Forums/Armchair-GM

Flames Trade Deadline Moves

Created by: KingofRnR
Team: 2022-23 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 19, 2022
Published: Oct. 19, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Flames are projected to accumulated $6,051,776 in Cap Space by the Deadline, so I increased the Salary Cap to reflect & include this projected available Cap Space

I see this as being a group Sutter would be extremely happy coaching, hoping he can get both Domi & Beauvillier back to the top of their games

The Taxi Squad is a group of additional Players available for the Playoff Run
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Sutter, Brett
1$750,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Domi, Max
  2. Johnson, Jack
  3. Kane, Patrick ($5,250,000 retained)
  4. 2023 5th round pick (CHI)
  5. 2025 4th round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
Assuming Kane picks CGY as his preferred destination and Treliving is able to avoid having to offer Pelletier, Zary or Coronato since CHI has less leverage given it's Kane who holds all the cards here
CHI
  1. Emilio Pettersen, Mathias
  2. Mackey, Connor
  3. Phillips, Matthew
  4. Pospisil, Martin
  5. Ruzicka, Adam
  6. 2023 1st round pick (CGY)
  7. 2023 2nd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Mackey, Ruzicka & Phillips are all Young NHL Ready Prospects.
Pettersen & Pospisil are very close as well. Mackey, a product of Illinois, can play both LD & RD if needed
CGY
  1. Beauvillier, Anthony ($2,075,000 retained)
  2. Mayfield, Scott
  3. 2024 5th round pick (NYI)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$88,551,786$70,537,500$0$200,000$18,014,286

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,900,000$5,900,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
-$2,625,000-$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,075,000$2,075,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 19, 2022 at 7:48 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: yycofred
"Renting space in your head for free" that just wouldn't be renting then would it?? You're career stupid eh? Not just online.

There is no hate sir, I am just a strong proponent of bullying works in situations like these! You're so backwards and the only thing funnier than your posts are when you try defend them with severe lack luster homerism!

Ruzicka, career bottom 6'er if her gets there, Phillips, career AHL'er/best case scenario Paul Byron, Mackey, 26 year old 7th D man walks to FA in two seasons, MEP, shot in the dark miracle mid 6, Pospisil 22 year old career AHL that has stayed healthy for a whopping 89 games since 2019. Which of those guys is even on the top 100 prospect radar? Most of which cleared waivers!!!! For Patrick Kane...

Read the room, I'm sure it's every single other person on here that is wrong and not you....

Both You & @Isles5513 come across as very angry & troubled people with insecurity & confidence issues. I mean it's a theme on these forums to be insulting and I'm not going to pretend I'm perfect and haven't sunken down to that level of filth that is internet Bullying & Trolling, but I do try to avoid it. It's rather disgusting to be honest.

In any event, I hold my opinion that you are not a Flames Fan, nor do you know the Team, it's Players, Style or Values. If you were a Flames Fan you would know that Sutter values Experienced Veterans over Rookies and that the Flames believe in their Prospects taking time to develop in the AHL, especially Defensemen and they make them earn their playing time in the NHL. They have a very old school mentality when it comes to their young players and while I don't agree with it, it's a fact and the main reason why these players are only afforded very limited and usually only in the Bottom-6. Phillips, Ruzicka, Mackey & Meloche are NHL'ers on most Teams.

The only guy I have pushed that isn't what I said or wanted him to be was Valimaki, he sucks, but other than that, I believe the Flames Prospect Pool to be fairly decent. Matthew Phillip's is good, but he'll never get a chance in Calgary simply because of his size, which is unfortunate and at the end of the day ridiculous imo

See you around, but if you don't like me or my opinion much, feel free to change the channel, ignore or simply avoid me. You don't have to follow me everywhere I go y'know
Oct. 19, 2022 at 7:50 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: KingofRnR
Both You & Isles5513 come across as very angry & troubled people with insecurity & confidence issues. I mean it's a theme on these forums to be insulting and I'm not going to pretend I'm perfect and haven't sunken down to that level of filth that is internet Bullying & Trolling, but I do try to avoid it. It's rather disgusting to be honest.

In any event, I hold my opinion that you are not a Flames Fan, nor do you know the Team, it's Players, Style or Values. If you were a Flames Fan you would know that Sutter values Experienced Veterans over Rookies and that the Flames believe in their Prospects taking time to develop in the AHL, especially Defensemen and they make them earn their playing time in the NHL. They have a very old school mentality when it comes to their young players and while I don't agree with it, it's a fact and the main reason why these players are only afforded very limited and usually only in the Bottom-6. Phillips, Ruzicka, Mackey & Meloche are NHL'ers on most Teams.

The only guy I have pushed that isn't what I said or wanted him to be was Valimaki, he sucks, but other than that, I believe the Flames Prospect Pool to be fairly decent. Matthew Phillip's is good, but he'll never get a chance in Calgary simply because of his size, which is unfortunate and at the end of the day ridiculous imo

See you around, but if you don't like me or my opinion much, feel free to change the channel, ignore or simply avoid me. You don't have to follow me everywhere I go y'know

Nobody follows you everywhere. We ripped ur trades because you wrote them out in crayon and that got mad when we criticized it. Nobody on here is angry or has confidence issues, we just don’t feel the need to pander to ur delusions.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:01 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: Isles5513
If you honestly think the isles should send down salo or Romanov to add Kylington than ur deluding yourself.

I believe Romanov will be a Very Good Defensemen one day, but he isn't yet. He hasn't done anything special and is being rushed and thrown to the wolves as far as his development so far goes

Salo is no better than Jusso Valimaki. He has 1 good 2 Goal this Season, big deal. He might turn it around too, but there's nothing great or special about him at all.

Kylington on the other hand has shown he's ready for full-time NHL duties and that he can produce & contribute offensively, something NYI needs if they want to improve on their fine defensive & goaltending play. Make room for Wahlstrom in the Top-6 by moving Beauvillier out.

It's Trotz, it's blah blah blah, it's whatever. These are all just excuses. NYI has a ways to go before anybody believes they'll be in any Playoff discussions
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:03 p.m.
TrevorA
Nobody follows you everywhere. We ripped ur trades because you wrote them out in crayon and that got mad when we criticized it. Nobody on here is angry or has confidence issues, we just don’t feel the need to pander to ur delusions.

Then why are here pandering to me on my delusions!?

It's my thread. If you don't like it, move on, change the channel and troll somebody else. I don't go out of my way to bully, insult, criticize and swear at you guys. Grow up already
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
I believe Romanov will be a Very Good Defensemen one day, but he isn't yet. He hasn't done anything special and is being rushed and thrown to the wolves as far as his development so far goes

Salo is no better than Jusso Valimaki. He has 1 good 2 Goal this Season, big deal. He might turn it around too, but there's nothing great or special about him at all.

Kylington on the other hand has shown he's ready for full-time NHL duties and that he can produce & contribute offensively, something NYI needs if they want to improve on their fine defensive & goaltending play. Make room for Wahlstrom in the Top-6 by moving Beauvillier out.

It's Trotz, it's blah blah blah, it's whatever. These are all just excuses. NYI has a ways to go before anybody believes they'll be in any Playoff discussions

Romanov has been fantastic. Don’t compare Salo to Valimaki just cause ur mad Calgary took a bust in the first round.
yycofred and OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:08 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Then why are here pandering to me on my delusions!?

It's my thread. If you don't like it, move on, change the channel and troll somebody else. I don't go out of my way to bully, insult, criticize and swear at you guys. Grow up already

It’s a bad trade and it involves my team. You posted a one sided traded then insulted the islanders organization. I’m gonna make fun of you for being a 🤡
yycofred and OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:08 p.m.
Both You & Isles5513 come across as very angry & troubled people with insecurity & confidence issues. I mean it's a theme on these forums to be insulting and I'm not going to pretend I'm perfect and haven't sunken down to that level of filth that is internet Bullying & Trolling, but I do try to avoid it. It's rather disgusting to be honest.

I love love love the “I’m delicate and wrong so now you’re bad people” it’s far from my intention for you to think I’m remotely decent. Post stupid things get treated like a stupid person, all very simple concepts.

Flames have the 28th ranked prospect pool by guys who know so much more than anyone on this website. Most of the guys you’re proposing could have been had for free now you want them to be worth a top end player in a deal. Make it make sense at least.. it’s embarrassing to have these kind of posts, it’s borderline lucid Habs/Leafs fan Kerfoot for Weegar trades.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:10 p.m.
It’s a bad trade and it involves my team. You posted a one sided traded then insulted the islanders organization. I’m gonna make fun of you for being a 🤡

Sounds like he should keep the posts in the drafts!! Hahaha, it’s so bad, and the doubling down that gets me
Not_Isles5513 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:12 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Sounds like he should keep the posts in the drafts!! Hahaha, it’s so bad, and the doubling down that gets me

I like Calgary as a regular season team. But if Markstrom has another meltdown I don’t think Calgary’s forward core will be able to make up for it. Legit cup contenders tho.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:15 p.m.
I like Calgary as a regular season team. But if Markstrom has another meltdown I don’t think Calgary’s forward core will be able to make up for it. Legit cup contenders tho.

Stars Markstrom could steal a cup. Oilers Markstrom could play in the AHL. I think the team as it’s set up loses more in the regular season but I think they’re far more resilient and built for playoffs, 3 lines that can night in night out match up with other teams top lines is the biggest difference. No longer stretching Backlund as a 2C and letting him slot as an elite 3C will make a world of difference in my mind
Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:17 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Stars Markstrom could steal a cup. Oilers Markstrom could play in the AHL. I think the team as it’s set up loses more in the regular season but I think they’re far more resilient and built for playoffs, 3 lines that can night in night out match up with other teams top lines is the biggest difference. No longer stretching Backlund as a 2C and letting him slot as an elite 3C will make a world of difference in my mind

It’s hard for me to believe that forward core can beat Colorado or St. Louis.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:26 p.m.
It’s hard for me to believe that forward core can beat Colorado or St. Louis.

No one’s asking them to get into a shootout with those teams, systematically I do think the Flames will hold their own though. Team defence and depth down the middle will give the Flames their best shot.
Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:31 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
No one’s asking them to get into a shootout with those teams, systematically I do think the Flames will hold their own though. Team defence and depth down the middle will give the Flames their best shot.

I would just be worried about Markstrom. That being said Weegar might Eliminate those concerns lol
yycofred liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:44 p.m.
TrevorA

So what's your counter-proposal OR what do you think it will cost a Team to obtain Beauvillier 50% retained for 2 years and Mayfield as a rental?

Beauvillier 50% retained = 2nd RD Pick + 2nd RD Pick + 3rd RD Pick = Kylington + Meloche
Mayfield = 2nd RD Pick
Rooney = 5th RD Pick
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:46 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
So what's your counter-proposal OR what do you think it will cost a Team to obtain Beauvillier 50% retained for 2 years and Mayfield as a rental?

Beauvillier 50% retained = 2nd RD Pick + 2nd RD Pick + 3rd RD Pick = Kylington + Meloche
Mayfield = 2nd RD Pick
Rooney = 5th RD Pick

Isles won’t retain 50% on Beau for two years. Mayfield is worth the Chiarot package. This ain’t it.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 8:57 p.m.
TrevorA
I love love love the “I’m delicate and wrong so now you’re bad people” it’s far from my intention for you to think I’m remotely decent. Post stupid things get treated like a stupid person, all very simple concepts.

Flames have the 28th ranked prospect pool by guys who know so much more than anyone on this website. Most of the guys you’re proposing could have been had for free now you want them to be worth a top end player in a deal. Make it make sense at least.. it’s embarrassing to have these kind of posts, it’s borderline lucid Habs/Leafs fan Kerfoot for Weegar trades.

Which Teams are even in contention or will be able to afford Patrick Kane 50% retained!?

There's not many contenders with Cap Space or that have an opening at 1RW. The Flames should be one of the front runners. Again, CHI won't have much leverage given P.Kane is in complete control over which Team he will waive him NMC to play for, so the moment CHI approaches said Team, that Team will automatically know they have leverage in the Trade Negotiations. If you were a Flames Fan, you'd know Treliving can negotiate very good Trade Deals from time to time.

Patrick Kane 50% retained = 1st RD Pick + 2nd RD Pick + 3rd RD Pick = 1st RD Pick + 2nd Round Pick + Adam Ruzicka
Max Domi = 3rd Round Pick = Connor Mackey
Jack Johnson = 4th Round Pick = Matthew Phillips

If I swapped Adam Ruzicka for Jakob Pelletier or Connor Zary, would you still consider it a Bad Trade?

I don't see EDM, TOR or many other Top Contenders being able to pull off a Trade for Patrick Kane. Do you and if so, give me an example!?
Oct. 19, 2022 at 9:06 p.m.
TrevorA
Isles won’t retain 50% on Beau for two years. Mayfield is worth the Chiarot package. This ain’t it.

That's a reasonable response, but given the # of Pending UFA D-Men this year, I doubt Mayfield brings more than a 2nd, but time will tell I guess

We'll see if Beauvillier rebounds this season, otherwise I could see NYI dumping him. It's Mayfield I'm the most interested in, but another Young French Winger would be nice as well
Oct. 19, 2022 at 9:16 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
That's a reasonable response, but given the # of Pending UFA D-Men this year, I doubt Mayfield brings more than a 2nd, but time will tell I guess

We'll see if Beauvillier rebounds this season, otherwise I could see NYI dumping him. It's Mayfield I'm the most interested in, but another Young French Winger would be nice as well

Beau has been solid so far and NY won’t dump him.
Oct. 19, 2022 at 9:16 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan

A lot of those d men will be signed by the deadline
Oct. 20, 2022 at 12:27 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

I love the characterization of some of these youngsters as "NHL ready prospects."
For the record, Phillips cleared waivers on October 2 and Popsicle cleared waivers on October 13. Meloche wasn't called "NHL ready" but he cleared waivers on October 12. As to Mackey, he's 26 years old and has all of 9 games in the NHL so far; it doesn't sound to me like he'll EVER be NHL material.
yycofred liked this.
Oct. 20, 2022 at 12:41 a.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I love the characterization of some of these youngsters as "NHL ready prospects."
For the record, Phillips cleared waivers on October 2 and Popsicle cleared waivers on October 13. Meloche wasn't called "NHL ready" but he cleared waivers on October 12. As to Mackey, he's 26 years old and has all of 9 games in the NHL so far; it doesn't sound to me like he'll EVER be NHL material.

It’s so unfortunate. The flames have lacked punch in their pipeline for so long that the fan base starts to see hope in guys like Gawdin, Phillips, Mackey, Yelesin etc. etc. every player is the next big thing cause it’s really as good as it gets in the system. I don’t mind it cause it means they’re either drafting well enough that their player are graduating or finishing high enough that they’re drafting too low for star power but the delusion of prospects in the Flames farm runs strong with this fan base. Pelletier is great, does he project higher than middle 6? Eh not really, a guy you need to compete but doesn’t blow you away. The only untouchables/valuable prospects should be Coronato and Wolf at this point other than that there’s a lot of throw in’s for deals and lottery tickets
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 20, 2022 at 1:56 a.m.
Coronato should be considered untouchable, so that'd be a no, as would Zary very likely

CHI has a better chance of getting Pelletier imo, but the player they should be asking for that I don't want to give up is Dillon Dube

Mackey, Ruzicka & Phillips are all NHL Ready Prospects who will succeed given the opportunity they won't get in CGY or under Sutter. They're Very Good Hockey Players & Prospects, with Excellent AHL Track Records to prove they can Produce & Contribute

It's not passing the smell test and other teams will simply offer higher end prospects. One of Coronato, Zary, or Pelletier plus a 1st as part of the package (and probably in that order) or the Hawks simply won't let Kane go to Calgary....not that Kane would waive for Calgary anyway
Oct. 20, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: ChiHawk
It's not passing the smell test and other teams will simply offer higher end prospects. One of Coronato, Zary, or Pelletier plus a 1st as part of the package (and probably in that order) or the Hawks simply won't let Kane go to Calgary....not that Kane would waive for Calgary anyway

Where do you see Kane going and for what then?

CAR for a 1st + 2nd + Pesce + Fast FOR Kane 50% retained + DAL's 3rd RD Pick
BOS for a 1st + Carlo + Nosek + Frederick + Studnicka FOR Kane (no retention) + Blackwell
OTT for a 1st + Jarventie + Thomson FOR Kane 50% retained
PIT for a 1st + 2nd + Kapanen + McGinn + PO Joseph FOR Kane 50% retained
TOR for a 2nd + Knies + Engvall FOR Kane 50% retained
NYR for DAL's 1st + Kravtsov + Garand FOR Kane 50% retained

These are the most recent proposals/offers on this forum

If Kane wants to be on a Top Contender, the Flames have to be one of the front runners. It's not like he's moving there. He'd very likely just be a rental for a few months
Oct. 20, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: OldNYIfan

You simply don't know these guys or their situations. Phillips is small, so Sutter won't use him. Pospisil was injured during Training Camp. Meloche almost made the Team but Michael Stone was spectacular, how he didn't get claimed is beyond me. Mackey just turned 26 and had went to College, so didn't turn pro until he was 24

Coronato & Wolf are untouchable, so let's compare the players everyone is saying should be in the deal and how they performed last season:

Connor Zary: 13G + 12A = 25PTS/53GP -4
Jakob Pelletier: 27G + 35A = 62PTS/66GP +22 (Playing on a line with Matthew Phillips)
Matthew Phillips: 31G + 37A = 68PTS/65GP +14 NHL Career: 1GP, like WTF???
Adam Ruzicka: 11G + 9A = 20PTS/16GP +12 NHL Career: 5G + 6A = 11PTS/31GP +10 (Impressive considering he played only 10mins/gm with Lucic & Lewis) Made Slovakia's Int'l & Olympic Teams

Pospisil: 7G + 18A = 25PTS/47GP +9
Emilio-Pettersen: 13G + 13A = 26PTS/59GP +5
Connor Mackey: 5G + 31A = 36PTS/53GP +15 NHL Career: 1G + 3A = 4PTS/9GP +2 Made Team USA for the World Championships He's in the NHL right now as the 7th D-Man on a Very Deep Defensive Team

Mackey, Phillips & Ruzicka are definitely NHL Ready while Pelletier & Zary would likely be rushed and in the lineup for a lot of NHL Teams too. Pospisil & MEP aren't as good, but could be quality Bottom-6 Depth NHL Players that could surprise. The fact is, they won't get a fair chance in Calgary

Meloche who just turned 25 is NHL Ready & Experienced. He was Drafted 40th overall and is a 6'3 211 RD who played 50 Games for San Jose last Season

Kylington is an excellent D-Man: 9G + 22A = 31 PTS/73GP +34 For anybody to say he's a Cap Dump, has little value or isn't a Quality D-Man and better than Romanov or Salo is just ridiculous
Oct. 20, 2022 at 3:35 p.m.
we miss leo k
-This Chicago trade is something. First off: I don't see the Hawks putting all their trade eggs in one basket unless it's a significant overpay. Besides Kane, you have Max Domi & Jack Johson in here - both veterans on 1-year deals that are trade bait, so if you want them & Patty Kane in the same deal, you're paying full freight. It's not Costco.

Using the Giroux template for Kane misses the fact that, if he plays up to last year's numbers, he's a much more productive player. Giroux with full retention got a 1st, a 3rd, and a younger roster player with a 5th and two warm bodies going back, so that's the floor here - I'd argue that you can upgrade the Owen Tippett part of this deal to a strong prospect if Kane is above a PPG pace again by the deadline.

Max Domi fully retained would probably get back a mid-round pick and a lottery ticket prospect; Jack Johnson probably gets one or the other.

The only prospect with any real value here is Adam Ruzicka, who projects out as a bottom-6 guy. Pospisil & MEP project as 13th forwards; Phillips is small enough that it's very unlikely his AHL production translates to the NHL, Mackey is already 26 and not someone you can really consider a prospect anymore. This is a classic quality over quantity type of trade and Chicago passes - just delete everything that isn't Ruzicka & the picks, add one of Zary/Coronato/Pelletier, and then you've got a conversation. This isn't anywhere near it, though.

-This deal is awful for New York, for a few reasons that I would admittedly not expect a Flames fan to know offhand. The Islanders are committed to their top-4 the way it is at this point, regardless of how you feel about the skill level of their players - Adam Pelech/Ryan Pulock is the top pair after both of them signed big extensions, and Alexander Romanov/Noah Dobson is the second pair, full stop. Dobson is worthy of that RD2 spot now, and with the assets devoted to acquiring Romanov (the 13th OA pick + a 3x$2.5M extension), there's a vested interest in seeing those two 22-year-olds build chemistry together. If they acquired Oliver Kylington, he's most likely headed for their 3rd pair, which isn't the best use of assets for the team - especially one that has Robin Salo locked in at $800K this year and next. I don't care about how you feel about the talent level of those players right now; this is one of the rare moves Lou Lamoriello has made with an eye towards the future and it doesn't make sense to break it up after 3 games.

Beyond that, the value doesn't make sense. Mayfield for Kylington makes some sense in a vacuum, but it's also not a move the Islanders need to make. To throw in Beauvillier with 2 years of full retention on this makes even less sense - even in an off season last year, Beau was more productive than Rooney. And lastly, if the Islanders do hit the point where they're moving guys like Mayfield or Beauvillier at the deadline, it's going to be for futures - and there's just not enough of that here.
KingofRnR liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll