Forums/Armchair-GM

Heinola To The Moose Unfortunately

Created by: Jets33
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 10, 2022
Published: Oct. 10, 2022
Team: 2022-23 Winnipeg Jets
Description
I have no idea what Bowness sees in Stanley (other than he’s tall) that indicates he’s been any better than Heinola. Hopefully he’s only going to be the 7th defensemen and Samberg plays with Schmidt instead. I don’t think I can take a full season of a Stanley-Schmidt pairing.
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$78,407,857$0$2,050,000$4,092,143

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
Connor, Kyle
$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 4
Scheifele, Mark
$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Ehlers, Nikolaj
$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Perfetti, Cole
$894,167
LW, C
RFA - 2
Dubois, Pierre-Luc
$6,000,000
C
RFA - 1
Wheeler, Blake
$8,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Barron, Morgan
$925,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
Lowry, Adam
$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Appleton, Mason
$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 3
Jonsson-Fjällby, Axel
$750,000
LW
RFA - 1
Gustafsson, David
$775,000
C
RFA - 2
Gagner, Sam
$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Morrissey, Joshua
$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
DeMelo, Dylan
$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Hellebuyck, Connor
$6,166,666
G
UFA - 2
Dillon, Brenden
$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 2
Pionk, Neal
$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
Rittich, David
$900,000
G
UFA - 1
Samberg, Dylan
$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
Schmidt, Nate
$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Toninato, Dominic
$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Stanley, Logan
$900,000
LD
RFA - 1
Capobianco, Kyle
$762,500
LD
RFA - 2

Special Teams

Power Play 1
Ehlers, N.
Dubois, P.
Connor, K.
Scheifele, M.
Morrissey, J.
Power Play 2
Wheeler, B.
Gagner, S.
Perfetti, C.
Pionk, N.
Schmidt, N.
Penalty Kill 1
Lowry, A.
Appleton, M.
Dillon, B.
DeMelo, D.
Penalty Kill 2
Jonsson-Fjällby, A.
Gagner, S.
Morrissey, J.
Samberg, D.

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 10, 2022 at 6:29 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
"Stanley" cup... Hello? Whats so difficult to see about this?.. 🙄
Oct. 10, 2022 at 6:29 p.m.
Heinola is waiver protected while Stanley is not. Stanley will be the 7th defender and Samberg makes the team. If you look at how the d core is shaped Samberg makes more sense than heinola tbh
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Oct. 10, 2022 at 7:09 p.m.
How was Capobianco so much better than Kovacevic in training camp for Bowness and Cheveldayoff to decide to carry two LD scratches instead of one RD and LD?
Oct. 10, 2022 at 7:20 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
How was Capobianco so much better than Kovacevic in training camp for Bowness and Cheveldayoff to decide to carry two LD scratches instead of one RD and LD?

Yeah it just makes no sense to me, not that Kovacevic is a huge loss and I did think Capobianco played well in pre-season but I would've totally utilized waiver exemption to my advantage and sent the likes of Barron, Heinola down and kept Kovacevic, Harkins up. To me this season isn't make or break for those young guys and the season won't be won or lost by them so I'd be trying to keep as many of my young assets as possible.

Honestly was anyone claiming Capobianco? Not likely, big RHD's aren't exactly a dime a dozen but #6/7 LHD pretty much are.

Also so much for the idea that the best players were staying and if you didn't have a good camp you were AHL bound, Barron barely played and he got a spot .. lol
Mr_Canoehead and Jets33 liked this.
Oct. 10, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Yeah it just makes no sense to me, not that Kovacevic is a huge loss and I did think Capobianco played well in pre-season but I would've totally utilized waiver exemption to my advantage and sent the likes of Barron, Heinola down and kept Kovacevic, Harkins up. To me this season isn't make or break for those young guys and the season won't be won or lost by them so I'd be trying to keep as many of my young assets as possible.

Honestly was anyone claiming Capobianco? Not likely, big RHD's aren't exactly a dime a dozen but #6/7 LHD pretty much are.

Also so much for the idea that the best players were staying and if you didn't have a good camp you were AHL bound, Barron barely played and he got a spot .. lol

I hope one of the beat reporters ask Cheveldayoff about that move -- choosing Capobianco over Kovacevic -- in his season opening press conference. Granted, we're just going to get a word salad in return but the question needs to be asked. Barron's injury was a built-in excuse to send him down to protect non-waivers exempt assets but they chose not to do it for some reason. I guess once Jonsson-Fjällby gets his work visa (according to Orlesky until that happens he doesn't count on the roster), then Menalanen will be sent down even though it should probably be Barron.
Oct. 10, 2022 at 10:24 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I hope one of the beat reporters ask Cheveldayoff about that move -- choosing Capobianco over Kovacevic -- in his season opening press conference. Granted, we're just going to get a word salad in return but the question needs to be asked. Barron's injury was a built-in excuse to send him down to protect non-waivers exempt assets but they chose not to do it for some reason. I guess once Jonsson-Fjällby gets his work visa (according to Orlesky until that happens he doesn't count on the roster), then Menalanen will be sent down even though it should probably be Barron.

So a team with pretty much too many NHL dmen that are mostly left handed who also has almost too many D prospects that are also mostly left handed signs a LHD in the offseason that most assumed was for depth for the AHL even though their AHL team has more then enough dmen already actually decided this guy should be on the NHL team, how does any of this make any sense?

Turning waiver exempt Barron into a 3LW is beyond mind numbingly stupid, he should be the 1 or 2C with the Moose developing his two-way game and the first callup if an injury happens or Gus isn't getting it done, he can be a full time Jet next season. Even if he has some success I'll still think it was the wrong move, this turning centers into wingers has to stop.

Can't imagine Maenelanen will be too impressed with a demotion to the Moose, wonder if he's got an out clause in his contract.

Any word on if that Heinola trade request has been made yet?
Oct. 11, 2022 at 4:34 a.m.
Edited Oct. 11, 2022 at 4:52 a.m.
So a team with pretty much too many NHL dmen that are mostly left handed who also has almost too many D prospects that are also mostly left handed signs a LHD in the offseason that most assumed was for depth for the AHL even though their AHL team has more then enough dmen already actually decided this guy should be on the NHL team, how does any of this make any sense?

Turning waiver exempt Barron into a 3LW is beyond mind numbingly stupid, he should be the 1 or 2C with the Moose developing his two-way game and the first callup if an injury happens or Gus isn't getting it done, he can be a full time Jet next season. Even if he has some success I'll still think it was the wrong move, this turning centers into wingers has to stop.

Can't imagine Maenelanen will be too impressed with a demotion to the Moose, wonder if he's got an out clause in his contract.

Any word on if that Heinola trade request has been made yet?

I think Maenalanen would be disappointed if he gets dropped before game 1, but he I can see him sticking it out for the season to see if he gets a call up, as he is 28 and this is his last chance at the NHL. If I have read the waivers calculator correctly, Maenalanen has only 7 games to go before he loses his waivers exempt status so if there is an injury in the bottom 6 or Jonsson-Fjällby doesn't pan out then Maenalanen might stick in the NHL if he plays well during a call up. Edit: To be fair to the Jets, at least with Jonsson-Fjällby they are going to play a player that is younger and they have more team control over.

I haven't read or heard anything about Heinola, but he can't be pleased about this.

Separately, imagine how many Matt Hendricks you could get for $14.7 million at the deadline wink

masterjuddi and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 9:11 a.m.
power forward
While it is unfortunate, I can see why they would send Heinola. I would say Heinola is really good offensively but bad defensively. And Bowness is a defensive-oriented coach.

As long as Stanley doesn't make the opening night roster and Gustafsson does I'll be happy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stanley get demoted down.

I would rather have Samberg make it over Stanley. I would say Stanley had the worst preseason between him, Heinola, and Samberg.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 9:52 a.m.

I wasnt happy when they put Kovaceic on waivers. Makes no sense to draft and develop a player, then when theres a spot for him, they give it to a new guy on a minimum deal. Maybe he's better, but I wanted to see Kovacevic get a legit shot
Oct. 11, 2022 at 10:40 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: masterjuddi
I wasnt happy when they put Kovaceic on waivers. Makes no sense to draft and develop a player, then when theres a spot for him, they give it to a new guy on a minimum deal. Maybe he's better, but I wanted to see Kovacevic get a legit shot

I also agree with you, but I'm pretty sure its because Bowness put Capo in all special team situations. I honestly think Capo will be a healthy scratch, given the lineups in training camp.
masterjuddi liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I think Maenalanen would be disappointed if he gets dropped before game 1, but he I can see him sticking it out for the season to see if he gets a call up, as he is 28 and this is his last chance at the NHL. If I have read the waivers calculator correctly, Maenalanen has only 7 games to go before he loses his waivers exempt status so if there is an injury in the bottom 6 or Jonsson-Fjällby doesn't pan out then Maenalanen might stick in the NHL if he plays well during a call up. Edit: To be fair to the Jets, at least with Jonsson-Fjällby they are going to play a player that is younger and they have more team control over.

I haven't read or heard anything about Heinola, but he can't be pleased about this.

Separately, imagine how many Matt Hendricks you could get for $14.7 million at the deadline wink

The accruing cap space thing is difficult to understand, really don't get that aspect of the cap.
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
Kansler
The accruing cap space thing is difficult to understand, really don't get that aspect of the cap.

Basically they count the cap every single day.
If you got 3.3M space for the first 145 days of the 186 day regular season I think it goes : 186/41 × 3.3 =14.9M or so.
186 being whole regular season, 41 being days after trade deadline. (My daycount is probably wrong, havent checked this season.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: HelmutCool
Basically they count the cap every single day.
If you got 3.3M space for the first 145 days of the 186 day regular season I think it goes : 186/41 × 3.3 =14.9M or so.
186 being whole regular season, 41 being days after trade deadline. (My daycount is probably wrong, havent checked this season.

So when does a team have to be within the cap limit at the end of the season? Don't they have to be within the $82.5M (or whatever the cap is that season) before the playoffs start?
Oct. 11, 2022 at 3:14 p.m.
Kansler
Edited Oct. 11, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
So when does a team have to be within the cap limit at the end of the season? Don't they have to be within the $82.5M (or whatever the cap is that season) before the playoffs start?

If I understood it right they need to be within cap all season. But as you accrue it part of season -> at trade deadline day you can "spent excess". As its somehow a cumulative awerage.

Please someone correct me if I have misunderstood it.

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/answers/cap-space-accrual

This mentions cap accrual to some extent.
Usually its done through ltir with contending teams.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
Kansler

If you look at the Teams -page. It shows "Projected deadline cap space" the figure changes all season
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 4:09 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: HelmutCool
If you look at the Teams -page. It shows "Projected deadline cap space" the figure changes all season

I just don't get that teams can actually be over the cap, it's like the cap really isn't $82.5M.. lol.. Or that's how I see it anyway.

Like I get it when situations like Kane and Kucherov happen but the Jets potentially having $14.7M at the TDL when right now they only have $3.3M in cap space doesn't make sense to me. I also understand guys are acquired at a pro rated amount or there's retention involved to lower the cap hit but it still doesn't make sense to my simpleton brain.. lol 😆

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll