SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 season Discussion

Nov. 28, 2022 at 10:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
And people hated the Murray trade lmao

Also happy #1000!

I firmly believed Ottawa was the main problem leaving him to dry and resulting in his health/injury issues. If u listen to interviews he indirectly throws the org under the bus numerous times. And while he did get hurt here it seems we did something right with his care as he has been so good since coming back (way better than Mrazek am I right wink)

And if u watch how hes playing its very similar to how he was during that one month stretch in Ottawa only with a better team in front of him he gets more support and just keeps piling on wins weird huh

League should be scared as once Samsonov comes back Leafs could potentially have a Jennings tandem
leafs101 and oneX liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 10:20 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Not taking anything away from Murray or Samsonov but going to give a shout out to Sanford also. Leafs needed a new voice.
aadoyle, leafs101, NorthernLeafsFan05 and 2 others liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 10:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Not taking anything away from Murray or Samsonov but going to give a shout out to Sanford also. Leafs needed a new voice.

Sanford seems to have found a way to get the best out of 2 goalies everyone laughed at and called Dubas a fool for gambling on

So far both goalies have looked really good and while still early hey if both guys continue to play well he may have potentially helped us win our first Jennings trophy
Nov. 28, 2022 at 10:27 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I firmly believed Ottawa was the main problem leaving him to dry and resulting in his health/injury issues. If u listen to interviews he indirectly throws the org under the bus numerous times. And while he did get hurt here it seems we did something right with his care as he has been so good since coming back (way better than Mrazek am I right wink)

And if u watch how hes playing its very similar to how he was during that one month stretch in Ottawa only with a better team in front of him he gets more support and just keeps piling on wins weird huh

League should be scared as once Samsonov comes back Leafs could potentially have a Jennings tandem

multiple analysts in the offseason: "Leafs have the worst goaltending in Canada"

Prime Matt Murray has returned folks
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 10:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Calle Jarnkrok since being put in the top 6 has looked like the guy I expected to see when he signed

He is looking like the guy who can replace Kase or Mikheyev's production

Makes the TDL more interesting as rn its a toss up what they should go for
Saskleaf and leafs101 liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 11:46 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

You have no idea how right you are.
Garret Sparks liked a tweet ****ting all over the last goalie coach that basically said that every goalie is good for about 3 weeks until he gets his hands on them
Nov. 29, 2022 at 12:23 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
God Leafs are making what we need at the TDL more and more like a needle in a haystack

Ironically the solution may actually be within and not from outside

Like to me rn the third line still does not feel 100% right but maybe the solution is already within the org (i.e. Knies and Robertson come in and make a kid line)
leafs101 liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 9:22 a.m.
God Leafs are making what we need at the TDL more and more like a needle in a haystack

Ironically the solution may actually be within and not from outside

Like to me rn the third line still does not feel 100% right but maybe the solution is already within the org (i.e. Knies and Robertson come in and make a kid line)

maybe. I think a high end 3C is the one piece that would really set the forward group apart, and unless Holmberg really pops off (he has been good but I'm talking like truly elite stud level) that would be what I'd go for. Like go get a top 6 center and throw him there and now it's literally impossible to match up against this team
Nov. 29, 2022 at 11:59 a.m.
Which witch is which
Nobody I knew or followed thought Murray and Samsonov were a good idea. granted injuries were always a potential problem, but that's par for the course for every player in every position. You can't control that stuff.
Imagine if we still had Campbell... a 2nd string goaltender who was protected by a lethal offense that padded his win loss record. I think Edmonton is regretting that deal as the lethality of MacDavid/Draisitl disappears after they skate off the ice. At least Toronto has a 2nd combination of offense.
leafs101 and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 12:11 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Iggwilv
Nobody I knew or followed thought Murray and Samsonov were a good idea. granted injuries were always a potential problem, but that's par for the course for every player in every position. You can't control that stuff.
Imagine if we still had Campbell... a 2nd string goaltender who was protected by a lethal offense that padded his win loss record. I think Edmonton is regretting that deal as the lethality of MacDavid/Draisitl disappears after they skate off the ice. At least Toronto has a 2nd combination of offense.

Quoting: Nathaniel
All of that aside, I am genuinely stoked about the start of this season. I am a huge believer in our goalies, and even if they do suck, they just need to be better than last year. I think our forward core got significantly better depth wise, especially considering we still have Robertson as an option in the near future and Knies as another option a little further down the stretch if needed. There are a lot of young guys vying to come up and make an impact as well, which is something that really excites me considering it feels like forever since thats been the case. Our defense is also vastly improved from last year, as despite it being made up of more or less the same guys, we've got Gio, Sandin, and Liljegren all signed for a combined 3.6 mil, which is just insanely good value. I completely agree with all your points, but I think we'll do better than you anticipate. Granted this is the Toronto Maple Leafs, so anything can happen. I look forward to coming back to this throughout the season and reading over the changing mindsets as the seasons go on. It'll be fun to come back and laugh at my inevitably bad takes that age like milk. We still see. Go Leafs!

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but...
MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Nathaniel
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but...

Smiliar deal here. My only complaint was that the Sens didnt pay a 3rd team to retain an additional 37.5%. In my mocks I even had us getting the 3rd back lol. That 2nd part seems really prescient now

"I actually like the bet on Murray after the season he just had (when healthy) but this isn't enough retention or assets coming back for it to be worth it.

The most important part of this trade isn't Murray, but the new goalie coach we hired. ****ing fix him"
Nov. 29, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Fist_tuWQAAkE-T?format=jpg&name=large

Fisc8_DXEAAfRx9?format=jpg&name=900x900
Nov. 29, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Robertson in Malgin out for SJS game

Also its Timmins time
Nov. 29, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
How Nick Kypreos has a job at sportsnet and a show still blows my mind

Remember

Leafs should trade Marner
Leafs will go into 2022-2023 season with Mrazek/Kallgren
Leafs 100% trading for Chycrun
Leafs should fight more
Our D isnt good

And now the silly Matthews talk

That said I dont think he actually means everything he says but he does it to gain attention and stir the pot for VIEWS. Still just get rid of him and go Bourne and someone else show
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
You know I just really want to highlight Liljegren right now.

He isnt as flashy as Sandin is (between big hits and cool offensive plays) but he is a lot like Brodie in that he is just that quiet D who is crazy effective at literally everything and who usually gets a 4-5 mil contract and low key is a top 10 D in the league at times.

He just makes everyone around him look so good
Saskleaf, MatthewsFan, NorthernLeafsFan05 and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
How Nick Kypreos has a job at sportsnet and a show still blows my mind

Remember

Leafs should trade Marner
Leafs will go into 2022-2023 season with Mrazek/Kallgren
Leafs 100% trading for Chycrun
Our D isnt good

And now the silly Matthews talk

That said I dont think he actually means everything he says but he does it to gain attention and stir the pot for VIEWS.

Leafs are good and the Murray post thing is over. Need to generate headlines to draw in the bagheads somehow
Nov. 29, 2022 at 1:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Leafs are good and the Murray post thing is over. Need to generate headlines to draw in the bagheads somehow

Yep and its now onto Matthews and leaving

"I think a lot of people believe AM could leave" who did you ask other GM's and fanbases of course they gonna say hes gonna leave lul
Nov. 29, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I wonder if Philly's season keeps going south would they explore a Konecney trade
Nov. 29, 2022 at 1:54 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Yep and its now onto Matthews and leaving

"I think a lot of people believe AM could leave" who did you ask other GM's and fanbases of course they gonna say hes gonna leave lul

Its funny because most insiders who actually have sources have pivoted towards Matthews staying in Toronto.
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Its funny because most insiders who actually have sources have pivoted towards Matthews staying in Toronto.

I feel he stays and we either see one of 2 paths

He signs another 5 year deal (he apparently hates max deals) to maximize his earnings (So 12.5mill x 5 years) or we see him relent and sign an 8 year 14.34mill contract
Nov. 29, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
You know I just really want to highlight Liljegren right now.

He isnt as flashy as Sandin is (between big hits and cool offensive plays) but he is a lot like Brodie in that he is just that quiet D who is crazy effective at literally everything and who usually gets a 4-5 mil contract and low key is a top 10 D in the league at times.

He just makes everyone around him look so good

The Leafs have Giordano, Liljegren, and Sandin locked up for ANOTHER season at $3.6M TOTAL is amazing.

No General Manager out there is perfect but last year the Leafs set a franchise record for wins and points. This year the Leafs are on track to become both the lowest-scoring and best-defending edition, as measured by goals for (3.04) and against (2.54).

Dubas has put a good team together, has a strong group of prospects, and has minimized long-term risk with the current contracts.

Yes this is a results driven business, playoff success maters, but the Leafs will be crazy if they let Kyle go.

I am guilty of letting the lows (October record for the last two years is 8-8-3) and highs (November record for the last two years is 22-3-3) of getting to me.

But the fact of the matter the Leafs IMO are better of with Dubas than without. I hope we see a new contract for him sooner rather than later.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 2:27 p.m.
Go leafs go
The Leafs have Giordano, Liljegren, and Sandin locked up for ANOTHER season at $3.6M TOTAL is amazing.

No General Manager out there is perfect but last year the Leafs set a franchise record for wins and points. This year the Leafs are on track to become both the lowest-scoring and best-defending edition, as measured by goals for (3.04) and against (2.54).

Dubas has put a good team together, has a strong group of prospects, and has minimized long-term risk with the current contracts.

Yes this is a results driven business, playoff success maters, but the Leafs will be crazy if they let Kyle go.

I am guilty of letting the lows (October record for the last two years is 8-8-3) and highs (November record for the last two years is 22-3-3) of getting to me.

But the fact of the matter the Leafs IMO are better of with Dubas than without. I hope we see a new contract for him sooner rather than later.

I’m not anti Dubas. But signing him now would be a big mistake. You need to wait until after a playoff round has been won until you resign him. If that doesn’t happen, then I don’t see how you can justify keeping him. I hope they just actually get it done in the playoffs and he stays.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 2:28 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Saskleaf
I’m not anti Dubas. But signing him now would be a big mistake. You need to wait until after a playoff round has been won until you resign him. If that doesn’t happen, then I don’t see how you can justify keeping him. I hope they just actually get it done in the playoffs and he stays.

Just curious, who would you like instead?
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quick vent about Keefe.

He's wasting development time with Robertson right now. I understand not making changes to the line-up because you're winning, but playing him a game here, game there and having him in the press box does nothing for him. How is he supposed to get into a rhythm?

He's going to draw back in tomorrow, but with Kampf and ZAR. An offensive minded forward playing on a defensive minded line. Blowing my mind right now.
Saskleaf and MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 29, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
Go leafs go
Just curious, who would you like instead?

That’s probably the biggest issue with getting rid of him. I have no idea who would be a good replacement. But I just don’t see how you can justify losing 5 straight years in the first round either.

Hopefully they just win and this isn’t an issue. They do actually seem legit this year. I know we say that every year but this year feels different.
oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll