Forums/Armchair-GM

If You ReBuild It They Will Come

Created by: IDKtbh
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 21, 2022
Published: Dec. 21, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think we’re sorely lacking of prospects with offensive upside, specifically up the middle and we need an influx of those in our pipeline. Also, we don’t have much to speak of in terms of RHD prospects, so those are the two areas I aimed to address. This upcoming draft is loaded with high end centermen and skilled forwards even later in the 1st round.

The Bertuzzi deal is right on par with what his return should be; a 1st round pick in 2023 and a B (or better) prospect.

Moving Hronek will be unpopular amongst the Wings’ fanbase but, he’s been playing out of his mind this year at a PPG clip and I’m a firm believer in selling when values are high. NJD gets better right now by adding Hronek, and also gives them a replacement for next year when Severson is likely gone. Sundqvist gives them additional playoff enforcements with a big, versatile forward that can play every position, in any scenario on any line. The retention on Filip’s contract and taking back Johnnson’s contract is costly but I think the compensation is appropriate all things considered.

The Suter deal, I think Boston makes out like bandits. Replacing a high paid waiver dump with a quality two-way forward for only a couple mid picks.

The Oilers may be one of the most aggressive teams at the deadline and they are able to upgrade in multiple areas while dumping future salary on players that just aren’t cutting it in the process. This is another that likely won’t be very popular amongst Wings’ fans.

Obviously all of these trades are super unrealistic in the sense that we won’t be doing all of them but, I think they’re pretty logical and fair deals for all parties. I personally would be thrilled if something like this happened. I would use a majority of the picks in the first three rounds on centers/forwards.

The lineup I set was just for viewing purposes, I don’t expect the obvious players to suit up this year. I just wanted to get a look at what our magnificent defense would look like in a couple years. 😍
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$920,000
3$920,000
3$920,000
Trades
DET
  1. Niemelä, Topi
  2. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (OTT)
TOR
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($2,375,000 retained)
DET
  1. Casey, Seamus [Reserve List]
  2. Johnsson, Andreas
  3. 2023 1st round pick (NJD)
  4. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Hronek, Filip ($1,750,000 retained)
  2. Sundqvist, Oskar
DET
  1. Smith, Craig
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
  3. 2023 4th round pick (BOS)
DET
  1. Foegele, Warren
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  3. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
  5. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$72,482,223$0$3,940,000$10,017,777
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$878,333$878,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
RFA - 1
$920,000$920,000
LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
G
RFA - 4
$820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$856,667$856,667
RD
RFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$920,000$920,000
LD
RFA
$920,000$920,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,825,000$1,825,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 21, 2022 at 3:53 p.m.
Wow.....wow....no bro...Devils couldn't say no fast enough
IDKtbh and Devil liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:01 p.m.
It's a No from the Leafs.
Brad_Treliving, IDKtbh and kster34 liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:02 p.m.
Leafs pass, Bertuzzi doesn't get you that especially with his injuries
IDKtbh and kster34 liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:19 p.m.
Patrickkanefanatic
I guarantee Bertuzzi won't even get a 1st let alone a 1st, top prospect and a 3rd. Maybe if he wasn't so injury prone.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:20 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: NJDevils1317
Wow.....wow....no bro...Devils couldn't say no fast enough

Thank you. I am curious as to what your impression is of the team in its current state. Obviously it’s been a successful season thus far for the Devils but, what move, if at all, do you see the team making to solidify themselves as a Stanley Cup contender?

Also, you guys really like Seamus, huh. Lol.
tonyhzs liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:21 p.m.
Bertuzzi is a distressed asset right now. A long list of injuries and will be coming off a significant one. He has only played 9 games this season and didn't do particularly well in them. He will not fetch a big package like this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:24 p.m.
Quoting: Byrr
Bertuzzi is a distressed asset right now. A long list of injuries and will be coming off a significant one. He has only played 9 games this season and didn't do particularly well in them. He will not fetch a big package like this.

He's not distressed. His so called significant injury your claiming is that he hurt his hand blocking a shot. There are allot of teams interested in bertuzzi.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:28 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: KingExLeafs
It's a No from the Leafs.

I think the Leafs need a player like Bertuzzi to gear up for a Cup run or to at least get out of the first round (no offense). Bertuzzi not only provides a physical, frustrating experience for the opponent but, he also has the skill necessary to compliment the very talented Leafs forwards quite well. Where do they find that at elsewhere and at what cost?

Quoting: Babatunde
Leafs pass, Bertuzzi doesn't get you that especially with his injuries

Which injuries are you referring to? The broken hand that he is out for currently that will be fully healed in a couple weeks that has no implications of future injury? That one? He was unlucky twice this year, both times blocking a shot that got in between his wrist and glove, breaking his hand. He is just fine.
Redstinger, x1x1x1x and tonyhzs liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
I'd do the Toronto trade, if we take back smith to make the money work for Boston trade I think it should be two thirds. Not really crazy about getting rid of hronek. Sunny should bring a 2nd or 3rd on his own . I'd like it better if you took out wallman and foegele on the Edmonton trade. Overall though they are resonable.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: IDKtbh
I think the Leafs need a player like Bertuzzi to gear up for a Cup run or to at least get out of the first round (no offense). Bertuzzi not only provides a physical, frustrating experience for the opponent but, he also has the skill necessary to compliment the very talented Leafs forwards quite well. Where do they find that at elsewhere and at what cost?

Which injuries are you referring to? The broken hand that he is out for currently that will be fully healed in a couple weeks that has no implications of future injury? That one? He was unlucky twice this year, both times blocking a shot that got in between his wrist and glove, breaking his hand. He is just fine.

If Bertuzzi's 9 games played so far with 4 points gets you a top prospect, a first, and a third, I can't wait to get the first overall pick when we trade Kerfoot
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:33 p.m.
Quoting: Patrickkane
I guarantee Bertuzzi won't even get a 1st let alone a 1st, top prospect and a 3rd. Maybe if he wasn't so injury prone.

Your crazy. He will get at least a first. How can you say he's injury prone. He had a back injury that he had surgery came back and scored 30 goals. Hes had some injuries from blocking shots that anyone could have had. Considering the type of game he plays he has a very low number ,of injuries. Where do you get this garbage?
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:35 p.m.
If Bertuzzi's 9 games played so far with 4 points gets you a top prospect, a first, and a third, I can't wait to get the first overall pick when we trade Kerfoot

Your very short sighted man. He's been out from blocking shots. He will get back to normal when he comes back and gets up to speed. Your logic is flawed.
IDKtbh and tonyhzs liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:36 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers

He is not injury prone. He had a back injury that he had surgery on back in 2020 and quieted any doubt that he would be hindered by the injury by having a magnificent season the following year with a near PPG season.

This year he was super unlucky twice, taking a puck to the hand while blocking a shot in two separate instances causing the two unrelated injuries.

The type of player Bertuzzi is, does put him in harms way as he is always willing to lay is body on the line and play the relentless style of hockey that makes him so valuable. He is not only the gritty, hard nosed dirty area guy, but he possess and exhibits high end skill that allows him to put up big numbers at the same time.

Don’t make guarantees you can’t keep. It’s very easy to spew nonsense. Educate yourself.

Quoting: Byrr

See above.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
Quoting: Redstinger
Your crazy. He will get at least a first. How can you say he's injury prone. He had a back injury that he had surgery, came back and scored 30 goals. Hes had some injuries from blocking shots that anyone could have had. Considering the type of game he plays he has a very low number of injuries. Where do you get this garbage?
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:40 p.m.
Patrickkanefanatic
Your crazy. He will get at least a first. How can you say he's injury prone. He had a back injury that he had surgery came back and scored 30 goals. Hes had some injuries from blocking shots that anyone could have had. Considering the type of game he plays he has a very low number ,of injuries. Where do you get this garbage?

I don't know why you're so offended. Look at the market this year. Horvat, Kane, ROR, Gavrikov, Chychrun, Tarasenko, Meier are all reportedly on the block and will all get at least a 1st. Then you got guys like Toews, Gostisbhere, Monahan who are ufas are having great seasons. How many 1sts do you think get traded every deadline? Which one of those guys would Bertuzzi get a 1st over? If Bert was a ufa the 2 years prior yeah he probably gets a 1st but theres just too many players this year.
Byrr liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:41 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers

Nobody‘s value is measured over the course of 9 games. Don’t be ridiculous.

Hockey people know what Tyler Bertuzzi is and what he brings to the rink every time he steps out on the ice. He is the epitome of everything great about the game of hockey.

The luscious long hair and missing teeth alone is worth a 1st round pick. Hey, look, I can be silly too.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:43 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
I don't know why you're so offended. Look at the market this year. Horvat, Kane, ROR, Gavrikov, Chychrun, Tarasenko, Meier are all reportedly on the block and will all get at least a 1st. Then you got guys like Toews, Gostisbhere, Monahan who are ufas are having great seasons. How many 1sts do you think get traded every deadline? Which one of those guys would Bertuzzi get a 1st over? If Bert was a ufa the 2 years prior yeah he probably gets a 1st but theres just too many players this year.

The fact that you bring up Toews, Goestisbehere & Monahan to prove a point about trading 1st makes your credibility below zero.

For Goofy’s sake, Sean Monahan had to be attached to a 1st round pick just for someone to take him. And you think someone will give up a 1st to get him? Lmfao. Somebody stop this man. 😂😂
tonyhzs liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:45 p.m.

There are always teams looking for players like bertuzzi, especially at the deadline. He will be back soon and once he gets up to speed he will be good. Yzerman could sign and trade him or allow the team to speak with Bert about an extension once he's traded. Gritty playoff performers, especially ones that can drive play, score and get under other teams skin are always in demand.
IDKtbh and tonyhzs liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:47 p.m.
Thank you. I am curious as to what your impression is of the team in its current state. Obviously it’s been a successful season thus far for the Devils but, what move, if at all, do you see the team making to solidify themselves as a Stanley Cup contender?

Also, you guys really like Seamus, huh. Lol.

Yes we love Casey, but also Nemec is our 3RHD either next year or following, so spending that much on Hronek makes no sense.
IDKtbh, x1x1x1x and Tintin liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
I'd do the Toronto trade, if we take back smith to make the money work for Boston trade I think it should be two thirds. Not really crazy about getting rid of hronek. Sunny should bring a 2nd or 3rd on his own . I'd like it better if you took out wallman and foegele on the Edmonton trade. Overall though they are resonable.

Thank you.

I don’t really love moving Hronek either but, if we can get a young RHD back and a 1st rounder in the 23’ draft, I’m doing it all day. I do like Hronek but when he’s due a raise, I just don’t know how comfortable I’ll be with potentially paying him $8m a year. I think in 2 years I’d rather have a 20 year old RHD ready to come up and another Marco Kasper type player scratching the surface over an $8m Filip Hronek, but that’s just me.

As far as the Oilers & Maatta go, I feel like those two are a match made in heaven. I think at the bare minimum we get a 2nd for him alone but I figured it’s sexier to get the 1st rounders back so I made it worth their while.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:52 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
There are always teams looking for players like bertuzzi, especially at the deadline. He will be back soon and once he gets up to speed he will be good. Yzerman could sign and trade him or allow the team to speak with Bert about an extension once he's traded. Gritty playoff performers, especially ones that can drive play, score and get under other teams skin are always in demand.

To be honest, I think the fact that Bertuzzi is a rental for a team like Toronto is one of the key components to his value to that team. They can’t really afford to take back players with term unless the player is on a basement type deal. Being able to move on from whoever they bring in won’t hamper their future contracts for Auston Matthews and/or William Nylander. Both of whom will get sizable raises or potentially lose one or both in a year.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:53 p.m.
Patrickkanefanatic
The fact that you bring up Toews, Goestisbehere & Monahan to prove a point about trading 1st makes your credibility below zero.

For Goofy’s sake, Sean Monahan had to be attached to a 1st round pick just for someone to take him. And you think someone will give up a 1st to get him? Lmfao. Somebody stop this man. 😂😂

I didn't mean those guys get 1sts, but teams will want them too. I don't know why you're questioning my credibility when you guys ignore the fact that theres way a bunch of better players available this year at the deadline.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: NJDevils1317
Yes we love Casey, but also Nemec is our 3RHD either next year or following, so spending that much on Hronek makes no sense.

Well, I wouldn’t say it makes no sense. I think with the early success NJD is having this year, it’s important to ask some key questions.

Is this team in its current form, a Stanley Cup contender?

What areas on the team need to be addressed in order to compete with and/or win a series against the juggernauts of the league?

Do you see Severson returning next year? Graves? Siegenthaler? Everyone will be due raises or not return.

How many of the current forwards with a year left on their deals will return next year? The RFAs will be expensive.

Luke Hughes & Simon Nemec are incredible prospects but how far away are they? Next year? The year after?
Dec. 21, 2022 at 5:06 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
I didn't mean those guys get 1sts, but teams will want them too. I don't know why you're questioning my credibility when you guys ignore the fact that theres way a bunch of better players available this year at the deadline.

I’m not ignoring the fact that other players at other positions are available. If you stayed on topic and didn’t just list random players that have no business being mentioned, we could have a constructive debate. I said what I said because of that.

Horvat, Kane & Chychrun, in my opinion will cost more than what Bertuzzi will. I think of all the players mentioned, Ryan O’Reilly will be the closest comparable to Tyler.

A player like Patrick Kane makes more than twice what Bertuzzi makes, thus making a deal more difficult for a team like TOR. There are a number of variables for why or how a trade may or may not make sense.

Considering the stylistic differences between Kane & Bertuzzi, one could even argue that Tyler would make Toronto better equipped for the postseason than Patrick Kane would. They’re completely different players. Not to mention, adding Kane instead of Bertuzzi would likely mean moving Kerfoot while, acquiring Bert probably wouldn’t.
tonyhzs liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 5:10 p.m.
As a wings fan, Im still of the mindset to be patient. I think we have a lot of valuable pieces that we should be moving to add younger guys and draft picks. IMO Seider is the real building block. Dude plays so smart and seasoned at such a young age. Not to mention his physical ability. When he hits his prime, I like to think he's going to be another Victor Hedman. But I think his career will be very lengthy just because he plays so smart. That type of mindset for a defenseman usually breeds longevity. We've got some decent prospects in our pipeline. But with a pieces like Seider, Raymond, Kasper, Edvinsson, homegrown Carter Mazur, Sebrango, Soderblom, Rasmussen, patience is the name of the game. All these guys are still children and we've got a pretty deep prospect pool. Lots of hometown vets who will stick around for maybe even the rest of their careers. We still need to find some serious high end offensive talent and fill out the d core. I really like Rasmussens game. I think hes got a ton of potential to be a two way power forward force who becomes outstanding defensively. I wouldnt be opposed to selling guys when their values are high, even if it would be of benefit to keep them around. Guys like Hronek, Kubalik, Sundqvist.
tonyhzs, IDKtbh and aedoran liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll