SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Why did the Bruins just sign a guy who bullied a disabled black classmate in HS

Nov. 4, 2022 at 5:52 p.m.
Just a question
Nov. 4, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.
Sweeney doing everything he can to hold the team back doesn't really surprise me- I just didn't think he'd go this far
wylewubas and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Because talent always comes before character.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 5:59 p.m.
I guess there was going to be some team bound to. It’s pretty ridiculous honestly. It’s probably an absolute slap to the face of the poor kid’s family that an NHL team signed him.
OldNYIfan and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 6:23 p.m.
Which witch is which
The better question should be "Why are you cheering for a team that signed a player who bullied a disabled black kid"?
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 6:27 p.m.
Levi
Absolutely disgusting. Especially for a guy that has not even shown the slightest bit of remorse.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 6:53 p.m.
Dekesaladekes
Quoting: Levig01
Absolutely disgusting. Especially for a guy that has not even shown the slightest bit of remorse.

He definitely effed up big time and the B’s have said he will be attending some programs to work on himself, but we are acting like this is the first time the league has thrown stuff like this under the rug. Cough* cough* mailloux, deangelo, patty Kane, 20+ WJ Canadian players that continued to have NHL or still have NHL careers.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
This signing was so bad that THE GM OF THE BRUINS can’t even say it was the right decision
Nov. 4, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
I’m not trying to defend the kid. But people to change and grow. I remember what I was like as a teenager/early 20s. Not exactly a model citizen.
BruinsCharlies and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
Quoting: Iggwilv
The better question should be "Why are you cheering for a team that signed a player who bullied a disabled black kid"?

Because there are more than hundreds of other good people in the organization and one bad guy doesn't mean the whole organization is awful. It's a stupid decision but just because you're a fan of the team, it doesn't mean you support every move.

In the meantime, think of an answer to this question for when your favorite team sign a player like that. It will come.
BruinsCharlies, zk97, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 4, 2022 at 9:36 p.m.
NoMoreJustin
It’s a business and it’s about winning. If he can play a team will take him.
Nov. 5, 2022 at 1:25 a.m.
Dekesaladekes
Quoting: nintendofan721
This signing was so bad that THE GM OF THE BRUINS can’t even say it was the right decision

I think the quote was mid interpreted. I think he meant like if he works on himself and apologizes in person and becomes a good person it’s a good signing but if he falls back into a whole then it’s bad. I think he meant like only time will tell on the this decision
Nov. 6, 2022 at 1:25 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
It's gonna be interesting to see how this develops

Seems Sweeney didn't give a **** and just went for it

Bettman and others didn't approve and Bettman said some things about him not being permitted to play in NHL. With AHL saying well we don't know if he can play as it seems he's suspended

But surprisingly NHLPA has come to Millers defense saying Bettmans comments were false as if he was suspended he would have been allowed to have his deal registered by the NHL office

Either way while it wasn't right I got a feeling he's gonna play in either the AHL or ECHL for now
Nov. 6, 2022 at 8:28 a.m.

Oh kick rocks. If toronto did this you would be renouncing your fandom.

This sucks and i’m really angry at the bruins, and frankly embarrassed by them. I’m not going to throw the jersey that i don’t have away and become a devils fan or something.
LloydminsterLarry and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 1:31 p.m.
NoMoreJustin
Quoting: DefenseFirst
Oh kick rocks. If toronto did this you would be renouncing your fandom.

This sucks and i’m really angry at the bruins, and frankly embarrassed by them. I’m not going to throw the jersey that i don’t have away and become a devils fan or something.

These SJW keyboard warriors are the worst of the worst.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
Which witch is which
Edited Nov. 6, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: bhavikp27
Because there are more than hundreds of other good people in the organization and one bad guy doesn't mean the whole organization is awful. It's a stupid decision but just because you're a fan of the team, it doesn't mean you support every move.

In the meantime, think of an answer to this question for when your favorite team sign a player like that. It will come.

I'll take that challenge.
If the Leafs signed him, I would write a letter to management expressing my disgust with the decision and I would refuse to watch the Leafs.
I've put up with a lot of pain, anguish and disappointment with the Leafs over the years, they are the only team I have ever cheered for, Us Leafs fans take a lot of heat for our loyalty, but if the Leafs signed him to an NHL contract I would absolutely, 100% end my support to the team. It would be done, OVER, kaputz.
I would only return to support the Leafs when the situation was rectified and the management that made the decision in the first place was replaced.
This specific individual went beyond just being and ignorant 14 yr old kid who said some racist crap (most likely at that age he didn't even fully understand racism). This was systemic racism, mental and physical abuse of a disabled kid. HE ASSAULTED AND HUMILIATED A DISABLED CHILD... and this abuse went on for years. When I read about what he did I was physically repelled and felt nauseated. Honestly, I don;t know how this guy has been able to get by without a serious sh*tkicking.... if someone did that to anyone I knew I would probably end up in jail. This isn't just racism, this is a sick, twisted human being. He has shown no remorse, made no effort publicly to address the things he's done beyond a minor statement of regret... and the bruins just rewarded him with $950,000 annually for 3 yrs. Normally, I would give someone a 2nd chance if it was an isolated incident or a human error in judgement that we are all capable of making. Not this time, not with this guy.
I watch these incidents very closely, I will admit I have a tiny fear inside that the Leafs could make the same mistake and hire or sign someone with a record of deplorable behaviour. That fear is because I know there are certain things that will test my loyalty... and some that would end it.
If the Leafs ever hired Joel Quenneville... I would be done.
If they ever signed one of the players involved in the sexual assaults that have come to light.... I would be done.
If anyone in the Leafs organization conducted themselves in this manner and the Leafs failed to cut ties with them... I would be done.
My loyalty for a sports franchise never comes at the cost of abandoning my own moral principals or respect for other people.
Thankfully I trust the Leafs current management as they have conducted themselves with integrity in recent years. I have walked away from the Leafs in the past (Harold Ballard for example) and there was an incident recently where a goaltender in our minor league affiliate sexually assaulted a girl... he was immediately cut from the organization and all ties were severed. The Leafs did this quietly and respectfully to protect the identity of the woman. The reason you don't hear about them is because Toronto management has always dealt with them swiftly and appropriately.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
If the Leafs signed him, I would write a letter to management expressing my disgust with the decision and I would refuse to watch the Leafs.
I've put up with a lot of pain, anguish and disappointment with the Leafs over the years, they are the only team I have ever cheered for, Us Leafs fans take a lot of heat for our loyalty, but if the Leafs signed him to an NHL contract I would absolutely, 100% end my support to the team. It would be done, OVER, kaputz.
I would only return to support the Leafs when the situation was rectified and the management that made the decision in the first place was replaced.
This specific individual went beyond just being and ignorant 14 yr old kid who said some racist crap (most likely at that age he didn't even fully understand racism). This was systemic racism, mental and physical abuse of a disabled kid. HE ASSAULTED AND HUMILIATED A DISABLED CHILD... and this abuse went on for years. When I read about what he did I was physically repelled and felt nauseated. Honestly, I don;t know how this guy has been able to get by without a serious sh*tkicking.... if someone did that to anyone I knew I would probably end up in jail. This isn't just racism, this is a sick, twisted human being. He has shown no remorse, made no effort publicly to address the things he's done beyond a minor statement of regret... and the bruins just rewarded him with $950,000 annually for 3 yrs. Normally, I would give someone a 2nd chance if it was an isolated incident or a human error in judgement that we are all capable of making. Not this time, not with this guy.
I watch these incidents very closely, I will admit I have a tiny fear inside that the Leafs could make the same mistake and hire or sign someone with a record of deplorable behaviour. That fear is because I know there are certain things that will test my loyalty... and some that would end it.
If they ever signed one of the players involved in the sexual assaults that have come to light.... I would be done.
If anyone in the Leafs organization conducted themselves in this manner and the Leafs failed to cut ties with them... I would be done.
My loyalty for a sports franchise never comes at the cost of abandoning my own moral principals or respect for other people.
Thankfully I trust the Leafs current management as they have conducted themselves with integrity in recent years. I have walked away from the Leafs in the past (Harold Ballard for example) and there was an incident recently where a goaltender in our minor league affiliate sexually assaulted a girl... he was immediately cut from the organization and all ties were severed. The Leafs did this quietly and respectfully to protect the identity of the woman. The reason you don't hear about them is because Toronto management has always dealt with them swiftly and appropriately.

"The reason you don't hear about them is because Toronto management has always dealt with them swiftly and appropriately" You don't know that or you can't be 100% sure of that. Maybe they were interested by some players with off-ice issues but another team ended up signing him before.

Anyways, to each their opinion. I'm not going to stop watching the entire team (who has way more good than bad) because of few individuals decisions. You would, good for you.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
Edited Nov. 6, 2022 at 7:35 p.m.

Just wondering, if it ever came out who the other teams were that offered Miller a contract and it just so happened that the Leafs were among one of the teams, would you actually walk the talk?

Also, isn't it fair to say that the owner of the team is informed and needs to approve of the moves being done to their team. So would you also wait for the ownership group of the team be replaced before returning as a fan again?
Nov. 6, 2022 at 9:15 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
It's gonna be interesting to see how this develops

Seems Sweeney didn't give a **** and just went for it

Bettman and others didn't approve and Bettman said some things about him not being permitted to play in NHL. With AHL saying well we don't know if he can play as it seems he's suspended

But surprisingly NHLPA has come to Millers defense saying Bettmans comments were false as if he was suspended he would have been allowed to have his deal registered by the NHL office

Either way while it wasn't right I got a feeling he's gonna play in either the AHL or ECHL for now

The most obvious outcome of all time….
Nov. 6, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
MassToSoCal
The outrage mob got what they wanted. It’s not this kid getting axed that’s the problem because I don’t care that we dropped the kid. I am 100% ok with the decision to boot him. I knew as soon as I heard the signing there would be an internet mob forming. Don and Cam had to know that. I think Gary opening his big mouth did this in.

It’s not about this kid. It’s about the fact that this mob goes for whatever scalp it can claim. They went after Ian Cole without a shred of evidence. They want the heads of all those Canadian 2018 WJC players without any evidence. They wanted the heads of anyone willing to sign Deangelo, a guy who never broke any law or was even accused of wrongdoing. It’s not about this kid, it’s about the internet mob and the sickness that is their beehive mentality for “social justice”.
Nov. 6, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
Which witch is which
Quoting: KennyBoi
Just wondering, if it ever came out who the other teams were that offered Miller a contract and it just so happened that the Leafs were among one of the teams, would you actually walk the talk?

Also, isn't it fair to say that the owner of the team is informed and needs to approve of the moves being done to their team. So would you also wait for the ownership group of the team be replaced before returning as a fan again?

Straw-man arguments are a sign of two-dimensional thinking.
You will never attain a conclusion on any issue if you're approach is through logical fallacy.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 12:56 a.m.
Which witch is which
... and kudos for Boston for reversing the signing.
"Based on new information"... curious to know what that is, but kind of don't want to.
Hopefully this sad story can come to a conclusion, preferably in a positive way for the victim and his family.
Boston has done the right thing.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 7:22 a.m.
Quoting: PhysicalGraffiti
The outrage mob got what they wanted. It’s not this kid getting axed that’s the problem because I don’t care that we dropped the kid. I am 100% ok with the decision to boot him. I knew as soon as I heard the signing there would be an internet mob forming. Don and Cam had to know that. I think Gary opening his big mouth did this in.

It’s not about this kid. It’s about the fact that this mob goes for whatever scalp it can claim. They went after Ian Cole without a shred of evidence. They want the heads of all those Canadian 2018 WJC players without any evidence. They wanted the heads of anyone willing to sign Deangelo, a guy who never broke any law or was even accused of wrongdoing. It’s not about this kid, it’s about the internet mob and the sickness that is their beehive mentality for “social justice”.

Oh quit the “wahhhhh cancel culture,” routine. The bruins realized they made a horrible decision and did their best to save their skin. The commissioners statement was likely what made the difference, not “the big scary mob.”

They didn’t go after Ian cole, they paid him while they quickly investigated.
You presuming to know what evidence they have for the 2018 case is all time stupid.
I don’t see anything wrong with giving crap to a franchise that went after a guy thats been suspended twice for using racial slurs.

I’m going to summarize your position for you, because maybe you haven’t noticed how it comes across.

Seems like you’re really upset that people can no longer be horrible humans, and do horrible things without consequences.

That’s trash.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 7:23 a.m.

Bahahaha you’d write a letter?

Grow up.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 7:25 a.m.
... and kudos for Boston for reversing the signing.
"Based on new information"... curious to know what that is, but kind of don't want to.
Hopefully this sad story can come to a conclusion, preferably in a positive way for the victim and his family.
Boston has done the right thing.

There wasn’t any new info in my opinion. Neely lied. The statement was a cop out, and i was pretty pissed off by it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll