SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #5: Montreal’s youngster wonders

Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:36 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Classy sportsmanship from the fans, haven’t seen all the disallowed goals but one was clear interference on Murray when he played the puck and another per the rule book was never going to count

After watching all 3 disallowed goals, my takes: 1. Bastian was in the crease, barely touched Murray though, it’s a 50/50, depends which ref and how he’s feeling tbh. 2. That’s clear interference, Murray got interfered with as he played the puck, fell and couldn’t get back to the net, thats interference. 3. That’s a clear kicking motion from Haula, really the only argument I can see against that is that it went off the Leafs D skate after but per the rule book ( Rule 49.2 - A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. ) that doesn’t matter.

Overall, the refs got at least 2 calls right
MatthewsFan, Tintin and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
1. Bastian hardly touched him and it had zero impact on the play. It was embarrassing call.

2. It was incidental contact which is allowed outside crease. If it was interference, there would have been a penalty as there is no such thing as a non-penalty interference call that can stop play dead.

3. It went off Robertsons skate. Haula didn’t kick it in.

Leafs didn’t deserve to win that game. Devils were the better team. Enjoy the gift.

For the 3rd one: Rule 49.2 - A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. You can argue whether it should be a rule or not but per the rule, it’s a disallowed goal
Tintin liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:41 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
For the 3rd one: Rule 49.2 - A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. You can argue whether it should be a rule or not but per the rule, it’s a disallowed goal

The "kick" was a between-the-legs-to-stick-play...not a flying drop kick from the top rope!
3-2 Dee-ville's

OR

4-2 really...
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:43 p.m.
Quoting: McGruff
The "kick" was a between-the-legs-to-stick-play...not a flying drop kick from the top rope!
3-2 Dee-ville's

OR

4-2 really...

It’s a clear kicking motion, whether it’s a “between-the-legs-to-stick-play” doesn’t matter in this case
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:44 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: aadoyle
U can outplay all u want doesnt mean u gonna win. 2 goalie interference calls and a kick in = no goals NHL got rules for that.

Lucky NJ fans didnt give the team a penalty as thats just shameful behaviour

Either way it is what it is. Just tell Tatar to not hit the goalie and no more interference call backs its simple

What about Matt Murray’s delay of game or did that get shaded out through your blue and white glasses?

First goal Bastian didn’t stop Murray from stopping the puck

Second goal: “Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

Third goal: It hit the Leafs player skate after Haula kicked it

The fact that two of the goals were waived off immediately is wack
justaBoss and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
It’s a clear kicking motion, whether it’s a “between-the-legs-to-stick-play” doesn’t matter in this case

In general NHL allows those kinds of plays everyone gonna be doing it.

Players should just avoid kicking pucks and hitting goalies its simple
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:53 p.m.
Quoting: Devil
What about Matt Murray’s delay of game or did that get shaded out through your blue and white glasses?

Second goal: “Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

Murray didnt really do it as if u look something broke off from how hard he hit the net . Like they brought a drill and everything. If it was as simple as he pushed it off the crew wouldnt have come on to fix officials just put it back and play on. The way it was something was broke down there as when u bring a new piece and everything he must have bent it with the momentum. Heck before that though he was putting it back lul
torontos finest

first one was iffy

second one was clear interference. tatar didn't make a reasonable effort to avoid contact

third one was a clear kick, even with the deflection.

don't throw trash on the ice and at players
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.

ROBERTSON KICKED IT IN HIS OWN NET!!

It’s meant to be a subjective call. Not like an offsides.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:51 p.m.
ROBERTSON KICKED IT IN HIS OWN NET!!

It’s meant to be a subjective call. Not like an offsides.

Hauls kicked it, then it hit Robertson skate, which part of “Rule 49.2 A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player” isn’t understood
aadoyle, Saskleaf and Sklikly liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:53 p.m.

The Murray delay was a veteran move. Didn’t bother me a bit. He knows when his team is getting embarrassed in front of him.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Hauls kicked it, then it hit Robertson skate, which part of “Rule 49.2 A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player” isn’t understood

In general if they allow that everyone gonna be doing it then were gonna get the 50/50 counting and not counting

Bar has been set so if one counts then k we got problems
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:54 p.m.
torontos finest
The Murray delay was a veteran move. Didn’t bother me a bit. He knows when his team is getting embarrassed in front of him.

yeah the leafs were the embarrassing ones in the arena. not the fans throwing stuff onto the ice
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:59 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: mondo
first one was iffy

second one was clear interference. tatar didn't make a reasonable effort to avoid contact

I was at the game. Didn’t throw anything on the ice

The Devils were in control basically the entire game with the crowds momentum. If any of those goals counted, it would have been a completely different game
Nov. 23, 2022 at 10:59 p.m.

A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net with his skate/foot."

That’s the rule
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:01 p.m.
first one was iffy

My TLDR is fairly similar, 1st goal was iffy, Bastian is in the crease but barely touches Murray, in the end, call probably depends on the refs on the ice threshold of what is goalie interference. 2nd goal is interference, Tatar makes contact with Murray that prevents his ability to reach the net and doesn’t really avoid contact. 3rd one is a rule violation, arguing about the rule doesn’t change that per the rule book it’s not a goal
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:02 p.m.
Go leafs go
I didn't watch the game, but I saw all the replays on the "goals" and here are my thoughts.

The first one is a good goal, the other 2 weren't in my opinion. Of course you have the sportsnet comment section whining as usual (probably will be the same on editorinleaf but I've given up on that piece of crap website), but it looked fine to me. Murray was hit on the second goal, and the 3rd goal was a clear kicking motion. The first was not interference though, that was a missed call. But I'll take the 2 points lol.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:03 p.m.
A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net with his skate/foot."

That’s the rule

Well no point in arguing with you if you can’t read rule 49.2 properly. Idk what’s so hard to read about Rule 49.2 - A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. Do I need to SS it from the rule book for you to get the rule?
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.
yeah the leafs were the embarrassing ones in the arena. not the fans throwing stuff onto the ice

We both know who the better team is, which is why Leafs fans are complaining about the fans. And why Leafs tried to end the game in middle of 3rd period.

Enjoy the gift.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
torontos finest
My TLDR is fairly similar, 1st goal was iffy, Bastian is in the crease but barely touches Murray, in the end, call probably depends on the refs on the ice threshold of what is goalie interference. 2nd goal is interference, Tatar makes contact with Murray that prevents his ability to reach the net and doesn’t really avoid contact. 3rd one is a rule violation, arguing about the rule doesn’t change that per the rule book it’s not a goal

Asked someone else why the first one was called for GI and they said that Bastian being in the crease prevented Murray from extending over to make the save. Didn't make contact but was in the way.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
My takes on the 3 reversed goals:
1) Bastian definitely has physical contact w/Murray. Is it interference though? Was Murray allowed to play his position? Bastian didn't interfere with Murray, Murray was totally able to play his position he wasn't sliding to the left anyway. Bastian was just a timely distraction with a bit of contact. I'd say, that's a good goal.
2) Murray goes behind the net to play the puck, Tatar goes into him. Intended or not, he makes clear physical contact. I do not think Murray dived there, because that was a pretty hard looking collision. Murray might have not saved it anyway, but, he couldn't even try to. Therefore the call was fair - No Goal.
3) We need a rule expert here, but from what I saw, Haula was kicking it to his stick. Not a distinct kicking motion to go in the net.. Distinct kicking motion to his stick. The puck wasn't headed for the net too. The puck went off Robertson after the kick from, Haula. It was a kicking motion, but for the purpose of a goal? Plus it wasn't heading in the net. Robertson put it in. Unless the rules say otherwise. IMO thats a good goal.

Overall Refs missed 1 or 2 calls. Not the greatest. I can see why Devils fans were frustrated, but that is just outrageous behavior throwing the debris on the ice, and on leafs players. Is it their fault? Refs - Bad. Situation room - Bad. Frustrated Fans - Bad.
Overall, just a very weird situation
That's my take smile
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
My takes on the 3 reversed goals:
1) Bastian definitely has physical contact w/Murray. Is it interference though? Was Murray allowed to play his position? Bastian didn't interfere with Murray, Murray was totally able to play his position he wasn't sliding to the left anyway. Bastian was just a timely distraction with a bit of contact. I'd say, that's a good goal.
2) Murray goes behind the net to play the puck, Tatar goes into him. Intended or not, he makes clear physical contact. I do not think Murray dived there, because that was a pretty hard looking collision. Murray might have not saved it anyway, but, he couldn't even try to. Therefore the call was fair - No Goal.
3) We need a rule expert here, but from what I saw, Haula was kicking it to his stick. Not a distinct kicking motion to go ijn the net.. The puck wasn't headed for the net too. The puck went off Robertson after the kick from, Haula. It was a kicking motion, but for the purpose of a goal? Plus it wasn't heading in the net. Robertson put it in. Unless the rules say otherwise. IMO thats a good goal.

Overall Refs missed 1 or 2 calls. Not the greatest. I can see why Devils fans were frustrated, but that is just outrageous behavior throwing the debris on the ice, and on leafs players. Is it their fault? Refs - Bad. Situation room - Bad. Frustrated Fans - Bad.
Overall, just a very weird situation
That's my take smile

@A_Habs_fan explained why the third goal didnt count rule 49.2

Basically if u kick it and it goes off anyone still wont count as its not with the stick
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
torontos finest
We both know who the better team is, which is why Leafs fans are complaining about the fans. And why Leafs tried to end the game in middle of 3rd period.

Enjoy the gift.

yeah sometimes you outplay the other team and lose. happens all the time in this sport.
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:12 p.m.
yeah sometimes you outplay the other team and lose. happens all the time in this sport.

Indeed. Onward we go (hopefully another win streak).
Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Call up Simmonds for the Wild game as we gonna need him for Reaves

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll