SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #3: The Toronto Maple LTI's

Oct. 28, 2022 at 6:01 a.m.
What in tarnation
Couldn't watch the game tonight as I had to wake up early but Go Stars!

Otter getting a shutout with Heiskanen on the sidelines is certainly something.
zk97, EsoYeezus69 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 6:27 a.m.
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
In the 2021 NHL draft , what if the Canadiens passed on Mailloux and took Logan Stankoven instead
Would the habs have chosen Mailloux at 26th in 2022?
I think , yes

Nope, Montreal picked Mailloux because they knew he wouldn’t be there at their next pick, another team would’ve picked him up in the 2nd
zk97 liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 8:41 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
we need bedard. i would totally be fine with a tank. how would we do it though
Oct. 28, 2022 at 9:33 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
I feel Ethan Bear is either gonna be a Canuck or Leaf by next week

As with Muzzin out and Canucks Dcore suffering all those injuries makes sense to go get a guy who wants to play. And it probs wont cost a whole lot either

He'll be a Capital because they love to fix things that aren't the biggest problem
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 9:33 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: justaBoss
Couldn't watch the game tonight as I had to wake up early but Go Stars!

Otter getting a shutout with Heiskanen on the sidelines is certainly something.

The Capitals were too busy waiting for their nap time to care
capsfan2121 and justaBoss liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
how good was prime erik karlsson. was he better than makar is right now?
yikes liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121

Prime Erik Karlsson was the best defenseman in the league for a solid 6 years minimum. Robbed of at least 2, arguably 3 Norris trophies. Best player in the world in spring of 2017 (better than Crosby and McDavid). EK65 walked so Makar could run. Reminds me a lot of EK65’s earlier years, I would say they’re close to comparable right now (edge EK65 because in 2017 he was unbelievable and Makar is probably “only” the 3rd or 4th best player in the world) but I still expect Makar to improve and likely surpass EK65. If McDavid hadn’t thrown down 33 points or whatever in the playoffs we’d probably be talking about last year’s Makar similarly to 2017 Karlsson.
yikes and Tintin liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 11:45 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
The Capitals were too busy waiting for their nap time to care

I don't mind, points for us.

You can enjoy Calum Ritchie or Eduard Sale in the next draft if this keeps up awesome face
Oct. 28, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
Prime Erik Karlsson was the best defenseman in the league for a solid 6 years minimum. Robbed of at least 2, arguably 3 Norris trophies. Best player in the world in spring of 2017 (better than Crosby and McDavid). EK65 walked so Makar could run. Reminds me a lot of EK65’s earlier years, I would say they’re close to comparable right now (edge EK65 because in 2017 he was unbelievable and Makar is probably “only” the 3rd or 4th best player in the world) but I still expect Makar to improve and likely surpass EK65. If McDavid hadn’t thrown down 33 points or whatever in the playoffs we’d probably be talking about last year’s Makar similarly to 2017 Karlsson.

Maybe its my Avs bias but I think Makar is better than Karlsson ever was. 1.12 P/GP in the reg season and 1.45P/GP in the playoffs are both significantly higher than the numbers Karlsson ever put up and Makar did it en route to a cup and conn smythe. And thats only comparing offensive production - looking at defensive play the gap only grows bigger
Oct. 28, 2022 at 12:07 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: justaBoss
I don't mind, points for us.

You can enjoy Calum Ritchie or Eduard Sale in the next draft if this keeps up awesome face

We shall throw the kitchen sink at getting Michkov because russians.

It is already sent in stone
Sklikly and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Sebastian Aho vs Sebastian Aho tonight
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:02 p.m.

VAN, MTL, TOR, FLA, OTT seem like fits to me
justaBoss, DucharmetheDOMinator, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
torontos finest
There are legitimate, reasonable arguments to discuss when talking about the Maple Leafs but sometimes you see something like this:

unknown.png

And have to seriously wonder if the team is legitimately cursed.
zk97 liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:06 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Maybe its my Avs bias but I think Makar is better than Karlsson ever was. 1.12 P/GP in the reg season and 1.45P/GP in the playoffs are both significantly higher than the numbers Karlsson ever put up and Makar did it en route to a cup and conn smythe. And thats only comparing offensive production - looking at defensive play the gap only grows bigger

It’s weird to word it; but imo, Makar is the better… talent? But Karlssons prime reminded me of the greats like Pronger Lidstrom (who I grew up admiring).

Karlsson was obviously a different player - but Karlsson IMPACTED THE GAME like a legend. I can’t say Makar won’t get there (he clearly looks like a legend in the making). But Karlsson quite literally made the Sens a threat and a playoff team. His prime games where things of beauty. He’s so amazing right now it makes me hope he can regain some of that lighting in a bottle just for the fans. He got injured and then a devasting dirty play from Matt Cooke derailed a lot of his career.

But prime Karlsson was nasty. And I’ll always remember this Karlsson hit, it was awesome live.

Like Alfie said; bias aside. Karlsson was the best player on the planet for some periods of time. Not just a moment.
Alfie11, justaBoss, Tintin and 2 others liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:08 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

VAN, MTL, TOR, FLA, OTT seem like fits to me

I’m going with VAN although I’d be cool if the Leafs get him.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.

I mean, in 2017 Ottawa was 1 goal away from likely winning a cup (I don’t think Nashville was beating either East team that year), but the main difference is Makar has Rantanen, MacKinnon, Devon Toews, etc. If you put Makar on the Sens teams EK65 was on, he would maybe put up similar numbers, but he’s never had to hard carry an otherwise mediocre team like Karlsson did. I would say they’re close, and Makar likely passes EK65 soon (like let’s be real, if the voters don’t pull some “everyone gets a lifetime achievement award” bs like they did in the 2010s, the next half dozen Norrises, barring injury, should go to Makar), but EK65’s body of work over the decade was pretty impressive considering his best D partner was Marc Methot (like, would he even crack Colorado’s top 4?) and his 1C was Kyle Turris (who woulda been the Avs’s 3C lol)
yikes, Tintin and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

I have no doubt Makar is going to be a HOF legend - but Karlsson had Turris to Makars MacKinnon, Karlsson had Methot Ceci and Borowiecki and Makar has Toews Byram and Girard. And Stone Mika weren’t the players they grew up to be, compared to Rantanen and Landy who Makar has always had. This isn’t even mentioning the AV’s immense depth.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
What in tarnation
To add my two cents to this Karlsson-Makar comparison - I've been following hockey closely since about 2012 or so. During these 10 years in my opinion prime Karlsson has been the best D-man in the world. Dude was PPG during time when teams scored up to 50 goals less than they do this year. As a D-man.

No D in modern hockey would ever be able to compete for Art Ross, but prime EK in 2015-16 gave a run for people's money at that, finishing 4th in points, tied with Thornton, at 82 points. For the sake of comparison, Josi's 96 point last year wasn't enough for Top10 this year, and Makar's 86 was barely enough to tie for 20th.

Makar is probably the best D-man in the league right now, and it's still early days, but as of now I would call prime Karlsson better. If he was in that form now, I think he'd be easily challenging for 100, maybe 110 points per year. Sadly, injuries and aging have taken the best sharpness out of his ability these days.
Tintin, yikes, NoVaSpartan and 2 others liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
torontos finest

imagine getting drafted into the NHL and your locker room is worse than the one you had in junior.
A_Habs_fan, McGruff, justaBoss and 3 others liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
I have no doubt Makar is going to be a HOF legend - but Karlsson had Turris to Makars MacKinnon, Karlsson had Methot Ceci and Borowiecki and Makar has Toews Byram and Girard. And Stone Mika weren’t the players they grew up to be, compared to Rantanen and Landy who Makar has always had. This isn’t even mentioning the AV’s immense depth.

I mean, in 2017 Ottawa was 1 goal away from likely winning a cup (I don’t think Nashville was beating either East team that year), but the main difference is Makar has Rantanen, MacKinnon, Devon Toews, etc. If you put Makar on the Sens teams EK65 was on, he would maybe put up similar numbers, but he’s never had to hard carry an otherwise mediocre team like Karlsson did. I would say they’re close, and Makar likely passes EK65 soon (like let’s be real, if the voters don’t pull some “everyone gets a lifetime achievement award” bs like they did in the 2010s, the next half dozen Norrises, barring injury, should go to Makar), but EK65’s body of work over the decade was pretty impressive considering his best D partner was Marc Methot (like, would he even crack Colorado’s top 4?) and his 1C was Kyle Turris (who woulda been the Avs’s 3C lol)

Makar definitely has a better supporting cast but theres still such a massive gap in performance

Defensively its not even a question, Makar blows Karlsson out of the water, so realistically the only thing that Karlsson maybe has an edge at is offense, but even that is debatable since Makar has outproduced him. Does a hypothetical 'what if' scenario of Karlsson's production with better teammates trump Makar's actual production with better teammates? Does one point per game season and one magical playoff run where he led his team with 18P in 19GP really negate the difference in defensive play and put Karlsson above Makar who also had a magical run where he led his team with 29P in 20GP? They were/are both their teams best player and while Makar had a better team he also put up much better numbers. Idk what more you can ask for from Makar. Its unfortunate we didnt get to see Karlsson play with the talent Makar gets to but thats not enough to put him over Makar imo
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:34 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: mondo

imagine getting drafted into the NHL and your locker room is worse than the one you had in junior.

Love how they have all those bold inspirational messages for the guys painted masterfully in grey, on the grey walls!
I'd go through a brick wall for this 'orggy' LOL
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo

Thats why I said if Bedard gets drafted by them hes pulling a Lindros

No professional sports player should be reduced to this

My highschool lockerroom back in the day looked nicer
Oct. 28, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

I’d rather be in the visitors
Sklikly liked this.
Oct. 28, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
we need bedard. i would totally be fine with a tank. how would we do it though

This isn't EA Franchise Mode