SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #4: Just Keefe Drowning

Nov. 13, 2022 at 9:59 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: McGruff
Good points Doyle - but IF those are the reasons (esp. the D)...
Then Miller has to be dealt for scraps even (last TDL) and not re-signed by Allvin/JR for mega $$$$ & mega term on Sept of 2022 - boggles the mind.

5-yrs of mediocrity is assured minimum.

5 years of mediocrity? So what? We have been mediocre since 2012
justaBoss liked this.
Nov. 13, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: kdawg32086
What kind of a return does Horvat get at the deadline?

With Horvat's predigree a lot of teams will want him at the TDL

At 50% retained 2.75mill is his cap hit (unless your not using LTIR then its even less)

And so if he continues at this pace the price could be a record breaker for a rental well till Kane is traded

Probs look at something like what Giroux went for only whoever gets him probs gonna add (instead of Tippett A level D prospect goes back)

Only way price goes down is if Horvat goes if im traded I want to go to this team
Nov. 13, 2022 at 10:12 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: Juiceman
5 years of mediocrity? So what? We have been mediocre since 2012

Agreed.
Yet VAN had some re-fresh talent to build around (other clubs w/ lesser have done better) such a waste of QH & EP40....
Nov. 13, 2022 at 10:16 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: McGruff
Agreed.
Yet VAN had some re-fresh talent to build around (other clubs w/ lesser have done better) such a waste of QH & EP40....

Hughes and EP40 should be the only untouchables in a rebuild unless they want out
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Nov. 13, 2022 at 10:20 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Nov. 13, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Hughes and EP40 should be the only untouchables in a rebuild unless they want out

Juice: ^ ^ That was the headline 4-yrs ago. ^ ^

As I said with Miller pre-ink - they'll (QH/EP) be in the rocking chair when relevancy is back knocking on the door for the Orca's!
Nov. 14, 2022 at 8:05 a.m.

zk97 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 8:46 a.m.
cautious optimism
Bobcat’s Post Game Notes, Game 13

Jackets win, 5-2 over the Philadelphia Flyers.

-Finally, we have hockey back. Hopefully we’re well-rested after the trip to Finland.

-Before the game starts, this is essentially our Veteran’s Day/Armistice Day game, since we don’t have a game on Friday. I’d like to give a quick shout-out to my father: US Army veteran, served in Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Just Cause. Thanks for your service, Dad.

-Emil Bemstrom makes his season debut tonight on the second line. He’s been balling out in Cleveland, let’s hope he continues here.

-Mathieu Olivier finds himself on a breakaway, but Cahtah Haht shuts him down. Tough luck, Ollie.

-JOHNATHAN ICE HOCKEY PUTS US UP BY ONE. A great pass by Z, and a smooth wrister by Johnny that blows right by Hart. I like this already.

-We had Carter Hart dead to rights, but Olivier duffs it again. Tough luck, Ollie.

-Eric Robinson takes it along the near wall, passes to a streaking Cole Sillinger, but it flips over his stick. Ouch.

-MATHIEU OLIVIER! NICOLAS DESLAURIERS! LLLLLLET’S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!

-Both sides got their licks in, but I’d call it a draw. On an unrelated note, the PA guy played “Kung Fu Fighting” by Carl Douglas after Nico and Ollie fought. At what point do we use “Mama Said Knock You Out” by LL Cool J, or even better: “5 Minutes Alone” by Pantera? Those are better songs than that sh*t.

-Joonas Korpisalo has looked pretty solid. I really should feel happy, but I know Korpi too well. I’m waiting for the catch, because there always has been a catch with Korpi…

-Zack MacEwen basically falls on top of Korpi in the crease, which is kinda scary. I don’t wanna see him re-aggravate that hip injury that held him down all last season last year and kept him out until just recently.

-I’d like to take a minute to give some appreciation to Nick Blankenburg’s speed. That kid can go from 0 to f*ck-you speed basically with the snap of a finger. I like him a lot.

-We catch a break with essentially a 3-on-1 that I thought we were about to blow, but Zach cleans up our mess and shuffles it past Carter Hart. We’re up 2-0. Let’s keep this going.

-NICK BLANKENBURG! JOEL FARABEE! WE’RE RUMBLING SOME MORE!

-The refs were all over it, but it was cool for the 5 seconds it lasted. Music choice was better this time around: “Walk” by Pantera. RE. SPECT. WALK.

-4-On-4 Hockey Time (tm). Let’s see how this goes…

-Both teams got their chances, but neither side scored. Unfortunately, we’re back to this phase of making our goalie’s life a living hell because we can’t get the puck out of our own zone, or as I like to call it, the status quo.

-…Oh dear. Z just went directly back to the dressing room after running into the boards funny. Jacob Christiansen, welcome back to Columbus?

-Johnny finds himself on a breakaway, but Tony DeAngelo diffuses the situation with a move that could arguably be called a hook. I’d say it was, but that’s just bias talking.

-First period thoughts: LET’S F*CKING GO. That is all.

-Johnny, to Patty, to El Capitan, tic, tac, toe behind Hart. That’s 3-0. HERE COMES THE BOOOOOOONE!!

-Zack MacEwen gets sent off for elbowing, which was kinda weak, but we’ll definitely take that.

-Some 44-on-44 violence: Deslauriers hits Guddy up high as he’s falling down, and he’s down and out bleeding from the face, and… no penalty? What? I know it wasn’t intentional, but the dude’s face is bleeding, that should be grounds for at least minutes…

-Laine gets payback(?) by getting a big hit on Ivan Provorov as they run into the boards. I don’t think he’s hurt but he was just sitting on the ice, so…

-Tony DeAngelo scores on a weird play that had everyone confused. The ref kinda blew it dead, but the puck was in the net. Hopefully this isn’t the beginning of a collapse….

-Morgan Frost takes a minor for tripping Andy. Off to the sin bin you go!

-Emil Bemstrom finds himself on a 2-on-1, but Carter Hart shuts him down with a glove snag. You’re no fun.

-The first 5 minutes of the third period were a snoozefest. So much of a snoozefest that the fans got bored and did the wave. Lol.

-…uh oh. Ivan Provorov crashes the crease and scores to put the Flyers within one. We gotta respond now.

-We’ve played good defense so far, to the point where they’ve gone with an empty net. Let’s go, boys.

-Blanks takes a big snipe from the other side of the ice into the empty net. This is why we love you, you short king.

-Travis Konecny hits Gavi knee-on-knee, and he’s down too. We’re down to THREE DEFENSEMEN NOW. I guess we can call this “Torts’s Revenge.”

-I never thought I would be saying this, but Joonas Korpisalo might be our starting goaltender going forward. He looked like a star tonight.

I love this team.
justaBoss and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 8:47 a.m.
cautious optimism
Bobcat’s Post Game Notes, Game 14

Jackets lose, 4-3 in overtime against the New York Islanders.

-Getting back into the win column has to be a great confidence boost going into this away game at Fort Sometimes-Lose.

-All these Flyer-induced injuries on defense necessitates giving Marcus Bjork his NHL debut. I hope he does well, but I don’t understand why he’s playing his off-side. He’s right-handed, and playing left alongside Gavin Bayreuther (who ironically is a lefty). Weird.

-It’s now been confirmed that Zach Werenski is out for the season with a torn labrum. I think this is our cue to trade for a defenseman at the deadline (or even now). Olli Maatta has never looked so attractive…

-Why is UBS Arena booing Johnny Gaudreau? I think they got the wrong John…

-Both goalies have looked very solid so far. I’m liking what I’m seeing.

-F*CK YEAH, KORPI! What a save on a breakaway!

-A hard-angle shot careens off of Gavin’s stick, but the ever-alert Korpi makes the save. As much as it pains me to say this, I doubt Elvis in his current state makes that save.

-Liam and Ollie on a 2-on-1, but Sorokin makes the save. I love me a goalie battle.

-For the first time in what feels like all season, we have no score after one. I like our defensive play so far, as well as our goaltending. We just have to get on the board, and we’re good.

-Alex Romanov gets sent off for holding Emil Bemstrom. Let’s see what we do with this…

-WITH TEN SECONDS LEFT ON THE POWER PLAY, COLE SILLINGER SCORES HIS FIRST GOAL ON THE YEAR!! F*CKING FINALLY!!!

-Johnny Gaudreau gets a rebound and a wide-open net, he has Sorokin dead to rights, and he duffs it off the side of the net. I audibly yelled “NOOOOOOO” after that miss. What a terrible bout of luck.

-Brock Nelson gets a godlike pass tape-to-tape from Scott Mayfield combined with a great screen from Anders Lee to put it behind Korpi. Tie game. I can’t be mad at that, that’s gonna make all the highlight reels this month.

-COLUMBUS CLAPS RIGHT THE F*CK BACK. AHL legend Emil Bemstrom finds himself on a breakaway and tucks it behind Sorokin to put us back up by one!

-Liam gets thrown in hockey jail for hooking Brock Nelson, but Korpi morphs into a brick wall to keep us ahead by one. Gus played half that PK without a stick and still made crucial defensive plays.

-Brock Nelson ties the game again off a lucky bounce. Don’t let this get ya down, boys.

-As the third period starts, Adam Pelech and Patrik Laine collide in front of Ilya Sorokin, and Sorokin is shaken by it. He’s staying in the game, but he’s very obviously hurt.

-A power play on both sides pass, and nothing comes of either.

-Marcus Bjork gives the Jackets the lead with the first goal in his NHL career! And he made it look easy!

-…Tie game. Scott Mayfield scores the Isles’ 13th goal by a defenseman. Let’s hope that we get the lead back again.

-The Isles have been playing good defense, at this rate I’d just play for the pity point.

-OVERTIME. Let’s get it, boys.

-…Well, that didn’t last long. Zach Parise fights through Laine giving him a bear hug to get a one-timer past Korpi. At least we got one point.
justaBoss, Db1899 and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.
WentWughes

USA Hockey's turn
yikes and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 10:24 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

USA Hockey's turn

Was just about to come here to say this; Westhead continues to the be the 🐐

Doubtful we see Sweden, Finland, Russia any time in the future but I’m also doubtful Sweden or Finland would have a larger problematic catalog (at least I’m hopeful that I’m right).
Nov. 14, 2022 at 10:38 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

USA Hockey's turn

"Criminal disposition involving a minor." Hard to believe they could cover that up, or even try. Covering up a potential felony is also a serious crime. I'm not sure I see a massive scandal brewing here, but we'll wait and see. There's obviously a massive gulf between inappropriate relationships in the workplace and sexual assault of a minor. That being said, the more transparency the better. After USA Gymnastics, I doubt the public will have any tolerance for a massive cover-up, especially one involving kids.
capsfan2121, NoVaSpartan and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 10:50 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Brian2016
"Criminal disposition involving a minor." Hard to believe they could cover that up, or even try. Covering up a potential felony is also a serious crime. I'm not sure I see a massive scandal brewing here, but we'll wait and see. There's obviously a massive gulf between inappropriate relationships in the workplace and sexual assault of a minor. That being said, the more transparency the better. After USA Gymnastics, I doubt the public will have any tolerance for a massive cover-up, especially one involving kids.

I mean Hockey Canada covered up rape, and the Chicago Blackhawks covered up and willingly, knowingly and imo; aided in letting a child predator lose and harming a minor.

It’s not HARD to believe at all imo if Westhead and other journalists start digging into USAHockey theyre going to find stuff. Glad they exposed Hockey Canada and they should do for all sports.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
do not Devil my ass

is he finished
capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN, MatthewsFan and 3 others liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 12:09 p.m.

Nov. 14, 2022 at 12:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:01 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin

is he finished

If he comes back from that just call him IRON MAN

Anyways as I keep saying we should be using his LTIR to go get someone as if he is gonna try and come back just make a post season attempt
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Ottawa and Toronto gonna be duking it out on the Dman trade market as both teams rn having Defense injury issues

Gonna be interesting to see who ends up with what in the end
zk97 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Ottawa and Toronto gonna be duking it out on the Dman trade market as both teams rn having Defense injury issues

Gonna be interesting to see who ends up with what in the end

I don't even know who makes sense for Toronto. They should just stick with what they have. Reilly-Liljegren, Sandin-Holl, Giordan-Hollwell.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899
I don't even know who makes sense for Toronto. They should just stick with what they have. Reilly-Liljegren, Sandin-Holl, Giordan-Hollwell.

sens have one lightly used zaitsev for sale (for free! he even cleared waivers for extra maneuverability!) to stabilize the leafs right side
NoVaSpartan, Db1899, zk97 and 2 others liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:36 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Alfie11
sens have one lightly used zaitsev for sale (for free! he even cleared waivers for extra maneuverability!) to stabilize the leafs right side

organizational familiarity as well, it's perfect!
zk97, Alfie11 and justaBoss liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Alfie11

No no we got rid of him and took Ceci for a reason

Man how the **** did that guy sucker Lou into a 6 year deal
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
organizational familiarity as well, it's perfect!

Zaitsev and Dubas apparently never got along to where he requested a trade

Will always respect him for that as we got out of that horrific Lou deal and while we did lose Brown and had to take Ceci 1 year problem to deal with and then we got Brodie grin WHOSE ****ING HURT RN
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
torontos finest

ONE MILLION SHUTOUTS
zk97 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Db1899

Depends on if they want LD or RD

McCabe, Murphy, Dumba, Chycrun, Schenn, etc.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:39 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: mondo

ONE MILLION SHUTOUTS

Remember when that guy won two cups
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 14, 2022 at 1:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: capsfan2121
Remember when that guy won a cup

TWICE