Forums/Armchair-GM

i dont really think we need to be active in free agency

Created by: nostepthank
Team: 2023-24 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 21, 2022
Published: Nov. 21, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
i dont know if we bring back pavelski just for cap reasons if we trade for/sign someone in the off season, but if pavs is brought back then either damiani is sent down, or (hopefully) faksa gets traded. i still like fox, but the money just doesnt work. i dunno maybe im just dumb
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,500,000
2$1,500,000
3$850,000
1$800,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$78,438,663$372,829$1,570,000$4,061,337

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
UFA - 8
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,167$894,167
C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$814,167$814,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,167$894,167
C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,850,000$9,850,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$925,000$925,000
LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$850,000$850,000
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$8,450,000$8,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 21, 2022 at 4:43 p.m.
Mr.T 17
To be honest, I believe you're right, the Stars have every piece they need to be and stay as a playoff contending team, but if they could create cap space and add pieces to become better defensively or add pieces to become better Offensively, that would just be adding to what's already more than good enough...

I've tried making ACGM's with Dallas, but adding players just made things confusing on what to do with what's already there, lol
nostepthank liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
houston aeros expert
Quoting: cody_tugak
To be honest, I believe you're right, the Stars have every piece they need to be and stay as a playoff contending team, but if they could create cap space and add pieces to become better defensively or add pieces to become better Offensively, that would just be adding to what's already more than good enough...

I've tried making ACGM's with Dallas, but adding players just made things confusing on what to do with what's already there, lol

thats exactly my issue, right now im not sure they can win right now, but the pieces they already have will continue to grow, so trading assets right now doesnt make much sense lol. i guess to quote the great jim nill, "i like where this team is at"
cody_tugak liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.
I think that's a pretty accurate statement.

Also, the only FA we could get would be depth players since we will not have the Cap space to get the big fish. And, we don't need depth players. We need to give space for the youth, especially on the forward side of things.

But, we do need to make space for Harley on the left side of our D. Buying out Suter would give us that.
nostepthank liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 6:05 p.m.
dont think they will trust both bourque and stankoven to be ready. im sure they will sign 1 foward just in case.
BruinsCharlies liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 6:35 p.m.
houston aeros expert
Quoting: Phleb2

Also, the only FA we could get would be depth players since we will not have the Cap space to get the big fish. And, we don't need depth players. We need to give space for the youth, especially on the forward side of things.

But, we do need to make space for Harley on the left side of our D. Buying out Suter would give us that.

trust me id personally help fund the "send suter to space" cause but tragically i think we are just stuck. that being said, im not sure how they get harly in but i fully agree he needs to be full time next year
Goofie liked this.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 7:57 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
dont think they will trust both bourque and stankoven to be ready. im sure they will sign 1 foward just in case.

If they are not playing Benn or Seguin at 2C it will be Johnston ahead of Stankoven and Bourque. He is just scratching the surface. That's a steal at 23 in 2021.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 8:02 p.m.
I would probably sign Pavelski one more year. Too many young forwards in my opinion. The Suter buyout isn't bad.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
Quoting: BruinsCharlies
If they are not playing Benn or Seguin at 2C it will be Johnston ahead of Stankoven and Bourque. He is just scratching the surface. That's a steal at 23 in 2021.

i didnt mention johnston because to me he is a lock for next year.
Nov. 21, 2022 at 8:08 p.m.
The Howe's, Ted Taylor, Larry Lund, Larry Hale, Paul Popeil, Wayne Rutledge, Bill Dineen. My favorite WHA team was the Aeros of Houston!
Nov. 22, 2022 at 12:24 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
I’d look for a RD upgrade over Hakanpää. Would love to get Lundkvist on the top unit, find a FA RD to put next to Lindell, and put Miller on the 3rd pair.

Dallas has given Harley a ton of chances to earn a spot on the roster and he simply hasn’t looked good at the NHL level, both during the regular season & preseason action. I’m all for “making room for Harley”, but the kid’s gotta earn a spot & so far he hasn’t even looked that close to being NHL ready
Nov. 22, 2022 at 7:29 a.m.
Quoting: TheMooterus
I’d look for a RD upgrade over Hakanpää. Would love to get Lundkvist on the top unit, find a FA RD to put next to Lindell, and put Miller on the 3rd pair.

Harley JUST turned 21 and, according to what I read, his development is going very well at the AHL level.

He will be ready next year and probably this year if there are injuries.

Usually, it takes more time for D to develop and be ready for NHL duties. Not every player is Heiskanen.

As for Suter, he will be ready for retirement/buy out duties next off season.

Dallas has given Harley a ton of chances to earn a spot on the roster and he simply hasn’t looked good at the NHL level, both during the regular season & preseason action. I’m all for “making room for Harley”, but the kid’s gotta earn a spot & so far he hasn’t even looked that close to being NHL ready
Nov. 22, 2022 at 7:31 a.m.

Harley JUST turned 21 and, according to what I read, his development is going very well at the AHL level.

He will be ready next year and probably this year if there are injuries.

Usually, it takes more time for D to develop and be ready for NHL duties. Not every player is Heiskanen.

Nov. 22, 2022 at 9:25 a.m.
True Reverse Retro

I'm certainly not calling Harley a bust or anything. He is just 21 years old, but I'm also not a proponent of just giving someone a spot on the roster because they were a top draft pick. He's looked fine in the AHL for the last 2 years. Doesn't change what I said above though. He gets to the NHL and he hasn't looked good at all. He plays scared and that leads to playing with a ton of mistakes. He has 35 regular season NHL games under his belt (and a number of preseason games) and there was zero development from him during that time. He didn't get acclimated and start looking semi-comfortable, he wasn't able to find a way to produce, and overall he was totally overwhelmed.

He will be ready next year and probably this year if there are injuries..

Am I saying that he's always going to be that way? Of course not, but frankly I don't really care what his AHL development looks like if he can't put it together against NHL competition. He's looked good in the AHL, but it means nothing if he struggles in the NHL. He'll continue to get his chances; he's likely the 1st call up if Dallas deals with an injury, but I haven't seen anything yet that warrants Dallas automatically creating a spot for him on next year's roster. You can say "He will be ready next year", but there's literally zero way to know that and his roughly 40 games at the NHL level have shown nothing to warrant the declaration that he will surely be ready for a full time spot next year.

Of course not everyone is Heiskanen. I never said he was, so I'm not sure where you're going with that strawman. But now that you brought him up, guys like Heiskanen (and most defensemen) show some kind of improvement or development over the course of their first season in the NHL, something Harley hasn't shown yet.

And as for Suter, he's not retiring. Why would he leave over $7M on the table when he's still a fine bottom-pair defenseman? His CF and FF numbers are both 2nd on the team right now. There is more offense when he's on the ice than when anyone else is on the ice, other than Nils Lundkvist. Am I saying he's a perfect, or even great, defenseman? Of course not. He's severely lackluster in his own end, but he still holds value on the roster, no matter how many Stars fans try to say otherwise.
Nov. 22, 2022 at 10:29 a.m.
I'm certainly not calling Harley a bust or anything. He is just 21 years old, but I'm also not a proponent of just giving someone a spot on the roster because they were a top draft pick. He's looked fine in the AHL for the last 2 years. Doesn't change what I said above though. He gets to the NHL and he hasn't looked good at all. He plays scared and that leads to playing with a ton of mistakes. He has 35 regular season NHL games under his belt (and a number of preseason games) and there was zero development from him during that time. He didn't get acclimated and start looking semi-comfortable, he wasn't able to find a way to produce, and overall he was totally overwhelmed.

Am I saying that he's always going to be that way? Of course not, but frankly I don't really care what his AHL development looks like if he can't put it together against NHL competition. He's looked good in the AHL, but it means nothing if he struggles in the NHL. He'll continue to get his chances; he's likely the 1st call up if Dallas deals with an injury, but I haven't seen anything yet that warrants Dallas automatically creating a spot for him on next year's roster. You can say "He will be ready next year", but there's literally zero way to know that and his roughly 40 games at the NHL level have shown nothing to warrant the declaration that he will surely be ready for a full time spot next year.

Of course not everyone is Heiskanen. I never said he was, so I'm not sure where you're going with that strawman. But now that you brought him up, guys like Heiskanen (and most defensemen) show some kind of improvement or development over the course of their first season in the NHL, something Harley hasn't shown yet.

And as for Suter, he's not retiring. Why would he leave over $7M on the table when he's still a fine bottom-pair defenseman? His CF and FF numbers are both 2nd on the team right now. There is more offense when he's on the ice than when anyone else is on the ice, other than Nils Lundkvist. Am I saying he's a perfect, or even great, defenseman? Of course not. He's severely lackluster in his own end, but he still holds value on the roster, no matter how many Stars fans try to say otherwise.

His CF and FF numbers are both 2nd on the team right now.

I just check Hockey reference and, according to that site, Suter is nowhere ranking 2nd in those categories and other categories also.

Here is an idea, why not bring Butcher up at the first occasion and give a rocking chair to Suter. He plays so soft that you could an egg in his hockey pants and it would not brake.
Nov. 22, 2022 at 10:43 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
His CF and FF numbers are both 2nd on the team right now.

I just check Hockey reference and, according to that site, Suter is nowhere ranking 2nd in those categories and other categories also.

Here is an idea, why not bring Butcher up at the first occasion and give a rocking chair to Suter. He plays so soft that you could an egg in his hockey pants and it would not brake.

Re-read what I said. I said CF and FF numbers, not his CF% or FF% numbers. I even specifically stated that his CA and FA numbers are "severely lackluster"

He's also got more blocked shots than Esa this year. while being middle of the pack in physicality so the 2nd part of your statement just statistically isn't accurate.

Look, I'm not going to argue about Suter's merits. If you want to hate the guy for his mistakes, go for it; more power to you. Just trying to get you to put down the hate goggles for a second and look at him from a bit more of a neutral angle.
Nov. 22, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.
Re-read what I said. I said CF and FF numbers, not his CF% or FF% numbers. I even specifically stated that his CA and FA numbers are "severely lackluster"

He's also got more blocked shots than Esa this year. while being middle of the pack in physicality so the 2nd part of your statement just statistically isn't accurate.

Look, I'm not going to argue about Suter's merits. If you want to hate the guy for his mistakes, go for it; more power to you. Just trying to get you to put down the hate goggles for a second and look at him from a bit more of a neutral angle.

I don't hate the guy. Some of his former teamates are doing that instead of me.

I do hate the fact that he plays tons of minutes for what? And why does he plays on the PP and in OT? The guy has no speed, a pee-wee shot and average hands.

The stats of blocking shot is kind of surprising as I never see him do it regularly on purpose. Maybe he can attract pucks with his behind?

I would be very interested to see either Butcher or Harley coming up, because of injury, and see what they can bring.

I really like our new coach, but this "love affair" with Suter is kind of very strange.

Also, beore I forgot, I do hate that contract and hated that signing the second it was done. Relatively speaking, it's the worst contract allowed by Nill.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll