SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Boston Bruins signed Mitchell Miller (3 Years / $950,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Nov. 5, 2022 at 6:32 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
It's not even "Not remorseful enough"

He's done nothing. The judge said he wasn't remorseful, he's done 0 community service with minorities or disabled communities. Until he does that, he won't even sniff the NHL, and Bettman confirmed he does have somewhat of a heart.

He has done community service. And he did write an apology letter to victim. He also lost his athletic scholarship, was suspended from school, has done counseling and done cultural training.

What he did was terrible. But if there is no path for him, as it sounds like NHL is saying, than that is a permanent ban for something a kid did when he was 14 years old.

If anything, it should be notice to any 14-year old...that any action today that could be judged in future could have permanent consequences.

At some point, people pay their debts to society and have to be able to move on. Should he ever get a job in NHL? Should he ever get a job anywhere? Should he be allowed to rent a house? Own a car? Should we lock him up forever? Who's next?
McGruff and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 5, 2022 at 6:33 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: NHLfan10506
He has done community service. And he did write an apology letter to victim. He also lost his athletic scholarship, was suspended from school, has done counseling and done cultural training.

What he did was terrible. But if there is no path for him, as it sounds like NHL is saying, than that is a permanent ban for something a kid did when he was 14 years old.

If anything, it should be notice to any 14-year old...that any action today that could be judged in future could have permanent consequences.

At some point, people pay their debts to society and have to be able to move on. Should he ever get a job in NHL? Should he ever get a job anywhere? Should he be allowed to rent a house? Own a car? Should we lock him up forever? Who's next?

i personally would like to see where the proof is that hes done community service & written an apology letter... because i genuinely havent seen any
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 5, 2022 at 6:39 p.m.
Quoting: zk97
i personally would like to see where the proof is that hes done community service & written an apology letter... because i genuinely havent seen any

Was in today’s Atheltic article
Nov. 5, 2022 at 7:16 p.m.
torontos finest
Should he ever get a job in NHL?

no

completely welcome to get a job with the rank and file like the rest of us
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Nov. 5, 2022 at 7:39 p.m.
I think its a slippery slope if we start banning people for something they did as a teen.

And "not remorseful enough" is a frightening, open-ended standard that should not have permanent consequences.

Apologizing and showing remorse is the start of getting a second/third/forth chance for this guy but he hasn't done any of that.

I'm all for second chances, granted that some work is done to show there's actual genuine remorse.
A_Habs_fan, Trickster, CSStrowbridge and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 5, 2022 at 8:00 p.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
There is exactly zero evidence he has matured.

i guess there is also 0 evidence that he has not matured. not quite something you can quantify on a random internet site in which most people dont do research. truth is here no one really knows. (im not defending the signing just so its clear)
Went_Wughes liked this.
Nov. 5, 2022 at 10:23 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: oneX
Apologizing and showing remorse is the start of getting a second/third/forth chance for this guy but he hasn't done any of that.

I'm all for second chances, granted that some work is done to show there's actual genuine remorse.

Well clearly Gary Bettman isn’t one for second chances
Nov. 5, 2022 at 11:44 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
no

completely welcome to get a job with the rank and file like the rest of us

So, permanent ban for something he did when he was 14-years old? What if was 11-years old? Or 8?
Nov. 5, 2022 at 11:46 p.m.
WentWughes
So, permanent ban for something he did when he was 14-years old? What if was 11-years old? Or 8?

He did do it when he was 11 & 8, & 9 & 10 & 12 &13. He doesn't deserve a 2nd chance after showing 0 remorse for it until it only benefit him, and then he did it in a half assed way
Nov. 6, 2022 at 1:30 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
NHLPA has stepped in and is going at Bettman for his comments on Miller

Things about to get spicy
zk97 liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 1:32 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
Well clearly Gary Bettman isn’t one for second chances

NHLPA says otherwise we in for some fun now

Surprised they going for this and not the Beach situation
Nov. 6, 2022 at 1:48 a.m.

The point is, when you do something wrong/hateful and haven't taken steps to apologize, show remorse, you don't deserve a second chance until these things are done.

It's the very basics of getting a second chance.
A_Habs_fan, Random2152, Trickster and 2 others liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 7:51 a.m.
Quoting: Bruins1054_gmb
Awful story what I have read about this guy. However, he was a kid when it happened. Hopefully he's matured. The Bruins rarely takes chances on projects like this, so I am curious about what they see in him (both hockey ability and human character). Incredibly atrocious act against a disabled kid, no doubt, but a person's entire life should not be trashed by a bad incident in their youth.

No. No no no. No
Nov. 6, 2022 at 7:55 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I guess u can bully, be racist, not apologize to the victim or his/her family and STILL GET AN NHL DEAL

**** OFF

Boston sunk to a new low even by their standards

What standards are those? Having an awesome culture of philanthropy and on-ice success? Those ones?
Nov. 6, 2022 at 7:56 a.m.
Quoting: Canesfan21_
Classic Boston

When has boston ever done anything like this in the history of anything?
Nov. 6, 2022 at 7:57 a.m.
Quoting: Kjell_Forsman
Bruins organization=subhuman trash. Disgusting move. Absolutely disgusting TRASH.

Settle down.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 7:57 a.m.
Quoting: MurrayRoster
Completely on brand for the Bruins

When have they ever done anything like this ever?
Nov. 6, 2022 at 8:00 a.m.
I think its a slippery slope if we start banning people for something they did as a teen.

And "not remorseful enough" is a frightening, open-ended standard that should not have permanent consequences.

I think the answer to the question: Is anything that a 14 year old can do bad enough to get him banned from the NHL has to be yes. Then we go on to discuss what actions would justify that.

For me, bullying a disabled minority in a horribly racist, and abusive way is far enough for me. Shouldn’t be allowed to touch nhl ice.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 9:10 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
The point is, when you do something wrong/hateful and haven't taken steps to apologize, show remorse, you don't deserve a second chance until these things are done.

It's the very basics of getting a second chance.

But he did apologize, he did cultural sensitivity training, he did counseling, he did volunteer with disabled groups.

And yet, people want him permanently banned from hockey.

For something he did when he was 14-years old.

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
He did do it when he was 11 & 8, & 9 & 10 & 12 &13. He doesn't deserve a 2nd chance after showing 0 remorse for it until it only benefit him, and then he did it in a half assed way

Again, "not remorseful enough", is a scary open-ended charge.

1. Person does bad thing
2. Person gets punishment for bad thing.
3. Person completes punishment for bad thing.

...is how our system is set up.

Adding a layer for the judgement of of one character is totally against our system. And in this case, its not even his current character than is being judged, its his character in the period after he was caught. (We have seen it doesn't matter what he does now). It becomes a slippery slope...

Player W bullied kids on his bus in 4th grade, never did anything to make amends.
Player X got in a fight in 3rd grade, never apologized.
Player Y stole money in 5th grade, never returned it.
Player Z used derogatory slurs in 6th grade, never showed remorse.

Ban 'em all?
Doshee liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 9:11 a.m.
Who's next?

Logan Mailloux - permanent ban from hockey and NHL punishing Montreal for drafting him
Tony Deangelo - permanent ban from hockey and NHL punishing Tampa Bay for drafting him, Arizona, NY Rangers, Carolina, Philadelphia for employing him
Alex Ovechkin - permanent ban from hockey and NHL punishing Washington for employing him
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 10:20 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
This should not be allowed. Kid Tortures another for like 10 plus years and then still gets to be in the nhl and gets paid. The world is really messed up. Meanwhile the kid that was bullied is probably working at a gas station on minimum wage and going to therapy once a week.

Not fair at all
SnakeDelilah, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 3 others liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 10:30 a.m.
to be banned soon
Edited Nov. 6, 2022 at 12:45 p.m.
gotta keep in mind that since this guy keeps refusing to apologize for what he did at 14 it's almost guaranteed that he probably did something scummy and manipulative at 20 because this is how hockey culture works
A_Habs_fan, zk97, mokumboi and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 12:20 p.m.
mokumboi

1- Dude. Just stop with this "any action" slippery slope stuff. We're not talking about "any action" here. By your logic, nothing should have lasting repercussions.

2- He cannot even apologize directly to the kid or show up at a reconciliation meeting. And nobody ever said he shouldn't be able to have a home or car, or that he should be in prison forever. That's a whole lot of irrelevant work to defend this slimebag. But let's play this game for a second. Should people be forced to associate with someone like this? Again, this is a big fight against genuine repercussions for routinely heinous behavior against someone with a disability. Surely there are better hills to die on.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 12:39 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: drambui
i guess there is also 0 evidence that he has not matured. not quite something you can quantify on a random internet site in which most people dont do research. truth is here no one really knows. (im not defending the signing just so its clear)

Who's next?

Logan Mailloux - permanent ban from hockey and NHL punishing Montreal for drafting him
Tony Deangelo - permanent ban from hockey and NHL punishing Tampa Bay for drafting him, Arizona, NY Rangers, Carolina, Philadelphia for employing him
Alex Ovechkin - permanent ban from hockey and NHL punishing Washington for employing him

Gotta love the morally virtuous gang bang. Woke and cancel culture have people out of their minds.

I hope Miller is vaccinated.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 12:45 p.m.
to be banned soon
Quoting: Went_Wughes
Gotta love the morally virtuous gang bang. Woke and cancel culture have people out of their minds.

I hope Miller is vaccinated.

surprised that it took four pages for someone to fire the first "cAnCeL cUlTuRe BaD" salvo

progress?
A_Habs_fan, Doshee, M_Swann and 2 others liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit