Forums/Armchair-GM

I Cant Eat Taco Bell Without Taco Bell Sauce

Created by: IDKtbh
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 8, 2022
Published: Dec. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Bertuzzi market should be a busy one - I’m being conservative with the Wings netting a B(B+) prospect and a late 1st rounder (you would imagine any 1st rounder we’d get would be late anyhow), but I digress.

It would be nice to keep Kubalik & Maatta but we got kids to play in their spots and it would be doing ourselves a disservice not to capitalize on their overachievement this year.

Maatta likely has played himself into a 4-5 year deal with an AAV of $4m+ assuming he continues his stellar play. I wouldn’t hate seeing him return in the offseason, hopefully for a little less than that.

I was gonna throw in a Suter & Erne trade in for the hell of it but realistically if either of them are moved, it’ll be a Troy Stecher type deal anyways.
Trades
DET
  1. Niemelä, Topi
  2. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (OTT)
TOR
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($2,375,000 retained)
DET
  1. 2023 5th round pick (COL)
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Sundqvist, Oskar
Additional Details:
Not ideal that it’s a 25’ pick but a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder.
DET
  1. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Kubalik, Dominik ($1,250,000 retained)
  2. Määttä, Olli
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the COL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the COL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$82,500,000$67,245,556$0$3,857,500$15,254,444
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,825,000$1,825,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$878,333$878,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 4
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$856,667$856,667
RD
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 8, 2022 at 1:42 a.m.
Thegreatdebater
Can Bertuzzi even play in Canada? Also if hes traded hes not getting more than a 1st lol let alone a 1st, 3rd and a really good prospect. Not too mention the guys like never healthy either it seems like.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 2:03 a.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: Matthewslover
Can Bertuzzi even play in Canada? Also if hes traded hes not getting more than a 1st lol let alone a 1st, 3rd and a really good prospect. Not too mention the guys like never healthy either it seems like.

Yes, he can play in Canada.

Bertuzzi has averaged just under 30 goals per 82 GP over the last 3 seasons, has an elite motor, plays a solid two-way game, has a surprisingly vast offensive skillset, plays on the power play, kills penalties, plays 20 min a night and whose game was seemingly built for postseason play; yeah, he’s easily worth every bit of that return.

He’s had injuries in the past just like any other player. This year he has been super unlucky, getting hit in the hand while blocking a shot in the 2nd game of the season which caused him to miss time and then just a handful of games back after that, took another puck to the hand while blocking another shot that broke his hand.

He’s not injury prone, he just needs some longer gloves.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 6:26 a.m.
Quoting: IDKtbh

Bertuzzi has averaged just under 30 goals per 82 GP over the last 3 seasons, has an elite motor, plays a solid two-way game, has a surprisingly vast offensive skillset, plays on the power play, kills penalties, plays 20 min a night and whose game was seemingly built for postseason play; yeah, he’s easily worth every bit of that return.

He’s had injuries in the past just like any other player. This year he has been super unlucky, getting hit in the hand while blocking a shot in the 2nd game of the season which caused him to miss time and then just a handful of games back after that, took another puck to the hand while blocking another shot that broke his hand.

He needs to turn his frickin hands over when he blocks shots, Ugh,
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 9:28 a.m.
Kster

Bertuzzi is a good player but nowhere near that return tears of joy .
1/ he’s a rental
2/ his career averages are 0.29 gpg and 0.67 ppg
3/ he’s missed ALOT of games in his career to date through injury
4/ he has NO playoff record (he does play for the Wings admittedly) so unfair to “assume” he’ll be good

I think there are better candidates for us than bertuzzi but he’d be a good addition; have to remove the 1st though or no chance I’d make that deal
Dec. 8, 2022 at 12:35 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: kster34
Bertuzzi is a good player but nowhere near that return tears of joy .
1/ he’s a rental
2/ his career averages are 0.29 gpg and 0.67 ppg
3/ he’s missed ALOT of games in his career to date through injury
4/ he has NO playoff record (he does play for the Wings admittedly) so unfair to “assume” he’ll be good

I think there are better candidates for us than bertuzzi but he’d be a good addition; have to remove the 1st though or no chance I’d make that deal

I don’t think factoring in his career averages is relevant to his value, today. The numbers I provided for his past 3 seasons are quite relevant and indicative of the type of impact player he is.

Not having playoff experience isn’t a necessary component to having an idea of how a player will fare in the postseason. Bertuzzi’s physical & skilled combination is the prototypical brand of hockey that translates very well in the playoffs. It doesn’t take a lot of thought to draw that conclusion.

A capable 30 goal scorer that is one of the most versatile players in the NHL is worth a 1st & prospect.

That is what Bertuzzi is. It’s quite obvious that you haven’t watched much of the guy.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Kster
I don’t think factoring in his career averages is relevant to his value, today. The numbers I provided for his past 3 seasons are quite relevant and indicative of the type of impact player he is.

Not having playoff experience isn’t a necessary component to having an idea of how a player will fare in the postseason. Bertuzzi’s physical & skilled combination is the prototypical brand of hockey that translates very well in the playoffs. It doesn’t take a lot of thought to draw that conclusion.

A capable 30 goal scorer that is one of the most versatile players in the NHL is worth a 1st & prospect.

That is what Bertuzzi is. It’s quite obvious that you haven’t watched much of the guy.

No I haven’t to be fair (I only watch Leaf games and no one on Wings impressed me). I know he is not ranked by (pretty much) any reputable hockey analyst as even a top 20 left winger. Unless / until the wings fall out of contention which looks unlikely, this is a moot question anyway - he won’t be moved if Wings are heading to or battling for playoffs. And if that’s the price, can’t see Leafs going anywhere near that.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
No I haven’t to be fair (I only watch Leaf games and no one on Wings impressed me). I know he is not ranked by (pretty much) any reputable hockey analyst as even a top 20 left winger. Unless / until the wings fall out of contention which looks unlikely, this is a moot question anyway - he won’t be moved if Wings are heading to or battling for playoffs. And if that’s the price, can’t see Leafs going anywhere near that.

Wow, a Toronto fan offering overly confidant opinions about players they admittedly don't watch? Say it isn't so...
Dec. 8, 2022 at 3:06 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: RedWing9119
Wow, a Toronto fan offering overly confidant opinions about players they admittedly don't watch? Say it isn't so...

My guess is that’s most of us on here; we have jobs and lives and aren’t pro scouts so I don’t watch all nhl games, especially bottom feeders - crazy huh? I’ve seen wings when they play Leafs, but maybe that’s unfair - small sample size and we’ve owned you past number of years (12-2 last 14, ouch) & frankly, no wing has impressed me since Datsuyk. But that’s why we have stats; bertuzzi is not worth that return imo.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers

I appreciate your honesty.

For what it’s worth, even tho I am a die hard wings fan, I consider myself very impartial when it comes to Detroit players and other players in the league.

Obviously, I can’t tell you what will or won’t happen for certain, but that is very close to what a package would look like for Bertuzzi if he is moved.

Topi is a nice prospect but it’s debatable if he’s among the top 50 prospects in the league and that 1st round pick presumably will be a late selection. That package won’t be enough get you a Timo Meier or Jakub Chychrun. It would suffice for Bertuzzi tho.

To give you a comparable deal, take Andrew Copp from last year’s deadline whose return was a 1st, 2nd, 5th & a player/prospect.

Bertuzzi was/is a much better player than Copp.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
Kster
I appreciate your honesty.

For what it’s worth, even tho I am a die hard wings fan, I consider myself very impartial when it comes to Detroit players and other players in the league.

Obviously, I can’t tell you what will or won’t happen for certain, but that is very close to what a package would look like for Bertuzzi if he is moved.

Topi is a nice prospect but it’s debatable if he’s among the top 50 prospects in the league and that 1st round pick presumably will be a late selection. That package won’t be enough get you a Timo Meier or Jakub Chychrun. It would suffice for Bertuzzi tho.

To give you a comparable deal, take Andrew Copp from last year’s deadline whose return was a 1st, 2nd, 5th & a player/prospect.

Bertuzzi was/is a much better player than Copp.

That’s fair and reasonable; if I were Dubas - no way I’d make that deal. I can’t say I am objective but from a distance, Bertuzzi (especially since he would be a rental b/c I can’t see the Leafs signing him over Bunting who is better imo) is not worth that.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
My guess is that’s most of us on here; we have jobs and lives and aren’t pro scouts so I don’t watch all nhl games, especially bottom feeders - crazy huh? I’ve seen wings when they play Leafs, but maybe that’s unfair - small sample size and we’ve owned you past number of years (12-2 last 14, ouch) & frankly, no wing has impressed me since Datsuyk. But that’s why we have stats; bertuzzi is not worth that return imo.

Oh so it's insults now? Are you finished? Well then allow me to retort: 55 years and counting...
Dec. 8, 2022 at 3:55 p.m.
Kster
Oh so it's insults now? Are you finished? Well then allow me to retort: 55 years and counting...

Who started with the insults tears of joy
“ Wow, a Toronto fan offering overly confidant opinions about players they admittedly don't watch? Say it isn't so...” - that’s a compliment I guess 🧐
Dec. 8, 2022 at 4:06 p.m.
Who started with the insults tears of joy
“ Wow, a Toronto fan offering overly confidant opinions about players they admittedly don't watch? Say it isn't so...” - that’s a compliment I guess 🧐

Nope that's an actual observation based on observable facts. You called a team that is currently 3rd in their division a bottom feeder and then flexed your teams record against mine at me. My point about the original comment stands: Toronto fans on this site continually spout off about other teams players while admitting they don't watch them.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 4:18 p.m.
Kster
Nope that's an actual observation based on observable facts. You called a team that is currently 3rd in their division a bottom feeder and then flexed your teams record against mine at me. My point about the original comment stands: Toronto fans on this site continually spout off about other teams players while admitting they don't watch them.

The bottom feeder comment referred to past seasons; Wings are getting better every year. I explained that logistically pretty much everyone on this site doesn’t watch competitor teams players closely - unless they are pro scouts (who has the time?) - but everyone offers an opinion. I don’t watch wings closely but when we’ve played you, bertuzzi did not impress me the way some other pending FA forwards have (O’Reilly, Horvat, Toews / Kane). The Leafs record vs Wings is factual, but I did include a bit of good natured flexing 💪😎
Dec. 8, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
The bottom feeder comment referred to past seasons; Wings are getting better every year. I explained that logistically pretty much everyone on this site doesn’t watch competitor teams players closely - unless they are pro scouts (who has the time?) - but everyone offers an opinion. I don’t watch wings closely but when we’ve played you, bertuzzi did not impress me the way some other pending FA forwards have (O’Reilly, Horvat, Toews / Kane). The Leafs record vs Wings is factual, but I did include a bit of good natured flexing 💪😎

I think you spend to much time in the Toronto echo chamber bud. There are many fans on this site who watch other teams because the just love hockey. I haven't had a ton of time this season but I'd say in an average year I watch between 200 to 300 non Red Wings games. I just like hockey and have given up watching all other sports for it. I find it funny that you admit you don't watch a player but you think your opinion has value? Seems kind of arrogant, doesn't it? When I offer an opinion on here it's because I feel that I've watched a player enough to have an insight into that players value. No offense but you're kind of proving my original point.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 4:46 p.m.
Kster
I think you spend to much time in the Toronto echo chamber bud. There are many fans on this site who watch other teams because the just love hockey. I haven't had a ton of time this season but I'd say in an average year I watch between 200 to 300 non Red Wings games. I just like hockey and have given up watching all other sports for it. I find it funny that you admit you don't watch a player but you think your opinion has value? Seems kind of arrogant, doesn't it? When I offer an opinion on here it's because I feel that I've watched a player enough to have an insight into that players value. No offense but you're kind of proving my original point.

No I don’t think it is arrogant; as I said (and you may be the outlier) I think most of us watch games of the teams we support or highlights or sometimes playoffs (big games). But:
1/ I’ve seen bertuzzi play (probably eight times over past three years vs Leafs)
2/ we have access to stats and advanced metrics
3/ we have analysis from objective hockey experts
I use all of that when assessing players, and my assessment stays the same:
1: bertuzzi is not elite but he is a good top 6 winger
2: On the Leafs imo he’d be 6th best forward offensively and bottom half defensively
3: he wouldn’t play PP1 or PK
4: he’s a rental as I don’t see how we re-sign him next year, not without sacrificing other core pieces which I would not do (& Matthews / Nylander / Sandin /Lilligren all due big raises year after)

For all those reasons I would not conduct the trade as outlined above if you don’t like my opinion, c’est la vie / you’re free to voice yours.
If you have time to watch 200-300 non wings + 82 wings games a year, let me know how I can get that gig 😅
Dec. 8, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
No I don’t think it is arrogant; as I said (and you may be the outlier) I think most of us watch games of the teams we support or highlights or sometimes playoffs (big games). But:
1/ I’ve seen bertuzzi play (probably eight times over past three years vs Leafs)
2/ we have access to stats and advanced metrics
3/ we have analysis from objective hockey experts
I use all of that when assessing players, and my assessment stays the same:
1: bertuzzi is not elite but he is a good top 6 winger
2: On the Leafs imo he’d be 6th best forward offensively and bottom half defensively
3: he wouldn’t play PP1 or PK
4: he’s a rental as I don’t see how we re-sign him next year, not without sacrificing other core pieces which I would not do (& Matthews / Nylander / Sandin /Lilligren all due big raises year after)

For all those reasons I would not conduct the trade as outlined above if you don’t like my opinion, c’est la vie / you’re free to voice yours.
If you have time to watch 200-300 non wings + 82 wings games a year, let me know how I can get that gig 😅

Most of who? So now you're speaking for other people on this site? Please. You admit you don't watch other teams. Full stop. Offering an opinion on players you don't watch is arrogant. Full stop. Also, which analytics and which opinions of experts are you referring to with your sad attempts at deflection? Am I supposed to be dumb enough not to realize that you implied something without actaul citing any real examples? As for having time to watch games try liking hockey and not just being an overzealous fan of your team. Oh and it helps if you've already put your kids through college and they're out of the house.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
Kster
Most of who? So now you're speaking for other people on this site? Please. You admit you don't watch other teams. Full stop. Offering an opinion on players you don't watch is arrogant. Full stop. Also, which analytics and which opinions of experts are you referring to with your sad attempts at deflection? Am I supposed to be dumb enough not to realize that you implied something without actaul citing any real examples? As for having time to watch games try liking hockey and not just being an overzealous fan of your team. Oh and it helps if you've already put your kids through college and they're out of the house.

You’re lit squinty smile .
First you literally generalized in your comments “ There are many fans on this site who watch other teams because the just love hockey.” ok for you but not me squinty smile ?
I have admitted many times full stop that I only watch Leaf games and occasional highlights or playoff games. Don’t have time or inclination to watch non Leaf games 🤷
Here is one example of independent analysis, pretty easy to find. He’s not a top 20 lw; hard to argue he’s better than anyone listed there (except Boldy) but clearly Tkatchuk and Caufield (& Bunting too) are better too so …
https://eprinkside.com/2022/09/06/ep-rinkside-top-20-left-wing-rankings-for-the-2022-23-season
Dec. 8, 2022 at 5:34 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
First you literally generalized in your comments “ There are many fans on this site who watch other teams because the just love hockey.” ok for you but not me squinty smile ?
I have admitted many times full stop that I only watch Leaf games and occasional highlights or playoff games. Don’t have time or inclination to watch non Leaf games 🤷
Here is one example of independent analysis, pretty easy to find. He’s not a top 20 lw; hard to argue he’s better than anyone listed there (except Boldy) but clearly Tkatchuk and Caufield (& Bunting too) are better too so …
https://eprinkside.com/2022/09/06/ep-rinkside-top-20-left-wing-rankings-for-the-2022-23-season

Yo, with all due respect, you’re just digging yourself into a gigantic hole.

Dude is right about his “full stop” point. You haven’t watched the player very closely at all. You’re not familiar with the guy barely, and you’re debating & comparing other players to him. It’s quite silly brother.

I would advise calling it quits. Agree to disagree, even though, you’re clearly not even qualified to do either based on your ignorance of Tyler Bertuzzi. So, I’d say just take the L and move on.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.

Wow you just can't help but prove my original statement right again and again can you? Like I said; arrogant. I didn't look at your stats because whether Bertuzzi is a "top 20 winger" was never the argument but nice try at moving the goal posts. The argument is whether he is worth what the trade implies. And the answer in the opinion of someone who actually watches him is yes. Oh and tangentially the argument was whether Toronto fans consistently offer opinions on players they don't watch; which you have so graciously proven for me. So thanks and have a great day.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 9, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
I'd take those trades except Edmonton, we need more of a return. I don't think the other teams involved would go for it though.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 9, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: Redstinger
I'd take those trades except Edmonton, we need more of a return. I don't think the other teams involved would go for it though.

I agree, I think separately we could get a 2nd rounder each for Maatta & Kubalik, if not more. A 1st could be argued for either one to be honest. Cheap contracts, very good production from both. From a money/cap perspective, You won’t find a cheaper top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman on the market. Especially ones playing as well as these two have been.
Redstinger liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll