SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Philadelphia Flyers signed Travis Sanheim (8 Years / $6,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 14, 2022 at 1:50 p.m.
Banned
Awful for a 35 pt dman. I don't get the love.
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Oct. 14, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
The votes are mostly negative, but the comments seem mostly positive. That's a weird weird result.

Just looking at his stats, it seems a little high, this early in the year. He'll be 27 when the contract starts and it won't finish till he's 35. I don't know if this makes sense.
Oct. 14, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
People are saying this is an overpay, but personally I would have been asking for way more than this to be coached by Torts

Sachem is probably thinking he has to put with Torts for two years. Torts just loves to fired, gets paid for not working at NHL coaching, then is TV analyst and looks very smart, then gets rehired as an NHL coach. Then the cycle continues. What a great gig he created for himself.
Oct. 14, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
Alex Bump Truther
Quoting: Hammerwise
A little steep, but really hes coming off a career year and is in his prime years. I kind of thought he'd be in the 5.5-5.75 for 4-5 years range.

But considering Buffalo signed a guy (Samuelsson) with just 12 pts in 55 games NHL experience OVER THREE SEASONS to 4.28mil for 7 yrs, or Klingberg coming off a bad year getting 7mil for 1 yr, then Sanheim getting 6.25 makes sense. Theres other comparables, and maybe about 1mil too much, but maybe thats what struggling teams pay. IMO, about 500k and 2 yrs too much, but with the cap expected growth, its Really not a bad deal.

It also has to be in line with the team cap structure and "vision".

AGE and CONTRACT LENGTH: Philly has just 1 dman (expiring UFA Justin braun) over the age of 28 yrs old. Without Braun or probable NHL youngster Cam York their average age on defense is still just 25 yrs old. So the idea isnt that they cant move somebody but their young defense to develop is around for at least 2 yrs or more. Their defense (other than UFA Braun and DeAngelo with 2 yrs) is signed for 4 yrs or more and will either cement the defense as the team builds or be dealt for fairly good return with cap growth.

Its also about PAY STRUCTURE AND FUTURE VISION, Provorov is a first pair guy at 6.75, DeAngelo at 5, Sanheim at 6.25, Risto at 5.5, with Cam York, Zamula, Attard, Andrae, etc... on the way. So realistically their collective defense of seven guys makes about 26 mil and their top 4 guys are locked in at about 23mil long term (with an expanding cap). Thats pretty good for any team now and moving forward, even better.

Philly doesnt have a superstar, but with guys like Gautheir, Foerster, Brink, York, Andrae thats some good bluechips, with alot of intriguing possibilities in Attard, Zamula, Kaplan, Wisdom, Tuomaala, Desnoyes, Tippett, Frost, Allison, Cates.... so if they can sign long term the defense, (and they now have no UFAs of note to worry about next offseason), it allows them to play and evaluate the youth they have now (with alot of it at forward).

Hampus Lindholm is a very similar comparable in stats and playstyle and got 6.5 x 8 this was a fair contract for sanheim. Its not bad by any means but in terms of receiving assets he would've been better served being traded.
Hammerwise liked this.
Oct. 14, 2022 at 4:08 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
The moves Chuck has been making seem to indicate that Philly still thinks they're a contender or at least a playoff team. I'm no expert, but man I really don't see if with this squad.
Oct. 22, 2022 at 3:01 p.m.
No Trade Protection (that I can see listed) so it will always be an asset / trading chip for Flyers. If it goes full rebuild mode some team would be happy to pick up a solid D-Man at at market value contract. As years go by Cap hit will seem cheaper with cap probably going up.
Hammerwise liked this.
Mar. 11, 2023 at 6:22 p.m.
Quoting: Farabee
8 years is a little much but this is a pretty good contract. FWIW I wanted him traded, I don't get why we keep denying these assets we could be getting.

@ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR Thank you for liking this and bringing me back here. WOW was I completely wrong 😂😂 Honestly at the time I think I was trying to look on the bright side. Knew it wasnt very good from the start.
Mar. 11, 2023 at 6:30 p.m.
Alex Bump Truther
Quoting: Farabee
ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR Thank you for liking this and bringing me back here. WOW was I completely wrong 😂😂 Honestly at the time I think I was trying to look on the bright side. Knew it wasnt very good from the start.

haha I mean I agreed at the time. I still think the contract is fine not good, and not a steal. The term is bad but kinda standard. Wish we never signed it though never made sense in terms of where we were and York was the clear successor. Hopefully if he's with us he bounces back, but also hopefully he's not with us lol.
Farabee liked this.
Mar. 11, 2023 at 11:35 p.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
haha I mean I agreed at the time. I still think the contract is fine not good, and not a steal. The term is bad but kinda standard. Wish we never signed it though never made sense in terms of where we were and York was the clear successor. Hopefully if he's with us he bounces back, but also hopefully he's not with us lol.

I think he goes. Torts really doesn't seem to like him very much at all.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit