on the wing.

2. Kerfoot has priced himself out of Toronto, guaranteed. Engvall at this point maybe has not. If he repeats his season from last year, there maybe a similar contract in line. Retaining Engvall is more likely than retaining Kerfoot.

3. Kerfoot nets a better return. We know Kerfoot is worth a 2nd, and we know we won't get that. Engvall on the market maybe nets a 3rd under equal, non cap related circumstances. The cap pinch drives that price down. Knowing a move has to be made, I would move the player that will garner the best asset possible.

4. The sudden emergence of Malgin and the somewhat expected showing of Robertson...... neither player is someone I would exactly want in my bottom 6. But, in the top 6 could thrive - and we have seen evidence of that.neither player ar this stage has the defensive capabilities of Kerfoot, but certainly the offense is there. Leafs fans have seen Roberston in a more limited role, and the results have been luke warm. Going back a couple.years, we can say the same for Malgin. Imo, neither player is really suited to replace Engvall in the bottom 6, (and ZAR is a great 4th line option if someone thinks he is it). But, to replace Kerfoot in the top 6? Yeah..... I could see it.

Certainly not the easiest decision to male here folks, but long.term, thinking through the process, it's Kerfoot.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Hammerwise
Engvall or Holl dont allow you to have 19 skaters, even though hes the best of the lot, Kerfoot has to go, or the team will struggle to ice a team (or overplay their top 7 players constantly).

Leafs arent hurting for offense, never do, but the age on defense or over-reliance on Sandin/iljegren who have never played top 4 minutes or 70+ games, makes Holl more important than Kerfoot.

Just to add....Benn is out a month, and Dalmstrom six months. Leafs have absolutely no NHL Dman depth . It's insanity to think a 20 man roster works with only 6 NHL Dmen.
Hammerwise liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 12:14 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: jake4leafs
holl looks way faster this year too, he"ll be a big part of our blue line, we need him more than kerfoot imo.

I was really surprised how poor Holl's skating was last year compared to 20/21. Hope you're right about his speed "way faster" this year.
JAKE6 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:02 p.m.
Let Him Cook
Edited Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I was really surprised how poor Holl's skating was last year compared to 20/21. Hope you're right about his speed "way faster" this year.

he is 15 pounds lighter, and it showed in pre season, he used to get burned far and wide by anyone, and now he seems to be around his man which was a pretty big issue in his game last year
palhal liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:04 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
he is 15 pounds lighter, and it showed in pre season, he used to get burned far and wide by anyone, and now he seems to be always around his man which was a pretty big issue in his game last year imo

What I noticed last season, is when skating forward especially with the puck, he just glided instead of taking strides.
JAKE6 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
Let Him Cook
Quoting: palhal
What I noticed last season, is when skating forward especially with the puck, he just glided instead of taking strides.

fear of making turnovers? possibly looking down and getting rocked? i also think he knows his role is to be a that shutdown guy, with him getting caught out of place at times hes probably afraid of making mistakes
palhal liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:12 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
fear of making turnovers? possibly looking down and getting rocked? i also think he knows his role is to be a that shutdown guy, with him getting caught out of place at times hes probably afraid of making mistakes

Lack of confidence is career killer in any profession. I think I got this quote correct from NFL coaching legend Vince Lombardi, " Fear makes cowards of us all."
JAKE6 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
he is 15 pounds lighter, and it showed in pre season, he used to get burned far and wide by anyone, and now he seems to be around his man which was a pretty big issue in his game last year

true but he still makes some head scratching decisions at times.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
Quoting: swinny
I agree.

For the last couple seasons, NHL caliber blueline depth has been an issue with the Leafs, and now having 7, there is a knee jerk reaction to move one of them to get under cap. Holl isn't a big flashy name, but is economical and efficient in his game, and just underrated. Sure, there are better out there, but there are worse. Moving Holl will simply recreate a wheel where you Dubas will be hunting for D depthbat the deadline..... just like last year.

Which brings us to Kerfoot or Engvall.

Kerfoot is completely versatile, plays 200 feet, and can play centre - which seems to matter. Now, I am not sure if we get the 2021-22 Kerfoot this year, but his sample size is large enough to suggest he is a defensively reliable and good for 40 points.

Engvall is a bit more of an enigma - a player who has the size to play a heavy game (but really doesn't), his transition game is fantastic, skates well, and defends well, and plays centre in a pinch. What he can do offensively is anyone's guess. Did he catch lightening in a bottle last year, or has he finally found his game?

Overall, I move Kerfoot, and here is why.

1. He is a Swiss Army knife in the line up, and Dubas signed a second one in Järnkrok. He too can play up the line up and play centre. And just like Kerfoot, better on the wing.

2. Kerfoot has priced himself out of Toronto, guaranteed. Engvall at this point maybe has not. If he repeats his season from last year, there maybe a similar contract in line. Retaining Engvall is more likely than retaining Kerfoot.

3. Kerfoot nets a better return. We know Kerfoot is worth a 2nd, and we know we won't get that. Engvall on the market maybe nets a 3rd under equal, non cap related circumstances. The cap pinch drives that price down. Knowing a move has to be made, I would move the player that will garner the best asset possible.

4. The sudden emergence of Malgin and the somewhat expected showing of Robertson...... neither player is someone I would exactly want in my bottom 6. But, in the top 6 could thrive - and we have seen evidence of that.neither player ar this stage has the defensive capabilities of Kerfoot, but certainly the offense is there. Leafs fans have seen Roberston in a more limited role, and the results have been luke warm. Going back a couple.years, we can say the same for Malgin. Imo, neither player is really suited to replace Engvall in the bottom 6, (and ZAR is a great 4th line option if someone thinks he is it). But, to replace Kerfoot in the top 6? Yeah..... I could see it.

Certainly not the easiest decision to male here folks, but long.term, thinking through the process, it's Kerfoot.

I agree with you, but my question is what do they get for Kerfoot, i see alot of people saying leafs would have to add but i cant see that.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:39 p.m.
Quoting: python3504
I agree with you, but my question is what do they get for Kerfoot, i see alot of people saying leafs would have to add but i cant see that.

No. I disagree. I am thinking a 3rd or 4th, maybe a mid level prospect, much like the Johnsson for Anderson deal.

Kerfoot has positive value. Just because there is a cap squeeze doesn't mitigate that fact. But, the chance to get market value (which would have been during the opening days of free agency at the latest) is gone.

Still see Calgary, Minny and the Peg having interest. He fits in any of those systems well. Just accept a less than market return and move on.
Hammerwise and python3504 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll