SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 season Discussion

Nov. 27, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Saskleaf
If it can be avoided though, it saves a year of giving out a much bigger contract.

Only if they are elite immediatly - which most arent. For the rest it means they have less leverage and we get a cheaper 2nd deal
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 27, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Random2152
Only if they are elite immediatly - which most arent. For the rest it means they have less leverage and we get a cheaper 2nd deal

Fair enough.
Nov. 27, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
Anybody know if the Coyotes have a deadline for the decision on whether they want the Leafs 3rd this year or their 2nd in '25? I can't find anything which has me assuming they've got until draft day, but it'd be nice to know what pick the Leafs can/can't trade by the TDL.
Nov. 27, 2022 at 4:27 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Anybody know if the Coyotes have a deadline for the decision on whether they want the Leafs 3rd this year or their 2nd in '25? I can't find anything which has me assuming they've got until draft day, but it'd be nice to know what pick the Leafs can/can't trade by the TDL.

They have literally until the pick comes up i think - same as the sens drafting Tkachuk vs sending the pick to COL
Nov. 27, 2022 at 5:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly through looking at all potential deadline deals Nino Niederreiter might just make the most sense

1 more year after this at a nice 4mill cap hit

Should maybe cost our 2024 2nd and a B level prospect (Hirvonen, Voit, etc) and throw in kerfoot to make the cap work

Or **** it trade Kerfoot for whatever and go for a Kids line

As idk why but Knies-Holmberg-Robertson just screams fun times
Nov. 27, 2022 at 6:57 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
It crushes me that we have not had any playoff success with this core but god damn we have been spoiled as fans with just how good they really are.

FilVQxAXwAMOEcu?format=jpg&name=large
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 27, 2022 at 8:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
It crushes me that we have not had any playoff success with this core but god damn we have been spoiled as fans with just how good they really are.

FilVQxAXwAMOEcu?format=jpg&name=large

I feel the Tampa series has changed them for the better (well besides the taking the day off against bad teams)

As their commitment to defense this year has been insane. Forwards comeback help the Dman rather than cheat offense

And this has especially been noticed when Rielly and Brodie went down

Goaltending looks good (even Kallgren (well besides the NYI game) keeps us alive), Sandin and Liligren have started taking another step.

So far so good. Im just waiting till the TDL or whenever Dubas decides to make a serious trade. As while they have been good there are areas to improve on and bringing in upgrades can help (i.e. move on from Kerfoot and bring in a scoring 2-way wing)
Saskleaf, oneX and palhal liked this.
Nov. 27, 2022 at 8:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
My friend made a funny joke

He said Kerfoot is this year's Ritchie. Keefe tries everything and nothing works with him this year. Now only diff is Kerfoot still has PK uses backing up Kampf as out 2nd C. But anyways he jokingly said watch Kerfoot get traded to another team and start producing and I was like I would not be surprised if that happened as an almost identical situation is happening. Only diff no waivers

But still if there is a way to package him off for an upgrade its not a bad idea to explore it
Nov. 28, 2022 at 1:52 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

As their commitment to defense this year has been insane. Forwards comeback help the Dman rather than cheat offense

And this has especially been noticed when Rielly and Brodie went down

Yes it has been very noticeable that the forwards are helping out the D and the truth is, once Rielly and Brodie are back, this needs to continue. They can't get relaxed in thinking that with the 2 of them back the cheating on defense can resume.

The forward group (especially the core 4) are so talented that trying to cheat on defense really just does not make sense. They will get their opportunities to score plenty, just have to make sure the other side of their game is top notch.
palhal liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 12:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
People ****ting on Murray's net thing but hey Friedman to the rescue

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1597239833625526273

As man in that Wild game especially both goalies knocked the net off through making a save. Teams got to start hiring better post workers
Nov. 28, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

It boggles my mind why the Leafs won’t do this with Robertson. This kid needs to be playing.

#freeRobertson
Nov. 28, 2022 at 2:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

It boggles my mind why the Leafs won’t do this with Robertson. This kid needs to be playing.

#freeRobertson

Keefe seems to like to use Robertson in certain matchups. When a teams got 1 or 2 guys that bash and crash hes in the pressbox. When its just a team who plays like us hes in

Not the best thing as hes gonna have to learn to play against all teams even the very physical ones

With Marlies struggling he should go down along with Hollowell

As while hes looked okay Timmins has more experience. Let him play with Mete or whover's the 3rd pair LD
Nov. 28, 2022 at 2:17 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Keefe seems to like to use Robertson in certain matchups. When a teams got 1 or 2 guys that bash and crash hes in the pressbox. When its just a team who plays like us hes in

Not the best thing as hes gonna have to learn to play against all teams even the very physical ones

With Marlies struggling he should go down along with Hollowell

As while hes looked okay Timmins has more experience. Let him play with Mete or whover's the 3rd pair LD

Marlies are 1st in the North Division 🤷‍♂️ They are not struggling

Robertson has played in 11 games and scratched for 10. I get not putting him into the lineup NOW, the lines are starting to form. But for a kid who has battle injuries the past two seasons, PLAYING is incredible important for his development.

NHL salary be damned
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 2:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 28, 2022 at 2:52 p.m.
Marlies are 1st in the North Division 🤷‍♂️ They are not struggling

Robertson has played in 11 games and scratched for 10. I get not putting him into the lineup NOW, the lines are starting to form. But for a kid who has battle injuries the past two seasons, PLAYING is incredible important for his development.

NHL salary be damned

Petruzzelli since going back has not looked good and while their present record has been good its mainly hinged on earlier results. Rn they dont look as sharp and if goaltending continues to struggle yeah they gonna drop. Hopefully Woll or Cavellin can stabilize things but yeah since signing his deal not a great showcase for petruzzelli. Hopefully he rebounds

As for Robertson Cushman made the points clear on it. While he does give u offense, defensively its just not enough to be a regular. Leafs are committed to team defense rn and the main thing is Engvall and Kerfoot PK and are good defensively. I would send Robertson to the AHL until an injury happens and that is where he can go k I should start learning or practicing how to PK. As if Nylander is on the 4th PK unit how hard can it be for him to try.

As in general to be a full time every day member on Keefe's team he wants more than just offense. Defense must also be an important part to your game which is understandable.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 7:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 28, 2022 at 7:25 p.m.
Matthews with a Dang-IT

Actually will give it to that entire line and Dpair besides Hollowell who actually tried as what was that effort to clear the crease lul.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 7:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Matthews with a Dang-IT

Actually will give it to that entire line and Dpair besides Hollowell who actually tried

Then he makes up for it. Love it
Nov. 28, 2022 at 7:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
With the way Sandin has stepped up its gonna be interesting to see what happens when Reilly returns. As with his point shot I feel Sandin should stay
Nov. 28, 2022 at 7:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not a fan of the exits but except for the first 5mins team is doing well defensively to make up for it. Need to find their inner center like they did against the Penguins as that is how they should play every night.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 8:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 28, 2022 at 8:41 p.m.
Not a fan of the exits but except for the first 5mins team is doing well defensively to make up for it. Need to find their inner center like they did against the Penguins as that is how they should play every night.

Despite the fact they are winning not a fan of the game they are playing bit to sloppy tonight and with DET having more offensive zone time yeah time to wake up a bit more

And taking a to many men penalty is just lazy

Thank god for Murray though as man some of the dzone turnovers this game easily could have lead to goals
Nov. 28, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Switching Marner and Nylander has made both lines super dangerous again. Murray has been pretty close to dominant since coming back from injury, really like where this team is trending right now. Getting Benn and Brodie back is only going to strength this group
Saskleaf and oneX liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not the best win of the season but hey Matt Murray keeps rewarding Dubas
Nov. 28, 2022 at 9:42 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Mitch Marner may be the single most important forward on the Maple Leafs roster. Offensive machine, defensive horse, fantastic skater, hands of silk, 30 goal upside, and a great leader. He is so overhated it's not even funny.
MatthewsFan and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 9:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Switching Marner and Nylander has made both lines super dangerous again. Murray has been pretty close to dominant since coming back from injury, really like where this team is trending right now. Getting Benn and Brodie back is only going to strength this group

Yeah either needs to come back as im just not a fan of Mete-Hollowell. Mete especially has not impressed me. Hollowell on the other hand has made some very smart plays

Would like to see

Brodie-Holl
Gio-Liligren
Sandin-Timmins
Nov. 28, 2022 at 9:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 28, 2022 at 9:56 p.m.
Leafs go to New Jersey kill a 13 game win streak

Go to Pittsburgh kill a 5 game win streak

Go to Detroit killing a 4 game win streak and expose them as frauds

Almost all on the back of Murray got to love it
Nov. 28, 2022 at 10:05 p.m.