SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

What Dubas should of done

Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 27, 2022
Published: Nov. 1, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If Dubas wanted to aquire Husso he could and should of especially for a third round pick (2022). They could of thrown in something else. Alot more stability in the net. Kerfoot gets moved for cap space. And hire Trotz now.
Trades
TOR
OTT
  1. Murray, Matt
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (OTT)
  3. 2024 7th round pick (OTT)
DET
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$84,680,413$212,500$0-$2,180,413
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Seiders on the Storm
If ONLY Husso had 1 more "o" in his name. Ville HusSOO.
GMBL liked this.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
I think the 3-year term was the issue, along with a very limited sample size to hand out a goalie 4.75m. They were probably hoping to get more retention on Murray (they did explore the 3rd party option). Chances are if Husso was in Toronto that he would be doing worse.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
56 years and countin
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
If ONLY Husso had 1 more "o" in his name. Ville HusSOO.

Heard that joke before
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
56 years and countin
Quoting: GMBL
I think the 3-year term was the issue, along with a very limited sample size to hand out a goalie 4.75m. They were probably hoping to get more retention on Murray (they did explore the 3rd party option). Chances are if Husso was in Toronto that he would be doing worse.

Worse than Murray with injury issues? Doubt it. But yeah you're right about the sample size, but Murray hasn't been great in 3 years.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: PrisonMike
Worse than Murray with injury issues? Doubt it. But yeah you're right about the sample size, but Murray hasn't been great in 3 years.

No, I meant Husso in Toronto probably doesn't do as well as he's doing now in Toronto. To me it seems that they wanted a goalie that they could walk away from in 2-years so that they could restructure the entire team around the new contracts of Matthews if he extends, but also they don't want to be stuck with a bad goalie.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.

I wouldn't consider the defense infront of Husso much better at all in Detroit. Maybe the pressure from the media and what not might not help him. He's been great so far in the early stages of the season and seems to have solidified himself as the #1 with Ned not playing all that great.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
I wouldn't consider the defense infront of Husso much better at all in Detroit. Maybe the pressure from the media and what not might not help him. He's been great so far in the early stages of the season and seems to have solidified himself as the #1 with Ned not playing all that great.

I was thinking more of the pressure that would be on Husso him rather than the Leafs' d-core. I wouldn't be surprised if Husso does solidify himself as a starter, but playing net for the Leafs at this stage in his career would have been like throwing him to the Wolves imo.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:47 a.m.
Thats the difference between having a great GM and whatever Dubas is.

Also the fact Stevie Y pulled out a great-looking 6'8 winger with a 6th round pick lol. that guy has been a gem for them.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:49 a.m.
56 years and countin
No, I meant Husso in Toronto probably doesn't do as well as he's doing now in Toronto. To me it seems that they wanted a goalie that they could walk away from in 2-years so that they could restructure the entire team around the new contracts of Matthews if he extends, but also they don't want to be stuck with a bad goalie.

Both Husso and Murray deals could look bad in Toronto (ala another Mrazek) but before the season, I'm going with Husso with the extra year, even if his numbers aren't as good in Detroit. By the time Nylander/Matthews free agency comes around the Leafs will be out of cap hell, and even more so the following season when Tavares is off.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:50 a.m.
I was thinking more of the pressure that would be on Husso him rather than the Leafs' d-core. I wouldn't be surprised if Husso does solidify himself as a starter, but playing net for the Leafs at this stage in his career would have been like throwing him to the Wolves imo.

I agree, no pressure in Detroit right now even though they seem to be trying to look competitive. The pressure in Toronto is insane and I would expect that locker room is also tense as well. I really feel, even though he's been one of the Leafs best players, that Tavares contract is really hurting them. They should have said if you want to come home we will give you 8M, if you don't want to accept it good luck elsewhere.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:51 a.m.
56 years and countin
Quoting: NDoody
Thats the difference between having a great GM and whatever Dubas is.

Also the fact Stevie Y pulled out a great-looking 6'8 winger with a 6th round pick lol. that guy has been a gem for them.

To be fair most Gm's around the league aren't anywhere near Steve Yzerman not just Dubas. I don't get the Murray trade at all, should have had half retention as well for taking him on.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:53 a.m.
56 years and countin
Both Husso and Murray deals could look bad in Toronto (ala another Mrazek) but before the season, I'm going with Husso with the extra year, even if his numbers aren't as good in Detroit. By the time Nylander/Matthews free agency comes around the Leafs will be out of cap hell, and even more so the following season when Tavares is off.

Or the Leafs could have traded for a guy like Reimer as a backup for cheap. Samsonov wasn't great last year but that tandom to start the season isn't that bad.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:55 a.m.
Future Norris guy
Detroit passes, You can have Ned but Husso isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
56 years and countin
Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61
Detroit passes, You can have Ned but Husso isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

No the trade is that TO beats Detroit in aquiring Husso from St Louis during the summer.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 12:09 p.m.

One cost assets and the other came with them. That kind of suggests to me that they weren't confident in any of the options. I think they are prepared to give Matthews 20% of the cap if they have to, so they are likely to end up in a tight cap situation again in what would be Husso's 3rd year. If he's good then going into the 2024-25 season then it wouldn't be a problem but if he was bad then it becomes a problem.

The way I see it is that they want to have flexibility in the goalie position, since it's the most unpredictable.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 12:11 p.m.
Or the Leafs could have traded for a guy like Reimer as a backup for cheap. Samsonov wasn't great last year but that tandom to start the season isn't that bad.

Samsonov was a top goalie prospect at one time, so they wanted to tap into that potential, he's a low cap hit, and an RFA next year but if they want to they can walk away from him too. He can't really decide to go elsewhere for a bigger paycheck if he does good. Best he can do is go to arbitration.

As for Reimer, I don't think he wants to play in Toronto again. They can always pick up a back up later now.

We need to remember that Samsonov wasn't an option when they acquired Murray, I believe it was the next day that WSH decided not to qualify him.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
56 years and countin
Samsonov was a top goalie prospect at one time, so they wanted to tap into that potential, he's a low cap hit, and an RFA next year but if they want to they can walk away from him too. He can't really decide to go elsewhere for a bigger paycheck if he does good. Best he can do is go to arbitration.

As for Reimer, I don't think he wants to play in Toronto again. They can always pick up a back up later now, but we need to remember that Samsonov wasn't an option when they acquired Murray, I believe it was the next day that WSH decided not to qualify him.

In context Reimer was the starter on a team that was REALLY struggling with one playoff appearence. He'd be the backup here.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 12:36 p.m.
In context Reimer was the starter on a team that was REALLY struggling with one playoff appearence. He'd be the backup here.

So you're saying they should have went with Murray + Reimer instead?

Also, I made a mistake earlier, Murray was acquired after the July 11th 5pm deadline for qualifying RFAs so they knew that Samsonov could have been an option but he may not have chosen them. All the other "1A" options were basically gone Campbell wasn't taking a discount, Georgiev (traded July 7), and Husso (July 8). I don't think they saw Reimer as a 1A option.

Samsonov is definitely a better option to go with over Reimer just because he's younger than Murray, while Reimer is older. So, even if Murray+Reimer made a good tandem, the Leafs can assume from now that they will need a new tandem in 2 years (assuming Reimer extends). Samsonov has the potential to be the goalie for the next 5 years, like Andersen was and perhaps they can get him at the 4m deal that they seem to want so bad (I think they will have to bridge him to a 3mx2, and then he's going to get paid here or elsewhere).

If you meant they could have traded for Reimer after Murray's injury, then the reason they didn't yet is that there is no rush since Murray was allowing them to keep a player that they would otherwise have to move (that's before Muzzin was injured too).
Nov. 1, 2022 at 12:43 p.m.
56 years and countin
So you're saying they should have went with Murray + Reimer instead?

Also, I made a mistake earlier, Murray was acquired after the July 11th 5pm deadline for qualifying RFAs so they knew that Samsonov could have been an option but he may not have chosen them. All the other "1A" options were basically gone Campbell wasn't taking a discount, Georgiev (traded July 7), and Husso (July 8). I don't think they saw Reimer as a 1A option.

Samsonov is definitely a better option to go with over Reimer just because he's younger than Murray, while Reimer is older. So, even if Murray+Reimer made a good tandem, the Leafs can assume from now that they will need a new tandem in 2 years (assuming Reimer extends). Samsonov has the potential to be the goalie for the next 5 years, like Andersen was and perhaps they can get him at the 4m deal that they seem to want so bad (I think they will have to bridge him to a 3mx2, and then he's going to get paid here or elsewhere).

If you meant they could have traded for Reimer after Murray's injury, then the reason they didn't yet is that there is no rush since Murray was allowing them to keep a player that they would otherwise have to move (that's before Muzzin was injured too).

No Samsonov and Reimer in the summer and forgotten about Murray is what I meant
GMBL liked this.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 12:50 p.m.
No Samsonov and Reimer in the summer and forgotten about Murray is what I meant

There was no guarantee that they would have gotten Samsonov in free agency though, so if they went into FA with 0 goalies that would have given Samsonov all the leverage. They could have acquired Reimer first but who knows what the ask was/would have been. They would have had to also been confident that Reimer could be the starter and Woll/Kallgren battle it out for back up.
Nov. 1, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
To be fair most Gm's around the league aren't anywhere near Steve Yzerman not just Dubas. I don't get the Murray trade at all, should have had half retention as well for taking him on.

as a Sens fan I laughed so hard when that trade was announced, I really thought Dorian must have gotten some incriminating photos or videos of dubas.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll