Forums/Boston Bruins

Why did the Bruins just sign a guy who bullied a disabled black classmate in HS

Nov. 7, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
torontos finest
contract got voided. cancel culture strikes again
Nov. 7, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
contract got voided. cancel culture strikes again

And here we have it. The worst take on this site. How on earth is this cancel culture? He plead guilty to all this stuff.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 3:45 p.m.
Which witch is which
Quoting: DefenseFirst
There wasn’t any new info in my opinion. Neely lied. The statement was a cop out, and i was pretty pissed off by it.

Yeah, I tend to think the same way.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.
Which witch is which
And here we have it. The worst take on this site. How on earth is this cancel culture? He plead guilty to all this stuff.

Agreed.
There is nothing cancel culture about this. He might as well be claiming "cancel culture" sent Harvey Weinstein to jail and it had nothing to do with the things he did wrong.
It's pretty sad to realize we have people in our society that think those responsible for deplorable behavior are the victims and that the actual victim and those who stand up for the rights of that person are the bad guys.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
Quoting: Iggwilv
Agreed.
There is nothing cancel culture about this. He might as well be claiming "cancel culture" sent Harvey Weinstein to jail and it had nothing to do with the things he did wrong.
It's pretty sad to realize we have people in our society that think those responsible for deplorable behavior are the victims and that the actual victim and those who stand up for the rights of that person are the bad guys.

It’s getting to the point where the statement, “cancel culture strikes again,” is akin to saying, “I’m sick of people that do horrible things having consequences to their actions.”

Another ridiculous hypocritical stance is that usually the same crowd that screams cancel culture are the ones that are super supportive of private businesses being able to make decisions in the best interest of their business (like vaccine mandates and whatnot). The bruins just decided that it was in the best interest of their business to not employ this guy. How on earth is that cancel culture?
Nov. 7, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
torontos finest

lol you think i'm serious

my actual opinion is here: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/649921/5/
Nov. 7, 2022 at 6:41 p.m.
Straw-man arguments are a sign of two-dimensional thinking.
You will never attain a conclusion on any issue if you're approach is through logical fallacy.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious what you would do in that situation.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.

Uhhh ya. I did. Why would anyone think you weren’t being serious? Do you expect that every time you make what seems like a very straight forward, clear and concise statement, that other posters are supposed to dig through your post history to try to determine if there’s any heavily veiled sarcasm?

If the answer to that is yes, i would like to amend my previous statement.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 6:50 p.m.
Straw-man arguments are a sign of two-dimensional thinking.
You will never attain a conclusion on any issue if you're approach is through logical fallacy.

Cmon dude, he’s got a point. Clearly from my statements on this thread, i was very against this signing, I’m elated they released him, and I fully call BS on all the verbiage and rhetoric regarding this whole process.

Am I supposed to start rooting against Patrice Bergeron because of this? Fans can continue to like the bruins, while heavily criticizing the actions of the organization. Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 11:28 p.m.
MassToSoCal
Oh quit the “wahhhhh cancel culture,” routine. The bruins realized they made a horrible decision and did their best to save their skin. The commissioners statement was likely what made the difference, not “the big scary mob.”

They didn’t go after Ian cole, they paid him while they quickly investigated.
You presuming to know what evidence they have for the 2018 case is all time stupid.
I don’t see anything wrong with giving crap to a franchise that went after a guy thats been suspended twice for using racial slurs.

I’m going to summarize your position for you, because maybe you haven’t noticed how it comes across.

Seems like you’re really upset that people can no longer be horrible humans, and do horrible things without consequences.

That’s trash.

Nonsense, no one cares about accountability. It’s about going after the people the mob doesn’t like. That’s all it’s been about and all it’ll ever be about.
Nov. 7, 2022 at 11:37 p.m.
Quoting: PhysicalGraffiti
Nonsense, no one cares about accountability. It’s about going after the people the mob doesn’t like. That’s all it’s been about and all it’ll ever be about.

Just a world class stupid take.
Nov. 8, 2022 at 9:34 a.m.

People want him banned from hockey because "something he did when he was 14-years-old" was something he was convicted for in juvenile court; and something that he showed no remorse for unless said remorse would gain him access to further his career, something the magistrate in his case concluded.

This isn't some "slippery slope" case where we need to feel obligated to dig into the background of every NHL player to find something to "cancel" them. There is a clear legal violation and condemnation of this kid's behaviour and there are clear indications that he has shown no remorse and no growth for his actions; and he's multiple opportunities to rectify this. He only apologized to Isaiah Meyer-Crothers over Instagram this year, six years after he was in court. Unless you want to be skeptical to the point of naivety, it's obvious this apology was done to check off a box on a list in order to get an NHL contract.

Also, his volunteer work was 24 and a half hours. You need more volunteer work to graduate high school. His cultural sensitivity and counselling should be the bare minimum to have a good standing back into society and not to earn and NHL contract.

Hundreds of kids get drafted into the NHL and not everyone ends up with a contract (let alone one with maxed performance bonuses). Nearly all of those other kids are able to get through their teenage years without systematically abusing a classmate, what makes Miller so deserving of a contract? His "second chance" is to put this behind him, learn from it and contribute to society in a meaningful way; this incident should be a barrier to him making the NHL. The precedent should be set for Miller and everyone after him - if you end up convinced in juvenile court for bullying a classmate, you shouldn't make the NHL.

You made some good points here, but this final sentence reaffirms my worry about this case. People’s desire to ban him does not come from his lack of remorse, or the little work he has done on himself to improve. But instead comes from the action itself.

What if he was 12? Or even 10 or 8 years old? If banning him works for NHL, should it not work for other organizations and industries? Should he ever be able to work again? Rent a house? Lease a car? Marry a wife?

I do not think this approach serves society well at all. If we want to make long-term improvements, we must educate and correct our wrongful actions. To do that, we must practice acceptance and forgiveness.

As Abraham Lincoln once said, “Mercy bears richer fruits than justice.”
Nov. 8, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: NHLfan10506
You made some good points here, but this final sentence reaffirms my worry about this case. People’s desire to ban him does not come from his lack of remorse, or the little work he has done on himself to improve. But instead comes from the action itself.

What if he was 12? Or even 10 or 8 years old? If banning him works for NHL, should it not work for other organizations and industries? Should he ever be able to work again? Rent a house? Lease a car? Marry a wife?

I do not think this approach serves society well at all. If we want to make long-term improvements, we must educate and correct our wrongful actions. To do that, we must practice acceptance and forgiveness.

As Abraham Lincoln once said, “Mercy bears richer fruits than justice.”

I literally said his "second chance" is to put this behind him, learn from it and contribute to society in a meaningful way; this incident should be a barrier to him making the NHL. Feel like you're jumping off a cliff here by trying to suggest I'm saying he shouldn't be able to work or marry or whatever. Every other hockey prospect was able to get through their teenage years just fine without getting convicted so I believe my last sentence is a suitable cut off point for entry into the NHL. Maybe we can visit it the next time a player is in this situation.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 8, 2022 at 9:54 p.m.
I literally said his "second chance" is to put this behind him, learn from it and contribute to society in a meaningful way; this incident should be a barrier to him making the NHL. Feel like you're jumping off a cliff here by trying to suggest I'm saying he shouldn't be able to work or marry or whatever. Every other hockey prospect was able to get through their teenage years just fine without getting convicted so I believe my last sentence is a suitable cut off point for entry into the NHL. Maybe we can visit it the next time a player is in this situation.

A 14-year-old boy makes a huge mistake, but he is still just a 14-year-old boy. Please let that sink in. I agree with NHLfan10506 when he said, "educate and correct" and practice "acceptance and forgiveness". To tell a boy who made a huge mistake at 14 that his "second chance" should preclude him from doing what he loves and what he wants to do does not align with these principles. I respect that that is the "second chance" you want to give, I just don't agree with it. ...get through their teenage years just fine without getting convicted... is a suitable cut off point for entry into the NHL... There are some current NHL players who, while never convicted as teenagers, committed egregious acts as ADULT teenagers. See HOCKEY CANADA SCANDALS. If convicted, should they be expelled from the NHL permanently?
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 8, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: BruinsCharlies
If convicted, should they be expelled from the NHL permanently?

.......yes?!?!?

Being 14 years old doesn't excuse what he did. Maybe he should've thought about his potential NHL career before he systematically abused his classmate.
bhavikp27 liked this.
Nov. 10, 2022 at 10:24 p.m.

I cant tell if this is sarcastic or not

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll