Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander

Created by: DDCRAVEN
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 28, 2022
Published: Nov. 28, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Any chance something like this could happen? I know Chicago is rebuilding, but they have tons of draft picks and maybe want someone else they can build around?
Trades
TOR
  1. Domi, Max
  2. Kane, Patrick ($5,000,000 retained)
  3. Murphy, Connor ($2,200,000 retained)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$67,683,047$212,500$0$14,816,953
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
-$2,375,000-$2,375,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$827,500$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 28, 2022 at 3:45 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Cap is gonna be expanding rapidly. Budgeting the way you are is worthless right now.

Sign Matts, figure out the rest. Besides - his slow start is probably helping us money wise right now

His slow start is not going to make any difference in negotiating, he thinks he is the best player in the world and will expect to get paid like it.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 3:48 p.m.
Quoting: DDCRAVEN
JT makes $11 MIllion in 24 and 25. there is no negotiating a smaller contract.

JT and Marner are both signed through 24 and 25, but they can both be extended, so they could choose to delay Nylander so that they know the long-term outlook. If he wants 9mx8 or lower you sign him.

Cap is gonna be expanding rapidly. Budgeting the way you are is worthless right now.

Sign Matts, figure out the rest. Besides - his slow start is probably helping us money wise right now

I agree, it's far too early to be worrying about those problems. For me though, I'm hoping they use that expanding cap goes to improving the rest of the team, such as paying two other top 6 forwards and 2 top 4 D-man. Based off who currently is counting against the cap, we just have 2 guys from the top 4D getting paid.

As long as Dubas and Pridham are around though, there's no reason to worry unless of course there's another pandemic.
Random2152 liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
Luguber
Nylander is a better player than the best player on 1/3rd to 1/2 of the teams in the league.

Stop. Trading. Him

I agree that trading Nylander is most likely a bad move, depending on the return of course. He is a great player.
However, I do think you're overestimating him quite significantly, I mean he's most certainly not better than the best player on 50% of all other nhl teams rosters.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
1) Not a chance Hawks retain on Murphy. Toews, Kane, Domi and AA will be the retention targets and that hits their allotment of retention.
2) William Nylander is too old to build around and doesn't fit the Hawks timeline
3) Kerfoot is a cap dump as far as the Hawks are concerned and they can't flip him for much of anything as the Hawks already use their retention slots....he doesn't have much value at his full cap hit
4) Nylander is going to be a UFA, there is not a chance he is worth Kane, Murphy and Domi. In fact, I don't think he's worth Kane alone as in that scenario, all the Hawks are doing is kicking the can down the road to next season trying to flip Nylander as a rental who is not as valuable as Kane as a rental.

So there is zero chance the Hawks accept this, let alone Nylander for Kane
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
Quoting: Luguber
I agree that trading Nylander is most likely a bad move, depending on the return of course. He is a great player.
However, I do think you're overestimating him quite significantly, I mean he's most certainly not better than the best player on 50% of all other nhl teams rosters.

He did say 33-50% and since a lot of the players who are better than him play for the same teams, you will probably be surprised.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:04 p.m.
Luguber
Quoting: GMBL
He did say 33-50% and since a lot of the players who are better than him play for the same teams, you will probably be surprised.

Yeah ok, he did say 33-50%. I do actually follow the league pretty close, and my opinion is that 33% is a stretch. Imo he would likely be the star on 4-5 teams pretty much.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:07 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

Here is a list of teams nylander would be the best player on (with the odd player being real close to him)

Montréal
Maybe Vancouver (waiting on updated EP40 results)
Philadelphia
St Louis
San Jose
Pittsburgh (with respect to Sid, but theyre getting old)
LA (kopitar is getting older too)
Seattle
Calgary (I warned you all about huberdeau)
Nashville
Winnipeg (if ehlers ever gets healthy we will talk about this)
New York Islanders
Detroit
Senators
Chicago
Anaheim
Buffalo (we will talk about Thompson once im more certain about him)
Arizona

Thats 18 teams. Even if you disagree on some (and thats fine there are some close calls here) I only need 9 for my statement to be true
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
Here is a list of teams nylander would be the best player on (with the odd player being real close to him)

Montréal
Maybe Vancouver (waiting on updated EP40 results)
Philadelphia
St Louis
San Jose
Pittsburgh (with respect to Sid, but theyre getting old)
LA (kopitar is getting older too)
Seattle
Calgary (I warned you all about huberdeau)
Nashville
Winnipeg (if ehlers ever gets healthy we will talk about this)
New York Islanders
Detroit
Senators
Chicago
Anaheim
Buffalo (we will talk about Thompson once im more certain about him)
Arizona

Thats 18 teams. Even if you disagree on some (and thats fine there are some close calls here) I only need 9 for my statement to be true

He's not better (or more importantly more valuable based on contract status) then quite a number of players on these teams, namely Zegras, Kane, Seider, Suzuki (at least this year)
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.
Yeah ok, he did say 33-50%. I do actually follow the league pretty close, and my opinion is that 33% is a stretch. Imo he would likely be the star on 4-5 teams pretty much.

I think there can be an argument for at least 8 teams, so 25%.

Anaheim, Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit (unless you say Seider is the best), Montreal, Ottawa, San Jose, Seattle.

Some of these teams have guys who are arguably just as good or better in some people's eyes, but Nylander is the 4th wheel in Toronto while a guy like Keller or Tkachuk are the guy, and Hertl and Meier are 1 and 2. Larkin is the guy but has way less to show for, but doesn't mean that Nylander could have done better in Detroit. So, it's really just based on opinion until we see Nylander elsewhere or those guys in Toronto.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
He's not better (or more importantly more valuable based on contract status) then quite a number of players on these teams, namely Zegras, Kane, Seider, Suzuki (at least this year)

He's better than Zegras and Suzuki, he's just not more valuable. Suzuki has a few more points than Nylander but about 3 minutes of TOI more. Zegras has 2 minutes and less points if you're going off production.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:16 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

I love how you had to add a caveat so that you could argue against something entirely different than what I said.

Also none of those players are better than Nylander right now. It isnt close either
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:17 p.m.
He's better than Zegras and Suzuki, he's just not more valuable. Suzuki has a few more points than Nylander but about 3 minutes of TOI more. Zegras has 2 minutes and less points if you're going off production.

He's not better then Zegras IMO, but more importantly he's not more valuable then either and in the context of this discussion that is what matters.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:18 p.m.
I love how you had to add a caveat so that you could argue against something entirely different than what I said.

Also none of those players are better than Nylander right now. It isnt close either

LMAO crazy to think none of those players are better...that's just wrong. Regardless, in the context of the discussion here, it's about what he's worth to a team and he's not worth more then any of the players I mentioned and that's not the only ones from the teams you listed. Value is most important in the context of a discussion around trading. Better then or worse then is largely irrelevant, it's all about value to a team
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:21 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm

That last line is easily the dumbest take in CFACGM history. You're such a baghead. 🤭
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:22 p.m.
He's not better then Zegras IMO, but more importantly he's not more valuable then either and in the context of this discussion that is what matters.

Isn't the context of the conversation just that he would be the number#1 guy (if allowed)? Teams are usually going to prefer their young 1C over an older winger even if Nylander has higher production on the team. I think Nylander at least for now, if he were on Anaheim, he would be the best player and the guy to be driving the offense. Of course, no GM is going to trade Zegras for Nylander in a 1 for 1.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:22 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
LMAO crazy to think none of those players are better...that's just wrong. Regardless, in the context of the discussion here, it's about what he's worth to a team and he's not worth more then any of the players I mentioned and that's not the only ones from the teams you listed. Value is most important in the context of a discussion around trading. Better then or worse then is largely irrelevant, it's all about value to a team

Your eval is way off.

I understand how it happens for players you cheer for (Kane has been in deep decline for years).
I understand how it happens for young prospects (they blow out expectations and are super fun but MoSei is haveing a worse year than last and Zegras is still developing).
I even understand how it happens for guys like Suzuki (massive PDO bender plus the entire Habs fanbase and media gassing him up)

None of that makes it true though.

Nylander is currently better than them all and it isnt a discussion because it really isnt close.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
That last line is easily the dumbest take in CFACGM history. You're such a baghead. 🤭

Learn what a term means before using it.

Stop being a photosynthesis
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
Your eval is way off.

I understand how it happens for players you cheer for (Kane has been in deep decline for years).
I understand how it happens for young prospects (they blow out expectations and are super fun but MoSei is haveing a worse year than last and Zegras is still developing).
I even understand how it happens for guys like Suzuki (massive PDO bender plus the entire Habs fanbase and media gassing him up)

None of that makes it true though.

Nylander is currently better than them all and it isnt a discussion because it really isnt close.

Kane in deep decline for years laugh do you even watch hockey??? LMAO

Just because you say so, none of what you are saying makes it true either. Gosh, imagine you arguing in a court of law LMAO
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
Isn't the context of the conversation just that he would be the number#1 guy (if allowed)? Teams are usually going to prefer their young 1C over an older winger even if Nylander has higher production on the team. I think Nylander at least for now, if he were on Anaheim, he would be the best player and the guy to be driving the offense. Of course, no GM is going to trade Zegras for Nylander in a 1 for 1.

They aren't mutually exclusive. You can't argue a player magically lands on another team, what's the point in that and what's the point to discuss on a AGM. Value is everything, and I know you understand that, but just pointing on subjective opinions about this player is better then another, especially when considering as one example Zegras plays on the worst team in the league next to who...Henrique and Vatrano versus Nylander playing on one of the better teams in the league next to JT....way too hard to argue who is better, but more importantly, Nylander's value can't hold a candle to Zegras so it's a moot point to argue who is better. smile
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
They aren't mutually exclusive. You can't argue a player magically lands on another team, what's the point in that and what's the point to discuss on a AGM. Value is everything, and I know you understand that, but just pointing on subjective opinions about this player is better then another, especially when considering as one example Zegras plays on the worst team in the league next to who...Henrique and Vatrano versus Nylander playing on one of the better teams in the league next to JT....way too hard to argue who is better, but more importantly, Nylander's value can't hold a candle to Zegras so it's a moot point to argue who is better. smile

Well, players can end up on new teams via methods other than trade. Plus, Nylander can be traded to Anaheim for example without Zegras going the other way. So, the two are mutually exclusive.

As far as I am concerned, Zegras' or other stars trade value is irrelevant here (other than Kane). The point of the digression was to discuss which teams that Nylander would be the best player on in context of Toronto dumping him for a rental like Kane or just trading him away in general.
ChiHawk liked this.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:42 p.m.
Well, players can end up on new teams via methods other than trade. Plus, Nylander can be traded to Anaheim for example without Zegras going the other way. So, the two are mutually exclusive.

As far as I am concerned Zegras' or other stars trade value is irrelevant here, the point of the digression was just to say where Nylander would be the best player, in context of Toronto dumping him for a rental like Kane or just trading him away in general.

Well in the context of the discussion on a AGM and trading Nylander, saying he is or isn't better then Zegras is irrelevant. Nylander doesn't have term on his contract, his value is close to Kane as a 1 year guy. Look at what Debrincat got because he wouldn't discuss an extension with any acquiring team...that's the real topical discussion here..what's nylander worth to any team.

But playing along with the digression, Anaheim wouldn't pay much for him just like Chicago won't..rebuilding teams. Again, hard to say value versus subjectively (key word) better player is mutually exclusive.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:48 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Kane in deep decline for years laugh do you even watch hockey??? LMAO

Just because you say so, none of what you are saying makes it true either. Gosh, imagine you arguing in a court of law LMAO

Bud if you cant tell Kane is in decline thats on you. We literally have career maps of it. Take off the homer goggles.

Im in mobile so i cant post it myself but here it is in tweet form

Nov. 28, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
Well in the context of the discussion on a AGM and trading Nylander, saying he is or isn't better then Zegras is irrelevant. Nylander doesn't have term on his contract, his value is close to Kane as a 1 year guy. Look at what Debrincat got because he wouldn't discuss an extension with any acquiring team...that's the real topical discussion here..what's nylander worth to any team.

But playing along with the digression, Anaheim wouldn't pay much for him just like Chicago won't..rebuilding teams. Again, hard to say value versus subjectively (key word) better player is mutually exclusive.

Well Nylander is worth more than Kane to the Leafs (and teams in their situation), but not the Hawks (and the like) since as you said it would be kicking the can down the road. If both Kane and Nylander were to be trade today for futures to a playoff hopeful/contender, I would be surprised if Kane returned more, especially considering his NMC.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
Bud if you cant tell Kane is in decline thats on you. We literally have career maps of it. Take off the homer goggles.

Im in mobile so i cant post it myself but here it is in tweet form

Try watching the Hawks game in and game out...90%+ like those in the know; watch what he still does on the ice next to crappy line mates and you might begin to understand what doesn't show up on stat sheets how he creates chances that simply line mates aren't good enough to capitalize on. And if you're a stathead because you don't watch the Hawks much, which is likely what you are forming your opinion on, explain this...

Points per game
18/19 = 1.36
19/20 = 1.20
15/16 = 1.29
21/22 = 1.18
20/21 = 1.18
16/17 = 1.08....6th best year for reference

16 years in the NHL and his 5 best ppg seasons, 4 of them happened in the last 4 seasons, his 2nd best season ever was just 2 years ago. Yeah....Kane is in deep decline for years like you said LMAO laugh

If Kane and Nylander were both rentals this year and available at the deadline to playoff teams this season for equal price and any playoff team could take 1 or the other, every GM would take Kane in a heartbeat for one playoff run. You clearly don't watch Kane play night in and night out.
Nov. 28, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
Well Nylander is worth more than Kane to the Leafs (and teams in their situation), but not the Hawks (and the like) since as you said it would be kicking the can down the road. If both Kane and Nylander were to be trade today for futures to a playoff hopeful/contender, I would be surprised if Kane returned more, especially considering his NMC.

Let's pretend both Nylander and Kane are on expiring deals this year, same cap hits, no NMC/NTCs in their agreements, I'm willing 100% of GMs that would be in on them would take Kane over Nylander for a playoff run. That said, with Nylander having an extra year, smaller cap hit, that does for sure hold more value to an acquiring team. I also agree that to the Leafs Nylander is more valuable today; you can't just shake up the chemistry of the team.
GMBL liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll