SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 Prospect Updates

Nov. 18, 2022 at 8:57 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Saskleaf
I’m not an expert so I don’t really know many names past like the first two rounds, but he was supposed to go wayyyy earlier. It looks like he fell because of his size.

You're right. Size (and speed) are the two reasons, good/great juniors never make to the NHL. Even high scoring AHLers sometimes never a sniff at NHL either.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 18, 2022 at 8:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
For the bottom 6, possible, but he shouldn’t be someone they are automatically penciling into the lineup.

I’m certainly high on him but want to temper expectations

From watching I would be very surprised if hes not in come playoffs. While it wont be top 6 immediately I got a feeling like Bunting hes gonna work his way up as man when u watch him hes literally Hyman but with a better shot

And if u pair him with a top 6 C like Matthews or JT and a wing like Marner man we could have fun. And even if not could make for a fun 3rd line with Jarnkrok and whoever the 3c is
Nov. 18, 2022 at 9:38 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
From watching I would be very surprised if hes not in come playoffs. While it wont be top 6 immediately I got a feeling like Bunting hes gonna work his way up as man when u watch him hes literally Hyman but with a better shot

And if u pair him with a top 6 C like Matthews or JT and a wing like Marner man we could have fun. And even if not could make for a fun 3rd line with Jarnkrok and whoever the 3c is

No chance he comes in and gets into the top 6. Again we’ve seen plenty of examples (Jimmy Vessey, Henrik Borgstrom) who dominated College to do nothing in the NHL.

Again, my expectations are tempered, if Knies can come in and by our Miles Wood, someone who plays on the 4th/3rd line, hits/skaters fast/scores. Perfect

But a FULL year in the AHL next year would be perfect for his development
Nov. 18, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
No chance he comes in and gets into the top 6. Again we’ve seen plenty of examples (Jimmy Vessey, Henrik Borgstrom) who dominated College to do nothing in the NHL.

Again, my expectations are tempered, if Knies can come in and by our Miles Wood, someone who plays on the 4th/3rd line, hits/skaters fast/scores. Perfect

But a FULL year in the AHL next year would be perfect for his development

I feel hes gonna work his way up. I doubt hes in the AHL as his one issue is being worked on and compared to last year man he is skating so much better and his shot is much cleaner. Hes a Bunting candidate who starts bottom 6 and works his way up. Really would not be shocked if by playoffs hes in the top 6 through his hard work

As if he plays like he has in NCAA, prospect camp, and Olympics he will be making a strong case for top 6. But as I said above start bottom 6 and show Keefe u can do more
Nov. 18, 2022 at 10:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think the Leafs are in big trouble come next April if they are depending on Knies, a 20 years NCAA player to be the saviour next playoffs.

Top 6 LW. Logic says it's Bunting and someother player (Kerfoot, Robertson, Malgin)? has be the guy this season.
Nov. 18, 2022 at 10:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
I think the Leafs are in big trouble come next April if they are depending on Knies, a 20 years NCAA player to be the saviour next playoffs.

Top 6 LW. Logic says it's Bunting and someother player (Kerfoot, Robertson, Malgin)? has be the guy this season.

I feel it all comes down to how Knies does once he signs and joins

If he comes in and plays way above 3rd line (Like Bunting did) give him a shot in the top 6 with Matthews and Marner or JT and Willy or whatever the combo is if it works and he develops chemistry with the boyz then I see no harm

Agreed dont just throw him in but like Bunting let him show he can do more
Nov. 18, 2022 at 11:21 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Prove me wrong Fraser, prove me wrong
Nov. 18, 2022 at 11:35 p.m.

Prove me wrong Fraser, prove me wrong

Seems like ALOT of his production is coming on the PP. Supposedly he's looking really good at 5v5 too, but the points just haven't been coming...
MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 18, 2022 at 11:39 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Edited Nov. 18, 2022 at 11:47 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Seems like ALOT of his production is coming on the PP. Supposedly he's looking really good at 5v5 too, but the points just haven't been coming...

He is making a living passing to Logan Stankoven. I will die on the hill he was picked way to high but smarter people than me see something in him

Edit:
9 of his 14 points on the PP (2G 7A)
Nov. 19, 2022 at 3:26 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Hard to peg SDA, will he stay a Center or Winger at the NHL level but no questioning his talent.

Fh3qndEWAAAqj3d?format=jpg&name=large
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 12:23 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Voit had 4 assists putting him up to 36 points in 21 games.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 1:12 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Moldenhauer finishing the night with a goal and a power-play assist. That's his 5th multi-point game in 16gp this year.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 11:34 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Nov. 23, 2022 at 9:25 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

After going without a point in four games, gets on the board today.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

Kamloops lost a lot of players to graduation. They still might be finding their footing with less experienced club. The team is among the low goal scoring among current playoff teams but have the second least amount of goals allowed league wide. Maybe it's the style of play being incorporated which results in fewer goals scored. Still second in their division.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 12:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Kamloops lost a lot of players to graduation. They still might be finding their footing with less experienced club. The team is among the low goal scoring among current playoff teams but have the second least amount of goals allowed league wide. Maybe it's the style of play being incorporated which results in fewer goals scored. Still second in their division.

Kind of reminds me of what we are seeing out of Karpat. Lots of graduations/move on's and on top of a new coach has seen lower production. While the new coach does use Niemela he does not allow him to do the things we saw last year which sucks as he would probs be putting up points while making strong D plays

Either way both guys are doing good for their standards and thats fine.
palhal liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Kind of reminds me of what we are seeing out of Karpat. Lots of graduations/move on's and on top of a new coach has seen lower production. While the new coach does use Niemela he does not allow him to do the things we saw last year which sucks as he would probs be putting up points while making strong D plays

It looks like Niemela has a fast track to the NHL if he's good enough. One year in the AHL and then Leafs in 24/25. Might be just Liljegren and UFA signing ahead of him the depth chart.
I don't have that much confidence the Marlies are going to produce any NHL centres of significance. Maybe SAD, but certainly there is spot of Minten to be fast tracked too. IMO Matthews signs elsewhere as a UFA.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Not sure why someone would think “Kamloops lost a lot of players to graduation. They lost 3 players from last season. All of Stankoven, Seminoff, Bankier, Kuefler, Levis, Minten, Brandwood, and Bairos are still here and they added Kyle Masters for Mats Lindgren in a trade. Kamloops welcomed two new imports into the fold this fall in Finnish defenceman Aapo Sarell and Czech netminder Michael Schnattinger. They lost Quinn Schmiemann but he was an overager, same with Luke Toporowski who they added mid season in a trade and Victor Persson went back to the Liiga.

It’s more realistic to say the Blazers overachieved offensively last season and are right on par this year. Daylan Kuefler scored 38 goals last season and Toporowski scored 20 goals in 20 games when they acquired him.

The Blazers have only 1 legit star, Stankoven, and will only go as far as he takes them. Good support players in Bankier, Seminoff, and Minten but no where close to the talent some of the other Western teams have right now. Since they are hosting to the 2023 Memorial Cup, have to think they will look at add to this roster.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
It looks like Niemela has a fast track to the NHL if he's good enough. One year in the AHL and then Leafs in 24/25. Might be just Liljegren and UFA signing ahead of him the depth chart.
I don't have that much confidence the Marlies are going to produce any NHL centres of significance. Maybe SAD, but certainly there is spot of Minten to be fast tracked too. IMO Matthews signs elsewhere as a UFA.

If we look in the past 5 years only 2 big names left (Tavares and Gaudreau), and 2 others requested a trade (Eichel and M.Tkachuck). If he is not extended next summer got a feeling we see the biggest NHL trade deal in history and Leafs with the return they get probs win the cup with a revamped lead by Tavares. As whenever Matthews be out Tavares goes sicko mode. But lets be real hes gonna sign 14.5mill x 8 years and then get some big sponsership deal and make an enormous amount of $$$$$ as in LA hes just gonna be another guy in LeBron James and Ohtani's shadow
Nov. 23, 2022 at 7:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If we look in the past 5 years only 2 big names left (Tavares and Gaudreau), and 2 others requested a trade (Eichel and M.Tkachuck). If he is not extended next summer got a feeling we see the biggest NHL trade deal in history and Leafs with the return they get probs win the cup with a revamped lead by Tavares. As whenever Matthews be out Tavares goes sicko mode. But lets be real hes gonna sign 14.5mill x 8 years and then get some big sponsership deal and make an enormous amount of $$$$$ as in LA hes just gonna be another guy in LeBron James and Ohtani's shadow

No LeBron is will gone from the Lakers. Kings seems to be a team with high upside in the second half of this decade. I'm sticking to my prediction that Matthews leaves willingly, and Marner and Tavares aren't resigned in the summer of summer 2025. Welcome McDavid and maybe Drasaitl.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:34 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Nov. 24, 2022 at 12:29 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Adds a primary assist, thank you Stankoven
Nov. 24, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Not sure how high his ceiling will be, but IMO right now he might be the Leafs best offensive prospect. Another 4 assist night, that’s 8 in two games
Nov. 24, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Can’t be stressed enough how well they have done in retooling the goalie depth in the system.

Cavallin is 7-1-0 in the ECHL this season with a .941 save percentage.

Keith Petruzzelli
Totals (AHL): 9 GP, 7-2-0, .905 SV%, 2.87 GAA

Artur Akhtyamov
Totals (VHL): 19 GP, 13-5-1, .938 SV%, 1.80 GAA

Slava Peksa
Totals (VHL): 23 GP, 11-9-2, .926 SV%, 2.22 GAA

Dryden McKay
Totals (ECHL): 6 GP, 4-1-1, .921 SV%, 2.33 GAA
Nov. 24, 2022 at 1:36 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Brandon has an absolute rocket. Obviously size will be his biggest obstacle but no denying his offensive talent.

Totals (WHL): 19GP 9G 22PTS

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll