Forums/Armchair-GM

Something needs to change

Created by: Gmonwy
Team: 2022-23 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 3, 2022
Published: Nov. 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
From what I have seen on social media(may be un trustworthy, but something needs to happen) Zary has looked pretty good in the AHL so far this year, and we need a shake up to happen. Do we promote him for his good play and try him on the 3rd instead of Ritchie? Or trade for a top 6 foward and move Toffoli to the 3rd?(lined are OG lines with 1-2 changes)
Don't want to break up that 2nd line but Mangiapane has been impressive, they should promote him to the 1st line
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$72,775,833$0$200,000$9,724,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,900,000$5,900,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 3
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 2
$912,500$912,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 3, 2022 at 11:28 p.m.
Real slow starts and flat bounce back. They look like a stale team right now which isn’t the craziest thing on game 8 of a home stand. I think they fight through this next game with the guys they have and bring a Zary type guy on the road.
In terms of the group they have right now, no issue with giving Rooney a shot on 3LW, looked okay in the pre season but Lucic has to get back down in the line up, he’s done his job but you can’t play Lindholm less 5 on 5 cause Lucic is on his line and the matchups don’t work. Zary should be the first call up, they said earlier on the radio he’s the best player that didn’t make the team.

Huberdeau - Kadri - Toffoli
Dube - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Rooney - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Lewis - Ritchie

What do you think of that for Saturday? Rooney to 4C, Zary to 3 LW for the road trip and Lewis out

73 more games after tonight! Lots of time
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Nov. 3, 2022 at 11:29 p.m.
I think you try the internal option first and if it doesn't give enough success look at trading for a forward. I think Trevor Moore could be a good fit and might price himself out of LA if he could be had for a package with Kylington. Maybe Kapanen in Pittsburgh but I don't think the fit is good. Bertuzzi in Detroit but he might be too expensive and Kylington isn't really a piece they would want (I would expect the return package be around him). Dadonov or Nyquist might be had for cheap as well.
KingofRnR liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 12:24 a.m.
Entering Leafs territory. They didn't show up at all. I think a call up is needed here, Ritchie can still be sent down for free so swap him with someone eager for a chance in the top 9.

Quoting: yycofred
Real slow starts and flat bounce back. They look like a stale team right now which isn’t the craziest thing on game 8 of a home stand. I think they fight through this next game with the guys they have and bring a Zary type guy on the road.
In terms of the group they have right now, no issue with giving Rooney a shot on 3LW, looked okay in the pre season but Lucic has to get back down in the line up, he’s done his job but you can’t play Lindholm less 5 on 5 cause Lucic is on his line and the matchups don’t work. Zary should be the first call up, they said earlier on the radio he’s the best player that didn’t make the team.

Huberdeau - Kadri - Toffoli
Dube - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Rooney - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Lewis - Ritchie

What do you think of that for Saturday? Rooney to 4C, Zary to 3 LW for the road trip and Lewis out

73 more games after tonight! Lots of time

I really liked Dube's game playing with Kadri, I still really think they should run a line of Huberdeau - Lindholm - Mangiapane.

To me Toffoli just wasn't a good fit on that line
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I really liked Dube's game playing with Kadri, I still really think they should run a line of Huberdeau - Lindholm - Mangiapane.

To me Toffoli just wasn't a good fit on that line

I think what I suggested in my head is a bit of a get right line for Lindholm, tough to start slow with Mangiapane and Dube on your line. I do think by season end the Flames top line is Huberdeau, Lindholm, Mangiapane as you suggested. Despite the constant dragging of the guy Toffoli looks dangerous again, 53 shot attempts with only 33 shots, he's shooting right around his career average but not getting a ton of shots through. I think a part of it is that he and Lindholm like to occupy the same space 5 on 5 in the o zone, Lindholm possesses the puck at an elite level on offense and Toffoli doesn't have the quickness to get open when covered. Kadri and Huberdeau are elite at zone entries and opportunities on the rush, tough not to be open when one of those two have the puck at top speed, he should be able to be a good trailer guy on that line that gets a ton of shooting opportunities in dangerous areas.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:09 a.m.
I think what I suggested in my head is a bit of a get right line for Lindholm, tough to start slow with Mangiapane and Dube on your line. I do think by season end the Flames top line is Huberdeau, Lindholm, Mangiapane as you suggested. Despite the constant dragging of the guy Toffoli looks dangerous again, 53 shot attempts with only 33 shots, he's shooting right around his career average but not getting a ton of shots through. I think a part of it is that he and Lindholm like to occupy the same space 5 on 5 in the o zone, Lindholm possesses the puck at an elite level on offense and Toffoli doesn't have the quickness to get open when covered. Kadri and Huberdeau are elite at zone entries and opportunities on the rush, tough not to be open when one of those two have the puck at top speed, he should be able to be a good trailer guy on that line that gets a ton of shooting opportunities in dangerous areas.

Yeah it's nothing against Toffoli. I think what you are saying is accurate here. Him and Lindholm similar players and just don't mesh well. I think Toffoli would fit very well playing with Kadri though (that or with Backlund/Coleman of we acquire another top 6 winger or promote someone from our pool). The Huberdeau line really needed a puck carrier though
yycofred liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Yeah it's nothing against Toffoli. I think what you are saying is accurate here. Him and Lindholm similar players and just don't mesh well. I think Toffoli would fit very well playing with Kadri though (that or with Backlund/Coleman of we acquire another top 6 winger or promote someone from our pool). The Huberdeau line really needed a puck carrier though

Any suggestions on that puck carrier? Might try to make a trade(something I rarely do because I don't want to get hate)
KingofRnR liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:18 a.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
Any suggestions on that puck carrier? Might try to make a trade(something I rarely do because I don't want to get hate)

Tarasenko, Guentzel, Meier, Kane. If we are looking outside. Mangiapane, Pelletier, Coronato from internal.

Too many teams are still "in it" right now do no ones going to sell at least until the new year. Calgary will have to make due internally until then
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:47 a.m.
Tarasenko, Guentzel, Meier, Kane. If we are looking outside. Mangiapane, Pelletier, Coronato from internal.

Too many teams are still "in it" right now do no ones going to sell at least until the new year. Calgary will have to make due internally until then

Quoting: Gmonwy

Columbus looks out of it, what do we think of that Johnny Gaudreau guy?! I think that's his name
Ledge_And_Dairy and Gmonwy liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Columbus looks out of it, what do we think of that Johnny Gaudreau guy?! I think that's his name

Eh, from what I have seen, he is overrated. But I don't watch Columbus much. Plus doesn't he have an AAV of like 9.5 mill a year? We can't afford that🤣
yycofred liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 2:23 p.m.
TrevorA

My general recommendation has been putting Toffoli on line 3 at LW with Backlund & Coleman, but to the Lindholm/Toffoli connection, they did well together against the Kraken, even though they were carrying a bit of an anchor in Lucic.

I find Toffoli is best from the left offensive zone dot or right in front of the net = LOW whereas Lindholm likes to be farther out between the dots and/or Centre Right = HIGH.
Toffoli needs a Centre who can win FaceOffs so they can do set plays OR he can get possession and his quick release off. They need a winger who can pass and set them up, which Hubderdeau wasn't successful at from the left side (Gaudreau used to go wrap behind the net and throw it out in front for Lindholm or Tkachuk from either side, which Huby doesn't do). Lucic certainly isn't going to do it and I'm not confident Mang, Coleman (who shouldn't be separated from Backlund) or Dube can do it well enough either, so I say try Adam Ruzicka, Matthew Phillips or Connor Zary at RW with them. Funny how MTL tried Monahan at RW and he had good success there for them

Huberdeau-Kadri-Dube (Similar to FLA with 2 Left Shot Line Mates Bennett & Duclair)
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman (Dominant Two Way Line from Last Season)
Toffoli-Lindholm-Ruzicka/Phillips/Zary (Offensive Line 3 with Strong Centre Defender)
Lucic-Rooney/Lewis-Ritchie (Big Heavy Checking Line that Gets Shots On Net)

Weegar-Andersson
Hanifin-Stone
Mackey-Zadorov (since Tanev is injured)

Flames Centre Depth is set, so Ruzicka should be groomed to be a Left Shot RW Power Forward similar to Tarasenko, otherwise acquiring Luke Kunin or Fabian Zetterlund would be good, except our best Trade Piece in Kylington is out, so Trade Proposals for him should be shelved until he's back

I agree finding a decent Trade right now isn't likely, so thoughts on bringing in Alex Chiasson as the 3RW and mentor for Ruzicka? Could be on a PTO basis too

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll