Opening Night Lineup Cap Test - Read Description

Created by: Rellamin
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 9, 2022
Published: Oct. 9, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
EDIT: Gaudette, Mete, Simmonds, Clifford on Waivers.. Malgin IN
Leafs should avoid losing players off waivers if they don't have to. By putting Lily and Benn on LTIR (I'm not exactly sure how LTIR works but I know the more you can use of it the more it accrues?) This gets them within 70K of the cap (assuming ZAR is signed to 850K, could be +/- that number) I assume Benn wouldn't get claimed on waivers once healthy and can be sent down to the minors. I really liked Robertson but he's waivers exempt and can be called up down the line, Malgin is already placed on Marlies roster and can be an emergency call up throughout the season. This saves them from losing Gaudette for no reason. Injuries are a part of hockey and much like in years past they might be able to get through a portion of the season before having to lose anyone on waivers (they will have seen more play and can make a better evaluation at a later date. Alternatively they could waive Gaudette and use one of Robertson or Malgin on that second line and hope he doesn't get claimed.)

There is a scenario where Tavares might not be able to play game one, or multiple games. Would it be possible to bench a 19 man roster, put Tavares on IR and use an emergency call up for someone after one game? OR is there a minimum roster # you must start the season with? An interesting idea to get some more looks for other guys if legal. This whole idea is based on a 20 man roster, very tight as it has been in past years. I think they want to keep as many guys around as possible and minimize losses to waivers (Leafs most claimed team over the years by a mile).

Will Engvall be able to start game 1?
What will it take to activate Lily once healthy?
Will there be a trade we don't expect? Justin Holl and make all the cap frustration go away? (not sure if it's smart to trade only health RHD. But who sits when Lily is back?
I think it's smart to keep as many Dman as possible.
Will there be another injury that allows them to stay afloat for a little longer with LTIR use?
Could they wait to sign ZAR and use Robertson 2LW and Gaudette 4LW? with Robertson being Waivers Exempt ( I don't think it's smart not to sign him)
Random thought and I'm not sure how SOIR works but is there an opportunity for cap relief from placing Joseph Woll on SOIR?
Should be interesting. This also assumes waiving Simmonds (900K) , Clifford (762.5K).
I assume some minor league contracts might be moved to open up contract space for future signings (Knies, Deadline deal etc.) unless someone gets claimed off waivers.
Let me know what you think about this and if you have any ideas
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$850,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$82,430,616$212,500$0$69,384
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 9, 2022 at 3:39 a.m.
56 years and countin
All signs point to Kerfoot on his way out... Robertson has stepped up enough to get a roster spot, Kampf proving himself to be a good third line centre, and Malgin also deserves a spot, plus they need all the d they can get especially with an older d core and injuries. They need to get under the cap also
Oct. 9, 2022 at 4:11 a.m.
I'm actually really high on Kerfoot and I think the organization is also. I think trading kerfoot is just the easy way out of the cap crunch but you lose a valuable player and part of the room. He's their NHLPA rep and he wears an A during pre season games. He's a really useful player. Would hate to see him go. I agree Robertson has stepped up a lot this pre-season.. he's waivers exempt which is nice. I'd be fine with waiving Guadette and moving Robertson to 2LW, would get them even closer to the LTIR pool because he has a 792K or something. Now that I think about it, i prefer Robertson 2LW. Gaudette could clear and would be easily replaceable. If injuries happen you could shift the lineup (Kampf 3C) and a lot of marlies could step into the fourth line role (really liked Steeves and Holmberg in camp) Malgin also showed that he has the skill to do so. Only thing is we haven't seen either of Robertson or Malgin against the top competition in the NHL. It'll get tighter and faster out there. Still really like them both and I think they will play for the leafs if not on opening night sometime during the season. I think Kampf could easily play 3C but I'm really curious what Keefe could do with an actual deployable fourth line. They are fast, defensively responsible and actually have some offensive touch too. I agree with you, I think NHL Dman are a premium and we should not explore trading any.
Oct. 9, 2022 at 4:14 a.m.
Quoting: PrisonMike
All signs point to Kerfoot on his way out... Robertson has stepped up enough to get a roster spot, Kampf proving himself to be a good third line centre, and Malgin also deserves a spot, plus they need all the d they can get especially with an older d core and injuries. They need to get under the cap also

I'm actually really high on Kerfoot and I think the organization is also. I think trading kerfoot is just the easy way out of the cap crunch but you lose a valuable player and part of the room. He's their NHLPA rep and he wears an A during pre season games. He's a really useful player. Would hate to see him go. I agree Robertson has stepped up a lot this pre-season.. he's waivers exempt which is nice. I'd be fine with waiving Guadette and moving Robertson to 2LW, would get them even closer to the LTIR pool because he has a 792K or something. Now that I think about it, i prefer Robertson 2LW. Gaudette could clear and would be easily replaceable. If injuries happen you could shift the lineup (Kampf 3C) and a lot of marlies could step into the fourth line role (really liked Steeves and Holmberg in camp) Malgin also showed that he has the skill to do so. Only thing is we haven't seen either of Robertson or Malgin against the top competition in the NHL. It'll get tighter and faster out there. Still really like them both and I think they will play for the leafs if not on opening night sometime during the season. I think Kampf could easily play 3C but I'm really curious what Keefe could do with an actual deployable fourth line. They are fast, defensively responsible and actually have some offensive touch too. I agree with you, I think NHL Dman are a premium and we should not explore trading any.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll