Forums/Armchair-GM

If You ReBuild It They Will Come

Created by: IDKtbh
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 21, 2022
Published: Dec. 21, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think we’re sorely lacking of prospects with offensive upside, specifically up the middle and we need an influx of those in our pipeline. Also, we don’t have much to speak of in terms of RHD prospects, so those are the two areas I aimed to address. This upcoming draft is loaded with high end centermen and skilled forwards even later in the 1st round.

The Bertuzzi deal is right on par with what his return should be; a 1st round pick in 2023 and a B (or better) prospect.

Moving Hronek will be unpopular amongst the Wings’ fanbase but, he’s been playing out of his mind this year at a PPG clip and I’m a firm believer in selling when values are high. NJD gets better right now by adding Hronek, and also gives them a replacement for next year when Severson is likely gone. Sundqvist gives them additional playoff enforcements with a big, versatile forward that can play every position, in any scenario on any line. The retention on Filip’s contract and taking back Johnnson’s contract is costly but I think the compensation is appropriate all things considered.

The Suter deal, I think Boston makes out like bandits. Replacing a high paid waiver dump with a quality two-way forward for only a couple mid picks.

The Oilers may be one of the most aggressive teams at the deadline and they are able to upgrade in multiple areas while dumping future salary on players that just aren’t cutting it in the process. This is another that likely won’t be very popular amongst Wings’ fans.

Obviously all of these trades are super unrealistic in the sense that we won’t be doing all of them but, I think they’re pretty logical and fair deals for all parties. I personally would be thrilled if something like this happened. I would use a majority of the picks in the first three rounds on centers/forwards.

The lineup I set was just for viewing purposes, I don’t expect the obvious players to suit up this year. I just wanted to get a look at what our magnificent defense would look like in a couple years. 😍
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$920,000
3$920,000
3$920,000
Trades
DET
  1. Niemelä, Topi
  2. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (OTT)
TOR
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($2,375,000 retained)
DET
  1. Casey, Seamus [Reserve List]
  2. Johnsson, Andreas
  3. 2023 1st round pick (NJD)
  4. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Hronek, Filip ($1,750,000 retained)
  2. Sundqvist, Oskar
DET
  1. Smith, Craig
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
  3. 2023 4th round pick (BOS)
DET
  1. Foegele, Warren
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  3. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
  5. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$72,482,223$0$3,940,000$10,017,777
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$878,333$878,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
RFA - 1
$920,000$920,000
LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
G
RFA - 4
$820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$856,667$856,667
RD
RFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$920,000$920,000
LD
RFA
$920,000$920,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,825,000$1,825,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 21, 2022 at 6:41 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: IDKtbh
Let’s add a few more variables in there like, do we have 4 players eating up 50% of our cap and bounced in the 1st round the last 5 years in a row and our best player and arguably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world leaving us in 1.5 seasons, the answer would be “No, thank you, we’re good on Michael Bunting.” However, if you were offering Tyler Bertuzzi, a guy who hasn’t benefitted from playing with $20m line mates for the duration of his 18 month career sporting inflated production, the answer would be, “Yes, we would.”

Well tried to argue facts unsure .
Guess you didn’t like the reasonable comparable which showed why your trade proposal was so weak.

Love you guys who support garbage teams - your team and players are great but when it’s trade time “our players don’t get to play with any great players 😢 so they’re better than they actually are “ 😅
Bunting put up similar numbers with Coyotes albeit in limited sample size.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: tonyhzs
Yes the Wings would consider it. Bertuzzi is better though, despite limited analytics. Bunting puts similar numbers up on a better team. Much better team the last few years. Bertuzzi put his numbers up on a team with limited/only 1 legit top 4 D that can move the puck. Huge difference where you start with the puck on offense and how much you have to back check. Bunting also plays with one of the best playmakers (take your pick amongst Tavares or Marner) and one of the best 2 goal scorers right now.

Simple solution, Leafs will sign bunting next year and forego trading for bertuzzi. Win win
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:01 p.m.
Patrickkanefanatic

When you say, if this was last year, you could easily see Bertuzzi going for this kind of return, the argument could be made that, what has changed with Bertuzzi since then to warrant being viewed as no longer worthy? If it’s two unlucky unrelated injuries directly due to his competitive nature, then the answer is absolutely nothing.

Look at the players available those years compared to this year. In 2021, the top players available at the deadline was Foligno, Hall and Savard. Last year it was Chiarot and Giroux. Both Hall and Giroux only would trades to like 1 or 2 teams. So those guys don't really count. I think Bertuzzi gets a 1st over Foligno, Chariot and Savard. I don't think he pulls in a 1st when Kane, ROR, Tarasenko, and Horvat are all available rentals. In previous years the demand exceeded the supply, this year just seems like the opposite. I think if Bertuzzi signs a reasonable extension as part of the trade he might get a 1st.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
If we're looking at a large-scale teardown, now would be a good time to sell high on Hronek. Wings don't really have anyone in the system that could replace him though.
Note on that, I'm not sure Niemela is the answer there. Lately, any prospect the Leafs fans hype to the moon usually turns into a depth player or a complete bust.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: kster34
Well tried to argue facts unsure .
Guess you didn’t like the reasonable comparable which showed why your trade proposal was so weak.

Love you guys who support garbage teams - your team and players are great but when it’s trade time “our players don’t get to play with any great players 😢 so they’re better than they actually are “ 😅
Bunting put up similar numbers with Coyotes albeit in limited sample size.

I know it might be hard to fathom but my opinion of Bertuzzi’s skillset or value has nothing to do with my being a fan of the Detroit Red Wings. I’m not a homer, brother.

Bunting is a poor comparison to Bertuzzi. He’s got one full season under his belt and he’s played with Mitch Marner or similar the entire year. His entire career is a “sample size”, up to this point.

It’s a bad comparison. So, if your question is, if the Detroit Red Wings were exactly the Toronto Maple Leafs, with the exact roster and situation/history, the answer is a resounding yes, I would absolutely take the opportunity to add Bertuzzi to the group.

Honestly, you will see the difference he makes on whichever team acquires him at the deadline. He is an impactful player on the ice and a very admirable locker room guy despite what you may have heard.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:09 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HypotheticalImpossibility
If we're looking at a large-scale teardown, now would be a good time to sell high on Hronek. Wings don't really have anyone in the system that could replace him though.
Note on that, I'm not sure Niemela is the answer there. Lately, any prospect the Leafs fans hype to the moon usually turns into a depth player or a complete bust.

This is sort of what happened to the Wings. Only difference is is a couple cups in the 2000s, a SCF appearance, and several playoff series wins. Otherwise, about the same.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:10 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: Patrickkane
Look at the players available those years compared to this year. In 2021, the top players available at the deadline was Foligno, Hall and Savard. Last year it was Chiarot and Giroux. Both Hall and Giroux only would trades to like 1 or 2 teams. So those guys don't really count. I think Bertuzzi gets a 1st over Foligno, Chariot and Savard. I don't think he pulls in a 1st when Kane, ROR, Tarasenko, and Horvat are all available rentals. In previous years the demand exceeded the supply, this year just seems like the opposite. I think if Bertuzzi signs a reasonable extension as part of the trade he might get a 1st.

IF all of those guys are indeed moved - Honestly, that is a reasonable argument on how the Wings potentially wouldn’t get a 1st rounder for Bertuzzi - a bad one is saying he isn’t worth that type of return.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:15 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: HypotheticalImpossibility

I got the chance this year to watch a majority of the WJC games to get a glimpse at some of the Wings’ prospects. So, I paid close attention to Finland games to get a look at Emil Viro however, Topi Niemala was the player that stood out for me. I really liked what I saw from him and the Hirvonen kid looked pretty good too.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:19 p.m.
Banned
IF all of those guys are indeed moved - Honestly, that is a reasonable argument on how the Wings potentially wouldn’t get a 1st rounder for Bertuzzi - a bad one is saying he isn’t worth that type of return.

Especially since ROR and Tarasenko only get moved as non rentals, since STL is still vying for playoffs.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:23 p.m.
Banned

Horvat is the only one that for sure moves, and I'm not sure the value. ROR and Tarasenko are still pieces to keep for the STL playoffs, so if they get moved the haul has to be equivalent today. Neither Blues player gets moved unless the team implodes and everything becomes for sale. Otherwise, Bennington aside, this is a cup contender.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:32 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Horvat is the only one that for sure moves, and I'm not sure the value. ROR and Tarasenko are still pieces to keep for the STL playoffs, so if they get moved the haul has to be equivalent today. Neither Blues player gets moved unless the team implodes and everything becomes for sale. Otherwise, Bennington aside, this is a cup contender.

Yeah, true. I didn’t realize STL had won games recently after the atrocious start to the season they had.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:52 p.m.
Patrickkanefanatic

Another thing I didn't mention is people say this draft is pretty deep and strong no? So less teams might be interested in trading a 1st as well. I never said Bertuzzi isn't worth a 1st, I just have a hard time believing he'll get one under all these circumstances.
IDKtbh liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:53 p.m.
Patrickkanefanatic

Binnington aside? "Oh if you just ignore we have one of the worst starting goalies we're a cup contender". lol what
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:55 p.m.
Kster
I know it might be hard to fathom but my opinion of Bertuzzi’s skillset or value has nothing to do with my being a fan of the Detroit Red Wings. I’m not a homer, brother.

Bunting is a poor comparison to Bertuzzi. He’s got one full season under his belt and he’s played with Mitch Marner or similar the entire year. His entire career is a “sample size”, up to this point.

It’s a bad comparison. So, if your question is, if the Detroit Red Wings were exactly the Toronto Maple Leafs, with the exact roster and situation/history, the answer is a resounding yes, I would absolutely take the opportunity to add Bertuzzi to the group.

Honestly, you will see the difference he makes on whichever team acquires him at the deadline. He is an impactful player on the ice and a very admirable locker room guy despite what you may have heard.

Appreciate your input, but you kind of sound like a homer. Granted I haven’t watched bertuzzi closely and Leafs have owned wings past number of years so it may not be fair - but he didn’t impress that much . His career numbers aren’t that great : 0.3 goals & 0.67 points per game. Even last 3 years 0.42 goals & 0.85 points per game are good but not great.
I’m not against adding him but No Chance at that price. Maybe a 2023 2nd (or 2024 1st) + prospect (not Knies and not Niemela). If not, no worries there will be lots of forwards available to TDL.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 7:57 p.m.
Huh? Hands? Important? Ohhhh, man, you know you’re right. I was confusing hockey with soccer cuz there’s like a goal and a goalie and all that stuff, I forgot that hands are important. Hey, honestly, thanks man. I goofed up big time on that one.

Hey, do you think I could get your valuable perspective on the Frosties from Wendy’s? Cuz it comes with a spoon but, you also get a straw so, is it ice cream or is it a shake or maybe something previously nameless in between, like umm, idk maybe like a frost… ahh, that’s it - its not ice cream or a shake; it’s a Frosty. Thanks again, man wow, you are on a roll today.

So you've got nothing of value to add, just that the injury which required surgery wasn't a major thing? Ok, good luck with that.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:02 p.m.
Banned
Binnington aside? "Oh if you just ignore we have one of the worst starting goalies we're a cup contender". lol what

Who can go on a tear if he gets his head back right.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: Byrr
So you've got nothing of value to add, just that the injury which required surgery wasn't a major thing? Ok, good luck with that.

No, you had all the answers. Didn’t you?

All I wanted to make clear is that a broken hand from a blocked shot does not make a player injury prone or diminish his value.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:07 p.m.
No, you had all the answers. Didn’t you?

All I wanted to make clear is that a broken hand from a blocked shot does not make a player injury prone or diminish his value.

Injuries diminish value by adding risk. How is that player going to recover? A riskier asset is a less valuable asset. This is true of just about any injury that makes a player LTIR eligible.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:14 p.m.
Banned
Who can go on a tear if he gets his head back right.

Binnington is scary good when his head is right. Take it from a guy who has watched Hasek post Sabres and Mrazek. I know the type. Stl could go on a 10 game streak of points just as easily as a slump. I'd bet on Binnington, and that is based purely on hunch.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:19 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: kster34
Appreciate your input, but you kind of sound like a homer. Granted I haven’t watched bertuzzi closely and Leafs have owned wings past number of years so it may not be fair - but he didn’t impress that much . His career numbers aren’t that great : 0.3 goals & 0.67 points per game. Even last 3 years 0.42 goals & 0.85 points per game are good but not great.
I’m not against adding him but No Chance at that price. Maybe a 2023 2nd (or 2024 1st) + prospect (not Knies and not Niemela). If not, no worries there will be lots of forwards available to TDL.

Thanks. Usually the people that take issue with the high Bertuzzi packages typically will admit to not being super familiar with him and I can appreciate when that happens because you don’t expect people to know other teams players very well. I do appreciate you communicating that tho.

I mean, my trades on here typically demonstrate a return that benefits the Red Wings, because that’s what I would like. More often than not, though, I know when I am being a bit overzealous with a particular return.

I do view this particular package to be on the high side for Bertuzzi but, not by much. Without the 3rd rounder it’s much closer and maybe Detroit adding a 4th, I think that would make it exactly equal. If this draft wasn’t so strong, the return would be appropriate as is.

I am very high on Niemala so, personally I’d take him and a 2nd for Bert, but I think Bert could net a return very close to the one in the initial post.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:22 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Injuries diminish value by adding risk. How is that player going to recover? A riskier asset is a less valuable asset. This is true of just about any injury that makes a player LTIR eligible.

They only diminish value by adding risk if there is a strong likelihood of a future occurrence or re-aggravation of the same injury.

This is not the case, sir. I would hope at some point you are able to see that.

Robby Fabbri on the other hand coming back from his 3rd ACL injury, is in fact, injury prone.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:28 p.m.
They only diminish value by adding risk if there is a strong likelihood of a future occurrence or re-aggravation of the same injury.

This is not the case, sir. I would hope at some point you are able to see that.

Robby Fabbri on the other hand coming back from his 3rd ACL injury, is in fact, injury prone.

There is added risk of reduced capability on the ice. A hand injury is especially prone to this. Take Auston Matthews for example. In the 21-22 offseason he had surgery on his hand. He came back and scored drastically fewer goals in the first month, largely attributed to him still recovering from this surgery. When you are trading for 2-3 months of a players service, like Bertuzzi, how he recovers in the short term is of big interest and a big risk ... and with more risk comes less value.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:38 p.m.
This is sort of what happened to the Wings. Only difference is is a couple cups in the 2000s, a SCF appearance, and several playoff series wins. Otherwise, about the same.

Fair point
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:52 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
There is added risk of reduced capability on the ice. A hand injury is especially prone to this. Take Auston Matthews for example. In the 21-22 offseason he had surgery on his hand. He came back and scored drastically fewer goals in the first month, largely attributed to him still recovering from this surgery. When you are trading for 2-3 months of a players service, like Bertuzzi, how he recovers in the short term is of big interest and a big risk ... and with more risk comes less value.

I’m really impressed with the stubbornness you’re putting on full display here.

One problem, though - Auston Matthews never had surgery on his hand. He had WRIST surgery.

Breaking a bone compared to joint/tendon injuries are night and day.

Are we making any progress here or do you have another attempt left in you to try and push that false narrative?
Dec. 21, 2022 at 8:54 p.m.
I’m really impressed with the stubbornness you’re putting on full display here.

One problem, though - Auston Matthews never had surgery on his hand. He had WRIST surgery.

Breaking a bone compared to joint/tendon injuries are night and day.

Are we making any progress here or do you have another attempt left in you to try and push that false narrative?

It's not stubbornness, its common sense that you fail to grasp. Added risk lowers value. It's a basically universal concept which can be applied almost anywhere. There is added risk right now with Bertuzzi who is returning from surgery. This isn't really debatable, it should be a very simple concept but yet you still manage.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll